BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

11-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #1
NightriderCS
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Anyone "Touched up" Frozen Blue Matte paint rock chips

Wondering has anyone used touch up for small rock chips on frozen blue matte paint? I've heard that sometimes the whole panel and section has to be repainted.

Wondering how it will look if only a small portion was redone?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I'm not an expert, from what I'm learning the answer is NO.

I purchased an M4 CS back in September which had some paint issues which I thought were minor. As part of the deal, the dealership agreed to have all issues fixed to my satisfaction. Unfortunately, I've learned while the car has been away for repairs (FOR A MONTH NOW), that the panels basically have to be resprayed. They can't buff the paint, they can't polish it, they can't do anything.

I was told today it could be another 10 days before my car is ready, and to say I'm reaching the boiling point is an understatement. The dealership I purchased the car from is wonderful, but the paint place they sent the car to is just so horribly slow it's painful. At least we removed the Vorsteiner wing in the meantime so it wasn't all a total waste of time.

Here's a pic of my car, posting it just so I don't forget what I actually bought and still cannot drive. I never would have bought this car had I known the panels would require a respray, and now I'm just hoping beyond hope the paint job is done correctly or I'm going to have to go to war.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
GERMAN M34181.00
NYG10738.00
      11-05-2022, 02:32 AM   #3
NightriderCS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

I purchased an M4 CS back in September which had some paint issues which I thought were minor. As part of the deal, the dealership agreed to have all issues fixed to my satisfaction. Unfortunately, I've learned while the car has been away for repairs (FOR A MONTH NOW), that the panels basically have to be resprayed. They can't buff the paint, they can't polish it, they can't do anything.

I was told today it could be another 10 days before my car is ready, and to say I'm reaching the boiling point is an understatement. The dealership I purchased the car from is wonderful, but the paint place they sent the car to is just so horribly slow it's painful. At least we removed the Vorsteiner wing in the meantime so it wasn't all a total waste of time.

Here's a pic of my car, posting it just so I don't forget what I actually bought and still cannot drive. I never would have bought this car had I known the panels would require a respray, and now I'm just hoping beyond hope the paint job is done correctly or I'm going to have to go to war.

So I am in the market for a m3 CS either SMB or Frozen blue. Just out of curiosity I called a few body shops and certified BMW ones to see how they paint correct on Frozen Blue for rock chips and scratches. 95% of them said you have to paint the whole panel even for a minor rock chip if you want it fixed. They can't just touch up that minor section because with matte paint it won't blend correctly. The certified bmw body shop said we had another customer recently with a matte finish that had marks on the left passenger door. They can't just paint the one door, but had to paint the whole left side to blend it or it wouldn't look right.
Appreciate 1
NickyC17483.00
      11-05-2022, 05:36 AM   #4
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:

Sucks to hear, man.

I have to say that from experience that Individual Frozen paint sucks balls. It may look lovely, but God forbid something happens to it.

Happens more often than not that a BMW certified shop or an official dealer is unable to match resprayed panels with the rest of the car. I am dealing with Frozen Brilliant White at the moment. Bumper re-done two times and still not matching the rest of the car. Not to mention that on G-series cars, you can't repaint or repair bumpers in certain areas due to sensors hiding behind them.

It is also not unusual that a Frozen car comes with mis-matched paint on different body panels from factory.
spidy512493.00
Thelof57.00
      11-05-2022, 06:01 AM   #5
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

All info I just learned about frozen paints thank you guys
Appreciate 1
NickyC17483.00
      11-05-2022, 12:30 PM   #6
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Sucks to hear, man.

I have to say that from experience that Individual Frozen paint sucks balls. It may look lovely, but God forbid something happens to it.

Happens more often than not that a BMW certified shop or an official dealer is unable to match resprayed panels with the rest of the car. I am dealing with Frozen Brilliant White at the moment. Bumper re-done two times and still not matching the rest of the car. Not to mention that on G-series cars, you can't repaint or repair bumpers in certain areas due to sensors hiding behind them.

It is also not unusual that a Frozen car comes with mis-matched paint on different body panels from factory.
Thanks. When it looks right, the frozen paint looks absolutely amazing. I just hope it gets right in my case.

Good luck to you as well!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Gents, please install an XPEL Stealth PPF or another PPF brand as it will save you lots of headaches with rock chips and small scratches, is it expensive yes but it will save you lots of headaches. I rather replace a section of XPEL any day then to repaint my CS. That's the best advice I can give you.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf

Last edited by Wanted_M; 11-07-2022 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
TopJimmy5460.00
      11-07-2022, 04:55 PM   #8
NightriderCS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Gents, please install an XPEL Stealth PPF or another PPF brand as it will save you lots of headaches with rock chips and small scratches, is it expensive yes but it will save you lots of headaches. I rather replace a section of XPEL any day then to repaint my CS. That's the best advice I can give you.
How much did it cost roughly for the whole car?

What if it already has super minor rock chips, have you heard of any touch up done?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:26 PM   #9
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

I just dropped my M3 CS off for PPF and ceramic coating. He is doing the front bumper, hood, front fenders, mirror caps and headlights and it is $2k for Stealth XPEL.
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M759.00
      11-08-2022, 05:43 PM   #10
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightriderCS View Post
How much did it cost roughly for the whole car?
What if it already has super minor rock chips, have you heard of any touch up done?
Back in 2020 it cost me 6k, the whole car including all CF bits. Roof was done with regular PPF not stealth. If you have chips, it is what it is. Good luck finding someone that sells paint to touch up. I already have a small tear on PPF by gas tank from a rock but no damage to paint
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #11
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:

Dealerships are such trash nowadays.

Hope you get that beauty back in your hands soon bro.
Appreciate 0