R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

07-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #23
V8MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CxD IOMG

What would you recommend for winter ED?, will be there the 23rd trough the 27th of November to pickup my M3, heading back to the US on the 28th. I would really like to do the some of the alpine passes but it does not look like I will be able to because of the time of year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Bottom left of page...

here is a direct link...
https://www.bmw-routes.com/uk/en/routes/index.jsp
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:10 AM   #24
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8MAN View Post
What would you recommend for winter ED?, will be there the 23rd trough the 27th of November to pickup my M3, heading back to the US on the 28th. I would really like to do the some of the alpine passes but it does not look like I will be able to because of the time of year?
First you will need a set of winter tires/wheels. Many places near the Welt will rent you them. I think you should have a few different plans on where to drive... bc your route will depend a lot on mother nature. Many of these passes close on the first heavy snow fall of the year. That Normally happens around Oct/Nov. So IF your lucky... you might be able to drive a pass or two.

Also IF its raining in say Munich.. when you get above 700 meters and then again above 1,500 meters... you will have snow and ice. So again... you might get half way up a pass - only to turn around.

One road which is nice is the Bundesstraße that runs around Berchtesgaden. Its a nice tight curvy road.

https://www.google.de/maps/dir/Berch...47.6301796!3e0

IF your into history you could check out Hitler's Eagles Nest and the documentation museum there. You can take a bus ride up to Eagle's Nest from there.

http://www.obersalzberg.de/obersalzberg-home.html

Also be sure to visit the Zum Turken hotel's tunnels. While the documentation museum is cool... its all clean and sterile. At the Zum Turken, its STILL creepy and dark. Its a very cool insider's tip place to visit.

http://www.hotel-zum-tuerken.com/hotel.html

Another idea would be to drive Germany's version of the Tail of the Dragon... namely the Tatzelwurmstraße. Its less than an hour South of Munch and its a nice road to drive. I would start out in Brannenburg, then drive to Bayrischzell from there you could drive to the Bayrischzell(Lake area) or even see the Tegernsee(lake) and into Austria.

One of my all time favorite hotels is the:

Hotel Seminar Kraftquelle Schlossblick
Embach 1
6320 Angerberg
Austria

Kufstein(Austria) is near by and a cool city to visit. Also Swarovski Kristallwelten is not too far from here - maybe for the Mrs.

Another place to visit before you start on the Tatzelwurmstraße would be the Café Winklstüberl in Fischbachau. It's very famous for its homemade cakes and pies. This place is really old school Germany! Be prepared to wait on busy weekend days. I would come during the week, though. Most Germans even have trouble understanding the THICK Bayrische accents from this area. Another great thing about this area is the roads are GREAT FUN to drive.

Café Winklstüberl
Leitzachtal Str.68
83730 Fischbachau

Another great road to drive is: Soelden (6450 Soelden, Austria) to Timmelsjoch Hochalpenstraße. This is a really nice section of Alpine road. You will probably recognize many sections of this road from BMW(& Porsche) videos and even James Bond films.

I hope this helps give you some ideas. Just hot me up for any questions you might have.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #25
V8MAN
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CxD IOMG

Thanks Dackel for the info!! I will ping you through PM as I have a few more questions and it would be great to get your advice.
      08-29-2015, 10:51 PM   #26
Ragged Edge
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16F80,TR6,Defender,PA23-250T

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Recently came back from Euro Delivery and took a few gadgets with me. The following applies to Germany, Italy, Switzerland, France, Austria, and Belgium.
Radar detector (V1) was pretty much useless as they don't seem to care terribly if you speed a little... as long as you don't buzz excessively past a leo. Plus they take a dim view of radar detectors anyway (ticket if caught using it).
Waze: useless in most parts of EU. Starting to catch on in Canada, but uptake is slow. I still use it and it has helped occasionally.
C-150 Cheetah: A MUST have if going on Euro Delivery. Pretty good here in Canada to until you get to know where the traps are. So a great complement to a radar/laser detector/jammer when on a road trip. I am not invested in the company, so my opinion is just that. It gives a great description of the type of speed cameras. In Europe this is gold, as they have average speed cameras on top of well hidden laser cameras shooting at the back of your car. In Italy I have run into 3 of these in a row within 2 km. I got mine from Alex (a distributor here in Vancouver, KMPH.ca), who was kind enough to lend me his V1 for this Euro trip when he heard I was going. Just my 2cents but seriously worth checking out if going to do an ED.

Last edited by Ragged Edge; 08-29-2015 at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 04:39 PM   #27
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Arrow Bernina Pass, Poschiavo, Switzerland...

Looks like Porsche has a new series of travel blogs coming out. This one is on the Bernina Pass. I have not driven it yet, but I plan on driving it soon.

Bernina Pass, Poschiavo, Switzerland...https://www.google.de/maps/place/Ber...d10.0266?hl=en
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #28
Tainen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e30 325i, subaru wrx

Dackelone the BMW-routes.com website does not seem to load anymore.

I've got a may euro delivery for an M2 Comp that is being ordered here soon... but am having a hard time planning the trip. Never been to germany. some thoughts.
-wife would like to see the Austrian town where they filmed sound of music
-swiss alps sound fantastic
-maybe see the rhein and some castles?
-maybe see a concentration camp museum?
-maybe check out the nurburgring

I can kinda see a route forming in my head if I do these in that order, clockwise circling around munich for 7 days. is that an ok itinerary? we're ok with lots of driving, we love road trips.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      01-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
Dackelone the BMW-routes.com website does not seem to load anymore.

I've got a may euro delivery for an M2 Comp that is being ordered here soon... but am having a hard time planning the trip. Never been to germany. some thoughts.
-wife would like to see the Austrian town where they filmed sound of music
-swiss alps sound fantastic
-maybe see the rhein and some castles?
-maybe see a concentration camp museum?
-maybe check out the nurburgring

I can kinda see a route forming in my head if I do these in that order, clockwise circling around munich for 7 days. is that an ok itinerary? we're ok with lots of driving, we love road trips.
Humm... looks like BMW Routes is now offline. Not sure when they took it down. But I will try and help you plan your ED tour.

I would say try to drive less than 200 kms per day.

The drive from Munich to Salzburg(where the Sound of Music was filmed) is only an hour and half away. Buy your Austrian Vignette at any German gas station on the Autobahn BEFORE you cross the border. Go up to the Salzburg Castle(Fortress) at sunset or night... its spectacular! Take the venicular up to the castle.

The Salzburg castle is called: Festung Hohensalzburg
You can take a train up the side of the mountain to get up to the fortress here...

Festungsbahn Salzburg
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Fes....0460729?hl=en

This biergarten(Restaurant Stiegl-Keller) is quite nice just a short walk up the street from the bahn starting point up to the castle.

Restaurant Stiegl-Keller
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Res....0472866?hl=en

In Salzburg there is the AWESOME RedBull Hangar-7...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Han....0073619?hl=en

Its free to enter and they have a amazing restaurant on the second level there too. Be sure to go to the restrooms downstairs!! You will understand when you go there!

Just outside of Salzburg is a small family run museum called Manro Classic Auto Museum. Its a cool cute museum or cars and music rock and roll. But IF I had to only choose one car museum in Salzburg... go to Hanger 7!

Manro Classic Auto & Musik Museum...
https://www.google.de/maps/place/Man....1604624?hl=en

Take a look at this thread of mine...

Places to visit near Munich while on ED...
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1170588

I think you will find many ideas in the above thread. Just let me know if you have any other question.

Nurburgring is about five and half hours drive from Munich. As for the Rhein river... yeah sure... but I prefer the Mosel river... less crowded and much more beautiful. I'd say IF you drive up to the Ring... near Mayen is the town of Cochem... drive into Cochem and them drive South direction Trier(the oldest Roman city in Germany I think). The Mosel is great for wine and castles - but very flat roads. The back roads around the Ring are just awesome. There was once an active volcano(now not!) in this Eifel area. That is why for the many nice roads.

Concentration camp museum(Germans call them "KZ" lagger)... near Munich is the (im)famous Dachau. There are many other concentration museums around Germany. Near Dachau is the Oberschleissheim Musuem & Castle next door. It's part of the Deutsches Museum and they house the world of Aviation in Oberschleissheim. It's quite cool if you are into aviation. I;ve covered it in my ED Museum thread bellow.

Also check out my ED Museum thread here...

Dackel's European Delivery Museum Guide
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494657

Personally I would skip the drive up to the Ring... and I would concentrate on driving around Salzburg and Austria and Northern Italy or Tirol area. Sourthern Germany is just AWESOME!! Drive for the day in Switzerland... but that country is so damn expensive... stay the night in Italy or Austria. The Swiss are crazy with their speeding fines too!

Dackel
Appreciate 0