proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

07-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #287
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhk118 View Post
I don't think the tunnel was too far off, only when there was a dead animal in the road which happened to be where the tunnel was I didn't have enough time to react at 70 MPH to slow or swerve if I had to. Then again without the tunnel presumably the low beams only would have been on and visibility would have been the same...perhaps I need to point my lights up just a tad, they've always seemed low to me.
Yeah, the alignment of the headlights could definitely be a factor. Again, I will pay attention tonight. If anybody else feels this is an issue, please let me know.
      07-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #288
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Now, if only someone could find the trick to have HBA on by default
Imagine this would be buried in FLA3 or KASFSA (drivers assist module, don't remember spelling) modules. Doubt its in KOMBI since the rear fog lights are programmed thorough the rear electronics module (but also FEM BODY for the switch/relay)...so perhaps this is the same deal - change a setting in FLA and also activate it in FEM BODY. I'll dig around a bit when I have time...vacation coming up!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #289
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Imagine this would be buried in FLA3 or KASFSA (drivers assist module, don't remember spelling) modules. Doubt its in KOMBI since the rear fog lights are programmed thorough the rear electronics module (but also FEM BODY for the switch/relay)...so perhaps this is the same deal - change a setting in FLA and also activate it in FEM BODY. I'll dig around a bit when I have time...vacation coming up!
For me, since I don't have HBA, it would be the only way to activate the anti-dazzle without having to change the entire steering column.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #290
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
For me, since I don't have HBA, it would be the only way to activate the anti-dazzle without having to change the entire steering column.
Do you have Drivers assist or one of the camera modules installed?

Not sure how your options were configured together up north compared to down here in 'merica.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 03:43 PM   #291
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Do you have Drivers assist or one of the camera modules installed?

Not sure how your options were configured together up north compared to down here in 'merica.
I have the LED headlights and Speed Limit Info (which is a stand alone option in Canada) so I have the KAFAS camera (confirmed from my coding files). However, I don't have the HBA since HBA is only available with the "Technology Package" up here. No second little button on the high beam stalk .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #292
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, the consensus is that this not possible on F3x/F8x or even on post-LCI F1x. BMW appears to have deliberately disabled the possibility of automatic HBA activation: the function that used to enable this is no longer there.

Your only option is to retrofit the SZL stalk. There is a thread on the other forum on how to do this.
      07-21-2015, 04:17 PM   #293
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
FLA_AUTO_AKTIV is the setting that used to work. Seemed to stop working around the 2015 model year. I don't believe anyone has figured out a way to get it to work on F80/2/3 at all as of yet. It worked fine on a 2014 LCI F10. That's the last first-hand experience I had where it worked.

IIRC, the 4 settings tied to this were:

FRM/FLA_VERBAUT/aktiv
FRM/FLA_AUTO_AKTIV/automatisch
HU_NBT/HIGH_BEAM_ASSISTANT/aktiv
KAFAS/FLA_ON_OFF/aktiv

FWIW, the 2014 LCI F10 had high beam assistant installed, so these settings just made it come on automatically with the headlights. I do not know if it would work without the HBA feature installed on the car, although others around that time (circa 2014) reported success. I would be a bit leery of turning this on without an ability to turn it off manually. I recall a few times in neighborhoods where the brights would be on blinding people walking and I was glad I had the button on the signal stalk to turn it off.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #294
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

dmnc02 et al:

Did you get to the bottom of what the values in white are for?

The values in yellow are generally higher (in most cases, not all) for the euro settings. 19 = 25, C8 = 200, FA = 250, for example. (Cheat sheet = http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....ages/X2D2X.gif)

Talking with a friend of mine who does a lot of coding, the repetition (C8 C8) is probably mapping to a certain quadrant of either the camera or the LED array on the lights, so changing the values is "moving the boxes" or adjusting the sensitivity (or both)... interesting to see the behavior these settings are affecting. The repetition (C8 C8 00 FA FA 00) suggests that the individual bytes are individual (0-255) settings.

Thanks again for digging in to this further. Interesting stuff.

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-21-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #295
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
dmnc02 et al:

Did you get to the bottom of what the values in white are for?

The values in yellow are generally higher (in most cases, not all) for the euro settings. 19 = 25, C8 = 200, FA = 250, for example.

Talking with a friend of mine who does a lot of coding, the repetition (C8 C8) is probably mapping to a certain quadrant of either the camera or the LED array on the lights, so changing the values is "moving the boxes" or adjusting the sensitivity (or both)... interesting to see the behavior these settings are affecting. The repetition (C8 C8 00 FA FA 00) suggests that the individual bytes are individual (0-255) settings.

Thanks again for digging in to this further. Interesting stuff.
Good question. We know that there are a total of 8 LED emitters in each high beam reflector (3 being specifically used for glare-free high beam) and that the tunnel is achieved by selectively dimming the individual emitters, so this is what the bytes must control. However we did not try to go into what bytes controls what emitters.

Here is a picture:

Name:  All LED Headlamp.png
Views: 2626
Size:  736.8 KB

Last edited by dmnc02; 07-21-2015 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: Picture added
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #296
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Quote:
FLA_AUTO_AKTIV is the setting that used to work. Seemed to stop working around the 2015 model year. I don't believe anyone has figured out a way to get it to work on F80/2/3 at all as of yet. It worked fine on a 2014 LCI F10. That's the last first-hand experience I had where it worked.

IIRC, the 4 settings tied to this were:

FRM/FLA_VERBAUT/aktiv
FRM/FLA_AUTO_AKTIV/automatisch
HU_NBT/HIGH_BEAM_ASSISTANT/aktiv
KAFAS/FLA_ON_OFF/aktiv

FWIW, the 2014 LCI F10 had high beam assistant installed, so these settings just made it come on automatically with the headlights. I do not know if it would work without the HBA feature installed on the car, although others around that time (circa 2014) reported success. I would be a bit leery of turning this on without an ability to turn it off manually. I recall a few times in neighborhoods where the brights would be on blinding people walking and I was glad I had the button on the signal stalk to turn it off.
Thanks. Just spent some time digging around and the only setting in the F80 from the F10 coding forums is the HU_NBT high beam assist. There is no FRM unit, but I found codes for all the settings of the "brains" behind adaptive lights in FEM_BODY under FLA_ (all set to "default" meaning their calculations probably coming from the headlight modules). There were also settings for HBA in KOMBI unit and some FLA codes in the FLA3 module. It's complex. There was also a setting in FEM_BODY that you could choose HBA present, HBA button on stalk automatic and HBA button on stalk manual or similar.

I know the single code in HU_NBT isn't enough, and a lot of things would need to change across all modules. Interesting thing is I found a bunch of rain sensor codes as well...if there was one to remember last setting... Anyhow this is getting off topic for the thread...it will take a ton of tinkering to figure out how to get HBA to stay on, again if it's possible.

On another note, I did find some codes under "HL_Adjustment" with the comment that "headlight angle and DFL blocking region adjustment no longer available, hardwired" suggesting that some settings related to headlight adjustment specifically relating to HBA and anti dazzle are no longer modifiable...so in my case maybe I need to just point the lights up physically.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #297
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

I did have a chance to test the low sensitivity mode for the camera again tonight and, now that I have more familiarity with the operation of no-glare high beams, the difference was actually quite clear. It does not alter the position of the tunnel, but it does negatively impact the reaction times, occasionally glaring other traffic for a second or two. So the warning in the control display is accurate. I think this mode is best avoided.

As for the position of the tunnel, it starts about one car length behind the preceding car, which is consistent with what is shown in this video of a European LCI F01 at about 1:18:

or this video (posted earlier in this thread) at about 3:04:

Last edited by dmnc02; 07-21-2015 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-22-2015, 08:57 AM   #298
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Just spent some time digging around and the only setting in the F80 from the F10 coding forums is the HU_NBT high beam assist. There is no FRM unit, but I found codes for all the settings of the "brains" behind adaptive lights in FEM_BODY under FLA_ (all set to "default" meaning their calculations probably coming from the headlight modules). There were also settings for HBA in KOMBI unit and some FLA codes in the FLA3 module. It's complex. There was also a setting in FEM_BODY that you could choose HBA present, HBA button on stalk automatic and HBA button on stalk manual or similar.

I know the single code in HU_NBT isn't enough, and a lot of things would need to change across all modules. Interesting thing is I found a bunch of rain sensor codes as well...if there was one to remember last setting... Anyhow this is getting off topic for the thread...it will take a ton of tinkering to figure out how to get HBA to stay on, again if it's possible.

On another note, I did find some codes under "HL_Adjustment" with the comment that "headlight angle and DFL blocking region adjustment no longer available, hardwired" suggesting that some settings related to headlight adjustment specifically relating to HBA and anti dazzle are no longer modifiable...so in my case maybe I need to just point the lights up physically.
If you do decide to manually adjust the headlight height, please count the number of full turns clockwise, then again counter-clockwise from the start point of your turning until the stop points (high and low) so we know (roughly) what the "default" height setting is from the factory. You'll also want to know that if you ever want to reset the height. The hex screw you'll need to turn is a white plastic screw on top of the headlight assembly. I can take a photo for you if you need help finding it.

Also, we don't have FRM in our cars, but FEM_BODY should have at least one or two of the settings for HBA. FLA_AUTO_AKTIV should be in the FEM_BODY module, for example.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 01:18 PM   #299
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If you do decide to manually adjust the headlight height, please count the number of full turns clockwise, then again counter-clockwise from the start point of your turning until the stop points (high and low) so we know (roughly) what the "default" height setting is from the factory. You'll also want to know that if you ever want to reset the height. The hex screw you'll need to turn is a white plastic screw on top of the headlight assembly. I can take a photo for you if you need help finding it.

Also, we don't have FRM in our cars, but FEM_BODY should have at least one or two of the settings for HBA. FLA_AUTO_AKTIV should be in the FEM_BODY module, for example.
I did it last night. Both side adjustment screws were screwed all the way in from factory to the stop (LED lights) so the lights were pointed as low as possible (which is actually an OK height, I just prefer them projecting out a bit more). Currently placed them both at 1.5 turns CCW.

The interesting thing is if you put the headlight switch to automatic the drivers side appears lower because one of the LEDs goes out. When you turn the lights to the "on" position the additional LED light comes on on the drivers side light, making it higher and then both sides appear equal height...drive up to a wall and try it.

Last edited by Mr. Hankey; 07-22-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 01:39 PM   #300
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
As for the position of the tunnel, it starts about one car length behind the preceding car...
Yes, mine are working exactly like this, tunnel looks the same however mine was definitely closer to my car. Now that I've physically pointed my headlights a bit higher it has fixed this issue. I also agree with you on the light sensitivity setting, it seemed that the lights would turn off at the point that they actually hit the other car, whereas in the normal setting they turn off before then and wouldn't glare the other car. I'm happy with sensitive...I'm sure the less sensitive setting is the "ideal" mathematic time to turn them off, but I'm happy with a bit sooner.

Looking at all the settings around this system in FEM_BODY its extremely robust. It appears there are groups of settings for highway, rural roads, city, bad weather...etc. Just from memory there were about 6 separate sets of settings making me think that the behavior of the lights switches modes based on where you are driving. Extremely impressive...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #301
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did it last night. Both side adjustment screws were screwed all the way in from factory to the stop (LED lights) so the lights were pointed as low as possible (which is actually an OK height, I just prefer them projecting out a bit more). Currently placed them both at 1.5 turns CCW.

The interesting thing is if you put the headlight switch to automatic the drivers side appears lower because one of the LEDs goes out. When you turn the lights to the "on" position the additional LED light comes on on the drivers side light, making it higher and then both sides appear equal height...drive up to a wall and try it.
That is the difference between the "city" and "country road" modes of Variable Light Distribution (VLD). When the light switch is in the "automatic" position, VLD is active and, at speeds below 45km/h, the "city" mode is selected, which lowers the left headlight (since it assumes the presence of urban lighting) and tilts it to the left (to help identify pedestrians). On the other hand, when the switch is in the "on" position, VLD is disabled and the lighting mode is fixed to the "country road" mode (the same mode that would be selected with VLD active at speeds between 45km/h and 110 km/h).
      07-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #302
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, mine are working exactly like this, tunnel looks the same however mine was definitely closer to my car. Now that I've physically pointed my headlights a bit higher it has fixed this issue. I also agree with you on the light sensitivity setting, it seemed that the lights would turn off at the point that they actually hit the other car, whereas in the normal setting they turn off before then and wouldn't glare the other car. I'm happy with sensitive...I'm sure the less sensitive setting is the "ideal" mathematic time to turn them off, but I'm happy with a bit sooner.

Looking at all the settings around this system in FEM_BODY its extremely robust. It appears there are groups of settings for highway, rural roads, city, bad weather...etc. Just from memory there were about 6 separate sets of settings making me think that the behavior of the lights switches modes based on where you are driving. Extremely impressive...
      07-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #303
BIMPY3011
Private
Suriname
Rep
Drives: 1 Series

saw this vid and in this vid you can see how the lights should work with the tunnels etc.

Appreciate 3
      07-23-2015, 07:43 PM   #304
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMPY3011 View Post
saw this vid and in this vid you can see how the lights should work with the tunnels etc.

Good one! A bit of fog (or, based on what somebody has posted on the other site, a light drizzle) makes the tunnel much more obvious.
      07-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #305
CrazyT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Had the VO only coding about a month ago, and was never happy with it. The lights moved, but I was still throwing a bunch of light at the oncoming side and anyone I was behind.

I did the FDL coding today, and BIG improvement! They work now! The box around the vehicle in front of me is now well defined, and no extra light being thrown their way. Did the test of behind behind a semi truck and watching the different of the auto beams and just low beams and there was no difference to the light being reflected off the back.

Big thanks to dmnc02 for figuring this out and sharing the wealth!
Appreciate 3
      07-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #306
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Just got back late last evening from my week in the GTA.....it was about a 9+ hour drive, due to all the PanAm Games and Friday rush hour traffic on the 403/401/QEW....ugh. Hit the Rainbow Bridge though, and that was a 5 min border wait, so very good there at least.

3.5 hours of the trip was done "testing" this feature. What I have said so far in my previous reviews stands, and I don't really need to go over it again....it's just that now i've had 3.5 consecutive hours in one road test using this feature and yes it still works.....amazingly.

I had all sorts of road types......4 lane highways, divided (by large strips of land/trees in between) undivided. Rural 4 and 2 lane highways, driving through small towns, larger towns, 2 lane rural back roads. Basically RR-15, I-99, I-80 and just a multitude of back roads. Again, for 3.5 hours. Much of these roads were going through mountains, valleys, lots of turns, ect.

Not flashed ONCE. I must have passed hundreds of cars.

There was a lot of traffic on the roads, at least between 9:15 and 11:00 pm but then got a bit more quiet on the back roads after that.

The lights were doing FAR more than I ever saw them before....they had to....VERY active at times. It would maintain tunnels for my lane, but then also widen it up to handle oncoming traffic as well until it just needed to drop the Highs and move one of them off to the side.

Honestly, they were doing so much on this trip, I can't even describe everything. But everything it did, it did exceptionally well....and if ever I was coming up over a hill and the cam unexpectedly detected lights that it couldn't quickly handle or "tunnel" fast enough, it simply went to lows and FAST.

I'm completely and fully confident in this being fully functional at this point. For it to work in various driving situations for 3.5 consecutive hours, I don't think you can ask for more.

If anyone wants more in-depth analysis on what I witnessed with the lights on this trip, please ask.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 4
      07-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #307
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
Just got back late last evening from my week in the GTA.....it was about a 9+ hour drive, due to all the PanAm Games and Friday rush hour traffic on the 403/401/QEW....ugh. Hit the Rainbow Bridge though, and that was a 5 min border wait, so very good there at least.

3.5 hours of the trip was done "testing" this feature. What I have said so far in my previous reviews stands, and I don't really need to go over it again....it's just that now i've had 3.5 consecutive hours in one road test using this feature and yes it still works.....amazingly.

I had all sorts of road types......4 lane highways, divided (by large strips of land/trees in between) undivided. Rural 4 and 2 lane highways, driving through small towns, larger towns, 2 lane rural back roads. Basically RR-15, I-99, I-80 and just a multitude of back roads. Again, for 3.5 hours. Much of these roads were going through mountains, valleys, lots of turns, ect.

Not flashed ONCE. I must have passed thousands of cars.

There was a lot of traffic on the roads, at least between 9:15 and 11:00 pm but then got a bit more quiet on the back roads after that.

The lights were doing FAR more than I ever saw them before....they had to....VERY active at times. It would maintain tunnels for my lane, but then also widen it up to handle oncoming traffic as well until it just needed to drop the Highs and move one of them off to the side.

Honestly, they were doing so much on this trip, I can't even describe everything. But everything it did, it did exceptionally well....and if ever I was coming up over a hill and the cam unexpectedly detected lights that it couldn't quickly handle or "tunnel" fast enough, it simply went to lows and FAST.

I'm completely and fully confident in this being fully functional at this point. For it to work in various driving situations for 3.5 consecutive hours, I don't think you can ask for more.

If anyone wants more in-depth analysis on what I witnessed with the lights on this trip, please ask.
Thank you for the additional testing. It is especially helpful coming from one of the people who were very skeptical that this was working correctly before the additional coding.
      07-27-2015, 01:27 PM   #308
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post

Not flashed ONCE. I must have passed hundreds of cars.

Agree with this assessment, albeit on a shorter trip for me. For whatever reason, until this weekend I haven't had much reason to drive at night and when I did it was on roads with a lot of ambient light. This past Saturday I drove for about 1.5 hrs on various roads and it was highly impressive. I almost wish I was in the passenger seat as I was distracted by the light show ahead of me which is my chief complaint at this point--they are active to the point of being a distraction. I think this will be resolved on its own as I get used to it. It definitely improves visibility and it is a really unique feature--after teaching myself coding and laboring through getting it done it was extremely satisfying seeing them do their thing.

Is everybody else seeing the lights tunnel around signs when it reflects light back? That was the only situation where I saw it getting tripped up although I understand why the camera would have difficulty distinguishing between the reflecting sign and a headlight.
Appreciate 0