Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-18-2021, 10:55 PM   #67
NYG
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
I mounted the mic facing behind the license plate.
Have you tried putting the mic inside of the spare tire recess? I would have loved to try this with my M4
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 04:26 AM   #68
irokdayellup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3

After 3 years of owning a DJI Osmo Action cam. Trying every possible combination of settings, cables, and setups. I have finally given up... Great audio is just not possible with the DAC inside this camera.

Found a great deal on a used gopro 8 with the media mod today. Went out tonight and tried out the new setup.... Wowzers. My first attempt blew any of my Osmo setups outa the water and i am beyond happy. Had 2 recent track days footage ruined by cable adapters and osmo issues. Running Laguna Seca for the first time this weekend and super pumped I will have a worthy recording setup finally.

This is just a warning. Don't buy the Osmo if you are interested in car audio. Is a super great camera, dont get me wrong.

Last edited by irokdayellup; 12-22-2021 at 04:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
NYG1728.00
      12-24-2021, 11:02 AM   #69
jmg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, i3 LCI, VW Atlas

Garage List
I have a similar setup as NYG, I believe we shared some ideas a few years ago about a good setup! I'm still on a GoPro8 however, does the GoPro9 still require all the adapters?

Anyway, here's mine:

1) GoPro8 mounted to my helmet - GoPro Mic Adapter, Vlogging Case to mount the wireless receiver and mic adapter

2) RODE Wireless Go - Wireless mic system. You will need a patch cable to connect the RODE to the GoPro adapter, but I forgot if it came with one or I bought it separately.

3) Powered Lav mic - The GoPro8 required the use of a self-powered mic for some reason. Very lame because I always forget to turn it off. Now I have to keep extra batteries in the track kit. Mic is taped to my rear bumper just under the license plate and connected to the RODE in the trunk, which wirelessly connects to my helmet. You can probably skip the pricey RODE if you are just mounting anywhere else, as the lav mic has a long cord. I just don't want to deal with wires on the helmet mount.

Helmet Cam by JMG, on Flickr

Last edited by jmg; 12-24-2021 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
NYG1728.00
      12-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #70
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 comp (6 speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I have a similar setup as NYG, I believe we shared some ideas a few years ago about a good setup! I'm still on a GoPro8 however, does the GoPro9 still require all the adapters?

Anyway, here's mine:

1) GoPro8 mounted to my helmet - GoPro Mic Adapter, Vlogging Case to mount the wireless receiver and mic adapter

2) RODE Wireless Go - Wireless mic system. You will need a patch cable to connect the RODE to the GoPro adapter, but I forgot if it came with one or I bought it separately.

3) Powered Lav mic - The GoPro8 required the use of a self-powered mic for some reason. Very lame because I always forget to turn it off. Now I have to keep extra batteries in the track kit. Mic is taped to my rear bumper just under the license plate and connected to the RODE in the trunk, which wirelessly connects to my helmet. You can probably skip the pricey RODE if you are just mounting anywhere else, as the lav mic has a long cord. I just don't want to deal with wires on the helmet mount.

I just unboxed the hero 9 and a purple panther mic. The adapter is required.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 11:25 PM   #71
NYG
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
After 3 years of owning a DJI Osmo Action cam. Trying every possible combination of settings, cables, and setups. I have finally given up... Great audio is just not possible with the DAC inside this camera.

Found a great deal on a used gopro 8 with the media mod today. Went out tonight and tried out the new setup.... Wowzers. My first attempt blew any of my Osmo setups outa the water and i am beyond happy. Had 2 recent track days footage ruined by cable adapters and osmo issues. Running Laguna Seca for the first time this weekend and super pumped I will have a worthy recording setup finally.

This is just a warning. Don't buy the Osmo if you are interested in car audio. Is a super great camera, dont get me wrong.

Some of those shifts sound ridiculous! Love this.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 11:27 PM   #72
NYG
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

Anyway, here's mine:

Dude that second clip is some of the most savage audio I ever heard from an F8x.

I'm using the GP9 Media Mod with the Rode but I noticed that I get better audio quality if I connect my purple panda lav mic into the Rode input instead of using the built in mic.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #73
irokdayellup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3

New setup was great at the track this weekend. Cant really ask for much better audio without super pro gear. (gopro8/mediamod/purplepanda mic)

First time running laguna seca. Was wet then damp all day.
Appreciate 3
NYG1728.00
jmg11669.50
      12-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #74
NYG
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
New setup was great at the track this weekend. Cant really ask for much better audio without super pro gear. (gopro8/mediamod/purplepanda mic)

First time running laguna seca. Was wet then damp all day.
Yeah, there's a huge difference between this and the earlier ones you posted (which I also liked). That purple panda is the definition of value. Nice driving!
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #75
sc_tr0jan_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT

No matter how you mic up the f80, it still sounds pretty awful lol 😂

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::
Appreciate 0