Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #1
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Clearing out stones and debris from brake shields

Seems the rear brake shields like to pick up stones which get jammed between the rotor and shield, and it doesn't sound pleasant...

Any tips for clearing them out without taking off the wheel?

Happened twice now. First time I had the dealer sort it because no amount of shaking the brake shield would free them. Dealer said they pulled a few stones out of there. Not even sure I picked them up or if they were there from the last owner...

Second time... I think they've shaken loose as the sound stopped while driving, but I'm not totally confident in that.

Does this happen often? Anyone have a good way of dealing with it or are you usually successful in shaking them out?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
Seems the rear brake shields like to pick up stones which get jammed between the rotor and shield, and it doesn't sound pleasant...

Any tips for clearing them out without taking off the wheel?

Happened twice now. First time I had the dealer sort it because no amount of shaking the brake shield would free them. Dealer said they pulled a few stones out of there. Not even sure I picked them up or if they were there from the last owner...

Second time... I think they've shaken loose as the sound stopped while driving, but I'm not totally confident in that.

Does this happen often? Anyone have a good way of dealing with it or are you usually successful in shaking them out?
I had the exact same problem with my f80. The dealership actually ended up replacing them with newer shields. They said there was a tsb for it. You might want to ask your dealer about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Like the previous post said, there is a new brake shield for older cars (2017 and earlier). If you have a 2018 or newer then it should already have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:35 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
I had the exact same problem with my f80. The dealership actually ended up replacing them with newer shields. They said there was a tsb for it. You might want to ask your dealer about it.
Did they change out all four or just the rear shields? I don't see any part supersession in ETK for front rotor shields, the part number has been the same since 2014 for both iron brakes and CCB. There was a supersession in 2017 for rear rotor shields only.

I have scoring on all four wheel barrels, iron brakes and 18" wheels. I don't really deal with it; I just properly rinse the wheels regularly.
      06-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
Bmock17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmock17 View Post
Did they change out all four or just the rear shields? I don't see any part supersession in ETK for front rotor shields, the part number has been the same since 2014 for both iron brakes and CCB. There was a supersession in 2017 for rear rotor shields only.

I have scoring on all four wheel barrels, iron brakes and 18" wheels. I don't really deal with it; I just properly rinse the wheels regularly.
Just the rear I believe.
Appreciate 1
swagon13521.00
      06-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

Did the new brake shields help much? I found a copy of the TSB:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...46578-9999.pdf

I'll ask. I bought the car used ("CPO") so not sure if it'll still be free for me but I'll try my luck.

About to do a 1 week road trip starting this weekend though... doubt I'll be able to get this done before then because here in New Zealand they barely stock any parts and stuff always needs to be shipped from Germany. I'm sure I'll have to deal with some crap road sections.
Maybe a bent up wire coat hanger is good for poking them out? As absurd as it seems to be carrying that around to fix a high end European sports car...
Appreciate 0