INDustry distribution
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
Leakhana
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (F80)
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

2015 F80 DCT Life Span?

I have a lot 2015 F80, DCT with only 43k miles on it, and my clutch is being replaced at the moment. I bought it CPO in 2017, and out only 10k miles on it the last two years. The clutch is a wear part, but not the way I drive it. I drive it normally, meaning I donít floor it from a stop. My warranty just expired less than a month ago. I did take it in for normal servicing a month before the warranty expiration and let the service advisor I smelled a weird candle/crayon burning, and he said he would look into it, but apparently did not. Fast forward two months, I drove my car in sport mode, going about 40 mph, and the car gave me a high transmission temperature warning and went into limp mode; and again when I drove it home in the regular mode. Took it to the dealership, and they said the clutch is worn out, and that I would cost 7k to replace. I was more than upset. They helped me by reaching out to BMW since they could see on their computer system that I didnít drive it like a race car driver during my ownership. BMW is going to do a good will repair and pay most of the repair. Sorry for the long story, but if the previous owner drove it to crap, do I need to have someone look at the rest of the engine? Should I be concerned it will break down somewhere else? What is the lifespan of the DCT or clutches themselves? Again, it was CPO so I assumed the dealership I bought it from looked at all of the engine plus bumper to bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
rborane
First Lieutenant
30
Rep
314
Posts

Drives: BMW M4
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Phoenix AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakhana View Post
I have a lot 2015 F80, DCT with only 43k miles on it, and my clutch is being replaced at the moment. I bought it CPO in 2017, and out only 10k miles on it the last two years. The clutch is a wear part, but not the way I drive it. I drive it normally, meaning I donít floor it from a stop. My warranty just expired less than a month ago. I did take it in for normal servicing a month before the warranty expiration and let the service advisor I smelled a weird candle/crayon burning, and he said he would look into it, but apparently did not. Fast forward two months, I drove my car in sport mode, going about 40 mph, and the car gave me a high transmission temperature warning and went into limp mode; and again when I drove it home in the regular mode. Took it to the dealership, and they said the clutch is worn out, and that I would cost 7k to replace. I was more than upset. They helped me by reaching out to BMW since they could see on their computer system that I didnít drive it like a race car driver during my ownership. BMW is going to do a good will repair and pay most of the repair. Sorry for the long story, but if the previous owner drove it to crap, do I need to have someone look at the rest of the engine? Should I be concerned it will break down somewhere else? What is the lifespan of the DCT or clutches themselves? Again, it was CPO so I assumed the dealership I bought it from looked at all of the engine plus bumper to bumper.
Everything I have read has indicated the clutches are supposed to last 120-150K miles and that the trans is very reliable. That seems too low of miles to be replacing already.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
///M4ster Yoda
Brigadier General
///M4ster Yoda's Avatar
2991
Rep
3,530
Posts

Drives: '16 F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakhana View Post
I have a lot 2015 F80, DCT with only 43k miles on it, and my clutch is being replaced at the moment. I bought it CPO in 2017, and out only 10k miles on it the last two years. The clutch is a wear part, but not the way I drive it. I drive it normally, meaning I don’t floor it from a stop. My warranty just expired less than a month ago. I did take it in for normal servicing a month before the warranty expiration and let the service advisor I smelled a weird candle/crayon burning, and he said he would look into it, but apparently did not. Fast forward two months, I drove my car in sport mode, going about 40 mph, and the car gave me a high transmission temperature warning and went into limp mode; and again when I drove it home in the regular mode. Took it to the dealership, and they said the clutch is worn out, and that I would cost 7k to replace. I was more than upset. They helped me by reaching out to BMW since they could see on their computer system that I didn’t drive it like a race car driver during my ownership. BMW is going to do a good will repair and pay most of the repair. Sorry for the long story, but if the previous owner drove it to crap, do I need to have someone look at the rest of the engine? Should I be concerned it will break down somewhere else? What is the lifespan of the DCT or clutches themselves? Again, it was CPO so I assumed the dealership I bought it from looked at all of the engine plus bumper to bumper.
Sorry to hear this man. CPO is nothing more then a marketing ploy. I would bet that most dealerships do the bare minimum before CPOing a car.

At the end of the day CPO is en extended warranty. Nothing more. Glad to hear BMW good willed the repair for you.

Good luck
__________________
'03 330 '04 325 '08 328 '11 335 '11 335is
'14 335 '16 340 '16 M4 (Retired)
4 ED's 1 PCD
Current Stable: '19 X3 (Wifey) '20 ZCP M4 (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
F82PRETEND
Colonel
F82PRETEND's Avatar
960
Rep
2,723
Posts

Drives: Freya - 2018 MGM M4
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (5)

A guess...prior owner did his/her fair share of launch control sessions?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
TanzaniteBlue
BMWphile
United_States
17
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NY/NJ

iTrader: (0)

Iíd have them check the crank hub as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 03:37 AM   #6
Otar_M4
Enlisted Member
17
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: F82 ///M4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

this sounds like what i experienced before. my 2014 M4 gave me high transmission temperature weeks before my warranty ended. When i sent for servicing, i told the service advisor but later informed by him there was nothing wrong with the car.

fast forward a few weeks, after my warranty ended, the high transmission temperature error messages came on again.

I informed the service advisor and he told me to bring the car in for checks. however, i would have to pay for the diagnosis charge since the car was already out of warranty.

I was taken aback and reminded him that i actually surfaced the problem before the warranty was over but nothing was done. anyway, cut the long story short, he told me to monitor the car for awhile more.

it has been more than a month, and i have not gotten the high transmission error. keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakhana View Post
I have a lot 2015 F80, DCT with only 43k miles on it, and my clutch is being replaced at the moment. I bought it CPO in 2017, and out only 10k miles on it the last two years. The clutch is a wear part, but not the way I drive it. I drive it normally, meaning I donít floor it from a stop. My warranty just expired less than a month ago. I did take it in for normal servicing a month before the warranty expiration and let the service advisor I smelled a weird candle/crayon burning, and he said he would look into it, but apparently did not. Fast forward two months, I drove my car in sport mode, going about 40 mph, and the car gave me a high transmission temperature warning and went into limp mode; and again when I drove it home in the regular mode. Took it to the dealership, and they said the clutch is worn out, and that I would cost 7k to replace. I was more than upset. They helped me by reaching out to BMW since they could see on their computer system that I didnít drive it like a race car driver during my ownership. BMW is going to do a good will repair and pay most of the repair. Sorry for the long story, but if the previous owner drove it to crap, do I need to have someone look at the rest of the engine? Should I be concerned it will break down somewhere else? What is the lifespan of the DCT or clutches themselves? Again, it was CPO so I assumed the dealership I bought it from looked at all of the engine plus bumper to bumper.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:56 PM   #7
Leakhana
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (F80)
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Do you smell any weird smells like oil burning? Update: I had a valve gasket leak and a faulty sensor. The clutch was just fine. The gasket was under warranty since the emissions warranty is 8 years. The sensor was not under warranty, but the diagnostic fee covered the fix. I hope youíre car is okay. I freak out about these things because the last thing I want is for anything that is easily/cheaply fixed to cause a bigger and more expensive issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Otar_M4 View Post
this sounds like what i experienced before. my 2014 M4 gave me high transmission temperature weeks before my warranty ended. When i sent for servicing, i told the service advisor but later informed by him there was nothing wrong with the car.

fast forward a few weeks, after my warranty ended, the high transmission temperature error messages came on again.

I informed the service advisor and he told me to bring the car in for checks. however, i would have to pay for the diagnosis charge since the car was already out of warranty.

I was taken aback and reminded him that i actually surfaced the problem before the warranty was over but nothing was done. anyway, cut the long story short, he told me to monitor the car for awhile more.

it has been more than a month, and i have not gotten the high transmission error. keeping my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #8
Leakhana
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW M3 (F80)
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzaniteBlue View Post
Iíd have them check the crank hub as well.
It turned out to be a faulty sensor that put the car into limp mode, and the smell was from oil leaking from the cover gasket. Iím hoping nothing else is wrong with the car. The dealership said the mechanic checked everything since he was already digging into the clutch.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2019, 01:38 AM   #9
hellokitty
hello kitty oke ??
hellokitty's Avatar
North Korea
849
Rep
1,825
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT | '12 335iS DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Korea

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakhana View Post
It turned out to be a faulty sensor that put the car into limp mode, and the smell was from oil leaking from the cover gasket. Iím hoping nothing else is wrong with the car. The dealership said the mechanic checked everything since he was already digging into the clutch.
Was the dct cover cracked?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 05:54 AM   #10
Otar_M4
Enlisted Member
17
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: F82 ///M4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Singapore

iTrader: (0)

no weird smells and the message would just come on for about 10-20sec then go off by itself.

since my last post, the error message came on a few more times. i noticed during these times when the error came on, i was in a slow start/stop traffic due to heavy congestion. the ambient temp (based on what the car's display is close to 100įF). not sure if these are the cause.

anyway, unless the error message comes on too regularly, i am just gonna leave it until the next servicing is due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakhana View Post
Do you smell any weird smells like oil burning? Update: I had a valve gasket leak and a faulty sensor. The clutch was just fine. The gasket was under warranty since the emissions warranty is 8 years. The sensor was not under warranty, but the diagnostic fee covered the fix. I hope youíre car is okay. I freak out about these things because the last thing I want is for anything that is easily/cheaply fixed to cause a bigger and more expensive issue.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 02:48 AM   #11
papasmurf_m3
Private First Class
papasmurf_m3's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: YMB F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakhana View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanzaniteBlue View Post
I'd have them check the crank hub as well.
It turned out to be a faulty sensor that put the car into limp mode, and the smell was from oil leaking from the cover gasket. I'm hoping nothing else is wrong with the car. The dealership said the mechanic checked everything since he was already digging into the clutch.
Could you tell us what sensor was faulty and was it from oil saturating it or just went out at 40k miles?

Glad to hear your car is ok now. I'd freak out if I heard and saw that too. Cars can make us so emotional in a good or bad way.
__________________
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Instagram - @papasmurf_m3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
#dct #m3 #clutch #f80

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST