Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-31-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Short Shifter Reviews

Yes, Ive done my HW.

I had a UUC USSK on my e82 and loved it.

Ive read a lot about autosolutions and have been talking w Ronald about a custom shifter for myself.

I have some reservations about the design of autosolutions vs the UUC.

Extra parts made by Auto Solutions (why replace good factory steel parts with soft bronze?).

Over-size shifter ball adds to shifting effort and wears out bushing faster.

Increased effort in shifting and notchiness.

Unnecessarily replaces shifter linkage rod. Why buy parts that you don't need?

Very difficult install with selector joint replacement. Requires removal of driveshaft, exhaust, and guibo for installation.

Clipped-together shifter lever may vibrate or separate (user reports indicate this happens while driving).

Anyone try the UUC and Autosolutions? Whats really the best....

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 04:58 PM   #2
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

I can really only speak for the install and the UUC shifter in this case since I just did mine a few weeks ago.

Yes, the install was quite a hassle but I didn't have to remove the guibo, driveshaft or exhaust (although I do have a VRSF single mid-pipe so maybe that helped).

To get the selector rod pin through I lined up the top holes by pressing them together manually, dropped a cut off allen wrench through the top to hold it together and then pushed the pin up through the bottom with some super long needle nose pliers. I promise that my description makes sense once you're looking at the problem lol.

Overall i'm happy with the UUC, it definitely feels better than stock but I'd have to drive one with the AutoSolutions kit to really compare them.

edit: I forgot that the only reason that I did the shift rod selector work is because I broke my shifter. Disregard my comments about not having to remove items, as i'm not sure how complex the install is for AutoSolutions. I can attest to the fact that the rod selector work is annoying at best though.
      01-31-2023, 05:03 PM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

If you've done your homework, then you know that since the dawn of the stone age and the E46 M3, the AS SSK is vastly preferred against alternatives. It's the same in the E9X.

In the F8X, I'm pretty sure it's the same. That said, if you liked UUC in a previous car you might as well get that
Appreciate 1
bvrider1345.00
      02-02-2023, 10:18 PM   #4
NORAGRETS
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP BSM 2012 E82 1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
If you've done your homework, then you know that since the dawn of the stone age and the E46 M3, the AS SSK is vastly preferred against alternatives. It's the same in the E9X.

In the F8X, I'm pretty sure it's the same. That said, if you liked UUC in a previous car you might as well get that
I guess I’m more curious about why autosolutions ssk’s are notoriously difficult to install? Like any aftermarket part, I get things sometimes don’t fit like a glove, but typically a touted and reputable part has little to zero fitment issues.

RIP - E82 135i - 7/7/2021
Appreciate 0