EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #45
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Good info so far.

I would definitely add that you can mail order your swiss and austrian vignettes online ahead of time. Definitely worth while and takes away some of the stress (finding a gas station or stopping when you are short on time)

I'm sure this is a minor detail, but I'm pretty sure you don't need a vignette if you aren't planning to use the highways. When I looked it up, it was only required for highway use. My Austrian vignette was a waste of $$ on my ED.

The only reason why I mention this is that Munich -> Grossglockner does not require you to use Austrian highways. In fact, I never set rubber upon an Austrian highway my entire ED.
For example, we bought an Austrian vignette
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:47 PM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Good info so far.

I would definitely add that you can mail order your swiss and austrian vignettes online ahead of time. Definitely worth while and takes away some of the stress (finding a gas station or stopping when you are short on time)

I'm sure this is a minor detail, but I'm pretty sure you don't need a vignette if you aren't planning to use the highways. When I looked it up, it was only required for highway use. My Austrian vignette was a waste of $$ on my ED.

The only reason why I mention this is that Munich -> Grossglockner does not require you to use Austrian highways. In fact, I never set rubber upon an Austrian highway my entire ED.
For example, we bought an Austrian vignette
That is correct. BUT... often times you will find yourself headed onto an Austrian Autobahn with no way of turning back. Then you are finished! Because often times the Austrian Polizei wait on the on ramps or exit ramps to check your vignette. They also have over head cameras behind the Autobahn signs that car FLASH(Blitz) you when you do not have a vignette.

Do you know the fine for not having a 8 euro(10 day pass) Austrian Vignette ? It is a 120 euros fine, CASH on the spot! No exceptions.

Also... IF you do not fully affix the vignette to the windshield(as to remove it latter, so as not to leave any marks)... the Austrian Polizei say that is "deceiving" bc some people buy ONE vignette and move it from car to car. IF the Polizei stop you and they see your vignette not fully affixed to the inner windshield... then my friend you will have to cough up 500 euros, cash on the spot! Don;t have any cash? The Austrian Polizei will gladly take your cell phone or camera or laptop as payment. Yes - they do do that!

There are so many gas stations South of Munich that sell the vignette. Same goes for the Swiss vignette(40 euros for one year).

Btw... Germany has been talking about a PKW(car) Vignette. It looks like in two years - all visitors will have to have an vignette. Unlike Austria, Germany will make EVERYONE(including Germans) pay this vignette fee/tax. Then, the German's will get the tax back when they pay for the car's registration the next year. So far this is just all "talk". But I think within two years we will have this "(tax)reality".

Dackel

Austrian Vignette signs...
Name:  Vignette verkauf 0,,17201446_404,00.jpg
Views: 2009
Size:  16.7 KB

Name:  Vignette Symbolbild338.jpg
Views: 3144
Size:  9.5 KB

The far right sign reads: Last possible place to purchase an Austrian Vignette(!)
Name:  Vignette sales  IMG_2467.jpg
Views: 2361
Size:  79.9 KB

Name:  vignettes next exit stop P1230660.jpg
Views: 2255
Size:  144.5 KB

Maut = Toll (road)
Name:  maut_schild_rostock_pa_1180.jpg.8374676 (1).jpg
Views: 1984
Size:  386.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #47
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

Awesome information Dackel :P Helpful as always,
Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      03-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #48
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Hi,

First Thanks a lot for the great thread.
I'm going to visit Munich next month and I have rented a 458 Italia for two days as described in this thread. I have 500 KM that I don't mind to exceed if it'll worth it.

Do you think that the routes I have chosen are good enough for spirited driving? Can you suggest other routes? What about the romantic road?
I prefer not to drive in narrow roads like this one as the excess is Euro 10.000.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      03-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #49
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingikra View Post
Hi,

First Thanks a lot for the great thread.
I'm going to visit Munich next month and I have rented a 458 Italia for two days as described in this thread. I have 500 KM that I don't mind to exceed if it'll worth it.

Do you think that the routes I have chosen are good enough for spirited driving? Can you suggest other routes? What about the romantic road?
I prefer not to drive in narrow roads like this one as the excess is Euro 10.000.

Thanks in advance!
I'm a little confused? You want to stay under 500kms right? And you don't want to drive the Bavarian Alps(like I did in my thread). ?

Can you give me a link to the route you want to drive? The Romantic Road is a nice one. It's just I really prefer the area South-Eastern of Munich. Even driving into Austria is a blast - but I suspect you probably can't take your Ferrari rental outside of Germany(right)?

For me I really like driving in the Bad Tölz and Southern parts of Germany. What about driving the Tatzelwurmstraße ? It starts around Brannenburg - Bayrischzell. The roads around the Schliersee and Tegernsee are quite nice to drive for the day. The Kochelsee and the Walchensee are also quite nice. The Walchensee is also famous because that is where the Germans hide the Nazi gold at the bottom of Germany's deepest lake. I really like the roads around this area. There are also a few private "toll" roads that only cost a few euros(2 or 3 euros) to drive on. Its quite fun.

On my next drive down to the Walchensee I want to check out this museum... "Walchensee-Kraftwerk". Its an electrical damm between the two lakes. Looks like fun.

And of course I would recommend everyone to take a coffee and cake break at the famous Café Winklstüberl located in (83730)Fischbachau.

Let me know if you need any more help planning your trip. The weather should be nice too because it feels like Spring is right around the corner soon.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #50
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I'm a little confused? You want to stay under 500kms right? And you don't want to drive the Bavarian Alps(like I did in my thread). ?
Why are you confused? I prefer to stay under 500KMs but I said that I don't mind to exceed this amount if it'll worth it. It's another 4 Euro for each additional KM.

Quote:
Can you give me a link to the route you want to drive?
Have you clicked on the link I have provided to the thread I have opened?
There are links to the routes I'm planning to drive to:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/04/...an-serpentine/

and

https://goo.gl/ODV7Lk

Quote:
The Romantic Road is a nice one. It's just I really prefer the area South-Eastern of Munich. Even driving into Austria is a blast - but I suspect you probably can't take your Ferrari rental outside of Germany(right)?
OK. That is why I have asked you . You know better than me as I only drove the B500 (Schwarzwaldstraße) 5 months ago. Except that I've never been in any other winding road around Europe.
As for taking it to Austria, I'm not sure yet. I might be able to do that.

Quote:
For me I really like driving in the Bad Tölz and Southern parts of Germany. What about driving the Tatzelwurmstraße ? It starts around Brannenburg - Bayrischzell. The roads around the Schliersee and Tegernsee are quite nice to drive for the day. The Kochelsee and the Walchensee are also quite nice. The Walchensee is also famous because that is where the Germans hide the Nazi gold at the bottom of Germany's deepest lake. I really like the roads around this area. There are also a few private "toll" roads that only cost a few euros(2 or 3 euros) to drive on. Its quite fun.
Saw your article about Tatzelwurmstraße. I think it is too much to drive from Munich for a 9 minutes winding road drive. Am I wrong? Does it worth it?

Quote:
On my next drive down to the Walchensee I want to check out this museum... "Walchensee-Kraftwerk". Its an electrical damm between the two lakes. Looks like fun.

And of course I would recommend everyone to take a coffee and cake break at the famous Café Winklstüberl located in (83730)Fischbachau.

Let me know if you need any more help planning your trip. The weather should be nice too because it feels like Spring is right around the corner soon.

Dackel
I'm less interested in sight seeing and more in driving but I sure am going to read your review about this drive as I'm planning to fly to Germany once every 6 months.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by kingikra; 03-01-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 05:33 PM   #51
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Why are you confused? I prefer to stay under 500KMs but I said that I don't mind to exceed this amount if it'll worth it. It's another 4 Euro for each additional KM.

Have you clicked on the link I have provided to the thread I have opened?
There are links to the routes I'm planning to drive to:
http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/04/...an-serpentine/

and

https://goo.gl/ODV7Lk

First link is dead. The second one works. Yes, that area is nice to drive. I've driven there often. But the first part of the drive is kind of boring until you get way out of the Munich proper area. But what can one do... every city has traffic. Once you travel down the B11 and into Icking - the views get better.

I would suggest driving this area...

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Sudel...0739!3e0?hl=en

I happen to think the A8 Autobahn around the Irschenberg area is quite an interesting Autobahn. The road seems to be a roller coaster here and the views are amazing. Just don't speed where those electronic road speed signs are... because they have cameras in them!

You could exit at Irschenberg and take the B472 road into Miesbach and then either down to Bayrischzell or Schliersee or Tegernsee. Bayrischzell makes more sense I think.

Quote:
Saw your article about Tatzelwurmstraße. I think it is too much to drive from Munich for a 9 minutes winding road drive. Am I wrong? Does it worth it?
I like the Tatzelwurmstraße. Its short but nice. Everyone I take there enjoys the drive. It goes from a very narrow tight road on the private "toll" side near Brannenburg, and then it dumps onto the wide, carving road - which everyone drives.

When I drive the Tatzelwurmstraße, I always like to start out is this small village of Brannenburg. Just past the intersection at the traffic light.(Sudelfeldstraße 11, 83098 Brannenburg) then it becomes a private toll road costing 4 euros, and then it dumps you onto the main Tatzelwurmstraße and then follow up to Bayrischzell. From there all the roads are nice.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Sudel...2016!3e0?hl=en

The roads around Bayrischzell are quite nice to drive. It's classic Bavaria there. Every summer they have a Bayrischzell Oldtimer Rally... so you know this area is nice!

Also another nice road to drive is down by Berchtesgaden, is the B305 and then the B999 Roßfeld-Höhenringstraße. You will cross into Austria and then back into Germany... but the only way you know other than seeing a few signs is that the road markers change from Germany mile markers to the Austria all white sticks. The road is very curvy and challenging/fun to drive. I give it highmarks to drive for an afternoon.

Berchtesgaden is very famous for the Eagle's Nest and other wartime landmarks in that area. The famous Zum Turken Hotel located(in Ober Salzburg, outside the city) with its creepy catacombs(tunnels) is also cool to visit. Not so much the hotel, though. But the roads around this area are quite nice to drive. Next door to the Zum Turken was where Hitler's home the Berg Hof use to stand before we bombed it. But the driveway is still there and you can walk off the road to see what's left of it. There is also a Museum on the Nazi's past history - just up the road. It's interesting IF you are into historical stuff.

Maybe driving a route like this would interest you... starting at around Bernau am Chiemsee and then down and around Berchtesgaden and the world famous Rossfeld Panorama Strasse.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Berna...!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Quote:
OK. That is why I have asked you You know better than me as I only drove the B500 (Schwarzwaldstraße) 5 months ago. Except that I've never been in any other winding road around Europe.
As for taking it to Austria, I'm not sure yet. I might be able to do that.

Well... I really love Southern Bayern and Austria. Like I have said before Kufstein(Austria) is quite nice. I often drive with friend's from Germany into Kufstein, takin the back roads...

Bayrischzell --> Kufstein
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Kufst...2016!3e0?hl=en

When driving back into Germany from Kufstein I always take the back roads... back into Germany. The refugee problem this last year has made the German's put up temporary border controls on the A93(sometimes). When they do... the traffic heading North into Germany will back up past Kufstein. So I always take this route...

Kufstein, Austria --> Oberaudorf --> Brannenburg
https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Kufst...2414!3e0?hl=en

Just past Kufstein in Wörgl is a really sweet hotel I am fond of: Hotel Schlossblick in Angerberg / Wörgl. The hotel is relatively renovated and the family that runs it are very friendly. The hotel is located in the country side and they have horses and a river that runs in front of the hotel. Cross country skiing is also available. The rooms are very fairly priced at under 100 euros per night that include a four course meal. I can't say enough nices things about this small hotel.

As you drive to the hotel you will pass Mariastein(a old castle) which the hotel has a view of - way down the road. You can continue driving from Mariastein down to Brandenberg(Austria) and that little mountain pass road is tons of fun! Hardly any traffic - a road to no where. But it is a nice little secret road that even Porsche and BMW test driver's know very well.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Maria...6621!3e0?hl=en

Another idea is to drive fr om Wiesing, Austria to Sylvensteinstausee, 83676 Jachenau (Germany) and then take the B307 or the B13. Jachenau(Walchensee - lake is also close by from here!).

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/6210+...7733!3e0?hl=en

Btw... in Oberaudorf is a great little restaurant called: Bernhard´s Stammhaus - Restaurant & Hotel. The food is a little pricy(by German standards, but not by American standards) but its worth it.
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Ber...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Just South West of Munich is Andechs Monastery. They have a really nice restaurant & beer garden there. And they have a very nice church - although I have never gone inside. lol I just enjoy driving around that area and sampling the delicious foods Andechs serves. It can make for a nice pit stop on a long back road drive. Andechs even has a restaurant in MarienPlatz in downtown Munich. I can recommend both places.

Andechs Monastery, Bergstraße, Andechs & the Ammersee...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/And....1828171?hl=en

Andechs Monastery, Bergstraße, Andechs
https://www.google.de/maps/place/And....1828171?hl=en

Quote:
I'm less interested in sight seeing and more in driving but I sure am going to read your review about this drive as I'm planning to fly to Germany once every 6 months.

Thanks a lot!
Cool, thanks. Well... everyone needs to stop every now and then while driving. I always enjoy sightseeing places off the beaten path.

Kochelsee... In this lake area is a nice old restaurant called: Seehotel Grauer Bär(the Grey Bear) - Restaurant - Café. I remember having a nice dinner there like 18 years ago... and near the bathrooms they had all these Grand Prix race car photos on the walls. Hans Stuck Senior drove on the Kesselbergstraße in the 1930's. This area has some nice roads leading from the two lakes. I can't imagine what it was like to drive a race car on those roads... back then, let alone today!

Name:  P1390243.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  144.6 KB
On the B11 road, near the Walchensee-Museum was where I took that photo of THE first (fatal)road car accident in Germany... in 1896!! It was on one of the hairpin turns over looking the lake. It was on our right hand side as we drove from the Walchensee to the Kochelsee - I believe. There was a rather large scenic overlook place to pull over on the side of the main road.

Ok, that's about all I can think of at the moment. I hope this gives you some ideas on where to drive. IF you ever do drive into Austria... I would highly recommend driving the Hahntennjoch Pass and the Timmelsjoch(aka Solden Pass).

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:12 PM   #52
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

First of all I really want to thank you for your time and patience. It is really appreciated!!

I have decided to change my second day's tour a bit to the following:
https://goo.gl/yiNJNc

I have removed some "no way out" roads to tegernsee and to tatzlwurm but except that, I'll do the whole road from Kloster Benediktbeuern to Sudelfeldstraße.

This trip is 275km.

I'm actually not into sight seeing but indeed in for good food (doesn't matter how much it costs. Believe me, where I come from, it's more expensive for sure). First I'm into a good pork hotdog but then a good restaurant will be perfect. I'll, sure, take your recommendations.

BTW, I know it is a bit childish but I really want to know which is the best autobahn outside of Munich that I'll have the best chance to drive as fast as possible. Just for a taste. Germany is the only place in the world where there's no speed limit and I'm not sure it'll stay like that forever. I've heard before that there were people that wanted to enforce speed limit on all roads.

As for the first day, If it'll be able to go to Austria, I have added the following trip:
https://goo.gl/LvJfYd

This one is 209km so I'm still inside the 500km range and according to your recommendations I'm covering some very good driving roads in these two trips.

BTW, thanks a lot for warning me about the speed cameras. As, unlike here, it is illegal to drive with laser detector or camera's warning utilities in Germany.

OK, I'll need to leave something for my next visit :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #53
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
First of all I really want to thank you for your time and patience. It is really appreciated!!
No problem, you are quite welcome.

Quote:
I have decided to change my second day's tour a bit to the following:
https://goo.gl/yiNJNc

I have removed some "no way out" roads to tegernsee and to tatzlwurm but except that, I'll do the whole road from Kloster Benediktbeuern to Sudelfeldstraße.

This trip is 275km.
Looks good. I think you will like that route.

Quote:
I'm actually not into sight seeing but indeed in for good food (doesn't matter how much it costs. Believe me, where I come from, it's more expensive for sure). First I'm into a good pork hotdog but then a good restaurant will be perfect. I'll, sure, take your recommendations.
Since you brought up hotdogs... Germany does indeed have hotdogs, but they aren't as good as the ones in the states. Its been rumored that the hotdog was invented by a butcher from Coburg(North Bayern), he then moved to Frankfurt - but then later immigrated to New York City. I guess that's why we someone call a hotdog a Frankfurt-er wurst or hotdog.

You should try to find some yummy "leberkäse" while your in Germay. Leberkase is neither liver(leber) nor chease(kase). It is a sort of processed salty pork meat. I love it! Some will eat it with mustard... but I prefer mine plain.

When(or IF ?) you are in downtown Munich... near the Marienplatz(Alt Rathaus, old city hall) around the corner is the famous Viktualienmarkt.

Viktualienmarkt is city market where you can find all sorts of delicious foods. There are also many outside beer gardens here. As you walk towards the white clock tower, turn RIGHT and you will be in the Viktualienmarkt.

As you round the corner... you will see a row or five or six old style butcher shops. In addition to fresh meat cuts... they also serve "food to go" called "Imbis" in Germany. Any one of these butcher shops(Metzgers) have awesome Leberkase. Of course you can find leberkase anywhere in Bayern... but I really enjoy a quite bite to go when I am in the Viktualienmarkt.

leberkäse
Name:  leberkaese    (1).jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  42.1 KB

leberkäse
Name:  leberkaese.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  Viktualienmarkt   Bavaria-Day-Tours-Beertour-Munich3_f1a9567721.jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  558.0 KB

Name:  Munich butcher   Butchers-at-the-Munich-Market.jpg
Views: 2327
Size:  134.9 KB

Name:  Munich Butchers signs-outside-a-butcher-shop-at-the-viktualienmarkt-munich-bavaria-b5ef2a.jpg
Views: 2150
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  Munich butcher  shop-meat-seller-m.jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  Munich butcher   _4_butcher-shop-meat-seller-m.jpg
Views: 2147
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  Marienplatz3279647691965_569965791_n.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  125.8 KB

Just to the RIGHT of this white clock tower(this is where the Munich toy museum is located at the tower) turn right and you will be in the Viktualienmarkt.
Name:  marienplatz-muenchen-53a6e2f0-0e73-41cd-8678-da9232db1509.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  142.6 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  17.2 KB

Name:  viktualienmarkt in muenchen.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  404.2 KB

Another great sitdown dish/food served in Germany is "Haxen". It is a roasted pig knuckle and its awesome with a big Mass of Bier(1 liter mug of beer!). Haxen is served all over mostly Southern Germany.

Near the famous Hofbrauhaus in downtown Munich is a small restaurant called: Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus, Sparkassenstraße 80331 München - their Haxen is always so mouth watering when I walk past it.

Name:  Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus  02.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  102.7 KB

Name:  Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus  01.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  Haxnbauer im Scholastikahaus .jpg
Views: 1971
Size:  412.3 KB

Munich Frühlingsfest
Name:  munich fruhlingsfest 97418.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  58.5 KB

Everyone knows of the Oktoberfest... but the Germans also have fests in the Springtime(Frühlings) time. In Munich its no different.

Frühlingsfest(or Volksfest) in Munich runs from April 21st until May 7th, 2017 On the Münchner Theresienwiese(same area where the famous Oktoberfest is held. I don't know when you will be here... but its just a thought.

typical German Fest Dogs...
Name:  Hot Dog germany munich-oktoberfest-a44gek.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  69.6 KB

Name:  Hot Dog  Germany IMG_1982.jpg
Views: 2145
Size:  114.6 KB

Name:  autobahn  488481ed-c2da-4771-9b35-cdd04fc08938.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  82.4 KB

Quote:
BTW, I know it is a bit childish but I really want to know which is the best autobahn outside of Munich that I'll have the best chance to drive as fast as possible. Just for a taste. Germany is the only place in the world where there's no speed limit and I'm not sure it'll stay like that forever. I've heard before that there were people that wanted to enforce speed limit on all roads.
No, not childish at all. I like to tease my German friends when I tell them in the USA we have our guns and you guys have your Autobahns!

The best Autobahn for some high speed runs is the A9 just out of Munich as you head to Ingolstadt and up until just before Nürnberg(not to be confused with the Nürburgring some 500kms on western Germany!). I'd say take a drive to Nürnberg and back. Driving from say Garching to Nürnberg at high speeds will only take about an hour or so.

The A9 is three lanes wide all the way to Nürnberg. It is a fast and rollercoaster like Autobahn. Its very safe and a fun Autobahn to drive. I even prefer driving this section at night - bc there isn't so much traffic as by day - and when you flash your highbeams(not really allowed but I do it from time to time to move slower cars out of the fast lane) people move out of your way!

Once you get out of Munich/Garching... the speed limit drops(free zone)...

The stretch from Allershausen to about Holledau is nice. Then the A9 splits with the A93... stay on the A9 direction Ingolstadt!!

Then the stretch from Lenting until Greding is another open(free) section - that is nice. Just before Greding as you go down the mountain(in Kinding) there is sometimes a camera setup on your left - but not always. Its in a 80 kph zone - so it shouldn't be a problem.

What I like about the Germans is they let you be in the free(unlimited sections) of the Autobahn, but when there is a 100 or 80 kph speed limit - they EXPECT you to drive that speed. Once you get past Greding until Ingolstadt - it is all open(free) Autobahn.

The following pictures of the A9 are all real, and of the stretch of the A9 that I so much love to drive - briskly. Most traffic drives around 200 kph... but its not uncommon for fast cars to be driving 250 to 320 kph here.

Autobahn A9 heading North, Garching is on the left...
Name:  Autobahn A9 heading North out of Munich   3569192477_0b658881dd.jpg
Views: 3012
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  Autobahn A9 heading North out of Munich   3.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  74.2 KB

Name:  Autobahn A9 heading North out of Munich   136000-004-AC29E627.jpg
Views: 2932
Size:  76.5 KB

Name:  autobahn ba 10854296_863867560324868_6385012210230856237_o.jpg
Views: 1901
Size:  63.9 KB

A little bit about German road signs...

Inside cities/villages the speed limit is 50kph. On a Bundesstrasse (yellow highway signs) the speed limit is 100 kph. On Autobahns the speed limit is 130 kph, but when you see an "end of restriction" sign, a sign with three diagonal lines - that means you can drive as fast as you like or feel safe at. Although the government recommends you drive at 130 kph... no one really does.

Name:  50  xxxxx    Autobahn   10407880_722650564444741_8820604463580413221_n.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  53.0 KB

End of Restrictions or speed limit on the Autobahn. Hammer down!
Name:  autobahn-end-of-restrictions-sign.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  83.5 KB

City/Town name/sign... also telling you the speed limit is now 50 kph!
Name:  12035995.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  108.2 KB

End of this city/town... but also end of the 50 kph speed limit. The limit is now 100 kph unless otherwise posted.
Name:  stvo311.gif
Views: 1621
Size:  1.8 KB

Name:  Autobahn NGyCJzQ.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  153.8 KB

Also.... No mater how fast you drive on the Autobahn... when you least expect it... there will be some fast MB/Audi/BMW wagon blowing past you at Warp-8!! So be mindful of not driving in the left lane too long. Basically IF driving more than 400 meters on the left lane is frowned upon(when there is no traffic).

We had not really discussed BMW points of interests... but the M HQ in Garching is kind of cool to drive by - even at night. During daytime hours... this place is a bee's nest of activities. One can often spot a new prototype M model being tested on the streets of Garching.

In our BMW hearts...
Name:  avatar208885_4.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  M GmbH HQ....1656374_10152574215731799_5422811298635035515_n.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  75.6 KB

BMW ///M GmbH
Daimlerstraße 19, 85748 Garching bei München

Name:  M GmbH HQ....10419421_10152574215891799_3047848725576673454_n.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  103.4 KB
and also behind ///M GmbH on Gutenbergstraße... at the dead end you can sometimes see some interesting test cars parked in the storage area.

https://www.google.de/maps/place/BMW....6222504?hl=en

I would also say go visit the Niederlassung in Munich just up the street from the Welt.

BMW Niederlassung, Frankfurter Ring 35, 80807 München

Name:  BMW Niederlassung München, Frankfurter Ring, Munich 17890.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  502.9 KB

Name:  BMW Niederlassung München 15621902_1457032991008132_4832039744089307051_n.jpg
Views: 1815
Size:  87.2 KB

BMW Lenbachplatz
Name:  BMW Lenbachplatz 7_600x338.jpg.resource.1457447567719.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  91.5 KB

Also when you are downtown near the Marienplatz, BMW has a mini welt called: Lenbachplatz near the main train station. Its small but cool to visit. Even if just at night peeking into the windows.

BMW Lenbachplatz, Lenbachpl. 7A, 80333 München

Quote:
As for the first day, If it'll be able to go to Austria, I have added the following trip:
https://goo.gl/LvJfYd

This one is 209km so I'm still inside the 500km range and according to your recommendations I'm covering some very good driving roads in these two trips.
That looks good too. I see I have warmed you up to Austria.

Quote:
BTW, thanks a lot for warning me about the speed cameras. As, unlike here, it is illegal to drive with laser detector or camera's warning utilities in Germany.
Yeah... the Germans have cameras everywhere... that is partly why German is so orderly... bc people know IF they do something bad... they will be caught and have to pay & pay! lol

I wouldn't worry too much about speed cameras(btw the Germans call them Blitzers, as it FLASH!)... when you speed past one... you will see a RED flash! But in some of the brand new tunnels in Munich... you don't even see a flash! The new units are quite stealth. Also the silver "poles" are quite deadly bc they are not only speed cameras but they also can monitor tailgating - even in the city. There is one of these camera "poles" where BMW Classic new home is just up the street from the Welt.

Take note of these digital speed limit signs... see those double windows under the digital sign... that is the window box for a mobile camera to slip into. When you see the window is dark red... there is a camera inside. One side has the camera and the other lens has the red flash/blitzer...
Name:  Autobahn speed signs 475193424_a46a6e061d.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  73.2 KB

The most common form of speed enforcement in Germany. All the mini van's windows have dark tint... except for the rear glass with the camera behind. When ever you see a small van or VW Transporter... take heed!
Name:  Blitz-1260.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  139.2 KB

Tail gating mobile cameras... the blue/green van is the Polizei. They setup these cameras on the Autobahn bridges and the left lane has a bar code etched into the road or white lines painted on the road surface. They use two video cameras from above with one video & still camera bellow to get the driver's picture.
Name:  Blitzer BA A73 direction Nurnberg Hirschaid Bridge_9.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  Blitzer BA A73 direction Nurnberg Hirschaid Bridge_8.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  125.0 KB

Name:  blitzer  Tempo_Kontrolle.jpg.2237475.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  blitzer-radarfalle-starenkasten.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  18.3 KB

Germany's new SuperBlitzer... able to measure speed across three lanes of road, can take four pics per second and also measure tail gating and red light runners.
Name:  Blitzer 29dFx.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  64.4 KB

IF you'd like to see more of German Blitzer's... have a look at this thread..

Achtung! Polizei...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7053631

trucker maut/toll... this is NOT a Blitzer. Some people think they are, but it isn't. Its only to check the truckers for the on-board electronic toll payment system. They pay ~0.20 per km in tolls in DE.
Name:  Maut Bruecke  08tolls-pic-superJumbo.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  122.1 KB

Quote:
OK, I'll need to leave something for my next visit :-)
Yep. Because no matter how well you plan... you will forget to go somewhere or some place will be closed. Just remain flexible and enjoy your visit.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 01:28 PM   #54
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Again, an extraordinary useful information!

Then, again, I'll be there from April 9th night till April 12th evening. Not too much to see whatever you've suggested here.

On the 12th, I might be able to visit the market and eat this delicious looking pork :-)

Your explanation about speeding cameras and traffic signs is priceless. When I was in Frankfurt, half a year ago, I remember that it was a big issue not knowing where can I drive fast on the autobahn. On top of that, I have no idea how dangerous it is (police wise) to go fast in the twisty roads. I took some chances because I wanted to enjoy :-)

I'm not sure I'll have time and extra KMs to drive on the A9 but I might exceed the amount of 500KMs for that matter.

As for BMW brand, I'm here for you ha ha ha. Not because I'm a fan of BMW. I like all kinds of cars including BMW. Here I own a Cadillac ATS-V which is one of the deadly rivals of the M3. I'm sure they are both great cars!!

Thanks
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      03-06-2017, 03:08 PM   #55
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Again, an extraordinary useful information!

Then, again, I'll be there from April 9th night till April 12th evening. Not too much to see whatever you've suggested here.

On the 12th, I might be able to visit the market and eat this delicious looking pork :-)
Great!

I found a listing of Volksfests for the Spring time(Frühlingsfest)... maybe you can use it for your next visit to DE.

http://www.ganz-muenchen.de/volksfes...ste_index.html

There is a Frühlingsfest in Nürnberg from April 15th until May 1st, 2017. The Nürnberg is one of the rather large fests held next door to the Nazi Congress Hall.

Frühlingsfest in Nürnberg held here...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Vol...d11.1097?hl=en

Stuttgarter Frühlingsfest from April 15th until May 7th, 2017
http://stuttgarter-fruehlingsfest.de/de/home/

The Stuttgart Fest held in Bad Cannstatt(near the MB Museum) is a rather large fest. I'd say any of these three fests would be worth while to visit while visiting Germany. But each region has it's own fest.

Quote:
Your explanation about speeding cameras and traffic signs is priceless. When I was in Frankfurt, half a year ago, I remember that it was a big issue not knowing where can I drive fast on the autobahn. On top of that, I have no idea how dangerous it is (police wise) to go fast in the twisty roads. I took some chances because I wanted to enjoy :-)
The Germans are pretty relaxed about speeding fines. The fines are higher for speeding inside the city limits.

Going thru a red light(~400 euros) or speeding in a construction zone on the Autobahn will cost you too.

Basically don't speed on the Autobahn in construction zones or when the Auto intersects with another Autobahn or on a bridge or tunnel with a speed limit of 100 or 80 kph. This is where the cameras are! Also... IF the speed limit ever goes down to 60 kph on the Autobahn... for sure there are cameras out!

The Autobahn polizei(they have normal looking cars with big engines) are looking for the BIG fish(people going more than +40 kph over the limit)... usually they leave everyone alone for small infractions. I usually drive no more than 20 kph over the limit... when on the Autobahn. But there are some areas where I drive the limit... bc I know they are the "hot spots" that they like to setup cameras.

Also... even though it's illegal(just recently, now) I have all the photo radar locations(POI) on my Navi(GPS) installed. Also my Navi has TMC(Traffic Management Channel) which detects Stau's(traffic jams) and accidents AND radar locations. Also IF you listen to the radio... the radio stations will broadcast WHERE the radar(Blitzer's) are. They will just say: "Blitzer" auf der A8... blahh blahh and the city or exit(Ausfahrt).

Here is a chart of the fines for speeding in Germany...
https://www.bussgeldkatalog.org/gesc...berschreitung/

Fines: Outside the city roads/Bundesstrasse or on Autobahn...

up to +10 kph... 10 €
…11 to 15 km/h 20 €
…16 to 20 km/h 30 €
…21 to 25 km/h 70 € 1 point on your driver's lic
…26 to 30 km/h 80 € 1 point, +one month you loose your lic
…31 to 40 km/h 120 € 1 point, +one month you loose your lic
…41 to 50 km/h 160 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
…51 - 60 km/h 240 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
…61 - 70 km/h 440 € 2 points, +Two month you loose your lic
über +70 km/h 600 € 2 points, +Three month you loose your lic

Fines for speeding INSIDE the city or yellow town signs...

up to.. +10 km/h 15 €
...11 to 15 km/h 25 €
...16 to 20 km/h 35 €
...21 to 25 km/h 80 € 1 point on your driver's lic
...26 to 30 km/h 100 € 1 point on your driver's lic
...31 to 40 km/h 160 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
...41 to 50 km/h 200 € 2 points, +one month you loose your lic
...51 to 60 km/h 280 € 2 points, +two months you loose your lic
...61 to 70 km/h 480 € 2 points, +three months you loose your lic
..über 70 km/h 680 € 2 points, +three months you loose your lic

As you can see... speeding in Germany is relatively cheap compared to some other draconian countries like the Netherlands or Switzerland. In Switzerland just going a few kph over their 120 Autobahn limit can cost you a few hundred euros. And anything faster than +40 kph, the Swiss can and will take your car!

The big thing that is a big No, NO on the Autobahn is to pass on the right. This is frowned on.

Btw... NO Right Turn on RED in Germany!!

Name:  right on red - after stopping   gruen-pfeil.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  11.4 KB
It's only in some large cities will you see a green right turn light or a metal green arrow at the light. On lights with the metal green arrow, you CAN turn right only AFTER coming to a stop! But even most German's don't understand this, and run the light. lol

IF the traffic light has a green lit arrow... you can only turn right when its lit/on!

Quote:
I'm not sure I'll have time and extra KMs to drive on the A9 but I might exceed the amount of 500KMs for that matter.
Well... your drive on the A8 and A93 has some fast areas too. Its just the A9 is my racetrack. It is a very fast Autobahn.

You could just drive the A9 from Garching/Eching until Holledau, then turn back to Munich. The Allershausen area is quite good for some high speed runs ~250. It's just further up North... the road is really straight and fast! You can safely travel at 300 kph up there.

Since you mentioned the Frankfurt area... Here are a few nice Autobahn areas... The A3 from Frankfurt(Offenbach) heading to Aschaffenburg is quite nice now. All new three lanes of Autobahn. Then once you get past Aschaffenburg(and their tunnels) the drive from Aschaffenburg to Würzburg is a good stretch.

Also when in Frankfurt the A5 heading South to Heidelberg & Hockenheim is a nice Autobahn. But I have not driven there in a few years... and the last time I was there - they had the Autobahn all torn apart!

Bernd Rosemeyer Memorial...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Ber....6027026?hl=en

On the A5 heading South... just before the Mörfelden-Walldorf exit is a small rest area. Most people pay no attention to it. This was the place where Bernd Rosemeyer att around 11am, on January 28th, 1938, crashed his Auto Union rekord car on the A5 Autobahn. I think he was driving in excess of 440 kph when he lost control of the car. Some say the car blew apart from the aerodynamics. It's a cool place to go visit.

Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn…
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411715

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3423.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3386.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  203.2 KB

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3394.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  105.3 KB

Name:  Bernd Rosemeyer Denkmal Restplatz on the A5 Autobahn IMG_3651.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  97.5 KB

This part of the A5 was used by the Nazi's for high speed record runs in the late thirties. It was mainly a battle between AutoUnion(Audi, run by Ferdinand Porsche) and Mercedes Benz.

BMW also raced here on the A5... but in only in the motorcycle class. Ernst Henne drove 280 kph(!)here.

Here is Henne's motorcycle as seen in the BMW Museum in Munich.
Name:  IMG_3811.jpg
Views: 1830
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3808.jpg
Views: 1917
Size:  168.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3816.jpg
Views: 1854
Size:  135.4 KB

Another interesting car place in the Frankfurt area is Klassikstadt.

Dackel’s tour of Klassikstadt: Frankfurt, Germany…
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=636805

Quote:
As for BMW brand, I'm here for you ha ha ha. Not because I'm a fan of BMW. I like all kinds of cars including BMW. Here I own a Cadillac ATS-V which is one of the deadly rivals of the M3. I'm sure they are both great cars!!

Thanks

Do you know you can rent most any BMW at the BMW Welt thru the "BMW on Demand" program. Most of the cars start at around 35 euros per hour and go up too 100 euros. They have M cars and even i-brand cars and e-scooters. When you rent for four hours... you get to keep the car over night. BMW even charges you for the fuel... so no need to top up the tank when you return it. The program is quite cool. Of course you can also rent nice cars from Sixt or Europcar. In the Neiderlassung(factory run BMW dealer up the street from the Welt) there is a SIXT rental place downstairs next to where the Individual cars are on display.

https://portal.bmw-on-demand.de/inde...display#modell

Fast cars are additive. Recent BMW's have gotten softer while the competition has gained ground on them. I think its cool your into BMW's and the history over here.

Enjoy your trip!
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #56
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Speeding up in Autobahns or city is out of the equation. I do not know the roads well inside the city and why should I pass the speed limit in autobahns when in most of them there is no speed limit? Unlike here that I have to take risks because most of the highways are 90-100 kph of max speed, I'm not going to that on the autobahn in Germany :-)

My main concerns are the twisty roads in Kesselberg and on the way to Kufstein.

I might be able to go up to Allershausen on the A9.

As for the A5, I drove on it till Baden Baden last time and couldn't pass the 260 kph mark (with a Nissan GT-R) as there were lots of constructions and traffic and lots of speed restrictions along the way (maybe they were only suggestion as you explained now). I had a nice "race" with a tuned BMW z4 near Baden Baden. we had a few runs from 100 to 250 and it was quite hard for me the get away and my GT-R was tuned a bit as well.

Sure I'll have fun now

Thanks

Last edited by kingikra; 03-07-2017 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #57
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

kingikra yeah... the A5 wouldn't be my first choice for fast driving... since there is so much traffic around those large cities there.

Like I have said before... the A9 Autobahn is my first choice for fast driving. The sections from Munich to Ingolstadt and then to Nuremberg are the best places to go really fast. Really that section from Nuremberg to Greding is the best place. But that whole stretch of Autobahn is really nice and straight(for the most part) and safe to drive fast.

I think when you drive from Munich to Nuremberg, there are only four (short stretches)places where there is a 120 kph speed limit in: Greding, Ingolstadt and then just before Nuremberg.

Quote:
I might be able to go up to Allershausen on the A9.
I hope you do! I have to make a video of my drive on the A9... I am surprised that hardly no one has a good video showing how nice this autobahn is for fast driving. I did find this one though...

All German Autobahns have a speed limit of 130 kph(even when not posted) unless you see a "unlimited" free zone sign...

end of speed restrictions...
Name:  autobahn-end-of-restrictions-sign.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  83.5 KB

Even though this signs means you can drive as fast as you want... or as fast as conditions allow(ie: rain, snow, fog)... the German government still recommends that you drive 130 kph. But no one does that(or very few do). Most drive from 160 to 190 kph. And then some drive in the >200+kph range. It's the people driving the small eco cars(less than 50 PS, high fuel eco cars) or cars from other countries like NL or Eastern Block countries that one has to be on the look out for. Those are the guys who pull out in front of you when your driving very fast and you have to brake very hard to avoid them. Not fun.

The Germans have a funny law that says once you drive faster than 130 kph... IF you get into an accident.. you "might be" held at partial or fully at fault. That's why you see people is really small cheap cars driving close to 130 kph.. while more experienced and faster cars driving over >200+ kph.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #58
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Indeed looks much better than the A5. On the A5, I saw many sings like this one:

There were a few KMs between these signs. How can I know when this speed limit ends? Only when I see the sign with the three diagonal lines? Don't remember seeing it although I probably wasn't looking.

You still hadn't told me how dangerous it is to go fast in the twisty roads? That's the most important thing

On my first day I'm planning to eat at the Bernhard´s Stammhaus restaurant. Read that it's approximately 43 euros per person. Meaning less then average for a good restaurant here.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #59
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Indeed looks much better than the A5. On the A5, I saw many sings like this one:

There were a few KMs between these signs. How can I know when this speed limit ends? Only when I see the sign with the three diagonal lines? Don't remember seeing it although I probably wasn't looking.
Yes, normally on the Autobahn you will see the sign with the three diagonal lines - meaning end of restrictions or controls. You also might sometimes see this sign after a construction zone which also means, end of speed limits. IF you see this sign on a back road, say on a Bundesstrasse in a construction zone... this sign means its the end of the construction zone... and the speed limit reverts back to limit for this road type. Bunsdesstrasse(yellow street signs, as opposed to blue Autobahn signs) have a max speed limit of 100 kph.

The A5 is located in the state of Hessen(mostly) and there are so many ppl/cars there... its rare you get to drive in a unrestricted zone of Autobahn.

I think Bavaria(Bayern) has the most Autobahns with no speed limits.

Quote:
You still hadn't told me how dangerous it is to go fast in the twisty roads? That's the most important thing
Really nice twisty roads will have extra armco guardrails like this to prevent motorcycles from going under the guardrails. THEN you know your on a good twisty road!
Name:  motorrad sicherheit unterfahrschutz2-98764ff0.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  15.1 KB

Name:  motorrad  samerberg zYSG.jpg
Views: 2007
Size:  35.5 KB

Seriously though... most good twisty roads do have these extra guardrail barriers... but even still... you have to drive with some common sense.

On that one back road(Tiroler Strasse) leading into Kufstein from Bayrischzell, Germany until Thiersee, Austria... the cops do hide sometimes in the woods with a laser gun. You just have to be looking for them. I usually don't drive too fast near the borders... bc you are more likely to encounter some sort of Polizei. And when they stop you like that... you have to pay on the spot(!) usually in cash - although more polizei now a days do take credit cards.

Actually in Germany/Austria... its best to carry some cash... bc not everywhere can you pay with a credit cards.

The roads you will be driving are quite safe for spirited driving. These are the roads that me and my buddies drive in the Spring and Summer months.

Quote:
On my first day I'm planning to eat at the Bernhard´s Stammhaus restaurant. Read that it's approximately 43 euros per person. Meaning less then average for a good restaurant here.
Yeah... Bernhard's is a nice small charming place. But like I said its kind of pricey by German/Austrian standards. Its nice to splurge though. At most restaurants you will pay about 15 to 22 euros per person. Most drinks beer's/sodas will run about three to four euros.

Also... Bernhard's opens mostly for the evenings I think. At least that's always when I have visited them.

The Tirolerhof in Kufstein is another nice place to go for lunch or dinner. My Austrian friend says that the Tirolerhof has the best schnitzel this side of Vienna! It's not as pricy as Bernhard's, but the food is just as good!

Hotel-Gourmetwirtshaus Tiroler Hof Kufstein, Am Rain 16, 6330 Kufstein, Austria

Also when it comes to dining out in Germany/Austria... you don't really need to tip much(like in the states). The restaurant dinner bill includes the 9% VAT tax plus it also includes a 16% server tip for the services. So normally you just round up a few(three to five) euros for the tip. IF the service was really exceptional... round up a few more euros. But not ten to twenty percent, like in the USA.

Quote:
Thanks
No problem. IF you have any more questions just let me know.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #60
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think Bavaria(Bayern) has the most Autobahns with no speed limits.
These are good news :-)

Quote:
Seriously though... most good twisty roads do have these extra guardrail barriers... but even still... you have to drive with some common sense.
I'm not driving like crazy. Especially when I'm abroad on roads and rules that I don't know enough. Especially not with a 458

Quote:
On that one back road(Tiroler Strasse) leading into Kufstein from Bayrischzell, Germany until Thiersee, Austria... the cops do hide sometimes in the woods with a laser gun. You just have to be looking for them. I usually don't drive too fast near the borders... bc you are more likely to encounter some sort of Polizei. And when they stop you like that... you have to pay on the spot(!) usually in cash - although more polizei now a days do take credit cards.
These are really bad news
I don't mind to pay for the ticket but have no idea what will they do if they'll catch me for 70 KPH over the limit (This can happen easily).

Quote:
Actually in Germany/Austria... its best to carry some cash... bc not everywhere can you pay with a credit cards.
Thanks for the tip

Quote:
The roads you will be driving are quite safe for spirited driving. These are the roads that me and my buddies drive in the Spring and Summer months.
Hopefully I'll end this trip safe (police wise I mean).

Quote:
Yeah... Bernhard's is a nice small charming place. But like I said its kind of pricey by German/Austrian standards. Its nice to splurge though. At most restaurants you will pay about 15 to 22 euros per person. Most drinks beer's/sodas will run about three to four euros.

Also... Bernhard's opens mostly for the evenings I think. At least that's always when I have visited them.
I'm not planing to eat there every day . Just once and for once it does not count as expensive for what I'm used to here.
As for opening hours, it'll be great if you'll help me find the opening hours. I have found the following link which states that it is indeed opening in the evening but also during noon from 12:00 to 14:00 which might be a problematic time window for me. I still need to figure out which direction should I take in my first day's trip. Anyhow I'll use the Kufstein restaurant as a backup

Quote:
Also when it comes to dining out in Germany/Austria... you don't really need to tip much(like in the states). The restaurant dinner bill includes the 9% VAT tax plus it also includes a 16% server tip for the services. So normally you just round up a few(three to five) euros for the tip. IF the service was really exceptional... round up a few more euros. But not ten to twenty percent, like in the USA.
Is that an order or a suggestion Now seriously, I actually like to tip and here it's very common but if you'll tell me that I'm "breaking the ethical rules of German tiping", I'll consider and leave as you suggested.

One more very important question if I may, how's the duty-free shop at Munich Airport? I'm looking for 1 liter bottles of whisky. Do you know if they're available? At my country they stopped selling them. Only 700ml.

Last edited by kingikra; 03-09-2017 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #61
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:

I'm not planing to eat there every day . Just once and for once it does not count as expensive for what I'm used to here.
As for opening hours, it'll be great if you'll help me find the opening hours. I have found the following link which states that it is indeed opening in the evening but also during noon from 12:00 to 14:00 which might be a problematic time window for me. I still need to figure out which direction should I take in my first day's trip. Anyhow I'll use the Kufstein restaurant as a backup

Bernhard's in Oberaudorf

Open: Monday thru Sunday from...

12:00 Uhr - 14:00 Uhr
And then from 18:00 Uhr - 22:00 Uhr

Thursday's Ruhetag = Closed on Thursdays.

Quote:
Is that an order or a suggestion Now seriously, I actually like to tip and here it's very common but if you'll tell me that I'm "breaking the ethical rules of German tiping", I'll consider and leave as you suggested.
Perhaps at a nice restaurant you can tip more like in the USA. But for most restaurants in Germany/Austria... it's quite normal just to round up the bill a few euros. For example if the bill comes to 42 euros... I would leave 45 euros. This is a normal good tip. There are quite a number of Germans who don't even leave a tip!

Also... when you are at any restaurant or cafe... don't feel like you need to rush. The servers are quite ok with the customers sitting there for hours and hours. It's more relaxed, slower paced here. As long as you are ordering... and talking... the server will not bother your nor try to make you leave or buy something else. This is a European way/thing.

Quote:
One more very important question if I may, how's the duty-free shop at Munich Airport? I'm looking for 1 liter bottles of whisky. Do you know if they're available? At my country they stopped selling them. Only 700ml.
I've never really been in there! lol But I can say that most bottles of liquor are of the 0.7 liter size over here.

I did a quick search on Amazon.de... maybe you could have it delivered to your hotel before you arrive. ?
https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=whisky

Most every German grocery stores sell liquor & wine. IF you see a EDEKA or REWE or REAL grocery store... You could pop in and check. In Austria I would stop at a SPAR Markt or a M.PREIS grocery store.

In Kufstein(A) there is a really nice Interspar grocery store - its one of the nicest grocery stores I have ever been in, over here.

Interspar
Karl-Ganzer-Straße 1,
6330 Kufstein, Austria

In Munich behind the Marienplatz, there is the world famous Dallmayr store. They are famous for good coffee and cigars. Maybe they would have some whisky ? Actually that whole street has some very interesting high end stores. Porsche Design, and this cray store called: Manufactum Warenhaus - which is kind of a cross between a bakery & cheese shop and the Sharper Image store. Its always fin to walk around inside. But no whisky.

Dallmayr
Dienerstraße 15,
80331 München

I also found this liquor store on Google Maps... its just down the same street as those Butcher shops...

Whisk(e)y Shop tara
Rindermarkt 16,
80331 München

IF you go to Garching to see BMW ///M HQ's... across the street is a pretty nice EDEKA grocery store that has a decent selection of liquors.

EDEKA Ernst Garching
Parkring 37,
85748 Garching bei München

Stores in Bayern and Austria are open from 8am until 8pm Monday thru Saturday. Sundays everything is closed. Except for tourist spots or gas stations. And gas stations are always open on the Autobahn: 24/7.

Btw... there is a really good book on the differences between German and American cultures, like tipping, etc... I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the German/Austrian/Swiss cultures.
Name:  The German Way   book    51OiQzfOsLL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  44.9 KB

The German Way : Aspects of Behavior, Attitudes, and Customs in the German-Speaking World, by Hyde Flippo (Author)
https://www.amazon.com/German-Way-Be...+German+way%27

take care,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #62
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

kingikra I asked some of my German friend's living down in the Munich area on Whisky shops... here are two really good places to visit - so they told me! They are located (way)outside of the city...

Bavarian made Whisky Near Schliersee (lake)

Slyrs Destillerie GmbH & Co. KG
Bayrischzeller Str. 13,
83727 Schliersee

www.slyrs.com

and this shop which has over 100, one liter whiskey bottles... down by the Starnbergersee(Sternberger lake)

Whisky.de GmbH & Co. KG
Am Grundwassersee 4
82402 Seeshaupt

http://www.whisky.de/shop/index.php?...vendor=&sorte=

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #63
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bernhard's in Oberaudorf

Open: Monday thru Sunday from...

12:00 Uhr - 14:00 Uhr
And then from 18:00 Uhr - 22:00 Uhr

Thursday's Ruhetag = Closed on Thursdays.
Thanks for that!

Quote:
Perhaps at a nice restaurant you can tip more like in the USA. But for most restaurants in Germany/Austria... it's quite normal just to round up the bill a few euros. For example if the bill comes to 42 euros... I would leave 45 euros. This is a normal good tip. There are quite a number of Germans who don't even leave a tip!
Will do!

Quote:
Also... when you are at any restaurant or cafe... don't feel like you need to rush. The servers are quite ok with the customers sitting there for hours and hours. It's more relaxed, slower paced here. As long as you are ordering... and talking... the server will not bother your nor try to make you leave or buy something else. This is a European way/thing.
I come from a different culture and that is OK. If you'll think of that, if restaurant/cafe will ask you to leave if you sit too much time without ordering, you'll say that they are rude. On the other hand, think of the restaurant/cafe that "looses" money of another customer while you're sitting there.
Don't get me wrong, I respect each culture and its traditions but just for a thought...

Quote:
I've never really been in there! lol But I can say that most bottles of liquor are of the 0.7 liter size over here.

I did a quick search on Amazon.de... maybe you could have it delivered to your hotel before you arrive. ?
https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eywords=whisky

Most every German grocery stores sell liquor & wine. IF you see a EDEKA or REWE or REAL grocery store... You could pop in and check. In Austria I would stop at a SPAR Markt or a M.PREIS grocery store.

In Kufstein(A) there is a really nice Interspar grocery store - its one of the nicest grocery stores I have ever been in, over here.

Interspar
Karl-Ganzer-Straße 1,
6330 Kufstein, Austria

In Munich behind the Marienplatz, there is the world famous Dallmayr store. They are famous for good coffee and cigars. Maybe they would have some whisky ? Actually that whole street has some very interesting high end stores. Porsche Design, and this cray store called: Manufactum Warenhaus - which is kind of a cross between a bakery & cheese shop and the Sharper Image store. Its always fin to walk around inside. But no whisky.

Dallmayr
Dienerstraße 15,
80331 München

I also found this liquor store on Google Maps... its just down the same street as those Butcher shops...

Whisk(e)y Shop tara
Rindermarkt 16,
80331 München

IF you go to Garching to see BMW ///M HQ's... across the street is a pretty nice EDEKA grocery store that has a decent selection of liquors.

EDEKA Ernst Garching
Parkring 37,
85748 Garching bei München
Thanks for the info!

One more thing, on my last day I'm planing a bit of shopping (clothes).
I searched the web a bit and found the following mall near my hotel:
http://pasing-arcaden.de/

I'm not actually looking for the cheapest places. A nice place to be in is good enough and as close as can be to my hotel.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #64
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow Shopping...

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

One more thing, on my last day I'm planing a bit of shopping (clothes).
I searched the web a bit and found the following mall near my hotel:
http://pasing-arcaden.de/

I'm not actually looking for the cheapest places. A nice place to be in is good enough and as close as can be to my hotel.

Thanks

That Passing Arcade(Mall) looks nice. It just opened on March 4th. Btw they are open from 09:30 until 20:00 Monday thru Saturday. They are closed on Sundays. I've never been there... so I really can't say. Most of these malls are small(by American standards) and cater more to everyday (mid level, type)stuff, not really like a Macy's or Neiman Marcus level. There is a C&A in there... so I'd say it's not bad. Its just not a fancy type store(s).

For really nice mens clothes... in downtown Munich, I would suggest these places... Especially the stores up and behind the Marienplatz area. You could take the S-Bahn into the city: Marienplatz stop.

GALERIA Kaufhof München Marienplatz (large dept store)
Kaufingerstraße 1-5,
80331 München

www.galeria-kaufhof.de

Hirmer München (really nice mens clothes!!)
Kaufingerstraße 28,
80331 München

www.hirmer.de

Marc O'Polo (all the stores around this area are quite nice & of the highend type/class)
FÜNF HÖFE, Theatinerstraße 11,
80333 München

www.de.marc-o-polo.com

Bottega Veneta (really a high end store)
Oberpollinger, Neuhauser Str. 18,
80331 München

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/de/unis...ction_grd30382

BOSS Store
Maximilianstraße 21,
80539 München

www.hugoboss.com

I thought I'd throw in this place... its kind of a cross between a perfume store and a Tower Records(on the top floor)... its weird but interesting to look around...

LUDWIG BECK
Marienplatz 11,
80331 München

www.ludwigbeck.de

I would say for you to walk around this area up behind the Marienplatz... I'm sure you will find something that catches your (fashion)eye.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Tiffa...0414!3e2?hl=en

After that long walk... Go to the Brenner Grill for some nice cocktails or a nice meal.

Brenner Operngrill
Maximilianstraße 15,
80539 München

www.brennergrill.de
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 12:02 PM   #65
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

These are some great suggestions.
I think I'll take a taxi on my last day to the Marienplatz and there I'll go in the path you have drawn.

Will sure report back when I'll be back!!

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      04-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #66
kingikra
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hello again,

Just landed last night. Still working on processing the videos.
As I said, haven't used most of your recommendations due to lack of time. The most annoying unused recommendation was the Bernhard´s Stammhaus - Restaurant which apparently wasn't open on Monday although it was stated on their site. I have realized it in the day I flew to Munich but it was not possible to change the trips' days because of the weather (On Tuesday the weather forecast was rain in Kufstein and no rain in Kesselberg.
Another thing I have discovered a week before flying is the fact that the 458 got broken so I couldn't get. The below is teaser video for what I have rented instead:

Appreciate 0