Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #89
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
As I said, it's not advisable, but sometimes we all get caught off guard. In my experience, I was able to get around on sloppy roads after a significant snow storm (approx 6-12 inches) with summer tires on an xdrive. I drove slowly and very cautiously. Begin braking well in advance, don't take sudden turns etc. for the most part, the car still smashed through the snow without serious incident or drama, summer tires and all.

I don't know why you had such a different experience. Maybe your tires were older and more worn? Also, my tires were oem run flat summer tires. It could be that they were more forgiving than regular go flat summer tires. It might also have been colder where you were when you got caught with summer tires. Temperature has the greatest negative effect on summer tire performance. In other words, I'm thinking that lightly snow covered roads during frigid temps might be worse on the wrong tires than heavier snow on warmer roads.

Anyway, I'm not saying that driving in winter weather with summer tires is advisable. Of course it's not. I'm just saying, in the event you get caught in bad conditions, awd still seems to offer a better chance of getting out ok - provided that one drives with extreme caution (like everyone should regardless of tires, awd, fwd, or rwd).
I'm sorry, but I don't believe you were on actual summer tires, but I do believe all seasons. Otherwise you were going nowhere in 6-12 inches of sloppy snow xDrive or not.
I'm 100% certain that they were the oem run flat, summer tires. There's no question about it. Off-hand, there are several reasons I can imagine why you're experience was different (as listed in my previous post).

So yes, I've been caught off guard and I drove on snowy roads with an xdrive on summer tires. I got through it without ever losing control of the car. The tires were NOT all season radiaIs, or anything of the sort. They were summer tires. I realize this runs counter to everything ever posted on a car forum. It doesn't correlate with any of the results ever generated in published tire comparison tests either. Actually, this can't be explained by general relativity, quantum mechanics, or even string theory, but it happened. Perhaps it should be filed under paranormal....

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating for using summer tires in winter road conditions. I'm merely saying that, it happened to me, and this was my experience.
So much of it depends on the type of snow. If it was cold dry snow, I know for a fact you can push through with AWD and summer tires. If it was heavy wet snow, you'll go nowhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #90
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
So much of it depends on the type of snow. If it was cold dry snow, I know for a fact you can push through with AWD and summer tires. If it was heavy wet snow, you'll go nowhere.
The type of "summer tire" matters a lot also.

a 300tw commuter tire like PSS at full tread depth vs 200tw street car like Re71r is a big different.

Many years ago I got caught in my rt615 200tw street tire class autox tires and it was incredibly frightening. Recently I got caught in PSS and it was easier to deal with.

Either way.. snow tires are better!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #91
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Then bye an M2.

I want the next versions BMW M3 & M4 to have Rear Bias All Wheel M xDrive! And all BMW M Division has to do is install a button for those of you who only want real wheel drive at times.

Here in New York State I want and NEED the amazing xDrive because we have four seasons to deal with.
Not sure where you are in NY, but I'm mid way up the state, I do not feel I need AWD to cope with seasons. I could entertain the idea for dry traction however, having lived with the F80 for 3 years. But I don't like the idea of more transfer cases and the power they take away.
M xDrive in full affect, it looks totally awesome!

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #92
JibSTir13
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 / FJ Cruiser

I drove my 05 STi (which has AWD) on summer tires to a local mountain to snowboard.

As we got to the parking lot light snow flurries started falling.

I couldn't even make it up the driveway to the main parking lot - the car just slid around. Even at a stop the car would slide backwards down the driveway. Not a fun experience. I then parked in the lower lot for less than 5 minutes and had to get pushed out. A bit embarrassing given pedigree of the car.

Takeaway lesson: never drive in the snow on summer tires, regardless of drivetrain type or amount of snow.
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321125.00
minn1914066.00
      09-06-2018, 01:21 AM   #93
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Wish BMW made an equivalent to this kick ass ride!

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #94
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibSTir13 View Post
I drove my 05 STi (which has AWD) on summer tires to a local mountain to snowboard.

As we got to the parking lot light snow flurries started falling.

I couldn't even make it up the driveway to the main parking lot - the car just slid around. Even at a stop the car would slide backwards down the driveway. Not a fun experience. I then parked in the lower lot for less than 5 minutes and had to get pushed out. A bit embarrassing given pedigree of the car.

Takeaway lesson: never drive in the snow on summer tires, regardless of drivetrain type or amount of snow.
I was talking about getting caught in a pinch with summer tires and being able to get through it, NOT driving to the mountains in summer tires to go snow boarding lol.

I won't take a snow board to the Caribbean either.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #95
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

Quote:

Meh.... Not sure how I feel about it. I don't think I'd ever own an M5, partially because of this.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #96
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian1973 View Post
Quote:

Meh.... Not sure how I feel about it. I don't think I'd ever own an M5, partially because of this.
I would never purchase and M5 it's too big for my taste. If anything the M6. The M4 is my style, period! But I want it to have M xDrive.

Well hopefully the word will get out and enthusiasts will watch these videos and in time be open minded to see the increased performance benefits as well as safety benefits. I don't want a car that is tail happy like some cheap Corvette.

And for those of you who just want rear wheel drive, all you would have to do is simply press a button. You cannot get any easier than that.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #97
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

Quote:
I would never purchase and M5 it's too big for my taste. If anything the M6. The M4 is my style, period! But I want it to have M xDrive.

Well hopefully the word will get out and enthusiasts will watch these videos and in time be open minded to see the increased performance benefits as well as safety benefits. I don't want a car that is tail happy like some cheap Corvette.

And for those of you who just want rear wheel drive, all you would have to do is simply press a button. You cannot get any easier than that.
Is there a button to then get the extra weight out?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #98
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey, I'll let the BMW Engineers figure that one out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #99
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, it's in the form of a pedal though.
Appreciate 0