Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

06-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #1
jshahm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 1998 ZCP Toyota Camry

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Exclamation lease turn-in predicament during pandemic

my dealership is taking appointments only right now for lease turn-in due to the pandemic. here's the problem: the soonest they had available was 10 days past the turn-in due date, which is 3 days past the grace period. in addition, the registration is due within that period, which is over 600 dollars. so not only is registration on my hands, but i will also have to front another month's lease payment.

it's several hours before any BMW lots are open right now for me to check on their current stances, but a couple months ago to see about lease turn-in, a neighborhood dealer informed me that i can only turn the car in at the original dealership. if i am unable to secure a turn-in with another dealer before the registration due date and before the grace period deadline, what do you suggest i do? i was thinking of at least filing as PNO (Planned Non Operational) with the DMV, which is a marginal fee, but BMW FS says the dealer would not accept the car if the registration is not paid. however, i'm not sure how the dealer would even be able to verify this especially if i sent the non-op payment via check to the DMV, and given covid, the soonest the DMV would likely have anything electronically updated in their database would be a week or so later?). if there is no way out of being able to turn the car in before the grace period, i was considering posting the car on Turo for recouping, but this seems laden with risk for repairs and more headache.

i have until 7/2 till registration is due and 7/5 until the grace period ends. the car was already pre-inspected on 6/3. please advise.

Last edited by jshahm; 06-29-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshahm View Post
my dealership is taking appointments only right now for lease turn-in due to the pandemic. here's the problem: the soonest they had available was 10 days past the turn-in due date, which is 3 days past the grace period. in addition, the registration is due within that period, which is over 600 dollars. so not only is registration on my hands, but i will also have to front another month's lease payment.

it's several hours before any BMW lots are open right now for me to check on their current stances, but a couple months ago to see about lease turn-in, a neighborhood dealer informed me that i can only turn the car in at the original dealership. if i am unable to secure a turn-in with another dealer before the registration due date and before the grace period deadline, what do you suggest i do? i was thinking of at least filing as PNO (Planned Non Operational) with the DMV, which is a marginal fee, but BMW FS says the dealer would not accept the car if the registration is not paid. however, i'm not sure how the dealer would even be able to verify this especially if i sent the non-op payment via check to the DMV, and given covid, the soonest the DMV would likely have anything electronically updated in their database would be a week or so later?). if there is no way out of being able to turn the car in before the grace period, i was considering posting the car on Turo for recouping, but this seems laden with risk for repairs and more headache.

i have until 7/2 till registration is due and 7/5 until the grace period ends. the car was already pre-inspected on 6/3. please advise.
You can turn the car into any dealership not just the one you got it from, so start calling every dealer close to you and see what they have.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
I've heard of this happening. You should be able to compel them into either giving you additional grace days or take the car back sooner. It should not be your problem if BMW can't take the car back now. Read an article about this happening with MB lease returns

This is my opinion, but what would make sense to me.

Also a few points -
You can return the car to any BMW dealer as stated above
You won't pay a full month's lease payment, you will pay the payment then be credited the days you don't have the car.
I believe registration and insurance works the same way but contact your DMV and find out.

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Have you spoken with BMWNA or BMWFS about your concerns?
Interesting times we live in. Wonder if the dealer just doesn’t want to hassle with having another vehicle sit on their lot and go through the disinfectant process?
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
jshahm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
I've heard of this happening. You should be able to compel them into either giving you additional grace days or take the car back sooner. It should not be your problem if BMW can't take the car back now. Read an article about this happening with MB lease returns

This is my opinion, but what would make sense to me.

Also a few points -
You can return the car to any BMW dealer as stated above
You won't pay a full month's lease payment, you will pay the payment then be credited the days you don't have the car.
I believe registration and insurance works the same way but contact your DMV and find out.
Thanks for the feedback re: lease payment and reg.

Two of the next closest BMW dealers stated that they are not taking cars that did not originate at their lot due to being at capacity. I have to head out to work now, but given the covid squeeze and glut of inventory likely everywhere, I don't forsee any dealer looking to intake more inventory.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshahm View Post
Thanks for the feedback re: lease payment and reg.

Two of the next closest BMW dealers stated that they are not taking cars that did not originate at their lot due to being at capacity. I have to head out to work now, but given the covid squeeze and glut of inventory likely everywhere, I don't forsee any dealer looking to intake more inventory.
I’d take that message up to BMWFS since it’s contractual.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #7
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Cali must be different and have strange rules. I would have bmw accept the car late without a penny coming out of my pocket. Not my problem they can’t fit me in. I would show up a day or two before on their lot if they refuse.
Registration, I wouldnt renew either. Id take a plate off my other car for the drive to the dealer and take it off once I arrived at the lot. But I’m in NY. GL keep us updated. I’m curious.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #8
visi107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Cali must be different and have strange rules. I would have bmw accept the car late without a penny coming out of my pocket. Not my problem they can’t fit me in. I would show up a day or two before on their lot if they refuse.
Registration, I wouldnt renew either. Id take a plate off my other car for the drive to the dealer and take it off once I arrived at the lot. But I’m in NY. GL keep us updated. I’m curious.
Easy to say that . . . i'm not being critical in OP in any way so don't take this the wrong way but how long ago does one know the lease will end on a particular day? (obviously a rhetorical question)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #9
TurboSid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4Cx BSM/FR

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by visi107 View Post
Easy to say that . . . i'm not being critical in OP in any way so don't take this the wrong way but how long ago does one know the lease will end on a particular day? (obviously a rhetorical question)
Huh?

The car is due back on X date. the local dealer is not available to take the car back that day, how is OP responsible for that?

2022 BSM/FR M4 Competition X-Drive
2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [SOLD] • 2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] • 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
jshahm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
So I said f it, and had a salesman-type friend take the car in for me two days ago and the lease manager told us to not worry about the grace period overage nor the past due registration. But this was just his word.

Then BMW FS called me yesterday asking me why my car hasn't been turned in. I relayed the whole situation and what the dealer told me. They told me that the dealer should have taken the car in on the due date and should not be delaying the car's return. They said they will extend the grace period to the 7/8 return date that the dealer assigned me and confirmed that registration can be ignored, and that if the dealer does something like this again when I try to turn in the car, I can call BMW FS. So basically I got BMW FS on my side, and everything is forgiven and extended until the 8th.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

That's kind of crazy. I would drop the car off at the dealership and let them know I can come down on any day they want as far as appointment is concerned, but the car is out of my possession at the lease end. They can tow it if they want and the dealership/BMWFS can work it out... not mine anymore -- they'd get the middle finger.