BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #1299
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Btw!! I sold my M3 and purchased a Model Y performance! Woohoo!

Now the wait is killing me.
That’s gonna be a big change, but I’ll bet you’ll enjoy it. Congratulations!

Have you received a delivery date estimate yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 07:37 AM   #1300
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
I actually just saw that you responded to my post in the tesla forums! No wonder your name Sounded familiar. Your post was the impetus to look into buying it! See you in the other forum!
Good for you, congrats! Hopefully you used the referral link from your neighbor when you made the purchase.
Appreciate 1
jpy19801578.00
      07-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #1301
djise
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 G29

Tesla's acceleration is great, but the rest is quite worse than any M-model.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #1302
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djise View Post
Thanks for adding value here
      07-27-2021, 03:45 PM   #1303
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
Theres always a trade and the same can be said vice versa. At this point in my life, the Tesla offered me more than I could get with my F80. In a perfect world, I'd have both cars...Actually in a perfect world, I'd live in a mansion with a bunch of non aging naked super models and never leave the house...one can always dream.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 06:55 AM   #1304
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
for a 5 seats family car that is 95-100% street only, I definitely think there isn’t a better car. 0-100mph the acceleration potential is great, the driver assist features are best that’s available today, and you can do stuff like watch tv while getting takeout

for max happiness, pair model 3P or model YP with a gas sports car!!
Do you guys know how the model Y does on Canyon runs? I doubt I’m gonna track my cars as much anymore but I do like to go on Canyon Drive with my friends early in the morning.

I think I actually like the looks of the model y more than the model three
We have a MY Performance since Dec 2020. We've taken it to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah (near us) multiple times on family trips. It is super fun to drive, the handling is really great. The instant power and acceleration, flat cornering and braking are pretty impressive for any SUV. Not to mention that you can haul a lot of gear as well.

We were expecting a bunch of fit and finish type issues, but ours has none. The seats are comfortable, the tech works very well (don't have FSD for now) and interior space is excellent for it's size. JMHO.
Appreciate 2
ZCD1204.00
PhatLyfe984.00
      08-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #1305
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
, but I'm also a bear when it comes to FSD, autonomous driving, etc and wouldn't use them. Also, there's no Tesla I'd consider, but then I don't need a daily driver for family duty short hops - if I did a model Y seems like the right buy vs a mini-van.
Haha yea, it really should be marketed as “distance maintaining cruise control with lane centering assist”

If you keep the capability limits in mind and have a commute with traffic on marked roads, it’s super helpful.

Keep waiting as long as it takes to get yourself comfortable. the tech will get better and better and more manuf will pile in and boundaries will be pushed, for our (consumer) benefit.

And in meantime get some of the super powered gas cars and trucks while they exist
Tesla's standard auto pilot is pretty good without FSD. We don't have FSD. From my experience the Tesla's standard Auto pilot is as good if not better than BMW's TJA etc. It works at all speeds and is much smoother. IMHO.

FSD is very much a beta for early adopters.
Appreciate 1
ZCD1204.00
      08-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #1306
milk242
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
, but I'm also a bear when it comes to FSD, autonomous driving, etc and wouldn't use them. Also, there's no Tesla I'd consider, but then I don't need a daily driver for family duty short hops - if I did a model Y seems like the right buy vs a mini-van.
Haha yea, it really should be marketed as "distance maintaining cruise control with lane centering assist"

If you keep the capability limits in mind and have a commute with traffic on marked roads, it's super helpful.

Keep waiting as long as it takes to get yourself comfortable. the tech will get better and better and more manuf will pile in and boundaries will be pushed, for our (consumer) benefit.

And in meantime get some of the super powered gas cars and trucks while they exist
Tesla's standard auto pilot is pretty good without FSD. We don't have FSD. From my experience the Tesla's standard Auto pilot is as good if not better than BMW's TJA etc. It works at all speeds and is much smoother. IMHO.

Yes the full auto pilot is currently not worth it, I still don't trust auto lane change during navigation unless it's a fairly empty highway and when it takes interchanges, it's super slow (it's been improving on that though). And don't even get me started on smart summon (which sucks).
20 Tesla Model 3
23 Audi R8 (on order, never came )
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #1307
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:

I'm sorry but the auto pilot is trash, at least on my 2021 M3P with "TeslaVision." These guys get wayyy too much credit for their adaptive cruise and auto steer functions. I get phantom braking all the time, both minor (2mph change) and major (10-25mph change), it will randomly pick up the wrong speed limit and then you're limited to whatever that number is, and it will completely freak out going over hills. I just did five "bug reports" on my way to work which is on a wide, straight, and flat country road. My experience with the German and Japanese (haven't tried Koreans yet), specifically Nissan of recent, have been much better. Sometimes it works well but it's too inconsistent to be called great IMO.

Otherwise it's a nice car that is quite and handles great around town.

ZCP - Daily Driven Trackster ~ Gone but not Forgotten
1LE - Track Rubber & Garage Dust Collector
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #1308
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
I'm sorry but the auto pilot is trash, at least on my 2021 M3P with "TeslaVision." These guys get wayyy too much credit for their adaptive cruise and auto steer functions. I get phantom braking all the time, both minor (2mph change) and major (10-25mph change), it will randomly pick up the wrong speed limit and then you're limited to whatever that number is, and it will completely freak out going over hills. I just did five "bug reports" on my way to work which is on a wide, straight, and flat country road. My experience with the German and Japanese (haven't tried Koreans yet), specifically Nissan of recent, have been much better. Sometimes it works well but it's too inconsistent to be called great IMO.

Calling AP trash based on your singular experience is a huge stretch. My 2021 MYP is pre "TeslaVision" and while not perfect, AP works just fine for me. I used it extensively on two longer drives and there were a couple of instances of phantom braking but nothing unacceptable. The reality is: we're a ways off from realizing fully autonomous driving systems. I don't care what Elon Musk says. It's not "right around the corner". He's been saying that for several years and the Tesla fan boys believe him.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #1309
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk242 View Post
Yes the full auto pilot is currently not worth it, I still don't trust auto lane change during navigation unless it's a fairly empty highway and when it takes interchanges, it's super slow (it's been improving on that though). And don't even get me started on smart summon (which sucks).
It's FSD not "full auto pilot"
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #1310
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You're talking about FSD. Not auto pilot. Kinda makes me doubt your story. I have a MY w/o FSD. Autopilot works as well as any driver assisted cruise control I have seen.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:03 AM   #1311
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
Calling AP trash based on your singular experience is a huge stretch. My 2021 MYP is pre "TeslaVision" and while not perfect, AP works just fine for me. I used it extensively on two longer drives and there were a couple of instances of phantom braking but nothing unacceptable. The reality is: we're a ways off from realizing fully autonomous driving systems. I don't care what Elon Musk says. It's not "right around the corner". He's been saying that for several years and the Tesla fan boys believe him.
I may have used the wrong word there, but I literally wrote that after my drive into work when I was experiencing the issues mentioned above. TBH I wish my car still had the radar systems, but hopefully they can improve the vision-only systems as time goes on.

Quote:
You're talking about FSD. Not auto pilot. Kinda makes me doubt your story. I have a MY w/o FSD. Autopilot works as well as any driver assisted cruise control I have seen.
No I'm not, it's regular ole auto pilot. I could care less if anyone doubts my story, what do I have to lose here? I could easily post youtube videos of these exact issues but I don't need to since there are already videos like that online. It works great sometimes but a lot of times it's doesn't. I honestly cringe when people are behind me tail-gating because you never know when these cars will slam on the brakes. I've only put 1.6k miles on it so far so hopefully I can continue to adapt my driving style to better utilize the systems.

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #1312
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
. It works great sometimes but a lot of times it's doesn't. I honestly cringe when people are behind me tail-gating because you never know when these cars will slam on the brakes. I've only put 1.6k miles on it so far so hopefully I can continue to adapt my driving style to better utilize the systems.
Congrats on your new car man. My $0.02, don’t trust FSD or AP until you have seen it perform on the same road at different times of the day. I always have both hands on the wheel and my feet covering the brake when using those systems in a new situation.

It’s been over 58k mile with my car and the driver assist has been a huge help on long freeway trips, and I’ve gotten use to where I need to take over on my usual around town spots.

All that being said, YOU never know when your car will slam on the brakes but for me I know it’s when there is a shadow across the road (like driving into an underpass), an upcoming road merge, a car moving erratically within its lane in front of me, a large semi truck or bus. Especially when there is no car in front of me for the computer to mimic.

Hopefully FSD will become truly autonomous level 5 before you get to that level of “workaround knowledge” but guess we’ll see
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #1313
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on your new car man. My $0.02, don’t trust FSD or AP until you have seen it perform on the same road at different times of the day. I always have both hands on the wheel and my feet covering the brake when using those systems in a new situation.

It’s been over 58k mile with my car and the driver assist has been a huge help on long freeway trips, and I’ve gotten use to where I need to take over on my usual around town spots.

All that being said, YOU never know when your car will slam on the brakes but for me I know it’s when there is a shadow across the road (like driving into an underpass), an upcoming road merge, a car moving erratically within its lane in front of me, a large semi truck or bus. Especially when there is no car in front of me for the computer to mimic.

Hopefully FSD will become truly autonomous level 5 before you get to that level of “workaround knowledge” but guess we’ll see
Thanks Nick! I agree with a lot of your comments too. Also, I'm excited to see how she does on the race track with light mods

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #1314
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Thanks Nick! I agree with a lot of your comments too. Also, I'm excited to see how she does on the race track with light mods

What’s “light mods” to you? Control arms, full coilovers, cup 2 and different brake pads?

It’s gonna be great for what it is (4000lb sedan) and will be a lot of fun even stock. I only took mine to sonoma once and I had a blast. Had to drive 20min away to use a SC but was able to do all my sessions without missing time.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #1315
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What’s “light mods” to you? Control arms, full coilovers, cup 2 and different brake pads?

It’s gonna be great for what it is (4000lb sedan) and will be a lot of fun even stock. I only took mine to sonoma once and I had a blast. Had to drive 20min away to use a SC but was able to do all my sessions without missing time.
To get it where it needs to be, probably quite a few mods. APRacing BBK, 19inch wheels, FUCAs, and coilovers. Haven't bought anything yet though outside of PPF.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 09:49 AM   #1316
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Any thoughts on the new 4680 battery architecture? I want to pull the trigger on an MYP/M3P but I have the luxury of waiting and wouldn't want to miss out on the new batteries.
      08-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #1317
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Any thoughts on the new 4680 battery architecture? I want to pull the trigger on an MYP/M3P but I have the luxury of waiting and wouldn't want to miss out on the new batteries.
https://electrek.co/2021/07/26/tesla...ll-production/
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:52 PM   #1318
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Tesla's standard AP is better than anything that ANY other automaker has released in 95% of the situations. Far from perfect, but still better. The only exception to that statement would be Caddy's super cruise, but that only works really well on a few pre-scanned highways.

Every other OEM that relies on MobilEye/Intel tech, is stuck behind.

Quote:
FSD is worth, maybe, +$1K to me in its present state of functionality. $500 for auto-park and remote control, and $500 for lane change and exit taking on the highways.
Clearly, Elon and I don't agree on that valuation, by an order of magnitude. So he doesn't get my $1K.

FSD take rate has steadily been falling over the past few years, and is now down to 11% of total sales:
https://insideevs.com/news/530307/su...fsd-take-rate/

Quote:
Not exactly.
Any Tesla is, realistically, a better daily driver. That advantage is represented by better acceleration, better tech, MUCH better audio, and MUCH lower cost of operation (~1/5th that of my F80).

Most ///M cars are still better track toys (lower weight, and easier access to energy refills at most tracks), and are significantly easier on the tires and brakes (+800 lbs will do that).

In terms of brand appeal - to each his own.
But if you ask my kids: Tesla >> bike >> bimmer.

a
Appreciate 1
IS350117.00
      12-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #1319
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Tesla's Full Self Driving Advantage:

I've enjoyed the perspectives since starting this thread. I'm also eager to see how the new i4 M50 compares.

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/all-.../overview.html

After 3+ years of Tesla ownership, I'm now beta testing the very latest Tesla FSD, Full Self Driving. It's still a work in progress, but essentially, the car drives me to and from work, with no interventions. I'm eager to see what this means for the future.

Best of all, this simple OTA update is how it all started.

Tesla FSD (Full Self Driving) Beta request Button is LIVE.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:40 PM   #1320
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Just a quick update!

I’ve had my 21 Model Y Performance since August 21 and I love it. It’s fast as balls and serves what I need in life right now with two young kids. Do I miss the M, sure, but I’ll get the EV M when it comes out haha. I never thought how awesome it would be to have the ability to never worry about range since I installed a 220v plug in my garage. So convenient.

Anyways, on a side note, I’ve always took my F80 to European Auto Source and it was a secret “goal” of mine to get photos of my car taken after an install, but nothing was special enough.

Oddly, I found out that they started to support Teslas and the mod bug hit again. Contacted Tom/Kevin and got some wheels and a drop. Finally they took pictures of my car….my Tesla. Haha. Still reppin’ my Bimmer fam as I got Apex wheels! Haha.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6382426/
Appreciate 2
tom @ eas8065.00
Suds1595.50