ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
LRGM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 225i

(Another) Wheel Hop Thread

So I've been searching for hours to find any similar threads, but I wanted to ask about wheel hop in these cars. I have a 2015 m3 with only about 15,000 miles on it - the car has 20" wheels with older PS 295s - and the right rear tire hops massively whenever it loses traction.

I do not want to hear anything about it being driver error etc for what's causing this as I've seen a ton of threads with people stating that. The car hops the right rear tire instantly and aggressively as soon as any traction is lost, whether it be when the tires break free from a 2nd or 3rd gear roll.

My question is purely if anyone has found anything specifically that reduces this - whether it be upgraded rear suspension pieces, stiffer shocks, different spring rate etc.

I know it's a bit of a vague question, but just looking for anybody that has done a before and after test.

I know it can be due to different tire pressures and tire temps/road temps, but this car has done it with temps in the 100s to temps in the 30s.

Let me know with any advice you can!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Stiffer shocks help a lot. Try Bilstein B6 if you want to stick with stock springs. They help a lot with traction as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
LRGM3
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply - that does make sense to help control the wheel. What about bushings or anything for control arms etc? Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

That's weird, I floor my car and break traction a lot, but I've never experienced wheel hop. Maybe the wider tyres are giving you enough grip for that?
Maybe alignment and suspension needs a good look.

The diff bushing is a common failure point, it was originally a fluid filled bushing that tended to break and BMW later changed it to polyurethane. Might be the cause of your wheel hop?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Djdnav
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmatth View Post
The diff bushing is a common failure point, it was originally a fluid filled bushing that tended to break and BMW later changed it to polyurethane. Might be the cause of your wheel hop?
I had terrible wheel hop, and discovered my diff busing was torn about half way around it. After installing a dual rear bushing kit, It's much better. OP: have you inspected your rear diff bushing?
      11-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
LRGM3
Private
Rep

I actually havent inspected that but I certainly will now. It really does feel like there's play somewhere there - so I'll do some more investigating and report back.

Thanks again for the input
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Are you tuned? I had horrible wheel hop with my first tune until I switched to bootmod3. Also, have you done any differential coding? If not you should, it's a lot less intrusive.
      12-17-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
LRGM3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahbatage View Post
Are you tuned? I had horrible wheel hop with my first tune until I switched to bootmod3. Also, have you done any differential coding? If not you should, it's a lot less intrusive.
Yes I actually have the BM3. I wasnt even aware you could code the diffs on these cars - I figured they were just a static LSD. What does the coding change in the LSD exactly?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #9
Sahbatage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 IR BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRGM3 View Post
Quote:
Yes I actually have the BM3. I wasnt even aware you could code the diffs on these cars - I figured they were just a static LSD. What does the coding change in the LSD exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRGM3 View Post
Quote:
I'm not super knowledgeable to be honest, just learn as I read from other members or vendors who know what they're talking about. I can't say what the coding changes but I would describe the feeling afterwards, was it would allow the tires to slip more while still allowing you to get on the throttle. When I experienced all the wheel hop it felt like the car would just cut the power on and off instead of shifting the torque between wheels.

Since you are tuned I definitely recommend getting it done. If you didn't know, you can also get your steering coded and your suspension coded if you have EDC. I have a 2016, the CS steering coding was an improvement for sure. I don't have EDC so I can't comment but from what others have said it's an improvement as well. Essentially turn your 2015 into a 2017+
      12-24-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
LRGM3
Private
Rep

Very interesting all around I’ll have to look into this stuff - thanks for the heads up. I’m gonna try a few different things this spring and I’ll report back on any changes!
Appreciate 0