Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-18-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

My M4 seems to be sitting lower than it should and noticed rear bump stops are fubar

After installing Macht Schnell springs the car is sitting much lower than I had imagined. Is this sitting lower than others with MS springs have witnessed or does it mean there might be problem with the install?

Also while lifting the car today I noticed the rear bump stops and dust boot are completely disintegrated on both sides. Aside from replacing the bump stop and boot (not sure how much effort that will be) is that anything to be overly concerned with? Is this a common issue? Can it wait or is this something that needs immediate attention?

Thanks.
Attached Images

2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 09:17 PM   #2
DLag30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3 & F36

I believe the MS springs come with spacers for the rear springs when installed on a m3. I'd pop those on to compensate for the extra weight the Cabriolet carries. I had MS springs before and the rear height was pretty close the the front height.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLag30 View Post
I believe the MS springs come with spacers for the rear springs when installed on a m3. I'd pop those on to compensate for the extra weight the Cabriolet carries. I had MS springs before and the rear height was pretty close the the front height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLag30 View Post
Ok thanks. Might try that. The guide said to only use it on the M3 so i left them. The spacer is only like 4-5mm so I'm not expecting them to make a huge difference but worth a shot.

Any thoughts about the busted dust cover and whether those are a big deal or just ignore them?
2002 M5 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
DLag30
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80M3 & F36

I would def replace the bumpstops while installing the spacers. The bumpstops play a large role in suspension behavior. There should be a total of 4 spacers for the springs, one sits between the body and the spring cup, and another between the spring cup and the spring/rubber isolator.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
After installing Macht Schnell springs the car is sitting much lower than I had imagined. Is this sitting lower than others with MS springs have witnessed or does it mean there might be problem with the install?

Also while lifting the car today I noticed the rear bump stops and dust boot are completely disintegrated on both sides. Aside from replacing the bump stop and boot (not sure how much effort that will be) is that anything to be overly concerned with? Is this a common issue? Can it wait or is this something that needs immediate attention?

Thanks.
Jeezus. I've never seen bump stops disintegrate like that. It looks disturbingly comical how it's hanging off the dust boot. Yeah, you definitely need to replace those. As DLag30 said, they play a crucial part of the suspension. They act like the last defense by absorbing the kinetic energy of high compression situations that would cause the suspension to bottom out. If they're FUBAR'd like this, you'll feel those hits go directly through the chassis into your butt dyno.
Appreciate 1