ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-22-2020, 09:56 PM   #67
ineedae46m3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSM3 View Post
I was offered by BMW FS $5,500 off as a Customer Purchase Disct. on my 2018 F80 with comp and exec packages. Makes it pretty darn good deal in my mind. Car only has 13k miles. Question should I do anything on the warranty front, try to extend, purchase after market, etc.? I tend to not believe in purchasing warranties but thought I would ask.
Did they contact you? Or did you call and ask them? How much time is left on the lease? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #68
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSM3 View Post
I was offered by BMW FS $5,500 off as a Customer Purchase Disct. on my 2018 F80 with comp and exec packages. Makes it pretty darn good deal in my mind. Car only has 13k miles. Question should I do anything on the warranty front, try to extend, purchase after market, etc.? I tend to not believe in purchasing warranties but thought I would ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedae46m3 View Post
Did they contact you? Or did you call and ask them? How much time is left on the lease? Thanks!
I called them and they offered $3k on my 440i. But I also saw that it is a part of the payoff quote online, so you may not need to call to see what discount they're offering. Just go to your BMW account and download the payoff quote to see the numbers.

I have a month left.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #69
GregSM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedae46m3 View Post
I was following this thread and in the buy out docs it lists the disct. I have ~45 days left on lease. Strangely they did not contact me re the disct. only that my lease was about up. Kind of poor marketing, I would say.
Appreciate 1
kern4174431.50
      02-15-2021, 05:37 PM   #70
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible (JZB)

Curious if this is still going on for anyone else? We're at the end of our F30 lease but cannot get anyone to deal and have not seen anything in the online portal that indicates any type of deal is available.
Past (6MT) 2007 E92 SG - 2007 E92 MB - 2014 F30 335xi EB II
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #71
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Curious if this is still going on for anyone else? We're at the end of our F30 lease but cannot get anyone to deal and have not seen anything in the online portal that indicates any type of deal is available.
Not a chance - with used cars in short supply, I think BMW regretted even doing it in the first place. They want your car back - they need the inventory.

My dealer (who is a friend of mine) has repeatedly asked if I will sell him my car (at a terrible price mind you) and when I say "why do you want a 2018 M3?" he is like - we need the inventory - I have nothing to sell.

Last I chatted with him, it was getting better, but I don't think you sill see lease buyout deals return unless things get worse again - and as we saw, things getting worse - meant that things got better for car sales. I don't get it!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #72
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Not a chance - with used cars in short supply, I think BMW regretted even doing it in the first place. They want your car back - they need the inventory.
I don't get it either - what sucks is that the price is many thousands above what they are selling comparable cars for, so even a slight discount would make us feel... less taken advantage of - for wanting to keep our car. Not to mention they'd still make more than it being on the lot. It seems to be part of a bigger trend as they have forbidden dealers to make a deal now too which seems borderline illegal (price fixing?).

If they wanted us (and many others) to get another lease they should have not beat the new designs with the ugly stick, and then also remove the manual on top of that. Sometimes it feels like they have forgotten their original audience. We were able to swing a new 340, but not a new M (and leasing an M2 is still stupid expensive).

The brand focus has shifted more toward people like my friend who complains about the lack of manuals, but then gladly leased multiple F30s with the auto, and now an X3M, only to complain about the ride and other things I said wouldn't suit him beforehand.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2021, 11:44 AM   #73
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't get it either - what sucks is that the price is many thousands above what they are selling comparable cars for, so even a slight discount would make us feel... less taken advantage of - for wanting to keep our car. Not to mention they'd still make more than it being on the lot. It seems to be part of a bigger trend as they have forbidden dealers to make a deal now too which seems borderline illegal (price fixing?).

If they wanted us (and many others) to get another lease they should have not beat the new designs with the ugly stick, and then also remove the manual on top of that. Sometimes it feels like they have forgotten their original audience. We were able to swing a new 340, but not a new M (and leasing an M2 is still stupid expensive).

The brand focus has shifted more toward people like my friend who complains about the lack of manuals, but then gladly leased multiple F30s with the auto, and now an X3M, only to complain about the ride and other things I said wouldn't suit him beforehand.
I think a couple of things are at play
1. By allowing people to buy out their leased cars, below contract value, it devalues the lease - ultimately it means BMW messed up on their guess for the residual. And then that starts to build - and it becomes knowledge that you can lease a car and then buy it out even cheaper at the end than the contracted value and then residuals fall and... well BMW starts to lose money on leases.

2. Per my dealer, a few years ago, BMW decided they had had enough of this mess and stopped playing games. The multiple MSD, the low money factors, the aggressive pricing (even allowing dealers to show the car with a discount on their website) was going to start ending. Once again, if they stop it completely either they make more money or people go elsewhere. I think they have made more money. And wow, it sure does cost a lot more to lease a car nowadays.... and ... off the record... someone getting a M3cs dirt cheap vs. someone paying full price... I wonder who takes better care of the car? Just an interesting thought.

3. You are correct, nobody should ever lease a M2. It makes no financial sense - even if you own a business (God, I hate that comment, it just shows that people don't understand how the write-offs work - and the concept to pay signifiantly more "just in case I get into an accident and the car ends up with a CarFax" is just sillyl - but I digress) - what is interesting is why the residual on the M2 is so low. That car holds its value VERY well - maybe the best of all BMWs right now and it has a terrible residual. Interesting stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #74
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This is definitely food for thought - I think that BMW definitely played a game to get us into the lease, maybe hoping we'd make up for it by buying the car, or dumping it on the back end to get the car off the lot regardless.

The car was old ('17) when we bought it in Spring 2018. The dealership had tons of incentives that made the monthly payment appealing. But that all goes out the window if we go to buy it and it is $5k over the lot price of comparable cars. Effectively it isn't a true discount if it was just stuck on the back end.

My friend used to do the MSD - he complained but he went back. Most people go back. The irony is his F30 lease was a moderately optioned 330 and he was paying more than our loaded 340 with performance upgrades. In most cases, I'm guessing the people paying more use the car less and/or take better care of it. We've babied this car, but I've always been that way with vehicles.

People do not understand write-offs, definitely agree there. I'd agree the M2 probably holds the best value of all BMWs. I am honestly concerned about what will happen to the M2 when the design is revised (IMHO it one few decent looking models being produced). It may make it hold even more value.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #75
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I just bought my 2018 M3 off the lease on 2/24. I assumed it from a guy here and after his incentive, and the dealer covering the last month lease payment for me, I only paid for 15 out of the 19 months left on the lease. My buyout was $46,061 and the dealer I used didn't charge me any BS dealer fees. I only paid the normal title and reg fee that is to be expected. The sales person came to my house and it only took five minutes to sign the paper work and hand over my checks.
      03-08-2021, 04:50 PM   #76
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

End of Lease Options / Consumer Rights

Quote:
It seems to be part of a bigger trend as they have forbidden dealers to make a deal now too which seems borderline illegal (price fixing?).
You hit the nail on the head. Specifically, BMW NA is fining dealers who are found selling off-lease vehicles back to its former lessee at prices that are below residual value. Because of this policy, dealers are depriving former lessees the right to fair marketplace negotiation.

Any consumer rights lawyers here that can opine?
Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      03-22-2021, 04:33 AM   #77
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Out of curiosity- how does early lease buyout work in the context of a trade in at a non BMW dealership? If I trade in my leased BMW at an Audi dealership, presumably the Audi dealership is buying the car from BMWFS at the lease buyout price that may include the remaining balance of what I owe on the lease - is that correct? The 2018 f80 I just bought had one prior owner who leased the car in January 2019, before trading it in at an Audi dealership (which is where I bought the car). I think I paid market based on what’s available in my region ($55k 2018 f80 comp with 17,500 miles), and I’m curious what sort of profit the dealership would have made given that the buyout price is determined beforehand by BMWFS.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #78
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Out of curiosity- how does early lease buyout work in the context of a trade in at a non BMW dealership? If I trade in my leased BMW at an Audi dealership, presumably the Audi dealership is buying the car from BMWFS at the lease buyout price that may include the remaining balance of what I owe on the lease - is that correct? The 2018 f80 I just bought had one prior owner who leased the car in January 2019, before trading it in at an Audi dealership (which is where I bought the car). I think I paid market based on what’s available in my region ($55k 2018 f80 comp with 17,500 miles), and I’m curious what sort of profit the dealership would have made given that the buyout price is determined beforehand by BMWFS.
If a lease has a remaining balance on it (payments, lease end fee (I am drawing a blank on what that is called), then those need to be satisfied. Ultimately, the Audi dealer would have called BMWFS and said "how much to buy this car out?" and BMW FS would say "the current buyout price is..." - which strangely enough is just about always the remaining lease payments plus that $325 or whatever they charge for end of lease. Audi would pay that, get title and then they could do whatever they wanted with the car. I don't think there is any negotiation that can or does occur here. But others may think differently.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #79
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Just like any other trade in, if your car is valued at 55K but your payoff is 50K, you will owe 5K when you trade it in. The Audi dealership is most likely going to be in the same shoes as anyone else.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #80
Vitacura
Ich Liebe mein BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i CV, 23 X1

I have a lease ending this summer that I wish to purchase. I am thinking of waiting until about 30 days before lease maturity to contact BMWFS and start the process. I will be paying the lease residual with no loan.
I recently read that in Florida it is required to go through a dealership to buyout a lease. I can't find concrete information, so asking if anyone has experiences with this in FL as my plan was to bypass dealer and deal directly with BMWFS so as to avoid the unnecessary high fees dealers add here.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #81
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitacura View Post
I have a lease ending this summer that I wish to purchase. I am thinking of waiting until about 30 days before lease maturity to contact BMWFS and start the process. I will be paying the lease residual with no loan.
I recently read that in Florida it is required to go through a dealership to buyout a lease. I can't find concrete information, so asking if anyone has experiences with this in FL as my plan was to bypass dealer and deal directly with BMWFS so as to avoid the unnecessary high fees dealers add here.
Just call Bmw finance and ask them directly if you can send direct payment to buy out your car let them know your state. Also about other payments if any like taxes, etc...

This should also all be written down on your lease contract.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #82
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Go on your BMW FS account and get the payoff documents. More details will be on there such as if you can send certified funds directly to BMW FS.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #83
Zap
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Specifically, BMW NA is fining dealers who are found selling off-lease vehicles back to its former lessee at prices that are below residual value. Because of this policy, dealers are depriving former lessees the right to fair marketplace negotiation.

Any consumer rights lawyers here that can opine?
So... I figure that I owe an update here. I spoke to our normal guy at the local dealer that we've worked with in the past. Don't know if it was the month changing, or if somehow my mention of these anti-trust behaviors, saying I might contact our consumer protection agency, or asking them for comp values on what they'd sell a similar car for given what I'd seen online.

He said he'd investigate the incentives and later called me back and said there was a $3k incentive on the price, which put the car in a lot better place. On top of that, there were BMW NA incentives that totaled $1k, for a grand total of $4k off. We paid for shop time to CPO plus the cost he quoted for the CPO wrap was 1/3 cheaper than the price we had been given in the past.

I was half waiting to see a line item "We do not partake in anti-trust discount" because we still never saw a thing in BMW FS after checking again. I can't say for certain that my actions caused this magical discount to appear, but after months of my girlfriend contacting dealerships and FS without luck....plus that nothing in this experience was like any of the others posted here, make of it what you will....

From my reading about the Sherman Anti-Trust Act

"Price fixing is an agreement among competitors to raise, fix, or otherwise maintain the price at which their goods or services are sold. It is not necessary that the competitors agree to charge exactly the same price, or that every competitor in a given industry join the conspiracy. Price fixing can take many forms, and any agreement that restricts price competition violates the law."

Given that the dealerships are "independently owned and operated" (BMW FS loves that verbiage) this would be an agreement effectively between competing entities for the buyout. The last line is telling, they can't make an agreement (and the dealers being under duress from corporate is irrelevant). Also, if a violation of the law is found, treble damages (triple) can be awarded as punishment - so there is a steep cost!

So, effectively we bought our lease vehicle and we got a fair market value - after it was all said and done, we beat the pricing I had seen online for a similar car that had less options, instead of being thousands more. I am definitely satisfied with the outcome, though it shouldn't have been so difficult.
Appreciate 3
      04-11-2021, 09:07 PM   #84
Whatcoloristhat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

When my lease was up, a month before I decided to finance it. Bmw dealership i originally loaned it from charged me close to $600 (550 actually) to do a inspection. Besides that the usual tax and bs like that but my residual was raised idk why. Called bmwfs and they said they let dealerships handle that so i’m not even sure if I got a good deal anymore but that’s life. No money off either. So depends on how experienced you are negotiating but I don’t think I fared well looking back. Better luck to you and others!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #85
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I had a dealer call me Sunday afternoon to say I needed to get an inspection to buy out my lease. I told him (somewhat nicely) to eff off. I’ll check the lease agreement, but I don’t get the need for an inspection before buying out a car. Seems like a ploy to waste a bunch of my time and charge me money to listen to a sales pitch for a new car I don’t want. I’ll just send a check directly to BMWFS using paperwork on their website.

I already dumped Audi for this kind of BS and can do the same with BMW.
      04-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #86
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
This is what Audi Financial Services told me in 2015, claiming they are not a licensed dealer in FL. Nowhere in the lease agreement did it say I needed to buy through a dealer and dealers wanted me to pay more than residual. I was so pissed off I bought an M4.

I can see the paperwork on the BMWFS site, which I couldn’t back then with Audi. So I plan to just send them a check with the paperwork.
      04-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #87
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

@zap

nice work!

what dealership group was it that you dealt with on the buyout?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #88
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I had a dealer call me Sunday afternoon to say I needed to get an inspection to buy out my lease. I told him (somewhat nicely) to eff off. I’ll check the lease agreement, but I don’t get the need for an inspection before buying out a car. Seems like a ploy to waste a bunch of my time and charge me money to listen to a sales pitch for a new car I don’t want. I’ll just send a check directly to BMWFS using paperwork on their website.

I already dumped Audi for this kind of BS and can do the same with BMW.
WTH - why would you need an inspection to buy out the car. That's just cray cray!
Appreciate 0