R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

08-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #67
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I'm surprised once again, BMW won lol (even barely). Could have swore the C63 S is going to run away with it.
      08-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #68
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
That's how the E9X won it's comparisons too. You'd think these wannabes would catch on. Maybe you could explain the difference in how pulling 1.02 g differs from pulling .98 g?

PS. This genre / formula was created by AMG not BMW.

In other words M-B just celebrated AMG 's 45th anniversary vs M division's 40th anniversary.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #69
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1.47fan View Post
Expect the next M3/M4 to be bigger-er, plug-in hybrid.
yep, the next M will win yet again in C&D's review because it will have more rear leg space, better fuel economy, more trunk volume.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 06:22 PM   #70
Kyosho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 // Panamera Turbo

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Motor Trend's review of the three cars.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #71
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Its a "golden age" of automobiles right now. Performance that was only available in a high priced supercar is now available at affordable prices to mere mortals. I remember when I bought a used first gen Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX (200hp) in the mid 90s and gave the VIN to my insurance agent, he said "that is classified as a high performance vehicle".

These days, with a few add-ons and a tune, you can get 300HP out of a Ford Fiesta. Pretty amazing.
      08-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #72
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenu8187 View Post
Interestingly is how the BMW fell short on chassis( even with the lowest weight and carbon fiber goodness) and engine and brakes even with those CCBs. It won largely due to having the smallest engine and thus 3 points bonus for fuel economy over the other two( this likely has been previously mentioned, I haven't read every post yet).

Though I will likely still pick up an F80 next regardless, as the Cadillac is hideously ugly and the merc is just not my style albeit compelling

I hope BMW takes notice of it's relatively mediocre reception of the new M3 over the previous generations( across almost every comparo) and really picks it up for the next generation. Electric turbos(no choice here) more carbon fiber(like a CF tub please), and a more visceral experience for the senses
Mediocre reception??

M3's are hard to get and they're not sitting on dealer's lots.

BMW is having no issues selling the M3 whatsoever.
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #73
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

In my book, these cars are pretty much the same -- subjectivity is really what pushes you to one car or the other. You gotta give GM props for joining this discussion so fast. Geez... You would think it would take them a few years to jump in this discussion with the big boys of this segment. That chassis is no joke.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #74
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Good stuff, nothing out of the norm

08-18-2015, 07:51 PM   #75
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlgray View Post
What's up with after market looking screen on the C63?
I'll never understand BMW and Mercedes basically sticking a tablet on the dashboard. No surround...just there.

I remember thinking it would be trick to mount an iPad somewhere in a car. These new iterations make me think that I might've been high...
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #76
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
In my book, these cars are pretty much the same -- subjectivity is really what pushes you to one car or the other. You gotta give GM props for joining this discussion so fast. Geez... You would think it would take them a few years to jump in this discussion with the big boys of this segment. That chassis is no joke.
Exactly. You would've expected them to take generations to sort the chassis out. They got it right on the first swing.

The hard part...and probably more expensive...will be to get the interiors up to snuff. Folks have to realize that they sell tons more chevy's than they do Cadillacs. It's gonna take some major coin to use 'bespoke' knobs, switchgear and dials for just 3 or 4 models. Especially when those models aren't the money makers.

But...as someone whose first car was a 1989 Beretta GTU (with the ubiquitous 2.8L V6) and whose 2nd car was an Olds Calais with that peaky Quad 4....I'm extremely proud of Cadillac. They've come a long way since the Cimarron and Allante...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #77
Stallion150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlgray View Post
What's up with after market looking screen on the C63?
Not feeling this either. Rest of the interior better than the M3 IMO.
      08-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #78
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
[/B]

Finally, someone else sees it the same way I do. This is the furthest thing from a win for the M3/M4.

it won, based on a certain criteria. If only winning performance categories matters, why even have comparos, just line up a bunch of speed based stats regardless of the package it comes in, be it 2 doors, race cars, where do you stop?...is the Bugatti veyron the best car ever then since its the fastest? You have to have some criteria- and in this comparo it's sedans. A lot of people who buy them need the practicality aspect.

I wouldn't buy any of these cars if they rode like crap and hurt every time i drove em and other wise were complete pain in the asses. It doesn't make me less of a man to care about fuel economy or back seat room.

Not fan boy-ing here, I get the spirit of what you're saying that the BMW lost some performance categories... but it still won based on the big picture. I just think the comment "furthest thing from a win" is arguably as short sighted as the short sighted ness you preach against. It also lost the same comparo in the other magazines..and any car enthusiast can pretty much conclude the cars are all pretty sweet.

I say this w respect and it's your opinion, just commenting on that that's all.
      08-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #79
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

"Outsteered by the cadilllac"

Are you paying attention BMW!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #80
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post
I'll never understand BMW and Mercedes basically sticking a tablet on the dashboard. No surround...just there.

I remember thinking it would be trick to mount an iPad somewhere in a car. These new iterations make me think that I might've been high...
There is a reason for these so called "tablet or iPad" thingy. As these screens gets bigger, it's getting more difficult to integrate them without a huge hump on the dash, especially in the smaller cars. The tacked on allows bigger screens, and lower dash, which makes the interior more airy, and improve outward visibility
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #81
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I thought the article was a good read.

The ATSV's 0-150mph time is respectable and makes you wonder. But the interior of the car overshadows anything Cadillac has going for it. Such good talent gone to waste. This is a segment of cars in which every aspect counts, so not surprised the ATSV got last place.

I don't understand Mercedes' transmissions. I have an '09 S550 and biggest gripe has to be the transmission. There are weird lags and lurches here and there. The slush box just feels weird and downplays the whole driving experience. Unfortunately it appears much hasn't changed. And don't understand the hate for the column mounted shifter.. once the car is in drive what business do you have putting your hand back down there?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #82
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavRick View Post

There is a reason for these so called "tablet or iPad" thingy. As these screens gets bigger, it's getting more difficult to integrate them without a huge hump on the dash, especially in the smaller cars. The tacked on allows bigger screens, and lower dash, which makes the interior more airy, and improve outward visibility
Bingo. I hated the nav hump on the E9X.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #83
frcotting
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual
I don't understand what's the big deal with the start/stop button, It's been mentioned on plenty of reviews. You don't even have to press it twice... If the engine goes to ready when you park, unbuckle, then open your door and lock. Everything just shuts off when you lock the car. I've never had to press the button twice unless I'm trying to put the windshield wipers up or something.
Yeah. What the heck are they talking about when they say you have to press the start/stop button twice to turn off the car? I have an X1 and an M4 and they both turn on and off the same way - with one press of the button.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #84
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
Sorry man...but they could've integrated it into the dash without a hump. It looks extremely lazy. Almost out of place. I'd almost rather it raised outta the dash than to just look like the stuck it there with some L brackets...
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2015, 10:12 PM   #85
MavRick
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Bingo. I hated the nav hump on the E9X.
That 'hump' was there because last gen screens washed out with sunlight glare. They needed a 'hood' over the screen to make sure you could see it, regardless of sunlight. Latest gen screens don't need that. They most def could've been integrated better...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 10:25 PM   #86
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

The Merc also lost points for ride comfort because tires were ridiculously overinflated (for mpg purposes)

C&D rules state that they have to inflate the tires to the settings recommended on the door. In the user manual, they list the "normal" recommended settings. Trying to cheat their way into a few more mpg may have cost the Benz this comparison victory.

I think it could have won or at least tied otherwise
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:19 PM   #87
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toy

Garage List
Too close to call.
Sold - 2003 E46 M3 LSB SMG
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #88
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosho View Post
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

Motor Trend's review of the three cars.
Wow! The M3 being the slowest around the track.
Quote:
We happily let Pobst run all three cars around Willow Springs International Raceway's 2.42-mile circuit (the big track, aka Big Willow), and here are the results, in descending order: BMW M3 1:32.51, C63 1:31.52, Caddy ATS-V 1:31.43.*
Appreciate 0