Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
fc48
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Ceramic brakes and track, what are the possibilites

Hello,

I have a BMW M2 CS, manual, with ceramic brakes same size as M4.
I tracked the car once and it was awesome and I plan to track it quite a lot.

I like ceramic brakes and want to keep them. I know a lot about those brakes (no saying I know everything) and tracking them, so yes I am going to cook them quickly and replacement from BMW is not an option because of price and durability. So today I 'am thinking of the possibilities, so far :

- Refurbishment of original discs from rebrake.de : Not an option too because rebrake has very very bad reputation those days. See testimonials on their google page for example but same on brands forums (rennlist for Porsche for example)

- Ceramic rotors from surface transforms : They would need several buyers to launch a batch for our cars because unfortunately BMW is not a brand they do yet

- Purchase brakes for another car from surface transforms :
Our brakes are 400x38 front and 380x28 rear
Front Ferrari 488 Pista brakes are 398x38 so maybe it could work but would need to machine a custom mounting bell to match hubs

For the rear the cloosest would be 380x34, so thicker....:/

Surface transforms brakes seems better, cheaper and would last longer, so I really would like those.

Here are my questions :
- Is there anyone that track his car with ceramics and has come to a solution ? (not putting irons)
- What do you think about wrong sizes brakes to fit on our cars technically ?

Please this is not a post to start a debate about ceramics vs irons.

I know I could fit some irons but with some penalties :
Weight (Would I feel it ? I don't know)
Brake dust
Brake fade (but can be avoided with a good aftermarket kit)

So really looking forward to a solution with ceramics.

Sorry for my english, not native speaker.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #2
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

If you plan on tracking a lot, CCBs will become cost prohibitive. Throw on a set of Girodiscs (with the CCBs to iron conversion), track pads and enjoy.

May I ask why you insist on using CCB solutions for heavy tracking?

I don't think you'll notice the weight much since the M2 isn't really a light car. Brake dust will be heavy with iron rotors and track pads. Brake fade won't be a problem when using track pads and Castrol SRF.
      09-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
fc48
Registered
Rep

Thanks for trying to help but as I said I like them for their advantages even if some are going to say it's not worth it. To me it is.

What is the weight difference of a disc with girodiscs ? (I have those on my 996 GT3 and they are great)

Still looking for a ceramic solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

If you have your heart set on CCB for track use, once they get worn call these guys as its their bread and butter, good luck.
https://www.rebrake.de/en/
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Weight of the steeldiscs will definately be noticed. The difference in weight is crazy, 6,7 kg's (14,7 pounds) on ONE front disc. I had the 400mm steeldiscs on my car but i didn't like it at all so i put on ceramics the week after.
if i would buy steeldiscs i would look for a lightweight set from AP racing for example, not the OEM 400mm discs. They destroy the handling of the car too much. The unsprung weight difference with ceramic discs is arond 40 pounds.

Last edited by M 4 FUN; 10-04-2021 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
fc48
Registered
Rep

I totally agree with this. I checked what would be the difference in weight thinking maybe it's not too bad but definitely not. I want to keep ceramics.

I am going to buy surface transforms discs for Ferrari Pista and work on a custom hat
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
M 4 FUN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320 Si, M4 comp. M3 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc48 View Post
I totally agree with this. I checked what would be the difference in weight thinking maybe it's not too bad but definitely not. I want to keep ceramics.

I am going to buy surface transforms discs for Ferrari Pista and work on a custom hat
Ok. Do you know the prices for the surface transforms discs?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #8
fc48
Registered
Rep

Something like 5000£ for fronts, I can give you the precise price soon, I asked for a quotation so I can send the wire transfer. Can't wait to have them, I'll have the winter to work on custom hat.

I think rear are 3000£ but I am buying only fronts for now. Rear will be another story, same diameter but ST discs thicker and still have to make custom hat too.
Appreciate 0