Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #67
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
After 1k miles in F80 M3 (16 w EDC) I am pleased with the swift springs. Never bottoms out as reported by at least one. The stiffness is definitely noticeable but in a good way. Sport mode most of the time, but comfort mode doesn't feel much different. How the car should have come from the factory, imo. Belgian roads aren't the best but a hell of a lot better than Italy!!
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #68
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
After 1k miles in F80 M3 (16 w EDC) I am pleased with the swift springs. Never bottoms out as reported by at least one. The stiffness is definitely noticeable but in a good way. Sport mode most of the time, but comfort mode doesn't feel much different. How the car should have come from the factory, imo. Belgian roads aren't the best but a hell of a lot better than Italy!!
Over 3 months and 2k miles in my M4. Happy as a clam. Usually drive in Sport, 2 track days in Sport+. Can't detect any change since day 1. I agree, should come this way from factory. But I had Swifts on my E92, and had the expectation that they'd be firmer than stock. I think lots of guys expect their cars to feel the same as stock, just looking for the cosmetic drop.

Another thing I've noticed is that steering feel is better.
Appreciate 3
      12-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #69
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
I think lots of guys expect their cars to feel the same as stock, just looking for the cosmetic drop.
Not sure if that remark is directed toward those who've complained about their cars bottoming out. If it is, keep in mind that we simply paid for and expected to receive a quality product developed by Swift with proper R&D and QC, as advertised for our cars, nothing more.
The issue is with F80s and you have an F82; ergo, no issue to report. Very happy for you. And yes, the steering feel had a sharper, more accurate turn-in.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #70
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

I tried to order a set of Swift Spec R spring today, after being told they would be available this week. Turns out, Swift is holding the new springs back until further notice. I'm guessing this issue has something to do with it.

IG and Twitter: @CaryTheLabelGuy
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #71
M_DRlVER
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I'll post this here also. My F80 M3. EDC set to Comfort. 600 miles. 3rd batch.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #72
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_DRlVER View Post
I'll post this here also. My F80 M3. EDC set to Comfort. 600 miles. 3rd batch.

Wow, that is DEFINITELY not normal, it is very audible the clanging/thud sound. I never hear anything like that ever.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #73
CreoUCLA
Bruin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S6 → 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Wow, that is DEFINITELY not normal, it is very audible the clanging/thud sound. I never hear anything like that ever.
+1 on my F80 with batch 1 Swifts.
      12-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #74
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreoUCLA View Post
+1 on my F80 with batch 1 Swifts.
Hey CreoUCLA, are you having these same issues with batch 1? Up to now, I read it was only batch 3.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #75
CreoUCLA
Bruin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S6 → 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo View Post
Hey CreoUCLA, are you having these same issues with batch 1? Up to now, I read it was only batch 3.
So far, no. I do have a very minimal "clicking" noise that developed (emanating from the front driver's side), but I think it may be the sway bar endlink bolt on the strut not torqued down properly. I'm going to take a look at it this weekend.

I definitely don't have the clanking/clunking sounds as demonstrated in the video.
      10-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #76
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

===17k miles===
Quick update...

Now 1 yr. in and 17k miles later through road, track, etc., these springs (batch 1) are still great. I don't feel any noticeable wear or slop or softness from day one.

One pretty major thing that made them better was coding my EDC to ZCP spec, comfort and sport+ became even better, particularly comfort. sport and sport+ feel better on rebound than before.

On the track, these springs still really shine, I never feel they are off or unpredictable, I can hammer high speed bends, trail brake into sharp turns, and the springs are linear and great at doing their job. For springs, I really couldn't expect more. More than a few people have come up to me and asked what mods I have and assume I have a coilover suspension, and surprised to know I just have lowly springs

I do wonder how much better the M Performance Springs will be when they come out, that will be very interesting to try out. Although it does go to show BMW engineered these dampers to take on stiffer springs out of the box...did swift crack the code before they did? we shall see...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 04:32 AM   #77
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
===17k miles===
Quick update...

Now 1 yr. in and 17k miles later through road, track, etc., these springs (batch 1) are still great. I don't feel any noticeable wear or slop or softness from day one.

One pretty major thing that made them better was coding my EDC to ZCP spec, comfort and sport+ became even better, particularly comfort. sport and sport+ feel better on rebound than before.

On the track, these springs still really shine, I never feel they are off or unpredictable, I can hammer high speed bends, trail brake into sharp turns, and the springs are linear and great at doing their job. For springs, I really couldn't expect more. More than a few people have come up to me and asked what mods I have and assume I have a coilover suspension, and surprised to know I just have lowly springs

I do wonder how much better the M Performance Springs will be when they come out, that will be very interesting to try out. Although it does go to show BMW engineered these dampers to take on stiffer springs out of the box...did swift crack the code before they did? we shall see...
Appreciate the review brotha

Glad you're enjoying them one year later!
Appreciate 1
S65V8808.00
      01-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #78
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue M4 w/Leather

Quote:
===17k miles===
Quick update...

===3k miles===
On the Road… (EDC)
After 3k miles it’s really given me a chance to evaluate how this set-up responds to all types of road imperfections and environments. Overall a very street-able set-up, all modes in EDC get bumped up a notch or two:

*Comfort is great for slow cruising on bad or even surfaces.

**Sport is simply Sport+ now, and my favorite everyday mode as it still dampens bumps well enough and gives the car a tighter overall feel. For example, I’ll drive the car on default settings (Eff., Sport, Sport), and forget I’m on that setting before I switch to comfort.

**Sport+ some say is only for track, but I like this for fast highway driving, this mode I believe is what Swift focused on fine tuning most of all. I like how responsive and tight the car is in this mode.

Although, it should be noted to those first timers installing springs/suspension upgrades, these are not as “comfortable/plush” as stock springs, given the stiffness increase you should be prepared to feel that stiffness in all modes of driving.
While “Comfort” is now closer to sport, in some situations I think it’s even stiffer than that. Just remember how extremely stiff this car is to begin with, it's literally at near race car levels vs. the previous gen M cars.

"BMW claims the M3's torsional stiffness is over 40,000 Newton-meters per degree, approaching that of the 2004 BMW M3 GTR race car, which used a steel-tube roll cage to reach 46,000 Nm/deg. The stiffness comes in part from the same strut-tower brace that also helps steering feel and response. Additionally, BMW mounts the rear subframe directly to the body, with no rubber bushings."

On the Track…
This is where these springs shine, I experimented with all modes, and it is no surprise Sport+ was my favorite mode. Sport was good too, but I liked it less overall.

Similar to my E92 review, it reduced roll in high-speed turns, hairpins, etc. The key for me is that it performed very consistently under load in all situations, on camber, off camber, threshold to trail braking, high speed turns, and through unexpected maneuvering and mid turn corrections. There was never a moment I felt the car was nervous, floating, or gave me any sense of uneasiness. I was very impressed. In the clip below, I am actually threshold braking pretty hard at the end of the straight at around 140 MPH, and you can see the car keep its composure and is braking in a predictable/even fashion. No rear end squirreling.

Note, these cannot be compared to coilovers which I believe would be the best solution for the track rats out there.

Drop and everyday clearance…
The drop is about 1 finger all around and looks balanced imo. Same as the E92 set-up, it’s low but not too low that you’re scraping and hitting everything that dips. Once in awhile the rubber scrap guards will touch. Net, I don’t even worry or think about it, and that to me means it’s not low enough where I’m “worried” about daily driving the car.

Is there bounce?
In my opinion no, but because the springs are stiffer, the road undulation may feel like a bounce to some. I’ve driven coilovers before, and a similar dampening effect can be felt at the stiffer limits. Naturally, since the set-up is tracking the road closer with less travel it will undulate with the road making you feel an 'up and down' movement...I’ve driven and been in a H&R set-up car, that’s what you call bounce and uneasiness in suspension movement.

What happens when you do hit dips/road imperfections?
It dampens everything pretty well without rattling the dash or responding with any nervous and uneasy abrupt deflections. It’s very linear and consistent. However, unlike the stock set-up, you can’t just power through, I would still recommend respecting and slowing down on dips and imperfections.

Any new noises to be aware of?
The set-up is as quiet as a mouse, like OEM. So if done right you shouldn't hear any difference. The only time I hear a little front suspension tension or jossle is if I hit a sharp sloping dip, at a specific speed, and with both front tires. It's not a bad sound, but because I tried to hear for every creak, it's the one thing I could notice. Other than that, over every bad road condition (which in the east there ALOT of), car was perfectly silent. I thought there would be more rattle or something, but the install / car is tight
as a drum.

NOTE: "Batch 1" front springs were good, Batch 2 - 3 were defective, so ensure you know what Batch 1 or 4 (replacements) actually look like before you buy them. I clearly had Batch 1. The defective batches would crash the front coils onto themselves causing massive bottoming out and issues.

Net, these springs did the job by providing a balanced looking drop, being confidence inspiring on the track, while being a great daily drivable set-up. I approve!

lil' track clip at full WOT @ track : )

Attachment 1310818

Attachment 1310819
Awesome clip and review! How are the spring now? Still loving it?

Also did you change into different camber plates or did the spring/drop alone give enough negative camber?

I asked swift and they told me to keep the stock top hats and not use aftermarket as they have never tested with it.

Btw the car sounds great in that clip- is that a stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #79
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4282 View Post

Also did you change into different camber plates or did the spring/drop alone give enough negative camber?

I asked swift and they told me to keep the stock top hats and not use aftermarket as they have never tested with it.

Thanks, springs are still doing great! If you're serious about tracking and want even tire wear, you'll want camber plates.

Exhaust is AWE non-resonated set-up, no downpipes. At full tilt at the track, it really sings!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #80
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, springs are still doing great! If you're serious about tracking and want even tire wear, you'll want camber plates.

Exhaust is AWE non-resonated set-up, no downpipes. At full tilt at the track, it really sings!
Great to know thank you! will probably have to need dp here in us due to emissions- but regarding camber plates I spoke to swift and they don't recommend after market camber plates with the springs. Suggest stock. Which brand plates did you get that fit?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #81
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great to know thank you! will probably have to need dp here in us due to emissions- but regarding camber plates I spoke to swift and they don't recommend after market camber plates with the springs. Suggest stock. Which brand plates did you get that fit?
Actually no camber plates either. Also, my exhaust has stock downpipes, what I meant was I didn't modify DPs like most do on the forums...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #82
m4282
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Actually no camber plates either. Also, my exhaust has stock downpipes, what I meant was I didn't modify DPs like most do on the forums...
Awesome- thx

I just got my springs today - can't wait to get them on. Waiting on toe links now and monoball joint to be delivered, along with comp pack sway bar to be delivered. Hopefully all will be here in next two weeks- will post review picture soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #83
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S65V8 View Post
Quote:
Curious to know… do you still have the swift springs and how they're doing now?

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0