proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Stage 2 road noise reduction - Soundskins install DIY

Hey yall

I did this install into my M2C, but plan on following up on every car I own that has foam vapor barriers. (some if the brand new models have a hard plastic shell with a gasket instead of foam fyi)

First, if you are doing to do stage 2 then absolutely do my stage 1 at the same time since you are in the same area.

Sometimes the changes we make on our cars has a relatively small delta in performance, or aesthetics, or even sound. This is not a small change in results, especially when compared to how easy it is to do the work.

This guide really could work for ANY car or model of BMW that has soft foam vapor barriers in the doors, not just my specific M2C. There are so many benefits to doing this, few projects I have done have such win/win/win along the way.

First, if you have an older model and your vapor barriers are worn, torn or failing, this replaces them entirely with tougher material.

Next, the Soundskins Pro material absolutely cuts down road noise coming in through your doors which can be significant. In my road testing post install, I saw roughly a -4 db drop in overall ambient road noise, which is very significant. Keep in mind 10db is a 2x perceived noise volume, so we are looking at a 40% (roughly) reduction in average volume. That is HUGE, for such a simple piece of work.

Lastly.. audio.. we have these great cars with awesome sound systems, especially if you upgraded, getting drowned under in road noise! This change is immediately noticeable, especially when combined with the speaker rings (stage 1). My in door mids are significantly better, the sound richer and mid range especially more clear.

This really is simple work, but the bang for the buck on this project is amazing. Side note.. just wait until you see (and hear) my full stage 3 coming soon too.

Sincerely check this out, the work isn't hard and the benefits are really immediately apparent.

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0