Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-22-2021, 02:28 PM   #353
Publius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F93 M8 Comp, F10 M5, E39 M5

Satellite ship tracking

There are several free websites where you can locate your ship when it's within ~20-40 nautical miles of a land station. Land-station AIS is only useful for telling you when the boat is moored or very near a port.

If you are a fanatic who wants to track your boat between ports—which it will be most of the journey—you need a satellite AIS service.

Others have mentioned:
  1. Fleetmon: ~$300/month subscription, 14 day free trial. If your boat is traveling intercontinentally, 14 days isn't enough for the complete voyage, and the subscription price is prohibitive. But it works great for those 14 days.
  2. MarineTraffic: The website isn't quite as informative as Fleetmon, but it does the job. To get the map to update properly, you have to re-search for your boat every time you want an update. A minor annoyance, but it works. They have a 7 day free trial, and for only $16.50/month (https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/onl...s/sat-flexible), you can track your boat by satellite.
If you sign up with these paid subscriptions just to get the free trial, don't forget to cancel your subscription before the trial ends. As others have mentioned, you can cancel the Fleetmon and MarineTraffic paid subscriptions immediately after you start the trials and still get the 14 or 7 days access.

If you're willing to pay $16.50-$33 for 1-2 months worth of subscription for stalking the boat carrying the vehicle you ordered, MarineTraffic is a great option.

If you are a true cheapskate (which your buying a BMW M argues against, unless you're spending your last $33 on the car), and your boat's going to be transiting for >14 days, free tracking requires you to sign up for multiple serial free trials. 14 days Fleetmon + 7 days MarineTraffic are probably enough for a voyage from Bremerhaven to the US East Coast, but won't get you through the Panama canal to the US West Coast. VTExplorer.com will give you a 3 day free trial, so now you're up to 20 days. Still not enough for many destinations.

I found a service that provides free satellite tracking, with no sign-up, no time limit, and no credit card required. MyShipTracking's free service provides only the most basic info, but does provide real-time satellite location updates. https://www.myshiptracking.com/

Last edited by Publius; 06-23-2021 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #354
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

Amazing post!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #355
PinkIcculus
New X5 Owner, Want To Mod It
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, All the trims possible

Any way to tell if its built in US or Europe Plant?

I have an X5 that entered production last week and says it will be complete "AUG 7th".

Hooray! - But I live in New Jersey / New York City area. So shipping from Europe is probably much longer than the U.S. Plant in South Carolina.

Anyone have insight? Or experience following this delivery on the East Coast US?

I REALLY can't wait. I have so many trips coming up and I need it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #356
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkIcculus View Post
I have an X5 that entered production last week and says it will be complete "AUG 7th".

Hooray! - But I live in New Jersey / New York City area. So shipping from Europe is probably much longer than the U.S. Plant in South Carolina.

Anyone have insight? Or experience following this delivery on the East Coast US?

I REALLY can't wait. I have so many trips coming up and I need it.
Should be fairly Quick since it’s build here in the US- congrats
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #357
PinkIcculus
New X5 Owner, Want To Mod It
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, All the trims possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Should be fairly Quick since it’s build here in the US- congrats
Oh wow, you think? I assumed it was built here in the US but wasn't sure. I wonder how long it will take to get from South Carolina to NJ.

Wish I could fly down there and drive it up myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 07:32 PM   #358
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkIcculus View Post
Oh wow, you think? I assumed it was built here in the US but wasn't sure. I wonder how long it will take to get from South Carolina to NJ.

Wish I could fly down there and drive it up myself.
Honestly not long since it only needs to be dispatched via truck to your dealer. That’s mostly a 1-2 day haul.

Ps. Idk if those cars need to stop at port also? Anyone knows
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 10:10 PM   #359
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeM15 View Post
Honestly not long since it only needs to be dispatched via truck to your dealer. That’s mostly a 1-2 day haul.

Ps. Idk if those cars need to stop at port also? Anyone knows
There are some times reasons they are held at port for days or even a month plus. It is completely dependent on the car and the reason for it being held at port.

Some times they tell you the reason for it being held at port, some times they don't.
      10-26-2022, 09:41 AM   #360
TitanNut88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CxDrive & GR Yaris

Guys, is this guide applicable for non-US cars? E.g. G87 M2 for Spain delivery.
Appreciate 0