Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-29-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

looking for a shop to do a crank hub solution in the North East

I am looking for a crank hub solution for my f80 6mt that is running a bm3 stage one tune while everything else is stock. I will not be taking the car further in terms of mods. Maybe i should stick to a CBC solution?

I have reached out to maximum PSI via email. Is there anyone else I should speak to? I am figuring i should get a couple options laid out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Singham14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I also bought the CBC and I'm contemplating just doing the CBC. There are a bunch of shops in NJ - Kies Motorsports, AutoCouture, etc.

I've heard Munich Motorsports in East Windsor does them too. I have a friend who got it done at EuroTech Motorsports in Natick, MA and they seem to have a good reputation and good pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
I am looking for a crank hub solution for my f80 6mt that is running a bm3 stage one tune while everything else is stock. I will not be taking the car further in terms of mods. Maybe i should stick to a CBC solution?

I have reached out to maximum PSI via email. Is there anyone else I should speak to? I am figuring i should get a couple options laid out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #3
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singham14 View Post
I also bought the CBC and I'm contemplating just doing the CBC. There are a bunch of shops in NJ - Kies Motorsports, AutoCouture, etc.

I've heard Munich Motorsports in East Windsor does them too. I have a friend who got it done at EuroTech Motorsports in Natick, MA and they seem to have a good reputation and good pricing.
isnt maximum psi the "go to" though? ID love to take it to munich (very close as i live in CT) to be honest but id rather deal with a shop thats done 30 versus 3.

Btw i dont know thats an accurate number. Its just the vibe I get.

which cbc u get?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
Singham14
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Maximum PSI stopped producing I believe but SSR Performance and Kies Motorsports updated the design to a 4-pin pinned crank hub solution. To be honest, I am not sure. Each shop promotes their own solution as the go-to solution. I've also heard Insane Performance and Gintani are good because they are one piece solutions.

Munich is indeed close to me also, but I am not sure how much experience they have. I think EuroTech Motorsports has done over 30 thus far.

I got the VTT CBC, what about you?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singham14 View Post
Maximum PSI stopped producing I believe but SSR Performance and Kies Motorsports updated the design to a 4-pin pinned crank hub solution. To be honest, I am not sure. Each shop promotes their own solution as the go-to solution. I've also heard Insane Performance and Gintani are good because they are one piece solutions.

Munich is indeed close to me also, but I am not sure how much experience they have. I think EuroTech Motorsports has done over 30 thus far.

I got the VTT CBC, what about you?
nothing yet. Honestly for this id rather find a shop and use their solution. pay the price.

These cars are ridiculous. I am not as active on the forum and especially regarding this subject. I have to tell you that the view has definitely evolved from a year ago. It now seems its not a question of if but when if running ANY tune. That certainly was NOT the generally accepted view last year. I wonder whats changed? these cars aged? a Younger more impressionable crowd owns them now that they are pretty much all used second hand cars.....no idea. but its a shocking change and freaking me out.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
matty088
Major
Rep

by the way i wonder if somehting like the VTT CBC changes the harmonics of the engine. Basically bolting a mass onto a spinning part
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
Singham14
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Not sure to be honest, will have to let other people chime in. Yeah it's hard to really understand what or how it's caused. There are people who are tuned and have no issues and then there are a few who spun stock (still seems rare but possible).

Quote:
by the way i wonder if somehting like the VTT CBC changes the harmonics of the engine. Basically bolting a mass onto a spinning part
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I have to tell you that the view has definitely evolved from a year ago. It now seems its not a question of if but when if running ANY tune. That certainly was NOT the generally accepted view last year. I wonder whats changed?
No major change in thinking, just added thoughts on protection. If you're the original owner and/or are confident your crank bolt is tight then CBC will stop a crank bolt from loosening. Some say the CBC is unnecessary since the bolt should hold (not my opinion, just being fair). That's hub-risk #1...hub bolt slip.
Now risk #2...overpowering an OEM hub friction washer...it isn't an exact known level, but consensus is problems start to appear at Stage 2 E85 with one power adder (meth, pi, turbos). The issue is people don't post-mortem spins and document much at those levels. They either eat it as part of the race game, or they put the hub in first.

Quote:
None at all. The part is lightweight and balanced anyway.
      09-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
matty088
Major
Rep

sounds like CBC is the way to go to eliminate scenario #1 from above. I am staying stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I'd take it to IMG Motorsport. Their BMW master tech is the only one working on the cars and is the most anal person you will ever meet. Designed his own tool to prevent metal shavings from the procedure escaping into the engine.
I've never seen a mechanic like that guy.

My CS' engine is stock so I won't touch the crank hub but if I were to tune it I wouldn't have any doubts.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
matty088
Major
Rep

thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #12
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

CBC is sufficient for stage 1. I would not pay more than 3 hours of labor for installation of CBC.
      09-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #13
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterF80M3 View Post
CBC is sufficient for stage 1. I would not pay more than 3 hours of labor for installation of CBC.
thanks

which CBC do u like? I only know of Vargas
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:38 AM   #14
Gunzy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I just got my car back from Eurotech in Natick. MA. Work was top notch. I had a one piece hub and CBC installed along with a new clutch and some other small maintenance items. They noticed I had some missing hardware and were kind enough to replace some bolts and gaskets for the Downpipes that I was missing.

I was completely stock when my hub spun so just know there is no rhyme or reason to why it can happen. I got lucky and had no engine damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #15
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzy View Post
I just got my car back from Eurotech in Natick. MA. Work was top notch. I had a one piece hub and CBC installed along with a new clutch and some other small maintenance items. They noticed I had some missing hardware and were kind enough to replace some bolts and gaskets for the Downpipes that I was missing.

I was completely stock when my hub spun so just know there is no rhyme or reason to why it can happen. I got lucky and had no engine damage.
I assume u spun bc the bolt backed off? any way to know?

gotchya. i think desired power levels deternubes what approach you take. Stage 1 =cbc. slap in some e85 and you need the full solution.

Someone else said that above and i agree. If anyone feels differently please chime in
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5458.50
      09-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #16
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

I had AutoCouture do my engine replacement and Gintani hub recently. I spun my hub running JB4 map 2, and DPs. No tracking, no kickdowns, etc., just aggressive commuting to work and such. I was in Efficient when it happened too. The car had been at a local shop for 6 weeks earlier in the year for collision damage and part of me wonders what kind of test driving they did to it during that time. Otherwise, it seems odd for it to have spun at such low load.

Unfortunately, I also needed a new motor. Gory details on p. 11:
Ultimate Spun Crank Hub (SCH) Poll: ALL Members Please Vote! https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1560274

As far as anybody knows, the initial insult is the bolt backing out. It can back out enough that the hub spins, but it can also back out just enough to put strain on the friction washer which then fails and leads to a spin.

AutoCouture was fantastic. They've done a ton of crank hubs, and are currently recommending the single piece Gintani. I did not do the CBC. It's probably all you need, but as some have mentioned, the bolt may have already started backing out by the time you get it done, and in that case, it could be all it takes for the friction washer to slip and cause the hub to spin. The CBC would not necessarily prevent this, although it seems unlikely, and we don't have much evidence for it.

I still say just get the CBC and forget about it.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #17
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Are you manual or DCT? My understanding is that DCT is generally more prone to CH failure than manual.

I think it's important to realize that this decision is really subjective, and depends on multiple factors.

For example, I also think you need to asses the risk based on your driving style.

For me personally, I have a 6MT, I don't get to drive the car hard that often (usually have my kids in the back), I generally don't shift (up or down) that hard (don't want to destroy my clutch) and I'm currently Stage 1 BM3 and never plan on going e85.

The combo of those factors makes me think (1) the risk in my situation is still relatively low for CH failure and (2) if it happens, I personally think it's more likely it would slip without damaging the engine, which ultimately results in the same fix.

So, I'm winging it. I'm also not thinking about it much. The only thing I would consider is the bolt capture.

Again, this is a subjective personal decision. I'm just giving you an idea of my personal thought process on the matter.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:12 AM   #18
matty088
Major
Rep

thats my thought process as well and hence why i been running stage 1 for a year withOUT a cbc.

I drive my 05 m3 hard and have fun.i am hesitant in the 16 m3. that sucks. if i can get piece of mind for a thousand bucks id do it is my thought. Its hard to know if the CBC actually doest anything though. Are there failures on other cars running one?

I think driving style has a lot to do with it. I watch these youtube channels and i see these kids absolutely mauling their cars then shortly after i see a video of them saddened bc their CH failed. I dunno. maybe its a random issue but i certainly have to think driving style increases the probability "x" amount. My car doesnt get beat on. but i still think there could be a price that makes it make sense to slap a CBC in there. especially since i am the second owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #19
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Are you manual or DCT? My understanding is that DCT is generally more prone to CH failure than manual.

I think it's important to realize that this decision is really subjective, and depends on multiple factors.

For example, I also think you need to asses the risk based on your driving style.

For me personally, I have a 6MT, I don't get to drive the car hard that often (usually have my kids in the back), I generally don't shift (up or down) that hard (don't want to destroy my clutch) and I'm currently Stage 1 BM3 and never plan on going e85.

The combo of those factors makes me think (1) the risk in my situation is still relatively low for CH failure and (2) if it happens, I personally think it's more likely it would slip without damaging the engine, which ultimately results in the same fix.

So, I'm winging it. I'm also not thinking about it much. The only thing I would consider is the bolt capture.

Again, this is a subjective personal decision. I'm just giving you an idea of my personal thought process on the matter.
I also have the same situation and mentality. Im BM3 stage 1 and did install a CBC but no plans to do crank hub.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 09:36 AM   #20
matty088
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
I also have the same situation and mentality. Im BM3 stage 1 and did install a CBC but no plans to do crank hub.
who installed your CBC

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:18 AM   #21
CoolLiving
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3

If you guys can make it to New York go to import autowerks ask for Rafi and MLife ask for Rick both shop owners are great guys do excellent work and do crank hubs daily. Tell them Matt with the pure turbo F80 sent you. Did crank hub twice and both shops took care of me.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 11:12 AM   #22
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

Quote:
who installed your CBC

thanks.
I DIYed. Normally i would go to maxpsi/bimmerclinic but i had a bad experience over there last year. Armrest got torn, cracked plastic trim and untorqued bolts holding my driveshaft center bearing causing random drivetrain vibration. I had to remove the underpanel and entire exhaust to find it was the driveshaft center bearing loose.

They said to take the car back to be looked at again but i already found the problem and fixed it. They didnt have any pics of my armrest b4 the work and dismissed my claim. I spent $1600 for labor only and they couldnt offer to replace a $20 plastic trim and $100 armrest...

Also, i sent an email about all this to them and didnt get a response. They finally replied back when i left a negative google review a month later. Bill the co owner said he was on vacation and someone was suppose to reply back to me but never did. I didnt even ask for compensation. Just wanted to let them know the "quality" work i received from whoever worked on my car.

This is just my experience with them and a lot of other ppl have been satisfied with their work.

Talk to Autocouture motoring. They are probably closer to you and look top notch. Probably have similar pricing to maxpsi/bimmerclinic too. They are a supporting vendor on this site.

Last edited by hC1001; 10-01-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0