R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Two Easter Day Crashes Narrowly Averted!!!

Situation #1:

I happily volunteer to pick up the food for our family Easter brunch. First time ever putting food in my car so I was already in partial freak out mode. It was just too sunny and nice of a day to take the other car!

Before leaving the house I put two rubber floor mats in the trunk to put the pans of food on. I get to the restaurant and load up the food. Perfect fit on the mats. I ensure they are sealed nice and tight. Meatballs and pasta would not be a good mix in the trunk!

So I start my drive home. Nice and EXTRA careful. Especially on the turns. I get within about two miles of my house ,on a two lane county road,and then it happens.....

.....a SQUIRREL DARTS out onto the other lane heading right for me!!!

What do I do?!

Flash to mind options:

1. Run the F'er down and risk some damage to the front of the car plus blood n guts?

2. Swerve to avoid the bastid and risk a trunk full of pasta and meatballs?

3. Do nothing and pray the rat makes it across the road?

In an instant I went with option three. And I just barely missed! It was so close I would not be shocked if I did not run over its tail!

Situation #2:

My father-in-law always asks me about the car. He is not a huge car buff but has good taste and appreciates/respects cars ect. When he got to my place I said we should go for a drive around the block.

Now before I get into details about what happened next you need some background on my FIL. He is the type of guy that you would picture in your mind when you hear the phrase 'bull in a china shop'. The kind of person that would repair a watch with a sledgehammer. The kind of person that would think we are all nuts discussing what type of method to use to dry a car and what products to use.

I think you get the idea...

So it is time for him to head home and we are out in the driveway. And I say how about that ride in the BMW?

He says yes....and to MY UTTER HORROR HE OPENS THE DRIVERS DOOR!!!

Flash to mind options:

1. Quickly say thank you, give him a high five, and jump behind the wheel?

2. Fain food poisoning turn around and make myself barf?

3. Reach in pocket for key and can't find it...stall in finding it until he leaves?

4. Consider it is Easter and walk slowly to the passenger seat in order to say about 9,999 prayers before sealing my fate?

I went with option four! OMG it was the scariest ride I have ever had in a car lol! I won't get into all of the details but there was no damage to my car, or any other physical objects. However, I think one of my neighbor's now is very pissed at me! She would not even wave when we went by the second time. Just gave a very evil eye. Well at least he had a blast.

Have you guys had any near misses with your rides? Post the stories!
      03-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Lol Epic post...

No pics didn't happen lol
Appreciate 3
      03-27-2016, 05:42 PM   #3
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

One thing I love about my 6MT - means at least half the people I know can't ask to drive it, so I only have to say no to the other half
Appreciate 6
      03-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington
Lol Epic post...

No pics didn't happen lol
Without question the best pic would have been the one of my face when he opened up that door!!!
      03-27-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz
One thing I love about my 6MT - means at least half the people I know can't ask to drive it, so I only have to say no to the other half
That is an interesting point to bring up for two reasons.

1. Before we took off I tried to explain how the DCT worked. But again this man is more of the type never measure cut often....so he kept trying to shift it as though it was a manual. He would not let me explain anything...which again I expected the second he sat down. I also thought about that was I was running through my self preservation algorithms.

2. During the horrifying drive I said I 100% wanted to get a manual. But your daughter vetoed that in the event she had to drive. And guess how many times she has driven it...0. She is too afraid of it
      03-27-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

That's FUNNY Op! Well, funny NOW that it's over, I'm sure...
Whew...
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1701.50
      03-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
2. During the horrifying drive I said I 100% wanted to get a manual. But your daughter vetoed that in the event she had to drive. And guess how many times she has driven it...0. She is too afraid of it
For various reasons I had to cancel my M3 order, and now have gone back wanting one. My original order is currently at the port awaiting shipping - minus my individual color, my moonroof, and my 6MT - the dealer put a DCT in it. I can get it end of April. I am really torn - to the point I am trying to find a dealer with an allocation. I've only had 1 automatic in my life, and just don't like them (yes, I know it's not an auto etc. but in my view "it's not a manual!").
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1701.50
      03-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
s0ul
Coder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 328xi, '16 F82 (soon)

Man, situation #1 happens to me so often, sometimes with birds, squirrels, rabbits and the occasional pedestrians (joking).
      03-27-2016, 06:40 PM   #9
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have another story but this one was not a near miss. It was a dead on hit.

When I was in high school many moons ago I let this amazing girl drive my car. She was a car gal through and through. Super hot and the valedictorian of the class below me.

Anyhow she was driving and came over the crest of this hill on a two lane road...and to both of our utter horror a momma duck was leading her little yellow ducklings across the street!!! Momma had just got to the berm of our side of the street. She took out like five ducklings...in the rearview mirror all we saw was the mommy and the three that were left on the other side of the road! : (

Another time I picked her up from her house at around 1:00 am. She was driving again...another two lane country road....BAM! She hit a raccoon!!!!

I she was not so smoking hot and smart I think I would have banned her from my life for fear of what would happen next (cow anyone)!
      03-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #10
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Quote:
So true

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
LayZA55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO/SS F80 6MT

Quote:

When I was in high school many moons ago I let this amazing girl drive my car. She was a car gal through and through. Super hot and the valedictorian of the class below me.

Anyhow she was driving and came over the crest of this hill on a two lane road...and to both of our utter horror a momma duck was leading her little yellow ducklings across the street!!! Momma had just got to the berm of our side of the street. She took out like five ducklings...in the rearview mirror all we saw was the mommy and the three that were left on the other side of the road! : (

Another time I picked her up from her house at around 1:00 am. She was driving again...another two lane country road....BAM! She hit a raccoon!!!!

I she was not so smoking hot and smart I think I would have banned her from my life for fear of what would happen next (cow anyone)!
Did you marry her?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #12
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayZA55
Quote:

Did you marry her?
I did not but luckily I upgraded and lived!
      03-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #13
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

I love animals.

A hare suddenly jumped on the country road while my father was going about 70 mph (I was in the passenger seat)... Hit it with the car's left fog light. I just remember it just flew over the car and that we came back home with a damaged bumper with some blood on it.

A few years later I drove over a cat that just decided to check my undercarriage while I was driving in the city. You should see the people's faces. :O
      03-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I love animals.

A hare suddenly jumped on the country road while my father was going about 70 mph (I was in the passenger seat)... Hit it with the car's left fog light. I just remember it just flew over the car and that we came back home with a damaged bumper with some blood on it.

A few years later I drove over a cat that just decided to check my undercarriage while I was driving in the city. You should see the people's faces. :O
Hahah... what does Xtabi have against cats???
Attached Images

03-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
I love animals.

Hahah... what does Xtabi have against cats???
      03-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #16
$hah$
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 MG/MT/ZCP & 2023 X7

Garage List
2023 BMW X7  [0.00]
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]

This post is too funny, b/c I have been in situations like this all the time. As someone else mentioned that is why I go with manual trans, because most people don't know how to drive manuals including my wife.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 07:38 PM   #17
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi

I took out a raccoon that ran out in front of my 335i when I first got it 5 years ago doing about 70 MPH on the freeway. That wasn't pretty. $1,300 later the front bumper cover was replaced and painted. On the same stretch of highway I took out a wild turkey that ran out in front of my work van last year. That guy exploded and flew up over my van but its a tank so it didn't cause any damage, except to him of course. When they run out in front of you on the freeway it's almost impossible to avoid.
      03-28-2016, 08:02 PM   #18
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough View Post
I took out a raccoon that ran out in front of my 335i when I first got it 5 years ago doing about 70 MPH on the freeway. That wasn't pretty. $1,300 later the front bumper cover was replaced and painted. On the same stretch of highway I took out a wild turkey that ran out in front of my work van last year. That guy exploded and flew up over my van but its a tank so it didn't cause any damage, except to him of course. When they run out in front of you on the freeway it's almost impossible to avoid.
I got a blackbird in my Z3 about 17 years ago. He must have hit one of the "blades" in the front because he was cut in half and embedded in the engine bay. Extracting his medium rare to well done remains was not fun
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #19
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi

I could not imagine hitting a raccoon while on the freeway! That must have been horrible to stomach as it was happening because you had to know there was going to be fallout.
      03-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #20
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough View Post
I got a blackbird in my Z3 about 17 years ago. He must have hit one of the "blades" in the front because he was cut in half and embedded in the engine bay. Extracting his medium rare to well done remains was not fun
I'll take mine medium well please!
      03-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #21
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
I love animals.

Be thankful you didn't run over a SKUNK!! Oh, the aroma!!
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #22
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Crisis averted? It started with a haircut, and not much time... but let's go back six months to when I signed the papers for my new M3.

Bad: In September when I bought my car - I felt like a sucker for buying the extended warranties, including windshield
Bad: Today at lunch, I was rushing to get a haircut on a tight schedule and I was driving a bit like a BMW assh0le (but just barely folks... I'm actually rather polite)
Bad: A damn rock put a chip bigger than a quarter in my windshield during the brisk BMWesque driving.
Good: My regular stylist gave me the excellent haircut she always does. And she comped it because it was recently my b-day.
Good: I called the dealer and I'm fully covered for the windshield to be repaired (hopefully) or if necessary, replaced with a BMW OEM that maintains the quality for the HUD and wiper sensor. WITH a service loaner too. AND no deductible.

Yep!! Crisis Averted!!
Appreciate 1