Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

04-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #89
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
WTH - why would you need an inspection to buy out the car. That's just cray cray!
My thoughts exactly. I sent a note in to BMWFS and here was their response (basically, we can't help it if some dealers are scumbags that want to use the opportunity to sell you more shit). I did call in to BMWFS previously and they told me if I wanted to finance through BMW it had to go through a dealer (some rule specific to FL). But I should be able to just send a check and avoid the dealer.

Thank you for contacting BMW Financial Services. We sincerely apologize for any confusion we may have caused regarding the purchase of your leased vehicle.

Please note, all automobile dealerships are independently owned and operated businesses, and that autonomy affords them the ability to sell third party protection policies, warranties, service plans, etc. As a captive finance company, BMW Financial Services cannot comment or speculate on the products or services sold by your independently owned and operated BMW Center.

If you wish to purchase the vehicle directly from BMW Financial Services, please contact us via telephone at (800) 959-4269. When you call, please be sure to have your current vehicle mileage with you. A representative would be delighted to provide you with a payoff quote or refinance quote and assist with submitting a credit application.

We hope this response has fully addressed your inquiry. If you have further questions, please respond to this message or contact us at (800) 959-4269, Monday through Thursday, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET, and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.
      04-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #90
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I sent a note in to BMWFS and here was their response (basically, we can't help it if some dealers are scumbags that want to use the opportunity to sell you more shit). I did call in to BMWFS previously and they told me if I wanted to finance through BMW it had to go through a dealer (some rule specific to FL). But I should be able to just send a check and avoid the dealer.
It might be that I'm getting older and crankier... but I'd devise a plan to make the dealer come to your house.

"Gosh, I would love to get an inspection, but with my leg messed up, I can't drive now. Could you come to my house please?"

Then don't answer the door.

buabhabhabhahbahbhahbha

sorry. I'm bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:48 PM   #91
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
It might be that I'm getting older and crankier... but I'd devise a plan to make the dealer come to your house.

"Gosh, I would love to get an inspection, but with my leg messed up, I can't drive now. Could you come to my house please?"

Then don't answer the door.

buabhabhabhahbahbhahbha

sorry. I'm bad.
Well, I guess I must be getting older too because that sounds like a great idea. When he calls back again, I may try it.
doug_9992538.50
      05-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #92
sushmit1990
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

I have a 2018 340i lease which is going to end in July, with a residual of ~$34.5k and I am considering buying it out.
Looking at the recent posts, I don't see much hope of getting any customer rebate from BMWFS.
I am thinking to finance the buyout with 20k down. Do I need to go via the dealer for this?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:07 PM   #93
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushmit1990 View Post
I have a 2018 340i lease which is going to end in July, with a residual of ~$34.5k and I am considering buying it out.
Looking at the recent posts, I don't see much hope of getting any customer rebate from BMWFS.
I am thinking to finance the buyout with 20k down. Do I need to go via the dealer for this?
The dealer would be the easiest but they will make money off of you.
You can always find a lender on your own just let them know your intentions and see if they have a refinance loan for you Credit Unions usually have the best rates. Just get your total payoff including all fees work out a payment plan with the new lender and that’s what you finance from them. They issue you a check payed to bmwfs you send it to them and they will issue the title to the bank. Banks usually have a procedure on this types of transactions. good luck!
      05-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #94
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sent in check to BMWFS yesterday to buy my F83 as lease is ending in a few weeks.

Today I got Apple CarPlay and moved my phone to the center console, where I learned I could have been using wireless charging for the past 3 years. I knew car was equipped but had in my head I needed some special phone case for it to work and guess I never tried it before today lol.
      06-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #95
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott13 View Post
More GREAT info. Many thanks.

For full disclosure, the way this started for me was...

I told the dealer that I was interested in the option of buying out the lease, but didn't know how that process worked and would like to see the details. I didn't ask for any sort of discount on the residual and I also didn't specify whether I wanted to go through them or directly through BMW FS, largely because I didn't realize going directly through BWM FS was an option. They just presented me with their "deal" which was the full residual price plus >$500 in nebulously defined fees ($335 documentation fee + $250 safety check fee + to be determined repair costs). They also included the cost of state sales tax and the standard $135 registration and title fee, but both of those make perfect sense to me.
I'm comfortable with paying the full residual, especially since it happens to be right about in the range for market value around here (according to KBB). Knowing what I know now (thanks to everyone here), I'm planning on either going through BMW FS and just handle everything myself OR see if the dealer is willing to waive the various fees and potentially pass on some benefit they'll realize by purchasing the car on my behalf, maybe in the form of a nice discount on extended warranty or something like that. That feels like a fair ask on my part since I feel like they opened the door to that conversation by presenting their way as "THE" way this is done.
Prior to COVID, BMW FS was frequently offering discounts on certain models on the residual. When you get within 60-90 days of your lease end, check on your “payoff” price on the FS website. It’s worth taking a look. I know for a fact that the dealer is charged a premium by BMW if they sell a leased car to the original leasee. They can’t avoid it and can’t make a profit, which is why it’s so difficult. After COVID, things tightened up due to the rising demand for pre-owned cars. The previous poster is correct that. Dealer can usually purchase a leased vehicle (especially a garden variety non “M” vehicle) for much less than your residual. Let’s face it, BMW doesn’t want those cars, they want to sell them, and the easiest, cheapest way for them to do that is make it attractive for a dealer to purchase and re-sell them. But if, for example, a dealer already has a boatload of 3 series on their lot, they’re going to send cars back. What BMW started to do a couple years ago is offer the original leasee a discount too. They will not negotiate, but check with them when your lease is up. Can’t hurt.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:32 PM   #96
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Public Transportation

Quote:
Sent in check to BMWFS yesterday to buy my F83 as lease is ending in a few weeks.

Today I got Apple CarPlay and moved my phone to the center console, where I learned I could have been using wireless charging for the past 3 years. I knew car was equipped but had in my head I needed some special phone case for it to work and guess I never tried it before today lol.
How did you end up buying your lease? Did you have to go through a dealer since you are in FL?
      06-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #97
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan View Post
How did you end up buying your lease? Did you have to go through a dealer since you are in FL?
I sent BMWFS a cashier’s check, they returned the title with a bill of sale and I had a tag agency process the title transfer and registration update. Avoided the dealer completely.
      06-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #98
Tuscan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Public Transportation

Quote:
Quote:
I sent BMWFS a cashier’s check, they returned the title with a bill of sale and I had a tag agency process the title transfer and registration update. Avoided the dealer completely.
Thanks for the response. I wonder how BMWFS by-pass the dealers. Other brands say you have to buy your lease through a dealer due to a FL law.
      06-19-2021, 04:12 PM   #99
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I wonder how BMWFS by-pass the dealers. Other brands say you have to buy your lease through a dealer due to a FL law.
Audi Financial Services told me I had to go through a dealer because they were not a FL dealer back in 2013. Then dealers wanted to charge me more than residual + a fee to buy it out, which is how I ended up with my first M4 - I was so pissed at Audi. I didn’t have that issue with BMWFS. Just filled out the paperwork from the website and sent it in with the check. That said, I didn’t finance it so maybe that’s were it gets trickier because I originally considered financing it and when I called BMWFS they suggested I go see a dealer.

The real question is how are manufacturer financial captives allowed to enter into a contract with a consumer that contains a buyout option at a fixed price if they are unable to legally fulfill those terms? To me, it’s absurd to require a consumer to pay anything to a dealer to buy a car they already have a contractual right to purchase at a set price. I was able to originally lease my current car through a dealer in CA and people buy cars out of state all the time. So ridiculous to me buying out a lease should be different.
      06-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #100
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

I think I have a few thousand of equity in my lease so if I dont buy it at RV then I will see if I can make a few bucks selling it. I called a local used call dealer about buying it and they said they need to call BMW FS to get the dealer buyout. Guy asked me to provide my vin, home address, BMW FS account # and last 4 of my SS#. don't love sharing this info.
anyone know how I can determine the dealer buyout price on my own? thx
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 08:54 AM   #101
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
I think I have a few thousand of equity in my lease so if I dont buy it at RV then I will see if I can make a few bucks selling it. I called a local used call dealer about buying it and they said they need to call BMW FS to get the dealer buyout. Guy asked me to provide my vin, home address, BMW FS account # and last 4 of my SS#. don't love sharing this info.
Try calling BMWFS and asking them the best way to do that without sharing personal info.
      06-20-2021, 12:43 PM   #102
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Try calling BMWFS and asking them the best way to do that without sharing personal info.
thx. FS was closed today. Figured I'd asked here first.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 04:24 PM   #103
metalblaze
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 (F15)

Dealer vs. Vroom

Thanks for the information in this thread.

My lease is coming to an end around Christmas. Just for fun, I checked with Vroom and they are offering me ~10% more than the total payoff from BMWFS.

I can buy the car outright via BMWFS, change the title after the lease buyout, and then sell the car to Vroom. However, I will have to pay NY sales tax for the buyout.

Is it even worth checking with our local BMW dealer to see if they would instead buyout the lease (and potentially avoid paying sales tax)?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:03 AM   #104
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaze View Post

My lease is coming to an end around Christmas. Just for fun, I checked with Vroom and they are offering me ~10% more than the total payoff from BMWFS.

I can buy the car outright via BMWFS, change the title after the lease buyout, and then sell the car to Vroom. However, I will have to pay NY sales tax for the buyout.

Is it even worth checking with our local BMW dealer to see if they would instead buyout the lease (and potentially avoid paying sales tax)?
As far as I'm aware, that's not an option anymore. BMW put a stop to it last year.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #105
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Vroom can't just buy the car directly instead of you buying it and reselling it? Is there a Carmax nearby. Try them if Vroom can't buy directly.
      11-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #106
dms-01
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Vroom can't just buy the car directly instead of you buying it and reselling it? Is there a Carmax nearby. Try them if Vroom can't buy directly.
BMW stopped 3rd party buyouts not too long ago. Whether they reinstate who the hell knows. I guess with low inventory they want all the leases back for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 09:23 AM   #107
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms-01 View Post
BMW stopped 3rd party buyouts not too long ago. Whether they reinstate who the hell knows. I guess with low inventory they want all the leases back for the foreseeable future.
Someone else said that in another thread and then another person came in and said it was only temporary and now allowed.
      12-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #108
jlspeed29
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SO ZCP CCB

Garage List
2008 335 coupe  [8.00]
Quote:

ugh.. my lease is coming due shortly also.. if I buy it out, I will have to pay CA sales tax right?

dam.. there goes any equity i had built up.. about 5-9k depending on the buyer...
      12-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #109
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post
ugh.. my lease is coming due shortly also.. if I buy it out, I will have to pay CA sales tax right?

dam.. there goes any equity i had built up.. about 5-9k depending on the buyer...
Of course you have to pay sales tax unless CA is one of that one states that collects it upfront (and doesn’t require paying it again). The buyout amount on the BMWFS website will show the actual buyout amount including sales tax.
DocL1921.00
      12-20-2021, 09:12 AM   #110
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlspeed29 View Post

I thought if you re-sold the car within a certain time frame you didn't have to pay sales tax (California only).

At least that's what someone said here at one point?
Appreciate 0