Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #45
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That's odd, I don't feel any undue lag on downshifts in S2. Sure they are not as crisp and immediate as in S3, but they are still at least as fast as what I could achieve. S1 does have significant delay as it will not do a rev-matched downshift most of the time in that mode.
I can't drive my ZCP DCT in anything less than S3 or it annoys me - too lazy. CS is likely much crisper so we are talking apples/orange, surely, but still.

I do agree with a previous poster that the problem with S3 is the WOT upshifts and so I get around this by lifting slightly in that situation unless I'm pointed perfectly straight - then I let'er rip.

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:11 PM   #46
phantom7835
Professional Nostalgist
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 92 Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pic18 View Post
I never drove a 1LE on the track so I can't really compare, but driving one on a quick test drive I couldn't get over the lack of visibility in that thing. Totally distracted me from any pluses it might have had.

Really wish I could swing a CS right now, but my F80 has plenty of life left in it and I can't justify the price difference at the moment.
This is exactly why I chose my F87 over the camaro. I couldn't justify the decreased comfort for the price. I understand it's a monster on track but at the time I was looking for an all-rounder
2002 325i/5, Tiag - sold
1998 M3/4/5, Cosmo - scrapped
1992 Miata, Brilliant Black, STS - on the island of misfit toys
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #47
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Ok I'm sold. The car is beautiful and amazing! How do I get one? Let's start with the divorce.
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #48
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
With the impending G82 disaster, I'm watching M4 CS prices closely. Maybe I'll finally be forced to go to the dark side and lose my beloved 6MT but options are just dwindling. I love the F82 so much, hopefully CS prices will crater enough in a couple years to make the switch from a Civic M4 seem worthwhile.
DCT is still fun when you use the paddles and combines to give you the fastest version of your car and best efficiency. What's not to like?

Do it! Keep an old car with a manual around to get your clutch kicks.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #49
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
DCT is still fun when you use the paddles and combines to give you the fastest version of your car and best efficiency. What's not to like?

Paddles have just always been extremely boring to me. I’m not looking to gain tenths on my trips to the grocery store, I’m looking for a fun and engaging experience and an auto has never once done that for me.

The first M4 I ever test drive was a DCT, I think I made it three miles before I turned around completely put off by the car. I put the car entirely out of my mind until I tried a 6MT, and instantly fell in love. Almost three years later and I’m not even looking at any other cars.
Appreciate 2
Bumpinjeep5531.00
Humdizzle6069.00
      06-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #50
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Simple, but great track review 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #51
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Paddles have just always been extremely boring to me. I'm not looking to gain tenths on my trips to the grocery store, I'm looking for a fun and engaging experience and an auto has never once done that for me.

The first M4 I ever test drive was a DCT, I think I made it three miles before I turned around completely put off by the car. I put the car entirely out of my mind until I tried a 6MT, and instantly fell in love. Almost three years later and I'm not even looking at any other cars.
Ok I literally had the opposite reaction! But I'd rather be in my position where I can appreciate both for their differences as so few manuals are going to be available going forward. In a high horsepower rwd car I just don't think the manual is ideal whereas there are many smaller lighter cars where only a manual would be fun. Also we can see now that the performance variants of these cars will not be sold with a 6 speed so you're pigeonholed into the "base" level whatever that means.

I'm skeptical about true autos but it seems like they're going to make them indistinguishable from real DCTs if they haven't already.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #52
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
You guys that are saying you can outperform a DCT with a 6 speed manual must all be professional drivers or track instructors. There is no way I could shift manually as quickly and consistently as the DCT. I'm not a manual hater either, this is my first car without a stick shift. I love both transmissions for different reasons and think they are both great options.

I have driven the 718 PDK and yeah, it is better, but after doing the GTS flash its a matter of degrees not magnitude.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      06-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #53
arashir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by djMpower View Post
Then if you lower the shift setting to 1 or 2, upshifts are perfect but it laaaags on downshifts. Since you said you've spent time in a GT3RS you should have firsthand experience of how much better PDK is at both. I'm not hating on the car overall -- I love it in fact -- but DCT is far from a perfect transmission. I've driven ZF8's that performed better.
That's interesting, I wouldn't characterize shift setting 2 as generally lagging on downshifts either. After 40k I have only experienced a slow shift in setting 2 a handful of times and they were always during minimal engine load. 99.9% of the time it is already as fast as I would ever want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 06:16 PM   #54
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Paddles have just always been extremely boring to me. I'm not looking to gain tenths on my trips to the grocery store, I'm looking for a fun and engaging experience and an auto has never once done that for me.

The first M4 I ever test drive was a DCT, I think I made it three miles before I turned around completely put off by the car. I put the car entirely out of my mind until I tried a 6MT, and instantly fell in love. Almost three years later and I'm not even looking at any other cars.
Had the same experience. Drove an auto M4 for maybe 3 or 4 miles. Felt like I was driving an appliance. Drove a 6 speed M3 and bought it on the spot.
NickyC17484.50
      06-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #55
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Just recently applied BMS Stage 1 to my 2018 ZCP 6sp, and I have the rest of the settings from the CS (dampers, steering, ABS, diff etc plus Euro MDM). With the stage 1, I was able to drop off 1 sec at VIR compared to previous, with rear brakes almost gone. So clearly what the M3/4 needs is more power.

My friend just bought a 2018 M4 ZCP DCT and after driving it properly, my respect for the DCT grew quite a bit. DCT is a weapon on track...

I’m getting the Ohlins installed tomorrow, however will not be back on track until late July at WGI.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 08:34 PM   #56
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Nope. I'm not comparing hypothetical shifts, I'm comparing real life shifts that I did in my '18 6MT ZCP vs. my '20 DCT CS. I'll grant you that at times DCT can downshift rather quickly, but a lot of the times it seems to get confused and there can be upwards of a 1s delay between pressing the paddle and having the transmission engage. If you know how to heel-toe properly you can complete a full shift in less than half a second. Under ideal circumstances DCT beats that, but in real world driving most of the time it doesn't.
No. You don't know how to drive it. It determines the next gear ahead of time based on driver input. Sounds like you are accelerating and dropping down a gear. This makes no sense to most people and none at all to the car. If you are slowing for a corner it's instant.
Appreciate 3
      06-09-2020, 09:24 PM   #57
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redacre View Post
You guys that are saying you can outperform a DCT with a 6 speed manual must all be professional drivers or track instructors. There is no way I could shift manually as quickly and consistently as the DCT. I'm not a manual hater either, this is my first car without a stick shift. I love both transmissions for different reasons and think they are both great options.

I have driven the 718 PDK and yeah, it is better, but after doing the GTS flash its a matter of degrees not magnitude.
No human, regardless of experience, can beat a DCT on upshift. It is just not physically possible.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
gripenM83.00
      06-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #58
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
I can't drive my ZCP DCT in anything less than S3 or it annoys me - too lazy. CS is likely much crisper so we are talking apples/orange, surely, but still.

I do agree with a previous poster that the problem with S3 is the WOT upshifts and so I get around this by lifting slightly in that situation unless I'm pointed perfectly straight - then I let'er rip.
While I love S3 with DSC off on a dry track, I find it is too harsh for daily driving and ill suited with DSC/MDM. I actually use S1 for sedate daily driving along with Efficient/Comfort/Comfort settings. I find S2 well suited spirited drives on public roads with MDM.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 06-09-2020 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
Davil6524.50
arashir164.00
      06-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #59
trendy26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Best car everrrrr!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:21 PM   #60
JG_Coupe88
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E36 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3   [0.00]
About time we get a real track review of the M4CS! I love this YT channel, track reviews, all I really care about.

I used to post a lot here when I had my previous cars (F87,F32, ect.) and still come back cause I like these forums and am still very much an M car guy ( I still love and track my E36 M3 dedicated track car) but 2020 SS 1LE owner here, the bad viewing angles are incredibly overblown lol. Coming from an M2, and previous other BMWs with top-notch visibility, you drive it for a day and you get used to it. You definitely know you're not in a luxury car but it works for me. The rest of the driving experience, the gearbox, the magnetic ride, solid communicative steering feel, just utterly engaging and incredible, bone stock. And the on-track experience is a whole other level, just some racing fluid, track alignment (which GM supplies you the spec with in the performance driving manual that comes with the driver's manual, yea they really want you track their car), and go kick some ass.

That M4 CS is just awe-droppingly gorgeous and would be so special to own, especially the last pre-hideous grill. I lost myself staring into the aesthetics when watching this review.
      06-09-2020, 11:23 PM   #61
gripenM
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Nope. I'm not comparing hypothetical shifts, I'm comparing real life shifts that I did in my '18 6MT ZCP vs. my '20 DCT CS. I'll grant you that at times DCT can downshift rather quickly, but a lot of the times it seems to get confused and there can be upwards of a 1s delay between pressing the paddle and having the transmission engage. If you know how to heel-toe properly you can complete a full shift in less than half a second. Under ideal circumstances DCT beats that, but in real world driving most of the time it doesn't.
No. You don't know how to drive it. It determines the next gear ahead of time based on driver input. Sounds like you are accelerating and dropping down a gear. This makes no sense to most people and none at all to the car. If you are slowing for a corner it's instant.
This. 100%
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2020, 07:45 AM   #62
themadzoubi
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Great review - well done, can't have enough of looking at this car, can't wait to upgrade to this model!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 04:11 AM   #63
Russell Perez
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Cool

I recently purchased a new BMW x5 car and I want to know your opinion on this matter. You can check out the post right here to see it and leave a comment!: Слюни:
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 01:51 AM   #64
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I love how our dear fellow member TRZ06 felt the need to shit on his previous M3 even on YouTube after his numerous copy&paste rants on F80Post. Yes, buddy, we get it.
LOL, I'm not on here much these days and just came across your comments.

Sorry you got butt hurt, but I love sharing my experiences as a performance car guy across multiple platforms be it good or bad with the cars I have owned.

I call it as I see it and experience it from a drivers POV. You don't like what you hear? You should write a letter to BMW and tell them to step up their game, as they are being left behind.

The //M badge has been too watered down and does not represent what it once did. BMW is moving more luxury than performance these days.

When you spend the amount that BMW charges for them, you bet your ass the expectations are high. As I have stated before, the worse / most expensive car buying mistake I have made, you bet your ass I'm going to be vocal about it.

The SS 1LE is a rock star and GM did an amazing job with it. It will be paid off in 2 more years and then my sights are on the C8 Z06.

BMW really needs to snatch up GM's chassis and suspension engineers because they are on point!!!
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:08 AM   #65
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictrainer View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread but real curious to hear your thoughts on SS1LE vs M4CS. From a track perspective... fun factor, outright speed, confidence, etc... Are they as similar character wise as the numbers would lead you to believe?
There's a long thread about this in the track sub forum. And PM ohiorideraaron who switched to that platform
The SS 1LE is extremely capable and a real beast. However, there was no way in hell that I could live with it on a day to day basis. The cabin was just so suffocating with horrible viewpoints in every direction, I can't see how anyone can tolerate it.
You get used to it fast. I was concerned about it too, and after only a couple days it was a non-issue.

You do have to position your mirrors correctly though, the Camaro has a 2-seat sports car view, you aren't turning your head and looking out a back rear seat window as in a sedan. Once you accept that , it's no different than driving any other sports car.

The cabin is tight, but being a pilot , I enjoy that part of it. You get into it, you don't sit on top of it. It feels like a fighter jet cockpit.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 02:14 AM   #66
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodfatherNiko View Post
I had an '18 2SS Camaro. Incredibly impressive car, the magnetic ride is superior to the adaptive dampers in the M4.
TRUE STATEMENT!!

MRC is an amazing piece of technology.

It's also used by Audi, Lamborghini, Ferrari
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0