Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-30-2021, 07:31 AM   #1
KyleReece
Registered
Rep
Drives: C300d AMG Line

M4 buying advice please

Good Afternoon gents,

I’ve been dreaming the M4 since it came out and have never really been able to afford it until now as they’re finally around 30k

I’m after a LCI model M4 however as my budget is at the lowest point of the LCI’s, I can not afford the M4 Competion Coupe which is what I originally wanted purely for the seats and the exhaust.

I then realized non CP M4’s are cheaper however they don’t have the nice seats or the exhaust.

I found a middle ground/compromise...the convertibles, non CP M4’s are well within budget, either coupes and convertibles are 30-32k. I’ve always wanted a convertible car however with a car like the M4, I didn’t fancy one with a hole in the roof that doesn’t handle as well but then I though, I’m no Lewis Hamilton, who cares, imagine a drop top M4!

If someone can help answer some questions for me please,

Coupe and convertibles, I hear the latter is 200kg, is there a big difference dynamically?

Competition pack and non competition pack, is there a big enough difference to warrant the extra cash? I want to buy approved used so it has a warranty so M4 coupes Comps are a few grams out of budget. Convertibles Comps are in budget, so, would a Competition pick convertible be worth the extra money for the dynamic side of things.

I know I’m not making much sense but my predicament is hard to explain.

I can comfortably afford a M4 Coupe and M4 Convertible, I can just about afford a M4 Convertible CP pack but I can’t afford a M4 Coupe CP pack,

In your experience, what is my best option,

For my most recent car history, as a guide, my current car is a C300d Mercedes, previous was an FK8 Civic Type R and before that was my fave car ever, BMW 430d GranCoupe, I love the 4 series shape.

The reason I gave my car history is a guide for you guys to maybe judge which would be best for me, as if I only drove Micra’s and Fiesta’s, the M4 Convertibles trade offs might not be a big deal.

I’m aiming to buy one March time

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 07:13 AM   #2
FJ_OPA80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

hi and welcome

I'm another future-buyer (though later in the year for me) and I posted a similar thread (you'll find it on the main page) but mine was more general questions.

however i did a spot of searching and found this thread which might help you:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1002076

But it's light on detail. I'm sure someone more informed will reply in due course.

Enjoy whatever you go with
      01-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #3
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleReece View Post
Good Afternoon gents,

I’ve been dreaming the M4 since it came out and have never really been able to afford it until now as they’re finally around 30k

I’m after a LCI model M4 however as my budget is at the lowest point of the LCI’s, I can not afford the M4 Competion Coupe which is what I originally wanted purely for the seats and the exhaust.

I then realized non CP M4’s are cheaper however they don’t have the nice seats or the exhaust.

I found a middle ground/compromise...the convertibles, non CP M4’s are well within budget, either coupes and convertibles are 30-32k. I’ve always wanted a convertible car however with a car like the M4, I didn’t fancy one with a hole in the roof that doesn’t handle as well but then I though, I’m no Lewis Hamilton, who cares, imagine a drop top M4!

If someone can help answer some questions for me please,

Coupe and convertibles, I hear the latter is 200kg, is there a big difference dynamically?

Competition pack and non competition pack, is there a big enough difference to warrant the extra cash? I want to buy approved used so it has a warranty so M4 coupes Comps are a few grams out of budget. Convertibles Comps are in budget, so, would a Competition pick convertible be worth the extra money for the dynamic side of things.

I know I’m not making much sense but my predicament is hard to explain.

I can comfortably afford a M4 Coupe and M4 Convertible, I can just about afford a M4 Convertible CP pack but I can’t afford a M4 Coupe CP pack,

In your experience, what is my best option,

For my most recent car history, as a guide, my current car is a C300d Mercedes, previous was an FK8 Civic Type R and before that was my fave car ever, BMW 430d GranCoupe, I love the 4 series shape.

The reason I gave my car history is a guide for you guys to maybe judge which would be best for me, as if I only drove Micra’s and Fiesta’s, the M4 Convertibles trade offs might not be a big deal.

I’m aiming to buy one March time

Thanks in advance
I’m confused how you’ve got to CP convertibles being so much cheaper if at all over the Coupe CP’s?

I’ve just looked on Autotrader and found cars with 25k miles around 4 years old, all CP’s for £34k.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Unless you REALLY want an F83, don't consider one. Just focus your efforts on an F82.
Vice-versa, if you REALLY want an F82, just don't consider an F83.
It's the first, most important decision to make.
Once you've decided, then look to see what your budget will allow.
I'd go for total spec in the first instance, over whether or not it's CP or non-CP. Most of the CP stuff can be added later, if you so desire, for reasonable expenditure.
I'd also try & stretch it out to an Lci, as there were various improvements.
Essential kit includes HUD & HK Audio. IMO that's it, although others would say icons & c/f interior also. FWIW I don't agree.
I don't have icons & aren't fussed for them, the standard LED's are just fine.
I have the c/f interior, but it's not essential, as it can easily be added down the line & would give you a little advantage for hammering a deal out.
      02-01-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Things from the Comp Pack (ZCP) can be added later. Start with the LCI regardless of platform, it's better value and add-ons install easier. It's not hard to switch stock EDC shocks to ZCP later. Most other stuff codes or flashes.

HUD would be hard to add later. Same with the Adaptive headlights. Pick that now. I personally don't see much value in the Executive package, but that's me.

Unless it's hot in Surrey the regular seats with heat may be nice. I don't find the full leather seats too hot or sticky.

Carbon brakes, stay away. Steel is much better for the money value.

Stock exhaust is usually one of the first things to replace. If you liked the ZCP burbles just try them on stock pipes. I wanted a deeper growl and bought a kit.

Don't stress, stay in budget, and enjoy what you get.
      02-01-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
My advice get one bought!!

I've got a non comp pack with Bootmod3 map, decat, MPE exhaust and coilovers and it's frickin awesome.

You can start with a non comp and then add some mods as you go along.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:06 PM   #7
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Hi guys

I'm researching the possibility of upgrading my 2014 330d tourer (which I've had since new) for an M4 CP.

The must haves I've initially put on the list are:
1) LCI - newer styling with LED lights, suspension upgrade and engine tweak.
2) HK audio
3) DCT gearbox
4) Internet connection
Reading the above, maybe HUD should be on the list.

Not sure I'd want 20" wheels on our wonderful British roads - not sure if all LCI's come with 20" wheels? Hopefully it'll be clear to identify online if a certain vehicle is an LCI model or not. I guess that if it has a 18 or newer plate, it'll be an LCI.

I'm tempted to go via the BMW used approved vehicle route - there'll be a guarantee and my trade in will heave a decent amount off the bottom line. I'm not spending more than £40-45k on a two/three year old vehicle.

Maybe a PCP should be considered. BMW hated taking cash when I bought my 330d. I'll have about £20k deposit, plus a car, plus a bank loan for what's left to pay. Whilst this type of car isn't something that teenagers are going to be thrashing round the streets and not bothering with any servicing I'm still concerned about getting one that hasn't been treated as well as I've treated my 330d, so it'll need a max of two owners, but preferably just one.

I feel I'll want to remove any artificially made engine sounds but can anyone comment on road noise with an M4.

Any comments would be most welcome.
      12-03-2021, 02:59 AM   #8
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consett Mag View Post
Hi guys

I'm researching the possibility of upgrading my 2014 330d tourer (which I've had since new) for an M4 CP.

2) HK audio
3) DCT gearbox
4) Internet connection

Not sure I'd want 20" wheels on our wonderful British roads - not sure if all LCI's come with 20" wheels? Hopefully it'll be clear to identify online if a certain vehicle is an LCI model or not. I guess that if it has a 18 or newer plate, it'll be an LCI.

I'm tempted to go via the BMW used approved vehicle route - there'll be a guarantee and my trade in will heave a decent amount off the bottom line. I'm not spending more than £40-45k on a two/three year old vehicle.

Maybe a PCP should be considered. BMW hated taking cash when I bought my 330d. I'll have about £20k deposit, plus a car, plus a bank loan for what's left to pay. Whilst this type of car isn't something that teenagers are going to be thrashing round the streets and not bothering with any servicing I'm still concerned about getting one that hasn't been treated as well as I've treated my 330d, so it'll need a max of two owners, but preferably just one.

I feel I'll want to remove any artificially made engine sounds but can anyone comment on road noise with an M4.

Hi, I’m following this with interest as I’m in a similar predicament. I’ve been half heartedly looking for around 6 months now but I want a specific colour combo & I’m lazy so can’t be arsed to travel the country in my search, I still also really like my 440i with mppsk so if one comes up reasonably locally we’ll see what happens.

It’s quite slow on this forum, you may be better checking the M3 cutters forum if you haven’t already. Good luck in your search!

https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/forum...-2014-2020.74/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 03:18 AM   #9
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
Hi, I’m following this with interest as I’m in a similar predicament. I’ve been half heartedly looking for around 6 months now but I want a specific colour combo & I’m lazy so can’t be arsed to travel the country in my search, I still also really like my 440i with mppsk so if one comes up reasonably locally we’ll see what happens.

It’s quite slow on this forum, you may be better checking the M3 cutters forum if you haven’t already. Good luck in your search!

Thanks for that tip, though I'm not sure how the mods will take to members directing members to other forums!! 😂

If there's no response I'll try the f30 board first but I'll check your tip also.
You still feel the pull of an M4 despite your 440i? What's the attraction in your case?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 03:36 AM   #10
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that tip, though I'm not sure how the mods will take to members directing members to other forums!! 😂

If there's no response I'll try the f30 board first but I'll check your tip also.
You still feel the pull of an M4 despite your 440i? What's the attraction in your case?
Apologies, didn’t think about that but just being honest, I mainly frequent the f30 forum myself anyway so no worries there.

Dunno what the real pull is, my last M car was an E36 M3 Evo in Estoril blue many years ago so maybe just the last opportunity before we get forced into electric. Haven’t driven one yet so that will probably make the decision for me, running cost wise won’t be an issue as I do less than 5k miles per year.

Like I said earlier I’m still really happy with the 440i so as well as liking the M4 driving experience when I finally test drive one I’ll want a reasonable px price for mine (or sale price) I’m in no rush so I’ll keep on looking on my work breaks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 05:14 PM   #11
Frosty1980
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325CI E46/ BMW F36 430D

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys

2) HK audio
3) DCT gearbox
4) Internet connection

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys

2) HK audio
3) DCT gearbox
4) Internet connection

Hi, I'm following this with interest as I'm in a similar predicament. I've been half heartedly looking for around 6 months now but I want a specific colour combo & I'm lazy so can't be arsed to travel the country in my search, I still also really like my 440i with mppsk so if one comes up reasonably locally we'll see what happens.

It's quite slow on this forum, you may be better checking the M3 cutters forum if you haven't already. Good luck in your search!

Did you ever sell your 440i?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 03:59 AM   #12
Sheepy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty1980 View Post
No, still driving it as the right replacement hasn’t turned up yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 04:20 AM   #13
Frosty1980
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 325CI E46/ BMW F36 430D

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty1980 View Post
No, still driving it as the right replacement hasn’t turned up yet.
Let me know when you're ready. I'm still looking for a 40i 👍
Appreciate 0