Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #23
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpm3 View Post
ahh ok. i just picked up a set of AST 5200 for my m4 and trying to figure out how to run the canister to the trunk haha. i really don't want to drill a big hole but seems like that s the only option. i wish AST came with the quick connects like JRZ so we don't have to drill a big hole.
I'm sure you've installed them by now but there are two side vents in the trunk that can be used to route the canisters. The vents easily pop out and then a small notch needs to be added for the canister hose to sit in before reinstalling the vents.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #24
jeffucd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Great write up. I'm glad you're liking the coilovers. A good suspension makes for a happy driver; that's what I say.

Quick question. Did you leave the spacers on when you took it to the track?

Also, part of the overall noise in the cabin can be attributed to the RE71R. They're really loud; especially after it's been worn down even a little bit. When I mounted my spare wheels with Continental ECS on it, the noise reduction compared to the RE71R was the first thing I noticed.
Thanks, hopefully it'll help others considering the same jump.

No, I did not remove the spacers. Didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it, and I've been tracking it for about 2 years now. I'm sure it would improve the handling, but doubt that I would notice it given my skill level.

You're right about the RE71R's contributing significantly to the in-cabin road noise. Good to point out.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #25
jeffucd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicL View Post
Thanks for you detailed review on the set. I have been looking for a coilover set and doing some research recently. I am now kind of struggled to pick among KW CS2, TCKR D/A, AST 5200 and Moton 2-Way Sport. I have got some questions to ask and I wish you can give some help.

1. If I am not wrong, the way how you can use the remote canisters to adjust the set (both AST and Moton) is more convenient than most of other brands, I can't actually tell on most of pictures how you can adjust them (I guess most of them requires to take rims off???).

2. Since AST acquired Moton years ago, and now Moton is like a premium line of AST, I can't really tell the difference between AST 5200 and Moton 2-Way Sport in terms of the ways of adjustment. With around $1500 price difference, I am not sure if Moton has that much quality advanced.

3. What is the double digressive piston different from a standard one, I saw a option on the order page.

Thank you so much!!!
FYI - Drew at Sonic is who helped me to both choose and install the AST's on the car.

I'll take some pics of their work, but there are (4) total remote canisters: (2) in the engine compartment secured to the carbon fiber strut tower brace, and (2) in the trunk by the handle that releases the rear seats for dropping down. They're very easy to access and haven't gotten in the way so far. Drew has mentioned that the other control is on the shock: I haven't tried adjusting this.

I haven't been in a car with the Motons, but if I was imagining a more hardcore version of the 5200, it would be louder and less streetable. Also, likely with performance improvements I wouldn't notice.

I'd be interested in driving with someone that has the 5100 and the KWV3. Didn't really cross shop them before taking the plunge, but after living with the car for a bit, I'm not sure I'll need the adjustability and would consider going with the V3's instead if there was good savings.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #26
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I'm sure you've installed them by now but there are two side vents in the trunk that can be used to route the canisters. The vents easily pop out and then a small notch needs to be added for the canister hose to sit in before reinstalling the vents.
awesome. i will look for these side vents inside the trunk. do i need to remove the trunk liner panel to see those vents?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #27
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
awesome. i will look for these side vents inside the trunk. do i need to remove the trunk liner panel to see those vents?
Yes. The interior side panels need to be removed. Only the battery cover needs to be removed from the passenger side.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #28
Dumpspec
Major
Rep
Drives: @dumpspec

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. The interior side panels need to be removed. Only the battery cover needs to be removed from the passenger side.
awesome! i will try and do this on the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #29
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep

Quote:
awesome! i will try and do this on the weekend.
The vent covers pop out by pushing them outward from inside the trunk. There are four clips, one in each corner, of a vent. You'll also need to partially release the fender liners in the wheel wells to be able to get the canisters up to the vent holes. The vent cover has a rectangular grid of smell vents - create a single notch along an edge (side or bottom) just large enough for the hose to slide into one of the open areas of a small rectangular vent.

Have fun
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #30
stevehifi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 M3 ZCP

does anyone have pictures of the vents where you can route the canisters in the trunk?

I found a rectangular one right across the battery is that the correct one for the passenger side?
Appreciate 0