BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

05-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #155
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had originally enabled no-dazzle high beams by removing 5AP and 8S4 from the VO and then VO coding the FEM_BODY, KAFAS2, TMS and LHM modules. No-dazzle appeared to be working as it should, but just to be sure yesterday night I tried VO coding every module with the exception of DME2 and FEM_GW. I then drove for about 1 hour both on a freeway and on suburban roads, but did not notice no-dazzle operating any differently from before.

Since both TonySCV and VinnyA320 have reported that VO coding every module made a massive improvement in their case, the conclusion seems to be that doing so might or might not be necessary on the F8x, depending on other factors (build date, other installed options, etc.), but it is probably the safe way to proceed until these factors are identified.
      05-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #156
TonySCV
Captain
Rep
Drives: '18 M2; '21 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
Did you VO code the FEM_GW (Gateway) module? It does not appear to be VO codable.
Some modules will be "blank" - there won't be anything to VO code because there are no default values. "Code" will be greyed out/disabled for those modules. Out of the 35 or so modules that will be listed for the F80/2/3, a handful will not be able to be coded. That's fine. Just skip those.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #157
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Some modules will be "blank" - there won't be anything to VO code because there are no default values. "Code" will be greyed out/disabled for those modules. Out of the 35 or so modules that will be listed for the F80/2/3, a handful will not be able to be coded. That's fine. Just skip those.
I understand. FEM_GW was the only module I was unable to VO code: I wanted to make sure this was not the reason for our different results with enabling no-dazzle.
      05-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #158
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I understand. FEM_GW was the only module I was unable to VO code: I wanted to make sure this was not the reason for our different results with enabling no-dazzle.
Ahh... interesting. I'll check this out the next time I've got the car hooked up for coding.

EDIT: Use dmnc02's how-to guide to get no-dazzle high beams coded correctly: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1437345971

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-28-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:25 AM   #159
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh... interesting. I'll check this out the next time I've got the car hooked up for coding.

I do know that every module that had a CAFD file I was able to VO code successfully, so if you received some sort of error coding FEM_GW (FEM_GW = Front electronics module gateway) and it had a CAFD file that could be read/edited, then something is up. I'm almost certain it has a CAFD and should VO code successfully, and I would guess that would be the source of at least some of the "hidden" lighting values.
Yes, the gateway module very likely plays a role in the operation of no-dazzle, which is why I wanted to double-check if you were able to VO code it. However, I found that it had no editable (green dot) CAFD and the "Code" option was grayed out.

I got no coding errors from ESys, although a few warnings popped up as usual in iDrive while coding.
      05-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #160
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I only drove my car for about 20 minutes after I coded all the modules. as I mentioned, I noticed the lights did not seem to wander as much as before when I had only coded the 2 modules. previously, the lights seemed to have a lag when moving the steering wheel both with and without adaptive lighting engaged. with all of the modules coded, the lights followed my steering wheel inputs perfectly with minimal lag and seemed overall tighter when making adjustments due to my speed. when I turned on adaptive, the lights were quicker to adjust and turn on/off as vehicles passed by me. I'll drive it a bit more this week but from what I saw there was no doubt it made a difference in the few minutes that I drove after coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:27 AM   #161
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320 View Post
I only drove my car for about 20 minutes after I coded all the modules. as I mentioned, I noticed the lights did not seem to wander as much as before when I had only coded the 2 modules. previously, the lights seemed to have a lag when moving the steering wheel both with and without adaptive lighting engaged. with all of the modules coded, the lights followed my steering wheel inputs perfectly with minimal lag and seemed overall tighter when making adjustments due to my speed. when I turned on adaptive, the lights were quicker to adjust and turn on/off as vehicles passed by me. I'll drive it a bit more this week but from what I saw there was no doubt it made a difference in the few minutes that I drove after coding.
If you did not initially VO code the LHM and TMS modules (which are specific to the LED headlights), that could also possibly explain the improvement you noticed.

Also, as mentioned in the thread that TonySCV referenced in post #125, what motivated people on the F15/F16 board to initially try to VO code every module was that the light "tunneling" (which is what should happen as you approach other traffic from behind) did not seem to operate properly, not that the headlights were not adjusting quickly enough to oncoming traffic.
      05-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #162
VinnyA320
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA320 View Post
If you did not initially VO code the LHM and TMS modules (which are specific to the LED headlights), that could also possibly explain the improvement you noticed.

Also, as mentioned in the thread that TonySCV referenced in post #125, what motivated people on the F15/F16 board to initially try to VO code every module was that the light "tunneling" (which is what should happen as you approach other traffic from behind) did not seem to operate properly, not that the headlights were not adjusting quickly enough to oncoming traffic.
yes, I didn't code those other modules you mentioned so you may be right. the guide I was using for my coding had only mentioned VO coding the 2 modules and not the others you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #163
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

So my 428 loaner has the adaptive LEDs and they a pretty cool, but without this euro spec anti dazzle tech the auto high beams almost never activate and it is a bit tough to tell the different from xenons while in the driver's seat

Definitely need to code to make the $2k worth it
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #164
DaBean
Sakhir Smurf
Rep
Drives: Plaid, F82 M4, E46 M3, Sequoia

Garage List
2002 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
I coded this and didn't recode every module, but it seems to work. Can you confirm that I did this wrong and am not actually seeing the results?

Thanks

Quote:
Tried VO coding ICM in addition to the others, the other night. No change. Same (crappy) implementation where beams aren't aimed correctly, people getting blinded in front of you, etc.

So tonight I tried VO coding every module except DME(2). Massive improvement. It's working now identical to how it did on my F10, and how it looks in the video!

So, for F80/2/3 with LED leadlights and the high beam assistant, these are the (confirmed working!) instructions (lifted from opasha, as his instructions work verbatim for our cars as well:

Anti-Glare High Beam AKA "no-dazzle or anti-dazzle" euro spec high beams:
Just follow the steps below to enable this great Euro feature for any car that has LEDs.

1) Remove 5AP and 8S4 from your FA and follow the proper steps on writing it to your car.

2) Read FA, Activate FA, Read ECU, VO Code (right click code) all ECUs EXCEPT DME (DME is your engine ECU, don't ever touch this ECU folder).

3) External Applications/External Application/Transmitter - Clear ALL DTCs

Variable Light Distribution: All you have to do is remove 8S4 from your FA, then VO Code FEM_Body. This is for both LED and Bi-Xenon.

Variable Light Distribution has several different modes of operation (for Low Beam):

1 - City Light: Shallow and Very Wide Beam Pattern active from 0 - 50kph (30MPH) (Both Headlamps are Panned outwards 12 horizontal from center and 0.7 lowered vertically)

2 - Standard Light: Same Basic Beam Pattern as with 8S4 Enabled and Headlamp Switch Set to Auto. Active from 50 - 110kph (30MPH - 68MPH)

3 - Guiding Fog Light - Shallow and Wider Beam Pattern Enabled with the Front Fog Lamps On and Headlamp Switch in Auto and Speed 0 - 110kph (Both headlamps are panned outwards 8 horizontal from center and lowered 0.7 vertically)

4 - Highway Light - Long Throw Pattern illuminating approx. 25% further than Standard Light. Active from 110 to 250kph (68MPH- 155MHP). (Driver's Side Headlamp is panned 3.5 outwards Horizontal from center and lowered 0.25 vertically, while the passenger side headlamp is raised 0.2 vertical) (thank you @shawnsheridan)

Clarification of VLD, HBA, and Anti-Glare/Anti-Dazzle (thank you @skalberti):

VLD is Variable Light Distribution - It only works on your low beams to move your headlights and position the beams on the road depending on steering angle and vehicle speed.

HBA is High Beam Assistant - USA spec high beams that turn off in the presence of headlights or taillights of other cars and automatically turns the high beams on if no other cars are present.

Anti-Glare, Anti-Dazzle - European spec high beams that enable your car to keep the high beams on without blinding other cars.

If you're going to enable no-dazzle high beams or variable light distribution, do this work first, as it will wipe out any previously customized coding you have performed (you will need to re-do the coding again).

Many, many thanks to opasha who figured this out on 2015 X5's and X6's as it turns out, this coding is what is needed for the feature to work fully on F80/2/3's as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 05:57 PM   #165
TonySCV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBean View Post
I coded this and didn't recode every module, but it seems to work. Can you confirm that I did this wrong and am not actually seeing the results?

Thanks

EDIT: Use dmnc02's how-to guide to get no-dazzle high beams coded correctly: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1437345971

Last edited by TonySCV; 07-28-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #166
samsway
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2015

Newbie here. When you say VO code every module, what exactly are we coding in each module? Is it the same as the original KAFAS2 and FEM_BODY modules where we remove the 8S4 and 5AP?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #167
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsway View Post
Newbie here. When you say VO code every module, what exactly are we coding in each module? Is it the same as the original KAFAS2 and FEM_BODY modules where we remove the 8S4 and 5AP?
You are resetting each module to the default values for the specific Vehicle Order. You do this by right-clicking on each module and selecting "Code": the same as what you originally did with the KAFAS2 and FEM_BODY modules after removing 8S4 and 5AP from the VO.
      05-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #168
samsway
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2015

Quote:
You are resetting each module to the default values for the specific Vehicle Order. You do this by right-clicking on each module and selecting "Code": the same as what you originally did with the KAFAS2 and FEM_BODY modules after removing 8S4 and 5AP from the VO.
Got it. The actual act of clicking "code" is what codes each module to the new defaults specified by removing the 8S4 and 5AP from the VO.
Thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #169
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
So my 428 loaner has the adaptive LEDs and they a pretty cool, but without this euro spec anti dazzle tech the auto high beams almost never activate and it is a bit tough to tell the different from xenons while in the driver's seat

Definitely need to code to make the $2k worth it
After learning all this, I am thinking to not order LED unlike my original build. I don't mod so spending 2k on a bling does not make sense much. Really hope led will be standard or cheaper for 2016.....
      06-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #170
Gomie
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 & E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgere View Post
After learning all this, I am thinking to not order LED unlike my original build. I don't mod so spending 2k on a bling does not make sense much. Really hope led will be standard or cheaper for 2016.....
This technology, and after I found the the full adaptive coding threads are what swung me from, no way would I pay for LED to checking the box when ordering my M4. I just got the car home from ED and PC delivery and am planning to do this and a few other things in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 06:02 AM   #171
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomie
Quote:
This technology, and after I found the the full adaptive coding threads are what swung me from, no way would I pay for LED to checking the box when ordering my M4. I just got the car home from ED and PC delivery and am planning to do this and a few other things in the next few days.
I was not able to find a DIY or any other way to code the lights. Pple say they did it but remains a mystery to me how.
How will you do this?
      06-21-2015, 08:56 PM   #172
Gomie
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 & E46 M3

Quote:
I was not able to find a DIY or any other way to code the lights. Pple say they did it but remains a mystery to me how.
How will you do this?
I did this LED coding last night along with a number of other smaller items, but the full adaptive being the primary reason for me to bother coding. while my car was being built/shipped I spent a lot of time reading through the many DIY coding posts, and read some of the e-sys guides so I knew I would be able to accomplish what I wanted with the adaptive lighting.

So now that I have this done on my car and took it out for a drive last night, I was at first not impressed, until i realized like many of the best technologies I use, that it was working so wonderfully that I didn't realize it was working, until i was manually switching the adaptive function on and off and could really tell the difference back to back. not a car flashed me while driving around last night. by the end of my drive I was truly amazed at the adaptive lighting function but was also impressed with the Variable Light Distribution for low beam lighting. I walked away from last evenings drive with a very excited sense of accomplishment as well as a feeling of awe in the lighting technology that is in this car now.

I love living in the future, this stuff rocks!

Also I would like to thank the forum, Shawn and Token Master for the tools and knowledge that is made available to everyone.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #173
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How will you do this?
It has been mentioned in several posts in this thread: you need to remove 5AP and 8S4 from the vehicle FA and then VO code the FEM_BODY, FLA/KAFAS2, TMS and LHM modules.

See also posts #142 and #155 in this thread.

This is a good step-by-step guide to how to modify the vehicle FA and VO code:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...96339352,d.cWw

Last edited by dmnc02; 06-21-2015 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Link added
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #174
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Can anyone on Long Island, NY code my lights?
2018 M5 - maybe next
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #175
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Update on my car... My original complaints are post #117 in this thread if you want to see what I was bitching about.

My car has LEDs and the FLA3 camera (I don't have drivers assistance package).

I VO coded all modules except DME and NBT (for some reason, NBT gave me an error while VO coding.? I can FDL code the NBT module no problem...) I'm not sure what the NBT module would do for the no-dazzle adaptive high beams, but this could be why I did not get the results others have had.

Anyway, my lights still do not function properly. I do not have the tunneling or black box around cars while I'm behind them. It works the same way as I stated in post #117. It still shines a lot of light on the car ahead of me and I can clearly see their shadow on the trees in front of them. I can see my lights reflecting off their rear and sideview mirrors.

The lights are slow to react and it's obvious cars coming the opposite way drive through my driver side high beam. I got flashed again last night (not in the good way). After the car passes by me, the high beam turns off, then immediately back on like it couldn't turn off fast enough.

I'm gonna try VO coding every module again and see what happens, it it doesn't make things better, I'm going to add 5AP back to the FA and I'm over it.

I'm gonna try to put the gopro on the m3 and then have my girlfriend drive in front of me down some back roads at night and see if I can record a good representation of what my lights are doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 10:00 PM   #176
dmnc02
Major
United_States
Rep

BTW, shawnsheridan has also stated in another forum than VO coding any modules other than those mentioned in post #173 above is in his opinion not necessary. See post #8 in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=849011