EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
sagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Exhaust decisions

Hello

I’ve been looking for the right exhaust for my f80 as the ones I narrowed down to , the owners mentioned it has drone which I want to avoid. I have a 2 year old and my wife would likely get annoyed being in the car if it’s loud.

I found mpe axle backs for sale and upon research I found you need the mpe mid pipe to make it work. Provided below in case someone needed it.

1)Front pipe, rear muffler titanium) Mpe midpipe # 18302357917
2) Fastening SEt) Connecting hardware #Part #18302409610

Based on more research I found some folks made the mpe axle back work with the stock mid pipe and resonator.

Parts options:
Brodnica (737.045 for the 45mm to 55mm reducer)

2.75 inch Flared V band
(tell him for the BMW titanium muffler)
https://www.ptbtubebending.com

And buy 2 ball sockets
from this seller on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283629817158
OR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...3-196c17b8dfc4

———————————————————-

Now for the real questions!

Has anyone successfully sourced the joining pipes and connected the mpe axle back with the stock mid pipes with resonators? How does it sound? Any drone?

I’m trying to avoid having to buy the oem mpe midpipe and not having to cut them to add AA midpipes in the future.

For the mpe axle back owners that have the new AA equal length which sounds better with no drone? Resonated or non resonated?

I saw a recent video from TommyLgarage and he used the single AA midpipe and I believe I recall him saying single is less raspy in comparison to the equal length pipes. https://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...m3-m4-mid-pipe

I thought the equal length was supposed to solve for the annoying rasp etc?

Ultimately my plan is source mpe axle back, joining parts and get an AA midpipe and get the shop to cut and weld using the stock mid pipe piece(whatever is needed to make it all work) let me know what you folks think of that plan!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Get an equal length midpipe, I have one with my MPE. As much as I like Tommy's vids and subscribe to his channel the setup is still a muffled 90's Pontiac V6.

Or don't, it's your car

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #3
sagi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
Get an equal length midpipe, I have one with my MPE. As much as I like Tommy's vids and subscribe to his channel the setup is still a muffled 90's Pontiac V6.

Or don't, it's your car
Did you get resonators with your equal length pipes? Any drone? Did it get louder than before?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

It actually got quieter in the cabin over the stock MPE until you get over 3500 RPM with open valves (I have a valve controller, valves are open unless I'm in my neighborhood late at night)

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 1
Rovie1.50
      09-25-2020, 11:49 PM   #5
omega2733
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagi View Post
Did you get resonators with your equal length pipes?

Thanks
I want to know the answer to this too! This sounds like a beast, very clean, fantastic sound when WOT.
Appreciate 0