EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

08-29-2018, 12:33 AM   #23
HKMP7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCam View Post
Thanks for this thread! it was on the money. my buttons look great. I got them from Mod Bargains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert View Post
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to the OP for this guide!

Hardest part was removing the airbag, but a couple of YouTube videos helped with that.

Thanks to this thread I just changed my buttons, but to the blue ones from IND.
Im glad this helped you guys out.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #24
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailonacs99 View Post
Any details on how to do this without removing the steering wheel/airbag?
I did it without taking off the steering wheel. The only "inconvenient" part is that I had to remove the bottom trim bolt and the button pod bolt from the back side, blindly. Not too big of a deal.

I had the red start button for some time, but hardly see it. Now these two buttons makes it complete!
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #25
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Does anyone find the red M1/M2 buttons distracting while driving? Draw your eye at all? Just curious before I install them.
      09-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #26
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Does anyone find the red M1/M2 buttons distracting while driving? Draw your eye at all? Just curious before I install them.
No, especially with the HUD, I barely look at the dash, let alone the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #27
HKMP7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
No, especially with the HUD, I barely look at the dash, let alone the steering wheel.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #28
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Thanks!
      12-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #29
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Airbag removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKMP7 View Post

I'm assuming you know how to remove the airbag.
Thanks, but could use some help with that.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #30
HKMP7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKMP7 View Post

I'm assuming you know how to remove the airbag.
Message sent.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #31
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
There are several youtubes about removing F30/F80 airbags. The orientation of the screwdriver is the key. I found the use of a square-head tool made it so much easier.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #32
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
There are several youtubes about removing F30/F80 airbags. The orientation of the screwdriver is the key. I found the use of a square-head tool made it so much easier.
Thanks!

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 05:24 PM   #33
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Finally did this today without taking the steering wheel off. Luckily had some small and angled torx wrench attachments to get behind the wheel for the last screw that held in the button cluster.

One mild heart attack when the small white tabs that control the cruise control wheel fell out. I thought I broke them at first.

Really was an easy job once I got over taking out the airbag. Watching a video of that helped too to know how small the metal wire is for the spring, easy to miss/push aside with a Phillips, was easier with a flathead.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to is sometimes in spirited driving, I lose where the wheel is when I have to shift. This will help me to quickly identify which paddles to hit.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #34
figure99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 - ZCP

Just some of my initial impressions after installing the IND red M1/M2 buttons a few months ago...

Pros:
- They fit well, easy install.
- They match the IND red start button... so OCD friendly if you have that!

Cons:
- Slight disappointment that they do not look & feel as OEM as I had hoped. It's more the feel for me with these... the paint is thick and slippery compared to the black OEM buttons, thus my finger slips off of them easily, especially M2. I would have preferred a more matte look & feel.
- Text appears more orange compared to the OEM buttons at night when lit up. See picture below.
Attached Images

“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 1
soulcrft161.50
      01-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #35
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
I definitely agree that the quality of the buttons leaves something to be desired. A more matte or textured button would be better. It looks like from the photos Rxpert posted, the polar blue ones are higher quality.

What bothers me most about the red ones is how dull the ridge is that flows in from the outside buttons. It looks very well defined in the polar blue, the same way they are in the OEM buttons. The red ones look like a bad plastic mold that didn't have much definition. It bugs me how smooth they are in comparison.
Appreciate 1
figure99123.00
      01-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #36
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01' E46 325i / 16' F80 M3

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by figure99 View Post
Just some of my initial impressions after installing the IND red M1/M2 buttons a few months ago...

Pros:

Cons:
- Slight disappointment that they do not look & feel as OEM as I had hoped. It's more the feel for me with these... the paint is thick and slippery compared to the black OEM buttons, thus my finger slips off of them easily, especially M2. I would have preferred a more matte look & feel.
- Text appears more orange compared to the OEM buttons at night when lit up. See picture below.
That's something I wanted too. The Matte finish to match the rest of the buttons and my OEM red start button. IND just came out with the matte finish. Looks like I'll be ordering those soon to replace the gloss ones I got in the summer. My OCD is terrible.
      01-18-2019, 07:23 PM   #37
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo_f80m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by figure99 View Post

Pros:

Cons:
That's something I wanted too. The Matte finish to match the rest of the buttons and my OEM red start button. IND just came out with the matte finish. Looks like I'll be ordering those soon to replace the gloss ones I got in the summer. My OCD is terrible.

You're kidding. Damn, the matte ones do look better on the site. Now I want to pick up them and an OEM ignition switch to go for a cleaner look.

If anyone picks them up, please post installed pics.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #38
figure99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What bothers me most about the red ones is how dull the ridge is that flows in from the outside buttons. It looks very well defined in the polar blue, the same way they are in the OEM buttons. The red ones look like a bad plastic mold that didn't have much definition. It bugs me how smooth they are in comparison.
I agree 100%, it's the lack of defined ridge compared to the OEM ones. It's either a poor plastic mold, or too much paint... either way they're too smooth without the ridge and with slippery gloss paint.

Quote:
They finally have a matte finish available... of course, after I've already purchased and installed the previously only available gloss ones. I can relate to the OCD... I'm not going to be able to handle knowing matte ones exist for too long... there goes another $50. Unfortunately it looks like they still do not offer a matte start/stop button without having the buy the whole assembly. My OCD may have to wait until they do since that's what I have.

Please post pics if you purchase the matte ones!
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough.” -Mario Andretti
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #39
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Well, ****it, couldn't help myself. Not even out of principal for having the gloss red installed for less than a month.

Ordered the matte buttons and the OEM start/stop so it would match. Hopefully I'll get them in before the end of the week so I can install this weekend. I'll post before (gloss red) and after photos when they're in.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #40
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, ****it, couldn't help myself. Not even out of principal for having the gloss red installed for less than a month.

Ordered the matte buttons and the OEM start/stop so it would match. Hopefully I'll get them in before the end of the week so I can install this weekend. I'll post before (gloss red) and after photos when they're in.
Same here.. Just ordered the matte ones. I don't even drive the car at the moment. (Put away for winter) I just want to sleep better at night after all this.

Good thing I have a friend that purchased my gloss ones off of me.
      01-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #41
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
OK, was excited to receive the matte ones today and I got them installed a little while ago.

A few notes and one big frustration:

The color difference in the OEM start/stop is something of a metallic, cherry red vs the gloss red of the IND start/stop. Low light doesn't show off how bright the IND one is.

INDs all gloss ones definitely match each other. But the OEM button and matte ones have a bit of a different shade; the M1 and M2 don't have the cherry color. It's actually harder to tell the more light there is, and given the distance between the two it doesn't bother me. The matte ones definitely look better against the OEM matte gray steering wheel buttons.

But two steps forward, one back. After getting everything reassembled and hooking up the battery, I immediately noticed that the amber light in the M1 is significantly lower than the M2 and OEMs. The M2 nearly matches the OEMs, but the M1 is super dim. The gloss ones were dimmer too but at least the same dimness. After sinking $300 into these button sets I'm peeved. I reached out to IND to see if I can exchange the M1 for one with more consistent lighting quality.

Another side note I didn't realize, the OEM Red start/stop lights more white than amber. I wasn't expecting that, but it matches fairly close the gauges (not quite as white, sort it white/Amber) so I think it looks OK.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #42
paulo_f80m3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2001 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Oh, jeez.. Mine come in on Monday.

Quote:
OK, was excited to receive the matte ones today and I got them installed a little while ago.

A few notes and one big frustration:

The color difference in the OEM start/stop is something of a metallic, cherry red vs the gloss red of the IND start/stop. Low light doesn't show off how bright the IND one is.

INDs all gloss ones definitely match each other. But the OEM button and matte ones have a bit of a different shade; the M1 and M2 don't have the cherry color. It's actually harder to tell the more light there is, and given the distance between the two it doesn't bother me. The matte ones definitely look better against the OEM matte gray steering wheel buttons.

But two steps forward, one back. After getting everything reassembled and hooking up the battery, I immediately noticed that the amber light in the M1 is significantly lower than the M2 and OEMs. The M2 nearly matches the OEMs, but the M1 is super dim. The gloss ones were dimmer too but at least the same dimness. After sinking $300 into these button sets I'm peeved. I reached out to IND to see if I can exchange the M1 for one with more consistent lighting quality.

Another side note I didn't realize, the OEM Red start/stop lights more white than amber. I wasn't expecting that, but it matches fairly close the gauges (not quite as white, sort it white/Amber) so I think it looks OK.
      01-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #43
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
IND already has a replacement in the mail to me. I'll update if it's actually an improvement over the one in there now.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #44
figure99
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
IND already has a replacement in the mail to me. I'll update if it's actually an improvement over the one in there now.
Do you notice more of a ridge on the matte M1/M2 buttons, similar to the OEM ones? That's my biggest issue with the gloss IND ones, my finger slips right off of them without any definition.

Can you post some pictures in more light once the M1 button replacement comes in? Thanks!
Appreciate 0