Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

02-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #89
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
On my e46 M3 track car I had used CT race, PFC 01 race, CT race (finished off an old set) and then PFC 05 race pads all on the same set of rotors. I didn't have any issues mixing CT and PFC compounds on the same rotor.

PFC race compounds will easily clean off the CT 1521 street compound.
I'm sure you can get away with it. But CT says you can't/shouldn't.

http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#troubleshooting5
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #90
F3IGHTY
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
On my e46 M3 track car I had used CT race, PFC 01 race, CT race (finished off an old set) and then PFC 05 race pads all on the same set of rotors. I didn't have any issues mixing CT and PFC compounds on the same rotor.

PFC race compounds will easily clean off the CT 1521 street compound.
Same, I’ve mixed pads with CT, P Mu, Ferodo, Stoptech, never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #91
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
Stay clear of Carbotech brake pads, they're garbage. BBK rotors are pricey and they'll eat your rotors alive. Spend a little more to get quality ones. Not making that mistake twice. I like the Endless ME20. Moreover, I also hear good things about the Brembo RE10.
CT's are garbage? Why? I've run them for years now using DBA rotors.
The pads are pricey but they don't eat rotors when cold, but still can handle 1300 degree temps...
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #92
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

Quote:
There's a decent amount of your front rotor face not being used. ST, or other pad manufacturers, doesn't offer a pad with a larger radial depth for the ST60 caliper so all of the rotor is used? Using all of the rotor face with a larger pad will decrease pad wear, increase the area to transfer kinetic energy to thermal energy, and decrease rotor temps. I'm just surprised to see this much of the rotor not being used - why does ST offer such a large rotor ring if they had no plans to offer a pad to use the increased rotor radial depth?
So I emailed the man himself, Dave Zeckhausen, about this issue of there being very few full radial depth race pds for the ST-60 and he had a very interesting answer for me that I wasn’t expecting, but makes a lot of sense to me:
The reason StopTech went with wide annulus rotors for the F80 was not to increase pad surface area. Rather, it was to increase thermal mass and heat-shedding ability via radiation. The former is a function of weight. The latter is a function of surface area (not necessarily swept). Thus, the wide annulus rotors don't reach temperatures as high and they cool down significantly faster than the standard annulus rotors.

Finally, the use of standard annulus pads slightly increases brake torque over using the taller pads. Intuition might be that it would reduce brake torque, because of reduced surface area. But intuition is wrong. Brake torque is a function of pad Cf (a constant, regardless of swept area), clamping force, and effective radius. The key here is that effective radius equals the distance from the center of the hub to the center of the brake pad. If the pad doesn't hang down as close to the hub, then the center of that pad is actually further away from the hub than the taller pad. That INCREASES torque.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #93
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
So I emailed the man himself, Dave Zeckhausen, about this issue of there being very few full radial depth race pds for the ST-60 and he had a very interesting answer for me that I wasn’t expecting, but makes a lot of sense to me:
The reason StopTech went with wide annulus rotors for the F80 was not to increase pad surface area. Rather, it was to increase thermal mass and heat-shedding ability via radiation. The former is a function of weight. The latter is a function of surface area (not necessarily swept). Thus, the wide annulus rotors don't reach temperatures as high and they cool down significantly faster than the standard annulus rotors.

Finally, the use of standard annulus pads slightly increases brake torque over using the taller pads. Intuition might be that it would reduce brake torque, because of reduced surface area. But intuition is wrong. Brake torque is a function of pad Cf (a constant, regardless of swept area), clamping force, and effective radius. The key here is that effective radius equals the distance from the center of the hub to the center of the brake pad. If the pad doesn't hang down as close to the hub, then the center of that pad is actually further away from the hub than the taller pad. That INCREASES torque.
What's applicable to my situation (and my crash) is that using a narrow annulus pad concentrates the friction in a smaller area, so the pad gets hotter for the same amount of friction than a wide annulus pad. I came so close to melting my front pads that they turned rainbow colors and adopted a flakey appearance. They got so hot they just wouldn't stop the car.

Dave is super knowledgeable and he really helped me sort out my issues after another vendor failed me twice.

Next time out at Monza (if there is a next time...) I will use a pad that doesn't lose friction until a much higher temperature. Dave has already found me a set of pads that should do the job.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #94
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How's the car doing friend?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #95
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
How's the car doing friend?
The '15 is totaled and I've cannibalized as much as I dare without it looking obvious. The '18 is being built as we type.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #96
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Godspeed. Glad things appear to be working out.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 07:55 PM   #97
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:

Ok. However, I'd be surprised if a 380 mm narrow annulus rotor has insufficient thermal mass compared to a wide annulus rotor and the additional radiative heat transfer area likely does little to help rotor temps (view factors aren't very good). Also, I doubt the change in effective friction radius of a narrow vs. large pad is significant and, therefore, results in a very noticeable increase in brake torque. The one critical thing not addressed is the large temp gradient between the rotor surface under the pad and free rotor surface where there's no pad touching - this exists near the floating interface with the hat and, therefore, bending in the rotor will exist due to the temp gradient . Surface cracking on the rotors will occur more easily as a result.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #98
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This is one of those assessments where, without actually doing the math and collecting the real data you can't say for sure whether the advantages of one approach outweighs its inherent disadvantages to the point of being clearly the wrong choice.

I can hope that Stoptech's decision to use this approach was intentional and a consequence of analyzing a multitude of tests. Unfortunately I can't prove that they did, but hey that's true of any consumer product.

I'm comfortable accepting the explanation and the risk it bears. Others might not and that's just as valid.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:05 PM   #99
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep

Quote:
This is one of those assessments where, without actually doing the math and collecting the real data you can't say for sure whether the advantages of one approach outweighs its inherent disadvantages to the point of being clearly the wrong choice.

I can hope that Stoptech's decision to use this approach was intentional and a consequence of analyzing a multitude of tests. Unfortunately I can't prove that they did, but hey that's true of any consumer product.

I'm comfortable accepting the explanation and the risk it bears. Others might not and that's just as valid.
If you compare the StopTech pads, though, you'll see they're sized for the wider annulus rotor and the ST60 caliper, whereas nearly all of the ST60 pads out there are sized only for narrow annulus applications. Prior to the discovery of the AP19 pad shape being about 3mm deeper radially, all we had were a bunch of aftermarket pads that didn't use the full rotor width.

Note the difference between the Pagid RSL29 pad on top and the StopTech pad underneath.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #100
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

But not the stoptech race pads
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #101
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I've previously discussed this exact topic with PFC race engineers and have direct experience. Cracking decreased, and longevity increased, on AP rotors on my e46 M3 once I switched to a PFC pad that fully covered the rotor surface.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #102
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

Stoptech ST60 Track pad on the right. AP19 Track pad on the left. Both are same manufacturer Cobalt friction. Same compound XR1. Same thickness, 20mm.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #103
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Stoptech ST60 Track pad on the right. AP19 Track pad on the left. Both are same manufacturer Cobalt friction. Same compound XR1. Same thickness, 20mm.
The pad on the left looks like it has a 54 mm radial depth vs. a 51 mm radial depth on the right? The left pad would cover more rotor surface area.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #104
MasterP
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
The pad on the left looks like it has a 54 mm radial depth vs. a 51 mm radial depth on the right? The left pad would cover more rotor surface area.
That is correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #105
Caliboy951
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by awbmw View Post
Noticed your running the APR wing and front splitter...looks great, but did it make any difference to traction/lap times or slow you down on the straight?
Sorry for the delayed response just realized I never replied.

With the full aero the car is way more stable especially in the high bank high speed turns and yes I'm sacrificing a bit of speed but then I added more power to hopefully make up for the speed that I'm losing.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #106
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Is there any brake duct kits out? Anyone run them?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:39 PM   #107
JustAnothaM4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 GTS

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 GTS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy951 View Post
BBK should be the first thing you purchase if you plan on doing track days, the second is a good suspension! These cars make enough powder but stopping and turning is where it's at!
Then I'd do a set of rims and good track tires I also run Apex 18" and Nittos.
The wheels in the picture are BW TA16 or Apex EC-7s?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #108
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce AaLee View Post
I searched the forums for this caliper discoloration issue when it first started happening and if I remember correctly everyone that has complained has pretty much been blown off. I asked my service advisor and the GM and they both said that BMW wouldn't replace it since the brakes still function normally and there is no defect. My argument that the defect is in the paint or finish didn't go anywhere. I'm sure BMW is aware of this issue but seeing how they keep painting brake calipers Blue I don't think its a large enough issue for them to care.
Sorry to revive an extremely old thread, but I had the same issues with the blue OEM calipers discoloring to green. I had to rebuild them and decided to recoat them in BMW Performance Yellow, which not only looked a lot better for a black F82 - they have not discolored at all after 6 events so far. My shop owner also runs this same coating, did 30 events this year without any discoloration.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:55 PM   #109
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Y_stack_acceleration View Post
Sorry to revive an extremely old thread, but I had the same issues with the blue OEM calipers discoloring to green. I had to rebuild them and decided to recoat them in BMW Performance Yellow, which not only looked a lot better for a black F82 - they have not discolored at all after 6 events so far. My shop owner also runs this same coating, did 30 events this year without any discoloration.
What brand coating?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2023, 11:21 AM   #110
4Y_stack_acceleration
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 X3 M40i, '19 C7 Z06 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
What brand coating?
Color is Hot Yellow from company called Prismatic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0