BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #45
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned a good alignment yet. Having all the wheels pointed in the right direction helps quite a bit.

Doesn't add grip or remove the need for driving skill, but the car tends to go straight more often under acceleration, IME.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      12-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #46
Eriksson8642
BMW Fanboy
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
2018 M3 CS. Seems like with all the hi tech performance based electronics loaded into this car (especially the M e-diff) that one would be able to launch this car without the rear moving around side to side so much. With TC turned fully on it's ok because the tires are barely spinning but in MDM mode the rear ends gets so squirrelly side to side. Geez, I can launch my 500 hp 04 Mustang Cobra better and straighter and it has ZERO electronic aids. I don't get it :
It's simple... you need beefier boys in the back
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #47
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksson8642 View Post
Quote:
2018 M3 CS. Seems like with all the hi tech performance based electronics loaded into this car (especially the M e-diff) that one would be able to launch this car without the rear moving around side to side so much. With TC turned fully on it's ok because the tires are barely spinning but in MDM mode the rear ends gets so squirrelly side to side. Geez, I can launch my 500 hp 04 Mustang Cobra better and straighter and it has ZERO electronic aids. I don't get it :
It's simple... you need beefier boys in the back
You might be onto something and you said it in one sentence. Admittedly, I was able to fit 315's with 10 inch rims on the rear of my Mustang. I love the stock CS wheels tho. I assume you have to change wheel width to go to a wider tire correct? My other option is to go to Michelin cups but I don't like the sound of small rocks that get stuck to them being kicked up against my car. I've also heard unless you get the cups up to temp they are no better hooking than the super sports. What about the 4S? Is that tire considered to be in the middle of the super sports and the cups twos's?
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #48
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
Kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned a good alignment yet. Having all the wheels pointed in the right direction helps quite a bit.

Doesn't add grip or remove the need for driving skill, but the car tends to go straight more often under acceleration, IME.
It has nothing to do with the alignment; the M4 had problems putting down power from the day it rolled off the assembly line. It was a well known issue.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1056851

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1003463

BMW's solution in later iterations was to tune it to be more back-loaded and add larger wheels in Competition Package but that all goes out the window once you add back some power or remap the boost.

It's what it is and certainly the reason the next generation M4 will be offered with an AWD option and sadly, eventually without a manual transmission, in an attempt to electronically harness the power output.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #49
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
I've got a 15 and I don't feel the rear end is squirly on a launch or otherwise. it's easy to break it over but thats different. Maybe you should take it to the dealer and have them double check the software
I thought about that. Are you guys with DCT saying your cars rear end does not get sideways when breaking the tires loose when accelerating hard while going straight ? Today I floored it at around 35 mph in MDM mode with all other settings in sport. The tires were lit up. The rear end moved from right to left to right before finally hooking up at around 55 mph or so then went straight.
I'm shocked at how Squirrley the rear end is even with moderate acceleration
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #50
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: Incoming G87

Put at least 295s on the rear. Until then modulate with your feet. Look at lap times of these cars before and after ZCP came out and there is clearly nothing squirrelly going on. On the '15 and '16s with original software yes, squirrelly, after that almost too tame down low with BMW's re-map...the CS is a well-balanced machine.

Read...no drive, the manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:12 AM   #51
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I don't know what y'all doing with your right foot. Or you've got greasy roads that you don't know about.

I just got back from a cold winter drive, did a WOT 1st-3rd gear pull in MDM mode and I had no squirrelly ass. Actually amazed at the level of grip. It was wet and zero degrees Celsius outside.

Stock non-ZCP 6MT on snow tires (640M & 255-section Goodyears).

I have seen DCT cars fishtail a bit because the 2nd and 3rd gear shifts are aggressive and if the road and tires are cold, there's gonna be some sideways action. Can be seen here at 1:50.

Last edited by swagon; 12-26-2019 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24971.50
      12-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #52
Eriksson8642
BMW Fanboy
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Correct, you need wider rims to accommodate wider tires, so you cannot use wider tires on stock rims, and I also love the stock rims on the M3 CS. And that's EXACTLY what I have been thinking, if I ever owned an M3, or any high horsepower car for that matter, I would probably buy some Sport 4S's, as Sport Cup 2's are a step too high IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #53
onefastdoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

I would agree with the OP. My M3 Comp seems pretty squirrelly when the rear loses traction in a straight line. It tends to snap sideways. I've driven a lot of high hp rwd cars and some will stay straight when the rear tires start to break traction, and some, like the M3, tend to snap sideways. I tend to think its the e-diff doing that as opposed to what a standard mechanical lsd would do. It's probably the only thing I don't like about the M3.
2008 E90 M3 sold
2007 E92 335i (369whp, 354wtq) sold
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #54
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I don't know what y'all doing with your right foot. Or you've got greasy roads that you don't know about.

I just got back from a cold winter drive, did a WOT 1st-3rd gear pull in MDM mode and I had no squirrelly ass. Actually amazed at the level of grip. It was wet and zero degrees Celsius outside.

Stock non-ZCP 6MT on snow tires (640M & 255-section Goodyears).

I have seen DCT cars fishtail a bit because the 2nd and 3rd gear shifts are aggressive and if the road and tires are cold, there's gonna be some sideways action. Can be seen here at 1:50.
+1
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00
      12-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #55
BoostinLI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
This car loves to get Squirrelly in the rear, period. Anyone that says otherwise is lying lol. The one thing with the guys that's denying it is, they've become accustomed to it as I've had. You honestly just have to get used to the power and the car's behavior, and obviously avoid smashing it, especially if the roads are a little damp and your tires are still cold. Also, a friend of mine was telling me about GTS coding for the rear diff, maybe something to try out. GL
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #56
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarlcase View Post
Quote:
This car loves to get Squirrelly in the rear, period. Anyone that says otherwise is lying lol. The one thing with the guys that's denying it is, they've become accustomed to it as I've had. You honestly just have to get used to the power and the car's behavior, and obviously avoid smashing it, especially if the roads are a little damp and your tires are still cold. Also, a friend of mine was telling me about GTS coding for the rear diff, maybe something to try out. GL
I agree. Lots of good advice to minimize and control the power but that's the bottom line. , I just had unrealistic expectations of the electronics stepping in to control. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #57
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Coding the diff to the GTS and running PS4S goes quite a long way to settle the rear end down.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #58
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropes View Post
Coding the diff to the GTS and running PS4S goes quite a long way to settle the rear end down.
Thanks. I wonder how much different the GTS code is from the CS tho. Does anyone know if there is a difference. ?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #59
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Sure! We're all liars!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:00 AM   #60
AO08BAS
Private
Rep
Drives: TR G80 Comp

Quote:
As true as the above maybe I think this whole thread shows the flip flop nature of the current sports car buyers market. We have here a 3 page thread about people complaining that an almost 500hp RWD car is a handful to drive.

These same people will be bashing on the G80 for being a 500hp AWD drive for not being a handful to drive....
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
Poochie9103.00
Kilabyte3946.50
      12-30-2019, 02:23 AM   #61
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeCP View Post
Quote:
As true as the above maybe I think this whole thread shows the flip flop nature of the current sports car buyers market. We have here a 3 page thread about people complaining that an almost 500hp RWD car is a handful to drive.

These same people will be bashing on the G80 for being a 500hp AWD drive for not being a handful to drive....
It seems the point of my OP post was lost a bit. I am quite competent driving a high HP car. I realize now after all the reading replies, that my expectations of BMW electronics controlling fishtailing when accelerating hard we're unrealistic. I love the car and it's a blast to drive "dynamically" as BMW calls it. Lol. I'm just surprised I can launch my 500 HP 04 Mustang Cobra with zero electronic aids straighter and in more control that's all. I do appreciate all the advice and replies though. I think my main concern was that maybe me M active diff was perhaps not working as designed. I realize now that it's the nature of the beast. (Pun intended)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 09:22 AM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeCP View Post
Quote:

This is true!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #63
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

Quote:
Thanks. I wonder how much different the GTS code is from the CS tho. Does anyone know if there is a difference. ?
I started with ZCP and it was typical M3/4 hooligan. The CS felt part hooligan and part serious about hooking up. The GTS feels very serious about hooking up and when the back end does step out; it does it in a much more relaxed manner. I feel the car should have come from the factory with this setting. The car now feels like a proper sports car and not a muscle car with more power than the chassis can handle. With a tune and I can now get to full depression of the gas pedal in second.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #64
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
I'm just surprised I can launch my 500 HP 04 Mustang Cobra with zero electronic aids straighter and in more control that's all.
The Mustang can house 305 rear tires and the M4 only can accommodate 275 max.

This is one of those instances where size matters..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:00 PM   #65
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I agree. Lots of good advice to minimize and control the power but that's the bottom line. , I just had unrealistic expectations of the electronics stepping in to control. Thanks
Actualy you did not. With full DSC, the electronics do a fine job of keeping the rear end in check

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 04:03 PM   #66
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The Mustang can house 305 rear tires and the M4 only can accommodate 275 max.

This is one of those instances where size matters..
Say what ??

I comfortably fit 305 rear tires on my M4 with room to spare, as do many other owners. Some managed to fit even wider tires.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
jmg18657.00