EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: What transmission will-you-get or do-you-have in your M3/M4?
6MT 1,320 53.57%
DCT 1,144 46.43%
Voters: 2464. You may not vote on this poll

11-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S4

6MT or DCT?

Would/did you go with 6MT or DCT?
      11-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

that DCT looks stupidly cool
Appreciate 1
georgere584.50
      11-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Manual for me. I think that DCT looks hideously over-done, like a sketch from a high schooler who then overlaid everything with carbon fiber wrap.

Also, I like the smaller I-drive knob. Maybe that's just me.
Appreciate 3
zamboni1124.50
      11-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I'm all for CF interior trim but there is a sharp limit on where and how much. That DCT shifter in CF is hideous and make the car look redicolous. Tooooooooooo much. The rest of the CF trim look great.

I'm leaning MT now but I need to drive both before deciding. As good as the DCT is the MT need to really suite the car and be very crisp for me to choose it. The rubbery long throws combined with the long high clutch engagement of some BMWs I've owned is not going to do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee-m-w View Post
Are you going to take delivery of a 6MT or a DCT car?
I'll wait and see how much weight a DCT is over the manual. The talk is that the manual will be better than what it is in the M3 now, so if it is really good and saves lots more weight then that's what I'll probably get. But if the weight savings is not all that great (and I don't really know what would qualify as "all that great" right now) then I'll get the DCT for faster shifts and bragging rights.

Quote:
Side note, notice the larger, ceramic iDrive knob in the DCT picture below. If you don't get that Technology or Executive package that has that, you get the down market iDrive edition.
I think the larger knob has the "touch" interface -- drawing out letters and numbers, swiping and pinching to zoom, etc. The smaller one is for the version without those features. I'm not totally sure but I seems there is no option for the latter on the new M3/M4.

Cheers.
      11-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

Weight mounted that low in the car is not a huge issue. The Tesla is 5000 pounds but you would never know it because it's all in the floor boards. It has a lower c(g) than a Corvette. If it's the weight of spinning parts, that's a different story.

Aside from that, manual and DSG/DCT respond differently to your right foot. The RS5 DSG feels weird to me compared to my S4 6MT - something about it is not *immediate* when you go throttle on. I'm not sure if that's some fuel saving measure, or a "not in the maximum sport mode" setting, or if it's just a flaw of double clutch gearboxes that might be in the wrong gear.
      11-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Tranny choice

Been driving manuals for almost 50 years now (except my SUVs). Faster to me would not compensate for one more aspect of control you have over the car. Everyone has different priorities, and I recognize that younger drivers may not be as enamored with manual operations. Heck, even the auto blip on downshift I am going to have to get used to because my feet are programmed to do that now! 50-75 lb. weight savings and less cost are just bonuses. No wrong choice -- nice we have a choice as opposed to some Porsches, Jags, etc.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

The fact that this **may** be the last 6MT ever offered on an M3 is a reason like no other to get 6MT, ***even*** if you prefer autotragic (cough cough I mean DCT).
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Aside from that, manual and DSG/DCT respond differently to your right foot. The RS5 DSG feels weird to me compared to my S4 6MT - something about it is not *immediate* when you go throttle on. I'm not sure if that's some fuel saving measure, or a "not in the maximum sport mode" setting, or if it's just a flaw of double clutch gearboxes that might be in the wrong gear.
I don't have much time with the DCT, but the time I did have with it was not like this. It leads me to believe that its Audi's programming making it behave this way or that Audi's tranny is just not up to the standards of BMW's DCT.

Cheers.
      11-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Weight mounted that low in the car is not a huge issue. The Tesla is 5000 pounds but you would never know it because it's all in the floor boards. It has a lower c(g) than a Corvette. If it's the weight of spinning parts, that's a different story.

LOL...you should try to drive a BMW with DCT sometime. Ain't like your VW tranny dude. And how come you don't just put your Audi in your photo? I know you've already been busted by the guy who's car you used. Audi forums must be dull.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

I will be ordering DCT. I would bet the 6MT is going to be amazing though!
      11-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #12
Robbo McLaren
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d Gran Coupe

I simply can't decide. I drive a 2012 S5 V6T and TBH S-Tronic isn't that great, as somebody has pointed out for their RS5, there is 0.50 sec of lag when you boot it it unless you are in dynamic mode which still only makes it marginally better.
I've never owned an M3 of any kind, and in all honesty I am still undecided on M4/m3 or auto or manual.
Cost, weight and driver interface will be the deciding factors for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I'm all for CF interior trim but there is a sharp limit on where and how much. That DCT shifter in CF is hideous and make the car look redicolous. Tooooooooooo much. The rest of the CF trim look great.

I'm leaning MT now but I need to drive both before deciding. As good as the DCT is the MT need to really suite the car and be very crisp for me to choose it. The rubbery long throws combined with the long high clutch engagement of some BMWs I've owned is not going to do it.

Agree 100%

As for the CF trim, this reminds me of the hideous home interior wood paneling which was popular in homes back in the 70's. Tacky.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
I don't have much time with the DCT, but the time I did have with it was not like this. It leads me to believe that its Audi's programming making it behave this way or that Audi's tranny is just not up to the standards of BMW's DCT.

Cheers.
Fortunately it can be disabled. I don't plan to let the old heel & toe timing get rusty!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

going with DCT for my first one. Then maybe 6MT the following year.

I have always had manual trans until my current M now which is DCT and I really enjoy it so I will try it again

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

tough decision - I love 6MT but is it time to embrace new technology?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

i missed having MT when i had auto.. i never missed having a auto while owning a MT.. end of discussion for me..
Appreciate 4
ddk632583.00
ATLM323.50
      11-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #18
M4Trojan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 ZCP

I'll need to drive both to make a final decision, but right now I'm leaning towards the 6mt. For me, it's more about the interactive experience of shifting gears than weight reduction or anything else.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #19
absoluteis350
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 Singapore Grey M3

There are 2 reasons why I am switching to BMW->
1) weight reduction as opposed to the bloating over time that occurs with every other brand
2) they offer a manual transmission

If the manual were to go away, I would cry a little, and not know what to drive. Maybe a 4 banger with a stick shift.. I'd rather drive that then an automatic. I couldn't give a rats ass if the auto-box M4 is faster.

Seriously, when will the car companies realize that many of us would pay MORE to be able to select a stick shift ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixse View Post
i missed having MT when i had auto.. i never missed having a auto while owning a MT.. end of discussion for me..
Very well put. We had to get my wife an automatic for her next car, and she misses the stick shift so she drives my car when she can. I like the way Audi did it better with my rs4.. offer it only in stick shift, screw the people that can't drive manual
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #20
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
There are 2 reasons why I am switching to BMW->
1) weight reduction as opposed to the bloating over time that occurs with every other brand
2) they offer a manual transmission

If the manual were to go away, I would cry a little, and not know what to drive. Maybe a 4 banger with a stick shift.. I'd rather drive that then an automatic. I couldn't give a rats ass if the auto-box M4 is faster.

Seriously, when will the car companies realize that many of us would pay MORE to be able to select a stick shift ?

Very well put. We had to get my wife an automatic for her next car, and she misses the stick shift so she drives my car when she can. I like the way Audi did it better with my rs4.. offer it only in stick shift, screw the people that can't drive manual
I would have agreed with those sentiments until I drove a DCT e9x M3. that transmission is amazing to drive and experience. the technology is amazing, and the direct feel of the shifts is sublime.

that said, with this lazy turbo motor and a hopefully better manual tranny, I'm going back to the manual box.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
gee-m-w
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post

Cheers.
I recall reading something about the new PDK programming in the Porsches that puts the car into neutral when it's coasting to lower resistance. The RS5 may have some of that programming.

Car assembly and marketing companies don't make transmissions. Borg Warner, Getrag, and a handful of other companies do. It's disingenuous to say VW/Porsche "make bad trannies" and BMW "has high standards".

The original BMW SMG hurt my impression of their ability to integrate an advanced automatic transmission. Not only mine, but most E90 and E92 M3 models the first 18 months were ordered with manuals. Then it cut over to DCT heavy once everyone saw it wasn't DOA.

I predict 3/4 of the M3 cars with have the DCT.
      11-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
jbockrd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 Alpine White/Carbon M3

Way too gaudy in the all CF trim. I would take the MT anyday despite the CF look. I do like the idrive dial better in the DCT pic