R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #45
slavearm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5CE MBB/SS

Get hex tune, go fast. Seriously. Fell back in love with my car all over.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #46
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
To be fair though the convertible is a bit of a beast of burden over 200kgs heavier than the tin roofed M4/3 meaning the stock PTWR is more like a e46 M3 coupe, you'd need 520hp to match the stock tin topped CP M4 PTWR in a convertible.
Yours may have a tin roof ......... but mine has carbon fibre...

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #47
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yours may have a tin roof ......... but mine has carbon fibre...

Good point! CFRP if we're being picky.
      07-24-2016, 01:00 PM   #48
Jackob
Rep
Drives: F80 AW M3

The posts about "try this" or "try that"...come on guys are you serious? Of course the feeling of power is subjective and relative, but that being said I feel the same with respect to my F80. Down low it's pretty quick, spinning the tires effortlessly (but then that's in part b/c of the small tires...). Up top e.g. at freeway speeds the car has no umph at all - I'm not at all impressed. Now maybe a tune and other mods will wake it up, but for now we're talking about stock form. Again, this is all relative. It may feel amazing to the next guy. I come from an american muscle background (600 rwhp mustang and vette) so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

Now, how do you make these F80s move?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 04:49 PM   #49
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Sounds like you'd be better with an M5 or M6, but then again those handle like barges, it's swings and roundabouts, the F80 M3 "only" has 425bhp only 11 more than the e92 so it's never going to be a monster in 3 figures as from 100mph onwards power really matters.
      07-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #50
djcevo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4

I too came from a remapped C63, and my tuned M4 is faster. My C63 with a map was identical to my friends E60 M5 which had a DMS MAP to about 160/170 ish. My remapped M4 is faster and pulls away from his M5 now. We have only taken them to about 120 but it still pulled about 10 car lengths from 50-120. The m4's are v v quick when tuned and this is factual.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #51
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Basically guys, we need to mod our f8x's to realise their full potential. Or we get an m5/6... We all know how well our m3/4 handle, turn in and general behave but we want the pull of a 550+hp beast at our disposal. I'd love to keep my f80 but swap the f10 m5 engine in its body
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #52
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Ok, I sort of see where the op is coming from ..... had a good motorway run today, M4, M25 and M11 to Essex and longest I've driven the car since I've had it. Clearly on the motorway you spend 80-90% of the time at a relatively constant speed, but occasionally, you want to stretch its legs, for one reason or another.

Being used to the 335d that pulls effortlessly in any gear (in Comfort mode too), the M3 needs a lot more working for it to pick up the same on the motorway. Admittedly was driving in Efficient most of the journey, it just doesn't pick up quite so effortlessly with no dramas like the 335d did. If you want to push on in the same way, it's drop a cog or two and/or put it in Sport but get the "why" look on the wife's face.

You can get away with pushing on in the 335d unnoticed without the noise or drama.
I think I've been so used to 10 years of 3 litre diesels and it'll take time to adjust.

One thing though, I could not drive a petrol car with less power (well, torque really) then the M3. Think I'd be bored with an 335i/340i.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:14 AM   #53
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

You've hit the nail on the head Andy. Fact is the M3/4 can be made to shift but you have to drop gears. Compared to a tuned 335d (or even a normal one), this is a pain and can seem a little excessive. Thing is all diesel bods (or indeed large capacity turbo V8 bods) are used to that monster torque and whilst the M3 is torquey for what it is, it ain't as torquey.

This is where a box or map come in. That extra torque can be felt immediately.

Oh and the M235i just feels slow in comparison (and quiet but so classy). M3 is definitely the angry yoof!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 04:58 AM   #54
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
Pretty simple really, happy with the car, the options, the handling, the looks, the practicality, the ability to scare, the ability to far exceed my driving skills but what I'm disappointed with is acceleration on motorways.

I don't track my cars or modify them at all. I'm more of a GT guy and what I want is unbelievable acceleration when the guy infront of me doing 90mph moves out of the fast lane. The M3 is fast but it's not spectacular.

Had my RIS done and currently at 1700 miles. I was most impressed during running in period thinking "there's even more on tap". Now I know exactly what's there, it's "OK".

I think (it's been a while) that my AMG C63 and E60 M5 felt faster in said situation. Could it be a turbos vs normally aspirated thing or to do with number of cylinders? I'm no expert.

Disappointed but only a little.
I know were your coming from, I had the LCI M5 and then M6 Gran Coup CP both were very fast from 80/90 MPH on, the M3 is great too 80/90 then not much compared to the others,BUT where here in the UK will you use it?, I sold my M5 and M6 and now M3 as I just could not work them, just a quick blast and thats about it.
I bought the 435D m sport Gran Coup XDrive, 0-60 in 4.6 secs and 40 MPG all day long, I like it a lot but the exhaust sound is crap but I do now here the music in the car so not a big loss IMO.
The 435 is all I could wish for here TBH.
      07-25-2016, 05:11 AM   #55
jbtco
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

The M3 isn't a motorway barge. It is at its best on fast twisty roads using the car in manual mode. The skill is in anticipating the right gear to be in which no auto can do. It is the steering and handling which makes the car fun. I am grateful that I only have to use motorways a few times a year and can understand why an M car isn't necessarily the best choice for those who do a lot of motorway driving
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 05:34 AM   #56
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtco View Post
The M3 isn't a motorway barge. It is at its best on fast twisty roads using the car in manual mode. The skill is in anticipating the right gear to be in which no auto can do. It is the steering and handling which makes the car fun. I am grateful that I only have to use motorways a few times a year and can understand why an M car isn't necessarily the best choice for those who do a lot of motorway driving
I get what you're saying, but don't forget these M cars perform like any other sports car and that's higher up the rev range. put it in sport plus and D3 whilst cruising and she will changed very quickly for you if you put your foot down, or even just a little bit more throttle, and get you in the right gear for your desires surge forward. the M5/6 behaved the same way,. it wouldn't pick up spectacularly in 7th gear whilst doing 70, you would have to drop it a gear or 2 to feel the surge.

like you say the M3/4 is a great daily car with excellent track capabilities that will out perform almost all other sports saloons and similar size coupes round any track. but you wont get the effortless torque while cruising at 2000rpm that you got from your x35 diesels.

just get a tuning box and let us know how you feel about it then
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #57
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Thanks everyone for the replies. Feel free to keep the discussion going but here's my summary:

1) You've largely confirmed what I thought so it is neither a fault nor a one-off
2) I expect things to improve as the miles pile on
3) The alternatives range from "no f-ing way American car" to "an M5/M6 but you forgo the handling"
4) There is plenty of room for improvement through mods

And I want to repeat that, in my mind, there is no better alternative within the same class of car.
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #58
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

I surprised at the comments reference the 335d as that comparatively is slow above 62 mph to the M3 the M3 being much closer in performance terms to an M5 than a 335d is to the M3.

And lets face it the M3 feels more exciting just idling in a car park than a 335d at full chat.

This F80 is my 4th M3 so I'm used to and like what the M3 has always been engineered to deliver, it has always prioritised handling over straight line pace, having said that this is the most easily accessible M3 they have ever made in terms of performance, its roll on partial throttle grunt is way out in front of the previous generations.

But it has lost that screaming top end the S54 and S65 gave, which could explain why it feels a little flat from 5.5k to the redline at 7.5-7.6k as it holds max power from 5.5-7.3k whereas the other engines continue to produce more power the higher you go. (CP car is a little different over the last 2k IIRC)

Even though it's accelerating faster than the previous cars the power levels off, I find it "feels" faster on partial throttle between 3-6k than it does between 5-7k on a WOT but it isn't.
      07-26-2016, 08:04 AM   #59
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I surprised at the comments reference the 335d as that comparatively is slow above 62 mph to the M3 the M3 being much closer in performance terms to an M5 than a 335d is to the M3.

And lets face it the M3 feels more exciting just idling in a car park than a 335d at full chat.

This F80 is my 4th M3 so I'm used to and like what the M3 has always been engineered to deliver, it has always prioritised handling over straight line pace, having said that this is the most easily accessible M3 they have ever made in terms of performance, its roll on partial throttle grunt is way out in front of the previous generations.

But it has lost that screaming top end the S54 and S65 gave, which could explain why it feels a little flat from 5.5k to the redline at 7.5-7.6k as it holds max power from 5.5-7.3k whereas the other engines continue to produce more power the higher you go. (CP car is a little different over the last 2k IIRC)

Even though it's accelerating faster than the previous cars the power levels off, I find it "feels" faster on partial throttle between 3-6k than it does between 5-7k on a WOT but it isn't.
I think the thing that has to be understood is relativity. So the 335d is quick to pick up at low revs and thus feels quick at that point. Because it then runs out of steam, the perception is that it is fulfilling the need of overtaking quickly at lower revs without having to change down. The reality is somewhat different as put it side by side with an M3 and whilst the 335d WILL pull more from 1.5-3k revs, from then onwards, it's just not a contest. That is of course where the M3 just obliterates it over the next 4k.

I have to agree that for everyday performance, this M3 is the greatest and most easily accessible yet. Sure, you don't have the daft top end but that torque is useful and you don't have to change down and stay in 5-6k powerband to have any hope of progress.

The downside to this is it can feel 'flat' as mentioned.

I'm having mine mapped shortly, not because I need to go any faster, but because it'll just make fast progress less conspicuous when I want it to be - sometimes I just want to stay with valves closed and ride the torque.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #60
Ade_7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post

I'm having mine mapped shortly, not because I need to go any faster, but because it'll just make fast progress less conspicuous when I want it to be - sometimes I just want to stay with valves closed and ride the torque.
That slippery modifying slope not levelling out yet then Guy?

Out of interest what mapping are you going for?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #61
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade_7
Quote:

That slippery modifying slope not levelling out yet then Guy?

Out of interest what mapping are you going for?
As if!!! Exhaust being modded next week and booking in for a map. After a lot of chatting with companies and those that have had their car done, I'm probably going for GAD Tuning in Essex.

I'd love to stick with ACS but I just can't justify the cost, especially as wife has made me do suspension on the M235i.

Still lots to video and keep me outta trouble!!!
Appreciate 1
Ade_7314.00
      07-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #62
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Looking forward to more vids on the power upgrade Guy.

With regards the 335d comparison comments...........

I think we just want our cake with full icing on top when it comes to the M3!
Of course it has bags of poke and it's a quick car for sure but it doesn't have the initial low down torque as Guy mentioned and needs to be worked a little to get the same effect. The 335d does this effortlessly without noise and drama, which sometimes, it's what you want.

Doing say 50, 60 or 70 on a motorway and put your foot halfway on the throttle in D, it might drop a cog but you don't get quite the same surge as doing the same at the same speed in the 335d.

Ok, it's not a major problem and if you've never owned a big engined diesel you'd probably wonder what the hell we are going on about, but I think us ex-dieselites are realising the differences and thus how to drive differently.

And before someone reminds me that my engine is still tight and yet to have its RIS ........ Interesting that Guy (as an ex-335d owner) is posting similar comments with his well run in engine. (I think you have quite a few k miles on your car now Guy?)

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 07-26-2016 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #63
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Btw, it's only a minor gripe for what is a brilliant engine. As I say we want our cake and eat it!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 05:45 AM   #64
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
As if!!! Exhaust being modded next week and booking in for a map. After a lot of chatting with companies and those that have had their car done, I'm probably going for GAD Tuning in Essex.

I'd love to stick with ACS but I just can't justify the cost, especially as wife has made me do suspension on the M235i.

Still lots to video and keep me outta trouble!!!
Hi Guy, sounds like an excuse for a mini meet if you're heading over to the delights of Essex and Bas Vegas! I've had a look at GAD tuning too as they can safely get 500hp and a whack more torque from their tune. can I ask how much you've been quoted? Pm if you prefer.

re your exhaust mod are you going for the open back box route and remove baffle and cover up the perforations...?

Last edited by M5essex; 07-27-2016 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #65
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
Hi Guy, sounds like an excuse for a mini meet if you're heading over to the delights of Essex and Bas Vegas! I've had a look at GAD tuning too as they can safely get 500hp and a whack more torque from their tune. can I ask how much you've been quoted? Pm if you prefer.

re your exhaust mod are you going for the open back box route and remove baffle and cover up the perforations...?
Sounds like a plan. Still waiting for them to confirm as I wanted before/after dyno as well. Will PM you once I know.

Re exhaust, having secondary cats removed and Paul's backbox mod. For under £300 it seems a bit of a no brainer. Will keep hold of the cats and he can put them back in when/if I ever come to sell.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #66
noway-85
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - YMB delivered 1/3/16

Quote:
Redline in 4th is 130mph+, naughty boy.
I had to verify this... It is indeed! haha
Appreciate 1