Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
Mjaspreet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Best coilover option

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just got my m4. First thing I want to do is lower this damn thing. I will not be tracking the car but do take it out to the canyons. It handles very well but does seem a bit floaty at times so I thought of going the coilover route. A little harsher ride won't bother me but I don't want something very track oriented. I have a budget of around 3k maybe go up a little if it's worth it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: '18 M3 ZCP - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjaspreet View Post
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and just got my m4. First thing I want to do is lower this damn thing. I will not be tracking the car but do take it out to the canyons. It handles very well but does seem a bit floaty at times so I thought of going the coilover route. A little harsher ride won't bother me but I don't want something very track oriented. I have a budget of around 3k maybe go up a little if it's worth it. Thanks!
The Bilstein B16s are a good choice for a daily non track setup. A buddy of mine on here just got a set on his F80 and they ride great. Have you read through the different options on the sticky Master list here? Lot's of good info there.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
Mjaspreet
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes Sir! I went through the master list but have a hard time deciding on one. Kw v3's, club sports, bilstein, jrz, all seem to be the popular choices.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes Sir! I went through the master list but have a hard time deciding on one. Kw v3's, club sports, bilstein, jrz, all seem to be the popular choices.
My buddy also had the KW V3s and switched them out for the Bilstein's. Felt the ride on the KWs was too harsh for a daily. He also told me that the JRZs are nice, but learned during his research that they need more maintenance. Bilstein has a very long track record of making a quality product. I am currently on Dinan and am waiting for the Bilstein Damptronic to release for the F8x so I can swap and retain EDC function. Dinans are great for the price and warranty, but the OEM dampers need improvement.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 10:59 PM   #5
Mjaspreet
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info! I will definitely look more into the bilsteins. I also just read about the ohlins and people seem to have good things to say about them.
Appreciate 1
MadZarBMR712.00
      01-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
There are many choices out there.

Sounds like you are more of a street than a track guy. I would suggest staying away from JRZ, Moton or MCS as they are more geared for track duty and often require camber plates to go with them. JRZ, in our past experience, will require more service, can be clunky at times. MCS is more robust, but with the use of camber plates, more NVH is added.

KWs are great if you are budget minded and just looking for something to lower your car. Their damper valving isn't the greatest and progressive springs are used. You want linear springs and precise damper to control various body motions.

Bilstein B16 and Ohlins R&T are both monotubes with great precision damping by design. Ohlins R&T has a lot more technology built into it, DFV(Dual Flow Valve) and expanding needle technology to aid ride quality and combat damper fade. You can read more about them here:

http://www.hpashop.com/Road-Track_c332.htm

Feel free to shoot us a PM or email with any specific questions you may have.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:43 AM   #7
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

A simple summary would be the following 3 choices:

Bilstein PSS10: 1"-1.3" drop offered, this coil over system is very compliant, supple, and soft. I would say it's probably the best in terms of comfort for daily drivers. Offers single adjustment for harder or softer ride.

KW V3: 1.1" - 2" drop offered, this coil over system is "sportier". In comparison to the PSS10, the ride is slightly stiffer. It is a great option, with no negatives (in my opinion). I have this set up on my car currently and can offer a ride if you are in the SoCal area.

JRZ RS1 or RS2 Touring: 1" - 1.5" I would have to say JRZ is the best for the price. From my experience, this set up has the best offering, for street and track usage. JRZ's quality is superb and ride very well balanced, it can be soft during street use and perfectly squatted on the track.

I categorized them from price point from top to bottom, and would highly recommend the JRZ if you wish to spend a little more.

I will shoot you a PM as well with pricing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

TCK D/A setup would be another great option for a compliant street setup as well as very track capable, if needed.

JRZ RS2 Touring for the street or RS2 Sport for a higher performance street-track setup but still compliant.

MCS 1WNR is another option I would consider - easy to switch between street and track. Very smooth damper with a huge range of adjustability. You can run higher spring rates and still have a great street setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
I just installed BMW MP "Coilovers". There's a separate post where I provided my initial thoughts. Some posted pix too. Bottom line: I'm happy so far with this choice. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
I just installed BMW MP "Coilovers". There's a separate post where I provided my initial thoughts. Some posted pix too. Bottom line: I'm happy so far with this choice. Good luck!
Yeah... but those are HAS.

Did anybody tried Broadway static? Custom made with swift springs...
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
Mjaspreet
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
I highly doubt the m perf has kit can match the handling of a true coilover system such as jrz or kw.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Mjaspreet
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Does anyone have any information on the bilstein damptronics. I've read about some m4's with them but can't seem to find them anywhere for sale.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:50 PM   #13
MadZarBMR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does anyone have any information on the bilstein damptronics. I've read about some m4's with them but can't seem to find them anywhere for sale.
They have not been released in the US yet. Last I checked with Bilstein US, they are due sometime in spring but no definitive date.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:24 PM   #14
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
I highly doubt the m perf has kit can match the handling of a true coilover system such as jrz or kw.
You very well maybe right. Yet, i have no idea as I've not tried either product on an M4/3. I do like that the MP HAS are matched with the damper and has some electronic/software input (M adaptive).

I posted some pictures pre and post MP coilover installatio today. Here's the link.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1191427
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
There is no match for the JRZ, but KW V series...a close call.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:09 AM   #16
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
There is no match for the JRZ, but KW V series...a close call.
What do you make of the KW 2way clubsports set up ?

With camber adjustment
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #17
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinsan View Post
What do you make of the KW 2way clubsports set up ?

With camber adjustment
It's not a bad setup if you are simply looking to lower the car a bit with a height and rebound damping adjustable system without breaking the bank. If you are looking for better performance both on the street and track, look else where.
Appreciate 1
CPWINCH733.50
      01-25-2017, 01:22 PM   #18
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's not a bad setup if you are simply looking to lower the car a bit with a height and rebound damping adjustable system without breaking the bank. If you are looking for better performance both on the street and track, look else where.
Ok i am listening ?

i am looking to try and create the best handling M4 competition possible that works well onthe street and for occasional track days

Looks are not important and only really good quality damping along with predictable handling and better traction

Last car was 991 Carrera GTS so tough act to follow
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #19
bmwtrix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3 6MT

Go with the Status Gruppe coilovers with camber plates. Great quality, great product! There is a guy selling a set right now! I bet he'd let go at great price!
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1337001
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok i am listening ?

i am looking to try and create the best handling M4 competition possible that works well onthe street and for occasional track days

Looks are not important and only really good quality damping along with predictable handling and better traction

Last car was 991 Carrera GTS so tough act to follow
You will want to start with high quality dampers, that will basically determine how well the car rides and handles. JRZ, MCS, Ohlins and TCKR should be on top of your list just to name a few.

Ruled out KW CS as it is more of a track coilover and will likely beat you up on the street.

JRZ and MCS one-way or two-way internal reservoirs are also more track based than street, require more service, must run camber plates and may have some noise issues. That said, they do ride well on the street with proper spring rates.

TCKR will give you excellent street ride, but the rear rebound damping is kind of a pain in the rear to get to(you must remove the rear damper completely).

In my opinion, Ohlins R&T is the best solution for a decent street ride(slightly firmer than stock, but not harsh) and capable of track duty. Stock upper mounts are used so noise is not an issue. Great installation instructions and initial damper settings for both street and track are provided.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #21
gavinsan
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You will want to start with high quality dampers, that will basically determine how well the car rides and handles. JRZ, MCS, Ohlins and TCKR should be on top of your list just to name a few.

Ruled out KW CS as it is more of a track coilover and will likely beat you up on the street.

JRZ and MCS one-way or two-way internal reservoirs are also more track based than street, require more service, must run camber plates and may have some noise issues. That said, they do ride well on the street with proper spring rates.

TCKR will give you excellent street ride, but the rear rebound damping is kind of a pain in the rear to get to(you must remove the rear damper completely).

In my opinion, Ohlins R&T is the best solution for a decent street ride(slightly firmer than stock, but not harsh) and capable of track duty. Stock upper mounts are used so noise is not an issue. Great installation instructions and initial damper settings for both street and track are provided.
That is very helpful thank you .

Is there any issue with maintenance on the Ohlins set up ?

Can you use them all year round ?

Also have been speaking to a company in UK that arer suggesting a software box to replace EDC that reacts a lot faster and is capable of controlling the standard dampers alot better .

The system is also working with PASM on Porsches

Have you any experience of such a set up ?
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is very helpful thank you .

Is there any issue with maintenance on the Ohlins set up ?

Can you use them all year round ?

Also have been speaking to a company in UK that arer suggesting a software box to replace EDC that reacts a lot faster and is capable of controlling the standard dampers alot better .

The system is also working with PASM on Porsches

Have you any experience of such a set up ?
Standard street and occasional track use should give you years of trouble free service. We have carried Ohlins since 2009 and very rarely we get an inquiry to service a damper. I can see with extremely high spring rates and track usage the service can come sooner.

No, no issues all year round as the body of the dampers are coated and it's one of very few dampers with rubber boots to protect the shafts.

Coding or reprograming the EDC to a more aggressive mapping is another way to get better damping out of them. Match up with a decent set of sport springs you can have something that is both street friendly and track worthy. I don't personally have an experience with such system though.
Appreciate 0