Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #177
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin_pdx View Post
Passenger side I got it backwards my bad. Would it make a difference if the passenger side continued inside the single midpipe to accomplish the equal length that needed while the driver side stops in front of the single mid. So then you dont have to worry about room or clearance.

I guess it would be easier to keep the midpipe alone and work on the passager side pipe pass the diff and rout it to the driver side connecting to a e46 type muffler, right. I wounder if e46 muffler would fit?
This is what I alluded to in a previous post. Easiest way to accomplish is remove the stock resonator, keep pipes separate, and cross passenger side over to driver's side to an e46 style muffler. It's anybody's guess if e46 will fit but I'd rather go with something more modern anyways. I'm sure mufflers have improved in the last 10-15 years.

My car is going in to get this design fabricated in 2 weeks. Will record and post results. Very much looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #178
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
This is what I alluded to in a previous post. Easiest way to accomplish is remove the stock resonator, keep pipes separate, and cross passenger side over to driver's side to an e46 style muffler. It's anybody's guess if e46 will fit but I'd rather go with something more modern anyways. I'm sure mufflers have improved in the last 10-15 years.

My car is going in to get this design fabricated in 2 weeks. Will record and post results. Very much looking forward to it.
That's a good idea. If you go around the rear end with some creativity you'll reach the 14" or so of additional length needed. I think having a merge into 4" tubing for about a foot would help it sound even better. You'd probably have to have a transversely mounted muffler and no valves, but I believe it would help a lot.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:42 AM   #179
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Here's a pretty raw video of mine with a phone taped to the rear bumper catless with 4 resonators in the midpipe, large X type merge and stock ZCP rear muffler valves open. It's a bit deeper than stock with valves closed, no drone. It's a lot louder than stock with valves open, much smoother with far less rasp than any catless exhaust I've heard to date and supports 530rwhp.
Appreciate 3
ntg442888.50
shay2nak1070.00
      11-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #180
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNev View Post

Here's a pretty raw video of mine with a phone taped to the rear bumper catless with 4 resonators in the midpipe, large X type merge and stock ZCP rear muffler valves open. It's a bit deeper than stock with valves closed, no drone. It's a lot louder than stock with valves open, much smoother with far less rasp than any catless exhaust I've heard to date and supports 530rwhp.

GREAT job. The engine actually sings at really high RPMs. Can't believe it's catless, rasps less than completely stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:00 AM   #181
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Vendors are watching this thread like a hawk, feverishly ordering material and calling in extra shifts for a Christmastime product launch
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #182
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Vendors are watching this thread like a hawk, feverishly ordering material and calling in extra shifts for a Christmastime product launch

Seriously.

Don't you think it's odd that not one vendor has said anything yet? They're totally working behind the scenes on this one to be the first to market. And they know that the market will pay pretty much whatever the hell they want them to. That's the sad part.

I've already been reached out to by multiple members about making additional units once mine is done in 2 weeks. Absolutely do not want to take any credit away from RMDZidane, because this would never have blown up without his leadership, but I'm strongly considering a Kickstarter if my end result is as good as I'm hoping it to be. Part of it as a middle finger to all who will overcharge for this, but mostly as a way to give back to the community which I've learned so much from.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #183
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

That sounds pretty good. I like that it has some smoother notes which, at least to my ear, give it some Alfa Romeo V6 character.

What I notice about most S55 exhaust set ups is that there seems to be some terrible 'doppler' effect while revving, even while sitting still it's the craziest thing. It's like an old Pontiac 6000 fwd got a cool muffler on it. I think there is a vid somewhere on this site comparing the M3 sound with that
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i

Last edited by RMDZidane; 11-01-2019 at 08:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #184
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
GREAT job. The engine actually sings at really high RPMs. Can't believe it's catless, rasps less than completely stock.
It took 24" of resonators on each pipe to remove the rasp with catless downpipes and the merge in front of the resonators made it sing at high revs. It sounds better in the flesh than it does in the video and much better than a full Akrapovic catless system I've heard to me sounded dreadful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 09:06 AM   #185
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDZidane View Post
That sounds pretty good. I like that it has some smoother notes which, at least to my ear, give it some Alfa Romeo V6 character.
You have a good ear There's a slight hint of inline 6 note at light throttle low revs but predominantly it sounds more like a V6 is what I thought when initially driving the car with the window down.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #186
Envy ///M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
I'm the member that spool twice is referencing. I fabricated an exhaust over two years ago that creates the 'correct' sound for an I6 engine. That first M3 I had got sold and I took the exhaust off. I dug it out when I bought another M3 last month and my initial exhaust attempt didn't sound right. I had to make the passenger side pipe longer so that's what I did. I'll put up a video tomorrow that shows it's sound characteristics. I'm still tweaking the layout I want (single dual-tip exit right now), but it now sounds good. I'm talking to an exhaust manufacturer here in the L.A area that may be able to produce it for me in quantity.
I'm doing this because the aftermarket with regard to exhausts for this M3 is f'ing sad. I think the state of exhaust choices for F80 M3 enthusiasts shows that all the companies don't want to do any real R&D and are just chasing $'s
I'm a big I6 enthusiast and have owned MKIV Supras, 335i's, old BMW 2800cs's, and a Dodge 3500 w/Cummins. I've even owned an old Ford truck with a 300ci I6 from way back in the 1970's and a BMW Bavaria (does anyone even know those ever existed?). I'm one of the few people that doesn't like the v8 sound. I prefer an Inline six, or pretty much any engine that is naturally balanced...... I just thought an exhaust company would've figured out why their exhaust sounds so bad, or even that there was an issue with the S55 by now....because I have

Please please please make this a reality for the rest of us. Dual exit setup preferably
Appreciate 1
prompt292.00
      11-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #187
RMDZidane
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy ///M3 View Post
Please please please make this a reality for the rest of us. Dual exit setup preferably
Next week I'm going to start the process of building this exhaust with valves.

I'd like to be successful with improving the sound, and if that happens I'll manufacture them.
I'm not sure about the single exit exhaust as a solid plan, even though it's WAY lighter than stock....if I build 25 of them, I'm not sure I'd sell them.. But that design will be finalized next week also.
2013 BMW X1 xDrive 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:21 PM   #188
ronin_pdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m4

Quote:

I'd like to be successful with improving the sound, and if that happens I'll manufacture them.
I'm not sure about the single exit exhaust as a solid plan, even though it's WAY lighter than stock....if I build 25 of them, I'm not sure I'd sell them.. But that design will be finalized next week also.
This is what we need for a start even those if you dont sell any we need lay out so these exhaust company can make there version better or we can use this to make our own.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 02:21 AM   #189
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

If it retains the quad outlets and doesn't drone too much in the car it'll be a winner. I don't think a single dual outlet would inspire many despite the better note in all honesty.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:24 AM   #190
X.X.I.V
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
if I build 25 of them, I'm not sure I'd sell them..
Oh there's plenty of us on here, don't be surprised when your sold out in a few hrs.....

As for the kickstarter, would it be a full exhaust system already fabricated.
Or could it be just the parts and the schematics to go to your own exhaust shop to complete, save on the shipping cost..... just a thought
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #191
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Be careful with a kickstarter, an exhaust manufacturer is going to be able to get to market a lot faster and you don't want to be left holding the bag.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #192
Envy ///M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
If it retains the quad outlets and doesn't drone too much in the car it'll be a winner. I don't think a single dual outlet would inspire many despite the better note in all honesty.
Agreed, most people want an OEM look just better sound. So +1 for quad tips on the final design
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #193
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
how about a center resonator/H-pipe delete and then add a series of bends/curves on the passenger side pipe (like 3" bends, there are two, one to deviate and one to bring it back to the "normal" pipe, so one 3" bend would equal 6" in length, 2 3" bends will equal 12"). You are essentially adding length this way. There is room once you remove the center resonator...

if the bends are smooth, it should have very minimal impacts on anything on flow characteristics. I know my drawing sucks below, but my hands aren't very good with the mouse.

And then add an H-pipe directly behind the rear diff to merge them back together:

Last edited by spool twice; 11-02-2019 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #194
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Seems that would severely hinder flow even with smooth bends.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:27 AM   #195
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spool twice View Post
how about a center resonator/H-pipe delete and then add a series of bends/curves on the passenger side pipe (like 3" bends, there are two, one to deviate and one to bring it back to the "normal" pipe, so one 3" bend would equal 6" in length, 2 3" bends will equal 12"). You are essentially adding length this way. There is room once you remove the center resonator...

if the bends are smooth, it should have very minimal impacts on anything on flow characteristics. I know my drawing sucks below, but my hands aren't very good with the mouse.

And then add an H-pipe directly behind the rear diff to merge them back together
I got the car on a lift yesterday to discuss my project with the fabricator. There’s no room for the bends you’re describing by the stock resonator. The picture is deceiving in some places because the depth gets lost due to the lower resolution.

The closest I’ve gotten to a system that keeps the stock muffler would be to cross over the passenger side where you put the h pipe. That’s roughly a foot. Then bend it along the drivers side pipe and merge it there, and x pipe it out to the inner exhaust entrances with a follow through to the passenger side outer entrance.

It’s incredibly tight, and you might need to move the drivers side pipe after the axle bends to make room for the passenger side. Not even sure if it’s feasible based on physically seeing everything and where it’s at.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #196
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
that too is tight, I went to my exhaust shop with that intent as well but wanted to look at other options too. Space underneath there is terrible unfortunately, but at least the passenger side bend into the drivers side behind the diff wouldn't create as much of a restriction I suppose. Its still my intent but just tossing out other possibilities short of deleted the OE muffler altogether (last resort).

It would be interesting to find out how many different variations we all try to accomplish a similar end result though, toss around idea's for others.

Last edited by spool twice; 11-02-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #197
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Am I the only one who doesn't think the exhaust in those vids sounds that much different from anything else?
Appreciate 1
swagon13522.50
      11-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #198
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't think the exhaust in those vids sounds that much different from anything else?
If by anything else you mean other exhausts, I disagree. The equal length correction definitely gives the exhaust more of a pitch vs the other systems.

If by anything else you mean other cars, then I can see an argument there. There's a hint of RB in the corrected length at full throttle, but I suppose generally it sounds closer to a smooth V6 without the Chewbacca characteristic that stop most V6s from sounding good. But given the turbo and exhaust layout, I don't think we should be surprised by that.

In the end, I think of it this way. Look what someone was able to do with their free time and compare it to what all these manufacturers spent on R&D for their systems. Imagine if that level of effort and budget was applied to the same philosophy and design as this one. This is just the start.

I have a set budget in mind to experiment with my own single exit being fabbed up in 2 weeks. I'll see how many iterations it takes before finalizing or giving up. But I'm willing to take a chance on this, since what I've seen so far looks promising.

And if not, I have a great solution to fall back on with the resonator swap

Last edited by ntg44; 11-15-2019 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0