Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #551
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNWACY View Post
I have recently installed VRSF Intercooler, charge pipes, radiator and Eventuri Cold Air Intake V2 and 2 days ago had an error message "Drive train malfunction".
I took it straight to my mechanic and scanned for error code.
The code was:
108C01 charge air temperature, plausibility: temperature too high
I've left my car with him and today we opened the intercooler reservoir and it's empty....
I've read pretty much the whole thread, is the best course of action to take out the intercooler and put it under a pressure test to see if the leak came from the intercooler?
Was the correct IC bleed performed? If not once it equalized down there would not be enough coolant there to prevent it from the errors....just curious
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 06:59 PM   #552
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Check all around the TMIC reservoir tank. I've seen the seam plastic welds look really bad in a few cases. The leak could be there.
      09-21-2020, 01:05 AM   #553
M4DNS55
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Check all around the TMIC reservoir tank. I've seen the seam plastic welds look really bad in a few cases. The leak could be there.
Will do, mechanic will pressure test the system today.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #554
HeatGun
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 335i N55

Lol, it appears that I am in the same boat.
I just bought a 2015 M4 with 93k miles about a week ago; the car had a PCV valve problem; due to the issue, I removed the valve cover and replaced it with a new one by myself; the PCV issue is resolved. Everything looked pretty clean under the valve cover; oil was clean though I noticed that the charge cooler coolant tank was empty.
The next day, I dropped off my car at my indy shop for an oil change, and I asked them to top off coolant as well. When I picked up the car, I checked the charge cooler coolant tank, and it was empty. The indy shop says that for sure, they filled up, but I did not believe it. Do you guys think the coolant can be gone while the car was sitting? If the intercooler were leaking, it wouldn't leak while the car was sitting off, right?

Anyways, I topped it off, let the car idle for 20 mins, and I haven't checked the coolant level yet. It's at my office, and I'll check it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:47 PM   #555
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatGun View Post
I just bought a 2015 M4 with 93k miles about a week ago; the car had a PCV valve problem; due to the issue, I removed the valve cover and replaced it with a new one by myself; the PCV issue is resolved. Everything looked pretty clean under the valve cover; oil was clean though I noticed that the charge cooler coolant tank was empty.
The next day, I dropped off my car at my indy shop for an oil change, and I asked them to top off coolant as well. When I picked up the car, I checked the charge cooler coolant tank, and it was empty. The indy shop says that for sure, they filled up, but I did not believe it. Do you guys think the coolant can be gone while the car was sitting? If the intercooler were leaking, it wouldn't leak while the car was sitting off, right?

Anyways, I topped it off, let the car idle for 20 mins, and I haven't checked the coolant level yet. It's at my office, and I'll check it tomorrow.
Yes it is possible that they filled it up and it's leaking. Drive the car and check the fluid every day for a week and see. A VRSF charge cooler is $450 and an affordable alternative for the piece of mind.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #556
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I can’t remember if both coolant systems are independent of each other. I believe they are but not sure if doing a bleed procedure helps anything if so.
Simple enough to do to make sure no air in system and coolant is topped off after. Then use as baseline.

There was another user that used a BT scope and looked to see if cooler was leaking.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #557
HeatGun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Yes it is possible that they filled it up and it's leaking. Drive the car and check the fluid every day for a week and see. A VRSF charge cooler is $450 and an affordable alternative for the piece of mind.
How difficult is it to replace the charge cooler? I changed the valve cover myself, took me like 4-6 hours I think. I had to remove the charge cooler from its mount bolts but did not disconnect any hoses. I guess changing the cooler is a step more than what I did already. Do I need to bleed the system after changing the cooler? Also, where is it $450? I see 550+
https://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-s55-to...0-f82-f87.html
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:16 PM   #558
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How difficult is it to replace the charge cooler? I changed the valve cover myself, took me like 4-6 hours I think. I had to remove the charge cooler from its mount bolts but did not disconnect any hoses. I guess changing the cooler is a step more than what I did already. Do I need to bleed the system after changing the cooler? Also, where is it $450? I see 550+
Apologies for my mistake, $549 is the price. To be very blunt all the charger air coolers are the same (all knocked off an original design and built in China). Installation is pretty basic if you can do the valve cover.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:24 PM   #559
HeatGun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Apologies for my mistake, $549 is the price. To be very blunt all the charger air coolers are the same (all knocked off an original design and built in China). Installation is pretty basic if you can do the valve cover.
Now I remember something, when I removed this hose shown below I saw some fluid in there, first I thought it was oil now I think it was coolant. I cleaned up all the fluid and installed it back. I'll remove it again tomorrow and see if it's wet. I assume that it needs to be bone dry, right?

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:26 PM   #560
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Now I remember something, when I removed this hose shown below I saw some fluid in there, first I thought it was oil now I think it was coolant. I cleaned up all the fluid and installed it back. I'll remove it again tomorrow and see if it's wet. I assume that it needs to be bone dry, right?

Don't mistake coolant for oil/blow-by from the pcv system
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #561
HeatGun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Don't mistake coolant for oil/blow-by from the PCV system
First I thought it was oil. Anyway, only one way to find out. I'll check the coolant level tomorrow and monitor it in the next few days. I watched the first video for charge air cooler replacement from Kies, it looks super easy and straightforward.
The M4 is very fun to drive, definitely very different than my older E93 M3 but feels like built quality is way worse than E9X series
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #562
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:
Quote:
Don't mistake coolant for oil/blow-by from the PCV system
First I thought it was oil. Anyway, only one way to find out. I'll check the coolant level tomorrow and monitor it in the next few days. I watched the first video for charge air cooler replacement from Kies, it looks super easy and straightforward.
The M4 is very fun to drive, definitely very different than my older E93 M3 but feels like built quality is way worse than E9X series
To really find out if it's leaking, remember you have to drive the car at full boost. So if you are just cruising, it probably won't leak, you have to push it a bit at full temperature.
      10-24-2020, 01:36 AM   #563
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Don't mistake coolant for oil/blow-by from the pcv system
If there's any oil blow by it would be coming up a chargepipe.

If you find any coolant in your J-pipe then you know you have a leak internal to the TMIC and it should be changed out immediately. Also look/feel/wipe up the intake and see how far the green goes.
      10-25-2020, 01:50 AM   #564
AdmiralBulldog
Rep
Drives: 2018 San Marino Blue M3 Comp

What is the typical likelihood of these intercoolers leaking at higher mileages? (50k miles plus)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:52 AM   #565
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBulldog View Post
What is the typical likelihood of these intercoolers leaking at higher mileages? (50k miles plus)
Honestly there's no set mileage they tend to leak at. They leak at all kinds of mileage as seen by this thread. Best to monitor and evaluate your situation case by case.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:55 AM   #566
AdmiralBulldog
Rep
Drives: 2018 San Marino Blue M3 Comp

Quote:
Honestly there's no set mileage they tend to leak at. They leak at all kinds of mileage as seen by this thread. Best to monitor and evaluate your situation case by case.
Thanks for the advice!

I'm in the market for a F80 M3 seeing as they are getting quite cheap second hand nowadays and all these discussions of problems on this platform (intercooler leaking, crank hub failure, numerous gasket leaks) are scary
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:59 AM   #567
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBulldog View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the advice!

I'm in the market for a F80 M3 seeing as they are getting quite cheap second hand nowadays and all these discussions of problems on this platform (intercooler leaking, crank hub failure, numerous gasket leaks) are scary
I saw a new F80 come in with a valve cover, oil pan gasket, and rear differential leak at 25k miles. Leaks are an understatement and should honestly be expected on any BMW. My guess is they make gaskets out of materials that are prone to fail so they can get get revenue when they need to be serviced.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:03 PM   #568
HeatGun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
If there's any oil blow by it would be coming up a chargepipe.

If you find any coolant in your J-pipe then you know you have a leak internal to the TMIC and it should be changed out immediately. Also look/feel/wipe up the intake and see how far the green goes.
I did not see any coolant in the J-pipe so far though charge cooler coolant tank was nearly empty when I bought the car. Refilled and nothing so far. I am monitoring it closely.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 11:37 PM   #569
HeatGun
Private
Rep

Quote:
It has been a week since I refilled the coolant tank myself and so far no leak.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:09 AM   #570
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

How did you know it was the PCV, what were the symptoms?
      10-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #571
HeatGun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
How did you know it was the PCV, what were the symptoms?
See this video

Appreciate 1
swagon13502.00
      10-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #572
M4DNS55
Private
Rep
Drives: 1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNWACY View Post
Will do, mechanic will pressure test the system today.
All ok now!

Seems like mechanic may not have bled it properly the 1st time.

Been giving the car a hard time over the last 3 weeks or so and checking coolant labels daily.

No loss at all!
Appreciate 0