EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

11-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #45
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Or wait for Scroth belts for the F8x cars. I'm not holding my breath as the F8x market is probably minuscule,
That would be super helpful, yea.

it is too bad we can't get just hit up an OEM motorsports catalog for bolt in half cage, fixed back seats, compatible HANS and 6pt harness
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #46
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
You know if someone made plastic inserts for the belts that go in the seat after you cut the slots this is a great idea!
There are options like that, but I'm not sure what it would do the the structural rigidity of the headrest. If there's a metal frame under the leather, I think it might be okay.

There are options, like these:

Really, just google "Seat Harness Passthrough" or "Seat Harness Inserts".

I've looked into this, but I would have a pro do it for me ONLY after determining that I'm not cutting through structural or electrical components, by taking the leather cover off and seeing what's underneath.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 08:04 AM   #47
te37
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 SS/SO 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
There are options like that, but I'm not sure what it would do the the structural rigidity of the headrest. If there's a metal frame under the leather, I think it might be okay.

There are options, like these:

Really, just google "Seat Harness Passthrough" or "Seat Harness Inserts".

I've looked into this, but I would have a pro do it for me ONLY after determining that I'm not cutting through structural or electrical components, by taking the leather cover off and seeing what's underneath.
Need to get a wrecked car and cut the seat open. Obviously if its just leather your cutting through it would be okay. They did it for a stunt car so I would assume that it would have to be safe. I would think they wouldn't cut through metal just to get a belt through there.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 08:51 AM   #48
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
That would be super helpful, yea.

it is too bad we can't get just hit up an OEM motorsports catalog for bolt in half cage, fixed back seats, compatible HANS and 6pt harness
Don't see why BMW couldn't make a removable harness bar. Mounting brackets could stay integrated into the pillars, and the bar could be bolted in when you go to the track.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #49
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
Need to get a wrecked car and cut the seat open. Obviously if its just leather your cutting through it would be okay. They did it for a stunt car so I would assume that it would have to be safe. I would think they wouldn't cut through metal just to get a belt through there.
Looking at this, I'm not sure how they routed those belts... However, the top "hoop" looks like it leaves room for a passthrough on the seat "wings" or between the hoop's upright, which is where I assume they routed the belts in that picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #50
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon
Since the M3/M4 doesn't have seats with harness pass through possibilities, what are you track guys using for a harness system?

I would like something HANS compatible.

Does the Schroth quick fit somehow work with these cars?
Yes.

For the E90 I had bought the Mini R56 quick fit harness, because I tired of waiting for Scroth of ever releasing an E90-specific version.
This is to 2x confirm - I just installed the MINI R56 harness, and it fits perfectly. Wish I had heard of this earlier this year!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc
Please go to the end of this thread, I posted some pics there.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1186751
Seems like there is a big submarining risk with that setup, since the shoulder harnesses could easily slide off the seatback.
I would draw the opposite conclusion - should the shoulder belts come off for any reason, your upper body would be free to move (similar to 3-point setup), and make submarining prospect even that much less likely.

Schroth claims their ASM is effective at preventing submarining in case of a crash (see video earlier in the thread).
Through 15+ years of using Schroth ASM 4-point belts, I never had to find out. But I obviously both believe them, as well find that the upside of proper attachment to the seat of greater value vs. the fear of rolling and submarining.

To each his own.

Quote:
for what it is worth, the link i posted had instructions and diagrams from Takata about installing their 4 and 6 pt harnesses and the very first diagram shows your shoulder harness strap setup with a red x. My interpetation of that was they dont think its a good idea.
I like to understand the reasoning, not just blindly follow instructions.
Here is Takata argument against installing shoulder belts w/out head-rest pass-through: "The seatbelts will not function properly in these types of seats as shoulder belts will tend to slip off the shoulders."
http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/06/...xpert-answers/

I fully share the above concern, as does HMS (Schroth re-seller). So much so that they don't advertise of recommend the R56 kit for F80 cars:
www.hmsmotorsport.com

However, if adc says they fit well and don't slip off the shoulders.
I believe him.

I just installed my set, and under tension (fully tightened), the possibility of these belts sliding off the shoulders is virtually non-existent.

I would still prefer to pass them through the inside of headrest posts, but given that that's not an option on F8x cars, I'll settle for the above solution and use my hands for steering, instead of holding on for dear life.

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:22 PM   #51
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

I have the defender HANS system and it has little wings that help keep the belts in place. May aid with any belt slippage concern. I've had to do an emergency "fire exit" (Porsche) with it on and I can tell you, the belts don't slip off so easily even when loose.

On that stunt car, don't the hole cut throughs look rather low?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #52
JMon
FAST
Rep

http://www.bryke.com/NecksGen1.html

Look at the bottom left picture carefully and you will see the wings.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:55 PM   #53
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
4 point quikfits are ok at all BMW and PCA HDPEs

Not due to their kindness, but because the Quikfits are road legal
Thanks, good to hear! :thumbs:

What I am trying to achieve is a significant increase in comfort for HPDEs with no reduction in safety compared to the OEM 3-belts, all under the constraint that it's our family car, so no cages, harness bars etc.

Sounds like the Schroth Qukfit fits the bill.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:16 PM   #54
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Thanks, good to hear! :thumbs:

What I am trying to achieve is a significant increase in comfort for HPDEs with no reduction in safety compared to the OEM 3-belts, all under the constraint that it's our family car, so no cages, harness bars etc.

Sounds like the Schroth Qukfit fits the bill.
Just to clarify, they're accepted then the belt is made for the car and the oem seat.

You may get away with other combinations, but you've been warned!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:46 PM   #55
JMon
FAST
Rep

afadeev,
Is this the one you say works well? FOR 2007+ MINI
Is there any reason why you say this one over the one for the BMW E82/E90/E92

I like the fact that it has a buckle in the center point to make sure the straps stay close together behind you and don't slip down. Also like the fact that it is HANS strap width compatible.
https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning...it-pro/qfp-bmw
Also see video in the link above... Now it does have detachable headrest.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #56
JMon
FAST
Rep

What about using the Schroth Quick Connect with a retainer strap made out of seat belt material on the front side of the seat, but behind your head? I would think that would eliminate any possibilities of "slippage" possibilities.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #57
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation why BMW decided to ship a car, which is undoubtedly used at a significant rate at track days, without 4/5-point harness pass-throughs? The US-spec M4 GTS doesn't even come with them, which is hard to believe.

Even the Cadillac ATS-V has a seat designed to accommodate a harness, so clearly regulations allow for them.

That's honestly what's holding me back from upgrading my E90 M3.

Thanks

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 03:57 PM   #58
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
Does anyone have a reasonable explanation why BMW decided to ship a car, which is undoubtedly used at a significant rate at track days, without 4/5-point harness pass-throughs? The US-spec M4 GTS doesn't even come with them, which is hard to believe.

Even the Cadillac ATS-V has a seat designed to accommodate a harness, so clearly regulations allow for them.

That's honestly what's holding me back from upgrading my E90 M3.

Thanks
We do not know what seats officially are coming on the M4 GTS for North America but believe we are getting a Hybrid seat with side airbags with proper a pass-through to accommodate a harness that will use the standard roll bar as the mounting point.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #59
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
We do not know what seats officially are coming on the M4 GTS for North America but believe we are getting a Hybrid seat with side airbags with proper a pass-through to accommodate a harness that will use the standard roll bar as the mounting point.
That remains to be seen, because the picture presently released of the GTS US seats do not seem to accommodate a 5/6 point harness.
Attached Images

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #60
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
That remains to be seen, because the picture presently released of the GTS US seats do not seem to accommodate a 5/6 point harness.
Hmm!I was told otherwise but I guess we will have to wait & see what will be coming in this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #61
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchiers View Post
3-point belts allow a fair amount of torso movement by design. 4-, 5-, and 6- point systems hold you rigidly upright - also by design. The concern is that if you don't have a cage or at least a roll bar to provide rollover protection the roof of the car can crush down while the harness holds you upright, causing head, neck, and spine injuries. The 3-point is better in this scenario because it allows your torso to move out of the way.
Schroth Quick Fit PRO version has ASM technology and works with the female receptacles of the stock system.

In an accident, the stock systems discharge and pull the lap belts inward, while the inside shoulder strap of the quickfit pro (by way of ASM technology), loosens and releases, thereby acting like an OEM 3 point. This way, your torso bends forward, instead of your ass sliding under the lap belt.

You can wear a Hans device, be planted, but also have a DOT approved system.

I think it's a great alternative and is middle ground until at least a half cage and seats are installed.
      11-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #62
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

There is also this if you want to stay locked in with your oem 3 point. The only thing I was concerned with this route was if it the belt was pretensioned, in an accident does the shoulder strap loosen up? If it doesn't then my neck would have snapped - I guess it is ok if you are close to the airbag but I wanted more neck snapping protection and went with an alternative that allowed me a Hans device.

11-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #63
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

delete - duplicate post.
      11-17-2015, 05:12 PM   #64
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
afadeev,
Is this the one you say works well? FOR 2007+ MINI
Is there any reason why you say this one over the one for the BMW E82/E90/E92

This is the set I ordered:
https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/produc...kfit-harnesses

From the drop-down menus, pick MINI / R566 / other choices are up to you.
Evidently, R56 MINIs share the exact same male/female seat belt buckles as E9x and F8x cars, making the belt system interchangeable.

To install, you first need to anchor two additional seat belt snap-in anchors. E90 DIY video is here:

Adjust the size of rear belts such that the cross rests right behind the front seat's head rest, and the shoulder belts have nowhere to go but stay securely on your shoulders under tension.

Do this at your own risk (don't try this at home, don't inhale, blah, blah).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
I like the fact that it has a buckle in the center point to make sure the straps stay close together behind you and don't slip down. Also like the fact that it is HANS strap width compatible.
https://www.schrothracing.com/tuning...it-pro/qfp-bmw
Also see video in the link above... Now it does have detachable headrest.
The belt with the buckle in your link should work just as well.
The one I got has permanently attached shoulder belts, and only the sides of the lap belt snap buckle together.

I would prefer the detachable head-rest, and routing shoulder belts inside the headrest posts (or better yet - in seat holes like those built into C63 and ATS-V seats), but that's sadly not an option on F8x cars.

YMMV,
More disclaimers here: http://www.jedihawk.com/jokes/misc/disclaimer.html
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #65
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
This is the set I ordered:
https://www.hmsmotorsport.com/produc...kfit-harnesses

From the drop-down menus, pick MINI / R566 / other choices are up to you.
Evidently, R56 MINIs share the exact same male/female seat belt buckles as E9x and F8x cars, making the belt system interchangeable.

To install, you first need to anchor two additional seat belt snap-in anchors. E90 DIY video is here:

Adjust the size of rear belts such that the cross rests right behind the front seat's head rest, and the shoulder belts have nowhere to go but stay securely on your shoulders under tension.

Do this at your own risk (don't try this at home, don't inhale, blah, blah).

The belt with the buckle in your link should work just as well.
The one I got has permanently attached shoulder belts, and only the sides of the lap belt snap buckle together.

I would prefer the detachable head-rest, and routing shoulder belts inside the headrest posts (or better yet - in seat holes like those built into C63 and ATS-V seats), but that's sadly not an option on F8x cars.

YMMV,
More disclaimers here: http://www.jedihawk.com/jokes/misc/disclaimer.html
the install is the same for pro and non pro versions but the actual product being used is the one JMon is talking about.

Pro version you can use Hans since the shoulder straps merge to the middle.

And I agree, sucks about the seats. Looks like the only option is the swap them out.
      11-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #66
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It looks like you were right on the seats.I just spoke to my track safety supply guy and thinks this can be made to work properly by crisscrossing the belts as is required in most pro series.The worst thing is that I buy race seats so I can do a proper harness & hans setup.
Appreciate 0