Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #419
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but this sib simply changes the steering programming to counteract the tendency to pull right correct? So if I had the "pull to the right" issue but my alignment was in spec there is really no harm being done, just a slight annoyance? No harm meaning the car will perform and tires will wear as intended because alignment is what actually affects these aspects and not the steering programming. Is my thinking correct?
According to a friend of mine who knows a lot more about cars than I do. If the issue is not rectified, then it will cause extra wear on the edges of the tire because even if the car is driving straight when you are holding the steering wheel, there is some sort of force that you are counteracting to make it go straight which in turn will cause extra and uneven wear on the tires. Correct me if I'm wrong people.
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:17 AM   #420
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Only time will tell. Bottom line is this "fix" corrects some "unknown" or "unreported" force that makes our cars pull right. In my case, I did all that I could to get my alignment not only within spec, but dead perfect and car continued to pull. At its worst, mine would pull to the right even when alignment spec was set to force the car to pull left. On left hand road crown, the car would still pull right.

The fact is the EPS update corrected it so something within the EPS must have been way out of whack on some of our cars. We will need to depend on those that daily their cars and have this fix to see if tire wear will be an issue. My guess is it will not be since, as you pointed out, the alignment geometry is what determine this and for me, I no longer feel the need to force the steering in one direction or another. Smooth both left and right whereas before, I could definitely say I had to apply constant left input and turning right seemed much easier than turning left.
Yea good points. My car pulls to the right as well but I would rather not take it in for an update which will erase some of the coding I have if it only corrects the sensation of the car wanting to go right and does not impact performance and/or tire wear.
Appreciate 1
tuan40918.00
      11-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #421
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywham View Post
please report back if you do. Thanks
Finally had some time to do some coding on my car and tested switching back to default EPS value for my F80.

Sure enough, the slop at center of wheel came back and the car once again pulled/drifted right on a known flat stretch of road. Flipped it back to F80_rep and all is good again. Didn't have time to test GTS coding, but will do that next time I have some free time to test.
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #422
tonywham
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadZarBMR View Post
Finally had some time to do some coding on my car and tested switching back to default EPS value for my F80.

Sure enough, the slop at center of wheel came back and the car once again pulled/drifted right on a known flat stretch of road. Flipped it back to F80_rep and all is good again. Didn't have time to test GTS coding, but will do that next time I have some free time to test.
Thanks for reporting back. Wait to hear the result of GTS coding. So if the GTS EPS works fine, and the car goes straight, can we conclude that the default EPS software on our cars is defective? Hard to believe though...
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #423
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I was growing pretty frustrated with my new to me F82 pulling to the right. Got 3 alignments done at different reputable shops but nothing helped. Was thinking it was going to need some suspension parts like others have done but my local BMW dealership did a software update to the steering and the car tracks perfectly now. I was a bit skeptical when my SA said he thought a software update would help, but I stand corrected. Car drives so much better now as I am not constantly fighting the right pull.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #424
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

When you guys are having these cars aligned, is the alignment shop resetting the steering angle sensor or initializing EPS? If not, that will often cause these cars to pull badly. The electronic power steering in this car will try to help you drive straight by applying pressure to center itself, if your alignment was off and you have the car aligned, the steering wheel centering will change so now the EPS is pushing you away from what is actually centered because it doesn't know any better.

I have played around with aligning my own F80 M3 and previous F30 340i a bunch of times (perks of working at a shop with an alignment rack and ISTA software) and the car will pull hard to one side (not always to the right, it depends which way your steering wheel was off before the alignment) until you go through the procedure in ISTA or another diagnostic computer (we've had good results using Durametric as well) to center not only the steering angle sensor which more basic tools can do but to run through basic set up of the Electronic Power Steering system.

I can't say too much about this but I was involved with helping a friend gather information during his case against BMW, he tried to sue them for his M4 constantly pulling like this and lost the case but it seems to me that even some dealerships are skipping these steps and just doing a mechanical four wheel alignment and returning the car to the customer.

I have tried the F80_rep coding and M4 GTS coding, both of these settings worked great when initially coded but the problem re-appeared after I had to align the car again. Aligning the car mechanically and then running through EPS initial set up seems to be the ticket to always ending up with the car driving straight without the steering wheel feeling like it wants to turn on its own.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2019, 01:37 AM   #425
sapuro
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I've been reading through many of the posts about the eps repair for the pulling to right issue; I need some more clarification!

1. Seems like some ppl are experiencing pulling to the right with the GTS eps, including myself, has the gts eps not been "repaired"? I'm on 4.15.12 (Pdz....)

2. Is the f87cs eps M2CS or M3CS or M4CS? I also read somewhere that the M3CS eps = ZCP eps but the M4CS eps is different than ZCP eps. I guess what I'm trying to get at is if the esp different for all 3 models (ZCP vs CS vs GTS)?

3. If f87cs is M2CS eps, does that matter? Can I use that in my F80 M3 ZCP?

4. Does the F87cs eps include the "repair"? I would think so since the M2CS/M3CS came out 2018+? Software should be the latest

Thanks! AHHHHHH lol
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #426
ericsbestshot
Private
Rep
Drives: none

my 20015 m4 pulled to the right when i first claimed ownership. BMW dealer did an alignment check and found nothing wrong. Then they proceeded to do a software update. All is well for the past 20k miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #427
MDOC
MDOC
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe

My 2015 M4 has the same veering to the right symptom, however when I've mentioned the software update(s) as a possible fix he says there isn't an update available for my MY. Why would he deny that this update exists? Are early 2015s excluded?
      11-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #428
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDOC View Post
My 2015 M4 has the same veering to the right symptom, however when I've mentioned the software update(s) as a possible fix he says there isn't an update available for my MY. Why would he deny that this update exists? Are early 2015s excluded?
Nope, they are not excluded. My 15 is one of the first off the production line, there was an update forit.

Never had the pulling to the right issue, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #429
MDOC
MDOC
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe

So if there's an update available but my SA says no what's my recourse?
      11-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #430
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Go to another dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #431
sapuro
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Just an update, i recently had my car coded to the GTS steering, it started pulling to the right. I then had it coded to the M3cs steering and it's straight again. It was also straight with the regular f80 steering. Some people had the gts steering straight so maybe there's a variation in parts or something in certain batches of cars including my own that cause it to pull right I dunno

Pdz 4.15.12
2018 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 07:46 AM   #432
BitchinManWheels
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M4, Z4, X5, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDOC View Post
I have a '15 and it had a severe pull to right problem. Did full DINAN suspension and multiple alignment AND tire swaps. No go.
Full software upgrade fixed it about 2 years ago. Not GTS or CS, just upgraded to currency F8x. I paid out of pocket and it took all day to get every bit upgraded correctly.
It would still be pulling if I didn't have a guy determined to fix it!
      01-06-2020, 07:51 PM   #433
sna66
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

can this only be done by the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #434
DavidStr
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

March 2018 M4.Car runs straight without issues.
Even at 160 miles per hour I can literally hold the wheel with 2 fingers...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #435
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

2014 m4, I am having this issue for a long time and I was tinking it is normal. so you guys say there is actually a solution for this? software update?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #436
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitchinManWheels View Post
I have a '15 and it had a severe pull to right problem. Did full DINAN suspension and multiple alignment AND tire swaps. No go.
Full software upgrade fixed it about 2 years ago. Not GTS or CS, just upgraded to currency F8x. I paid out of pocket and it took all day to get every bit upgraded correctly.
It would still be pulling if I didn't have a guy determined to fix it!
Sadly the actual time it takes to update the cars software is like 5 mins haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:01 AM   #437
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Sadly the actual time it takes to update the cars software is like 5 mins haha.
I'm late to the party but do you actually know how long it takes to install SIB 32 01 17? If it's no longer than 30 min I would gladly wait at the dealer till it's done. Unfortunately, my M4 has been having this issue since last year and they've said that "everything is up to date" but my BMW dealer is not the best dealer by any means.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #438
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBobby Jr View Post
I'm late to the party but do you actually know how long it takes to install SIB 32 01 17? If it's no longer than 30 min I would gladly wait at the dealer till it's done. Unfortunately, my M4 has been having this issue since last year and they've said that "everything is up to date" but my BMW dealer is not the best dealer by any means.
It's not how long it takes them to do the work. It's everything else they got going on. I've never been in and out of a dealership service dept in less than 2 hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #439
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

Will be having the dealership check out the car for the third time here soon, and hopefully this time they fix it. If not, will do a GTS EPS flash and see if that changes anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 01:09 AM   #440
McBobby Jr
Lieutenant
Rep

Went to do the dealership and they said it's up to date with everything software wis and they did an alignment and it still pulls to the right. I flashed the CS EPS as well as the GTS EPS coding. Steering feel changed minimally but it still pulls. Do you know anybody I can get in contact with like maybe even a third party to help me with this.
Appreciate 0