GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

11-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Jump a gen back to F82 ?

Hi together,

I might get killed now here from some people but I would like to get some opinions (as objective as possible).

I have the G80 MT and since a couple of weeks I'm scratching my head if I should swap for a low milage (8'000km) F82 DCT. It's a damn good car the G80, but something is lacking, some character I can't really tell but the excitment is somehow gone

I love the MT but after driving the DCT I can't stop thinking about...
Yes, the interior and tech is a thing you really feel the difference, but I always think it's a performance car and the gimmicks are things that are nice, but not a must have.

I'm just a little scared that the excitement will pass with the time and I will regret it..of course I loose quiet some amount of money when swapping now, I own the car 6 months and the biggest value loss is withing the first year.

Oh and please no discussion about the styling, I bet my ass most of you hate the G80 just trying to get an objective opinion from you guys.

Also:
How is the maintenance ?
Any knows issues? I googled a bit, but couldn't find anything really related

What is annoying about the F8x ?

and a side question:
Can the M Performance Exhaust be mounted on an F82 WITH OPF ?

Thanks in advance for your honest opinions !
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Maybe you should go to the G80/G82 Forum and ask them to convince you into keeping your fat ugly G80!
Appreciate 1
dpgfunk332.50
      11-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
cheveux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M4

If you do sell your G80 and buy the F82...just do a crank hub fix and you will have a car for a lifetime, with indisputable beautiful looks
Appreciate 3
      11-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
Hi together,

I might get killed now here from some people but I would like to get some opinions (as objective as possible).

I have the G80 MT and since a couple of weeks I'm scratching my head if I should swap for a low milage (8'000km) F82 DCT. It's a damn good car the G80, but something is lacking, some character I can't really tell but the excitment is somehow gone

I love the MT but after driving the DCT I can't stop thinking about...
Yes, the interior and tech is a thing you really feel the difference, but I always think it's a performance car and the gimmicks are things that are nice, but not a must have.

I'm just a little scared that the excitement will pass with the time and I will regret it..of course I loose quiet some amount of money when swapping now, I own the car 6 months and the biggest value loss is withing the first year.

Oh and please no discussion about the styling, I bet my ass most of you hate the G80 just trying to get an objective opinion from you guys.

Also:
How is the maintenance ?
Any knows issues? I googled a bit, but couldn't find anything really related

What is annoying about the F8x ?

and a side question:
Can the M Performance Exhaust be mounted on an F82 WITH OPF ?

Thanks in advance for your honest opinions !

Jokes aside F8X is an awesome platform and you’re probably aware of some of the quirks of going back a generation (interior, tech, etc.). From that perspective I’d probably go for a car with Full Leather and Exec Pack to make that bridge a little less break-neck. Fundamentally F8X and G8X are very similar cars. Having just been evangelized on the CS, if you’re looking for the best stock driving F8X then pick up a CS - it’ll probably wash with G8X in terms of price/value. It has that stripped down appeal that I think you are alluding to in terms of not needing the latest and greatest do-dads. It really is a significant improvement from the regular cars, and is likely a bridge between F8X and G8X in terms of driving dynamics. If you do decide to go non-CS F8X then I would suggest the GTS steering, DCT, MDM, Diff tune. Mainly the steering and DCT are two “mods” that are immediately noticeable and have a significant positive impact IMO. Again, if you go CS you really won’t need to do anything - it is extremely good right out of the box. That’s not to say regular F8X isn’t fantastic, but the CS is just the perfected version of it. In terms of things to look out for:

1. TMIC leak
2. Rear Diff bushing leak
3. Front Turbo oil leak
4. SCH (this one is very overblown. It doesn’t sound like you’re going to tune so if it worries you, which it really shouldn’t, just slap on a CBC after warranty is done and put your worries to bed)

I will say just generally that if you’re looking for road going excitement from the perspective that you’re wringing a car out, then I don’t know that F8X will do it for you. In that regard, it has the same issue as G8X in that it’s much to fast to push on the street. Having said that, it does feel less insulated and more alive when compared to newer BMWs (my opinion of course) so it might just be the halfway house between older and new that you’re looking for.
Scorp!on1510.00
      11-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #5
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

thanks mate for this bunch of informations !

Comparing both of them driving of course the drive of the G80 is better, the front end sticks on the street and on the F82 I had issues building up confidence (I only drove it about 40 minutes, I'm aware this takes time).
But what gave me impression was the character this car has.

I also took a look at the CS, but the lack of storage room is a thing that bothers me tbh as I will also daily the car.

Is it a big thing to add this suggested tunes on a comp ? Or is this software based?

I will make anyway my thoughts about it and I think in the end decide if it's worth losing some amount of money to maybe have more joy in the next couple of years.

p.s. I really appreciate such good posts like yours, it's not the idea to start a hate thread as in the end we're all BMW drivers...
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
thanks mate for this bunch of informations !

Comparing both of them driving of course the drive of the G80 is better, the front end sticks on the street and on the F82 I had issues building up confidence (I only drove it about 40 minutes, I'm aware this takes time).
But what gave me impression was the character this car has.

I also took a look at the CS, but the lack of storage room is a thing that bothers me tbh as I will also daily the car.

Is it a big thing to add this suggested tunes on a comp ? Or is this software based?

I will make anyway my thoughts about it and I think in the end decide if it's worth losing some amount of money to maybe have more joy in the next couple of years.

p.s. I really appreciate such good posts like yours, it's not the idea to start a hate thread as in the end we're all BMW drivers...

So front end grip is easy to improve with bigger & stickier tires and some additional camber thru camber plates. In that regard BMW just did what a lot of people were doing to their F8X - run a wider front setup and add more front camber. Better damping with a CS type suspension setup also helps a lot. You can actually convert a regular M4 (comp or non comp) to CS suspension since the CS is just a mix of regular M4 suspension parts with superior electronic tuning. You’d basically need Base springs & sway bar and Comp dampers in the front with a comp rear setup (if I remember correctly) then it’s just a simple coding session to enable it. The CS suspension setup takes care of all the “nervousness” of F8X suspension - far more confidence inspiring and compliant. All my suggested tunes aren’t really tunes, rather they are the result of coding and enabling them since all the modules already exist in the car’s firmware, they just have to be switched on. If you want to add power then that’ll require a flash tune thru either a tuner or a app like Bootmod3 or MHD.

Yeah man just trying to help you make the right decision for yourself!

Edit: the other thing you can do with a CS or 19/20 setup on a regular car is run the star spec PS4S which we’ve seen has a massive impact on performance and feel on G8X
Scorp!on1510.00
      11-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #7
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

great to know this stuff, thanks mate !

I would not plan to tune this car at all with adding power, only the M Performance Exhaust is in my mind as the sound of it is batsh** crazy !!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:57 PM   #8
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
great to know this stuff, thanks mate !

I would not plan to tune this car at all with adding power, only the M Performance Exhaust is in my mind as the sound of it is batsh** crazy !!
Yup - I'm actively looking for a CS so I would be in the same boat as you in terms of looking for mods with a fresh lens. I don't plan on doing much but there are a couple things I will definitely bring over:

1a. My EL midpipe - this is a gamechanger for me; I couldn't own F8X without it. Sounds mean AF with MPE - vids of that setup below.

1b. Valve controller - this little thing is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Can easily turn the thunder on or off. The best part is I can run efficient throttle and keep the valves open.

2. Camber plates - self explanatory since F8X has fixed camber.

3. 18in wheels - these are my winter and track wheels, Bimmerworld TA16s. Would absolutely keep the stock 19/20 setup for summer dailying / spirited drives

Bonus: MAYBE (still undecided) MPHAS but I would not go as low as I am on my F82, probably only a little lower than stock height.

Generally, IMO, the only things that F8X really need out of the box are suspension tuning + proper alignment and better/more rubber. All these things are addressed in G8X, so if you are coming from there, you'd probably want to make those adjustments as well. Other than that, its plenty fast in any guise and it's a very intuitive platform to work with and tweak to your liking.

The other curve ball that you could throw is going M2C with DCT. All of my points above translate to F87 since it's part of the F8X family, although the suspension options are a little more limited since M2C doesn't have adaptive dampers - you'd have to go straight to a self contained setup like a JRZ touring.

Vids of MPE + EL:

Scorp!on1510.00
      11-10-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yo!

I totally get what you are saying. The lack of "feel" of some of the newer cars is very subtle, but it's there. That is why I traded my awesome M240i for my M3. It is SO much more raw, yet cruises when you want it to. The M240 was redic quick, and fun as a DD. But I could never wring any character out of it. It was almost too smooth....

Other than the obvious financial loss, which if you can shoulder it, I say do it. I think the F8x is one of the best looking cars on the planet, not to mention a monster of a car. You are clearly not totally in love with the G80, which would drive me nuts.

FWIW, I made a huge mistake and tried to return to Subaru last year, and did the same thing you are loooking to do. I am super glad I did.

Good luck!

josh
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      11-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
Yo!

FWIW, I made a huge mistake and tried to return to Subaru last year, and did the same thing you are loooking to do. I am super glad I did.

Good luck!

josh
I did this exact same mistake. I went with a 2020 STI limited and it was fun for about 2 months but jesus that car was miserable to drive.

WAY happier now in my F82 CS.

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321103.00
Scorp!on1510.00
spidy512491.50
      11-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #11
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Paging NickyC

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      11-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #12
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Exactly why I bched about a year on G8x not having DCT as a performance option, instead of stupid carbon fiber add-ons that do absolutely nothing for performance.

Sad it's essentially a 350i with suspension mods now.

Question for OP though, does the MT have rev hang when driven with rev matching off?
      11-11-2021, 04:35 AM   #13
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

thank you all for your opinions !

I will test drive the M4 Comp (F82) this week again and decide then.

kyrix1st

What do you mean with rev hang? that the rev stays on the RPM when clutching ?
Didn't notice, but will check later and tell you then.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

kyrix1st

You should test drive an M4cs also if you have the opportunity. The M4cs is not meant for everyone, but if you are one of those that it tickles the senses in the right places, you really love it. The M4cs feels so much more connected and "raw" than the base or competition M4.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 11-11-2021 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7563.50
Scorp!on1510.00
      11-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #15
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah to second what CanAutM3 is saying, I think you should at least test drive a CS to feel what the F8X OE suspension is capable of. That way if you end up with a non-CS, you can at least emulate the CS suspension to varying degrees depending on what components you can get your hands on. You'll also get to experience the CS steering and DCT calibrations as well, which will give you some things to think about.
Scorp!on1510.00
      11-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #16
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

thanks for the suggestion of the M4cs, it was also in my mind but I have to pass as there are some things I definitely would miss as I'm daily my M car.

there only the M3cs would be an option, but hard to find for a reasonable price here in Switzerland.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #17
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks for the suggestion of the M4cs, it was also in my mind but I have to pass as there are some things I definitely would miss as I'm daily my M car.

there only the M3cs would be an option, but hard to find for a reasonable price here in Switzerland.
My M4cs was also my daily driver. There's not that much to miss out on, you should really try one out.

Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      11-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #18
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Be like me (well not really, but at least in this instance). Dump that G8x turd and get in an F8x. You won't regret it!
Appreciate 2
Scorp!on1510.00
spidy512491.50
      11-12-2021, 12:38 PM   #19
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:

kyrix1st

Yes, rev hang is time it takes for the engine rpm to drop in between shifts. My E92 M3 drops instantly, just like my E36 euro. F82 6MT I test drove had some rev hang but I heard it is disabled in sport plus, so I was wondering if it could be disabled in G82 because I know there is a separate option to choose that on the M-Drive.
      11-12-2021, 01:15 PM   #20
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Yes, rev hang is time it takes for the engine rpm to drop in between shifts. My E92 M3 drops instantly, just like my E36 euro. F82 6MT I test drove had some rev hang but I heard it is disabled in sport plus, so I was wondering if it could be disabled in G82 because I know there is a separate option to choose that on the M-Drive.
ah now I understand !
Yes, you can deactivate auto rev-match so it will drop instantly

to the others:
Ok I'll check if I can try an M4cs, you made me curious ...
altough lacking sound system could be an issue, I like to listen to music when driving...
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7563.50
      11-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #21
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

It has a sound system just not the same in the regular F8xs. Its not a complete stripper my man, just lacking some creature comforts.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1510.00
      11-12-2021, 03:38 PM   #22
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
to the others:
Ok I'll check if I can try an M4cs, you made me curious ...
altough lacking sound system could be an issue, I like to listen to music when driving...
Yes! Funnily enough the CS is actually a better daily driver IMO because the suspension rebound settings are much better. I found it much more comfortable and way less nervous on the utterly broken roads around me. Totally understand your concerns on amenities though, my thought was that by driving a CS you will know what the suspension is capable of given you are coming from G8X - steering and DCT calibrations are also improved from the regular models. So whatever you end up with, if it is F8X, you'll know that/how you can get to those CS settings if you liked them.
Scorp!on1510.00