Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Seniorleb's Avatar
473
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Cool Should I get an M850i to replace my M4 Competition?

In this video, I will talk about the possibility of the NEW 2019 BMW M850i to be the right candidate for my next car and to replace my BMW M4 Competition Package!

I believe this is the most beautiful BMW Car ever. The M850i offers style and elegance, with immense power and a degree of practicality, so what do we think?

The BMW M850i with a 4.4l TwinPower Turbo V8, making 530hp and 750nm which means 0-100km/h (0-62mph) in a staggering 3.7 seconds thanks to the xDrive all wheel drive system.

Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
BigSky702
Captain
BigSky702's Avatar
511
Rep
769
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

M850i …. hear that exhaust note!! Nothing like an 8!

Unless you feel it isn't a real "M" or deserving of the "M" badge...(i.e. Like the M340i everyone wants to trash)
__________________
Current: 2020 M340i

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)

Last edited by BigSky702; 04-12-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
6647
Rep
19,033
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

I'll give you my honest opinion formed by observing enthusiast behavior on this forum over the past decade-plus.

Generally speaking, for current BMW M vehicles owners, "almost M" products are not good vehicle choice candidates. This is particularly true if:

a) The intention is to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time
b) The model family of the vehicle in question has an M version to be released very soon

I say this because, while buyers remorse can result from a number of factors, anecdotally, it is under these conditions where I see a very high rate of occurrence.

I think a good exercise to go through is to ask yourself how you will feel when an M8 pulls up next to you later this year. Unless you can honestly say you won't immediately wish you had waited for the M8, you are quite possibly headed toward a redo with a five-figure price penalty.
Appreciate 10
      04-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #4
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Seniorleb's Avatar
473
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'll give you my honest opinion formed by observing enthusiast behavior on this forum over the past decade-plus.

Generally speaking, for current BMW M vehicles owners, "almost M" products are not good vehicle choice candidates. This is particularly true if:

a) The intention is to keep the vehicle for an extended period of time
b) The model family of the vehicle in question has an M version to be released very soon

I say this because, while buyers remorse can result from a number of factors, anecdotally, it is under these conditions where I see a very high rate of occurrence.

I think a good exercise to go through is to ask yourself how you will feel when an M8 pulls up next to you later this year. If you can honestly say you won't immediately wish you had waited for the M8, you are quite possibly headed toward a redo with a five-figure price penalty.
Bro What I like about you how smart and intelligent are you observations and the words chosen is impeccable.

I agree, but listen let me tell you something. In Dubai the M3/M4 market is flooded with imports from US and EU and pushing the cars aftersale too low. Trading the cars also is a big loss especially the first 2 years.

The M850i is on a different league of the 4 series. The M4 is more sporty, more aggressive and more fun for sure.
The M8 will be epic but it will take another year or more to reach here, we have no info about it yet.

Thanks for your honest feedback mate like always. you are a moderator for a reason big respect to you
Appreciate 1
mkoesel6647.00

      04-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Seniorleb's Avatar
473
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
M850i …. hear that exhaust note!! Nothing like an 8!

Unless you feel it isn't a real "M" or deserving of the "M" badge...(i.e. Like the M340i everyone wants to trash)
Are your telling me the M340i and M850i are the same? I am sorry dude but it doesn't make any sense! I have driven the regular M5 and the M850i sounds better to me! if you care about the exhaust only our M4 cars don't sound as good as the 8!

Last edited by Seniorleb; 04-12-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mr Friese113.00

      04-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
BigSky702
Captain
BigSky702's Avatar
511
Rep
769
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
Are your telling me the M340i and M850i are the same? I am sorry dude but it doesn't make any sense! I have driven the regular M5 and the M850i sounds better to me! if you care about the exhaust only our M4 cars don't sound as good as the 8!
No.... that's not what I was saying... My post was dual purpose:

1) Suggesting you get the M850i, it would be a nice move from an M4 Comp. Package

2) A slight "dig" at a comment you made earlier about ///Mxxx model cars.


Hope that makes sense.. Yes, we agree... the M850i exhaust sounds very very good! In fact, it sounded better than the prototype M8, IMO

And once again, give the M850i a try, nice change of pace, before M8 arrives.
__________________
Current: 2020 M340i

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #7
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
8047
Rep
8,025
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 21 718, 20 C63S, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

This always seems to come down to two things IMO. What do you prioritize in your cars? Handling and driving dynamics for fun? Or luxury/comfort and a really fast straight line speed for fun?

If it is the first keep the M4. If not get a M850 or something like it.
Appreciate 2
Seniorleb473.00
GERMAN M32362.50

      04-13-2019, 02:17 AM   #8
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Seniorleb's Avatar
473
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
No.... that's not what I was saying... My post was dual purpose:

1) Suggesting you get the M850i, it would be a nice move from an M4 Comp. Package

2) A slight "dig" at a comment you made earlier about ///Mxxx model cars.


Hope that makes sense.. Yes, we agree... the M850i exhaust sounds very very good! In fact, it sounded better than the prototype M8, IMO

And once again, give the M850i a try, nice change of pace, before M8 arrives.
Thank you for the clarification bro. I was a little bit speculate about it

But we need to see the new M3 and M8 soon
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Mr Friese
Private First Class
113
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Baltimore

iTrader: (0)

I might be in the minority, but I actually really like the M850i. Yes it's an "almost" M car, but we're not talking about a M340 here either. This does get a V8, top-notch interior etc. so it doesn't give off that faux M vibe like some others do.

The only thing that might give me some pause is the size, but that comes down to personal preference really.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
CanAutM3
General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
14441
Rep
18,390
Posts

Drives: 2019 M4cs
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M4cs  [0.00]
2018 Audi RS3  [0.00]
Those wheels
__________________
///M4cs 2019 F82 Lime Rock Grey
MPE / CF Mirror caps / MP-HAS / GC Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #11
BigSky702
Captain
BigSky702's Avatar
511
Rep
769
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
I might be in the minority, but I actually really like the M850i. Yes it's an "almost" M car, but we're not talking about a M340 here either. This does get a V8, top-notch interior etc. so it doesn't give off that faux M vibe like some others do.

The only thing that might give me some pause is the size, but that comes down to personal preference really.
it doesn't handle like a true "M".... neither does a M550i..

True "M" is about top-notch performance, not interior luxury materials.. In other words it's a faux M, no matter how you slice it.
__________________
Current: 2020 M340i

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)

Last edited by BigSky702; 04-13-2019 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
cotmfk846.50

      04-13-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
maniz's Avatar
United_States
576
Rep
710
Posts

Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

The styling is indeed beautiful but I detest M-wannabe models to the extreme so you can guess my thoughts on the subject.

But then again every "Do you think I should buy..." thread is moot anyway because it only pretends to offload decision-making to complete strangers. I am you will decide what works best for you. Enjoy.
__________________
2018 M4 Coupe. 6MT.

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Seniorleb's Avatar
473
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
This always seems to come down to two things IMO. What do you prioritize in your cars? Handling and driving dynamics for fun? Or luxury/comfort and a really fast straight line speed for fun?

If it is the first keep the M4. If not get a M850 or something like it.
Well said, they are totally 2 different cars for different purposes but sometimes we have the desire to change for something totally different if you know what i mean
Appreciate 1
minn198046.50

      04-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #14
BigSky702
Captain
BigSky702's Avatar
511
Rep
769
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
Well said, they are totally 2 different cars for different purposes but sometimes we have the desire to change for something totally different if you know what i mean
Dew eet!!!!
__________________
Current: 2020 M340i

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #15
minn19
Major General
minn19's Avatar
United_States
8047
Rep
8,025
Posts

Drives: 19 F150, 21 718, 20 C63S, 212S
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seniorleb View Post
Well said, they are totally 2 different cars for different purposes but sometimes we have the desire to change for something totally different if you know what i mean
Agreed, that’s why it is nice to have the faux M550 and the 6MT M3 in the garage next to each other.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M32362.50

      04-15-2019, 03:37 AM   #16
Humdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
1782
Rep
1,619
Posts

Drives: 2010 ferrari 458
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (0)

its not a sports car. so for me I'd rather have the M4 comp

but if you want an alternative to something like an S class coupe or DB11 its not a bad choice. they look pretty good in all black.

for the money I'd take a 911
__________________

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2015 Silverstone F80 6MT
2009 Honda Civic
Previous: Ferrari 458 | E36 M3 | E46 M3 | R35 GTR | FR-S | F30 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #17
Throttleblip
First Lieutenant
Throttleblip's Avatar
No_Country
409
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: BMW M4 ZCP 2016
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: usa

iTrader: (0)

I would have never considered it until a drove it in Thermals track about a month and half ago. It feels light due to rear steering, it has so much grip and it is so fast. And yes it is one of the most beautiful cars bmw has ever made.

After driving it and seeing just how competent it is, it's hard to believe that their still going to introduce the M8. There is absolutely no way yo can take the 850 to its limits on the road... it is just that good.

Yes, between the ZCP and the 850, I'd choose the 850, or would wait for the new M4 with its MXdrive.
Appreciate 1
BigSky702510.50

      04-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #18
Seniorleb
Lieutenant
Seniorleb's Avatar
473
Rep
559
Posts

Drives: 2018 SO M4 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Dew eet!!!!
Thanks for your opinion
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 03:43 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
nicknaz's Avatar
United_States
3113
Rep
10,469
Posts

Drives: 6TT, model 3P, SM, F31 330
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

850 is more of a fast luxury grand touring car, right? >$110k msrp?

My $0.02, get an Aston or some variant of Continental GT, which do a better job at being a lux grand tourer

Lightly used Lambo and Ferrari California start to show up in that range, so I personally wouldn’t go the 850 route.

And LOL on putting M stickers on that thing. What does Motorsport have anything to do with that thing? It’s ///Marketing at its finest
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:22 PM   #20
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
418
Rep
554
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
This always seems to come down to two things IMO. What do you prioritize in your cars? Handling and driving dynamics for fun? Or luxury/comfort and a really fast straight line speed for fun?

If it is the first keep the M4. If not get a M850 or something like it.
#1 Driving dynamics
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:33 AM   #21
BMWM4MW
Private
9
Rep
55
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NA

iTrader: (0)

Why not since you had 2x M4's already that would be a good change and from the video you have posted I saw how beautiful this car is from inside and outside! I would wait like a year to see new M3 and New M8 though
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #22
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
LOW4LYF's Avatar
1546
Rep
3,408
Posts

Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: @Home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
850 is more of a fast luxury grand touring car, right? >$110k msrp?

My $0.02, get an Aston or some variant of Continental GT, which do a better job at being a lux grand tourer

Lightly used Lambo and Ferrari California start to show up in that range, so I personally wouldn’t go the 850 route.

And LOL on putting M stickers on that thing. What does Motorsport have anything to do with that thing? It’s ///Marketing at its finest
It's M Performance, not Motorsport. Drive one and you gonna understand.
All day long over any F80 or F82,F83.

Amazing, great sounding, fast luxury car.
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw 850i, m850i

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST