Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-01-2022, 01:34 PM   #45
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
I had the same problem about 6 months ago.
When car sat, it would smoke like this.
Had turbos removed. Oil was noted by myself on the exhaust side.
No shaft play.
Sent turbos in. They said the exhaust seal had a step in it. They rebuilt the turbos and sent them back, the smoking stopped.
Never noticed any smoking when driving. Just after letting the car sit.
there is nobody here in the states that can rebuild S55 turbos yet.

They said no parts available. Must only be in germany?

ecutek - bend calibration pro tune - flex fuel - mpe - stock turbos - oem+
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 04:55 PM   #46
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf_m3 View Post

pure turbos califonia.

If It was stock turbos I would just get new turbos
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      03-02-2022, 01:43 PM   #47
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Quote:
pure turbos califonia.

Yeah same, if my stock turbo(s) had gone bad I'd just go ahead and upgrade. Thankfully Pure was easy to work with and the car has been fine since having the CHA replaced on mine.

Gets to be a pretty expensive job labor-wise, so I'd use the opportunity to run something else (budget allowing, of course).
      03-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #48
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Yeah same, if my stock turbo(s) had gone bad I'd just go ahead and upgrade. Thankfully Pure was easy to work with and the car has been fine since having the CHA replaced on mine.

Gets to be a pretty expensive job labor-wise, so I'd use the opportunity to run something else (budget allowing, of course).
yeah i mean its great that they will cover the turbo but unfortunately now having three installs under my belt i'm pushing 3 grand in labor.

If it happens again i'm putting stock turbos on and selling the fkn thing
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 11:46 PM   #49
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

pure turbos califonia.

Right, I meant stock rebuilds. I've searched and there are no replacement parts available yet.

Just pures Which are fine but, I've heard it's hit or miss with QC these days.

I rather just buy new stock turbos for 2 grand.

If that were ever the case.

Appreciate 1
      03-08-2022, 11:48 PM   #50
papasmurf_m3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

yeah i mean its great that they will cover the turbo but unfortunately now having three installs under my belt i'm pushing 3 grand in labor.

If it happens again i'm putting stock turbos on and selling the fkn thing
Good gawd 3 times.

Sorry to hear and yes this is what I'm talking about QC… idk 🤷🏻*♂️ I have a buddy with used pures and loves it maybe older ones less Issues?

Another buddy on his 3rd set of pures recent purchase.

Appreciate 2
      03-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #51
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good gawd 3 times.

Sorry to hear and yes this is what I'm talking about QC… idk 🤷🏻*♂️ I have a buddy with used pures and loves it maybe older ones less Issues?

Another buddy on his 3rd set of pures recent purchase.
Yeah i'm basically sunk for two full installs. If I have a problem again I probably won't be utilizing the next set and go to a big single or something else.
      03-11-2022, 05:44 PM   #52
calicruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Eff80

Quote:
Yeah i'm basically sunk for two full installs. If I have a problem again I probably won't be utilizing the next set and go to a big single or something else.
This is intriguing, I know of 5 cars who are on their 2nd/3rd set of Pures in a short period of time. All with the same issue of smoking at idle/coming to a stop. Single may be the way to go.
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      03-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #53
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicruisin View Post
This is intriguing, I know of 5 cars who are on their 2nd/3rd set of Pures in a short period of time. All with the same issue of smoking at idle/coming to a stop. Single may be the way to go.
haha yeah, that really sucks that you know of that many people going through turbos too. Their brand carries/carried a good bit of clout across the aftermarket but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit soured on the experience.

Hindsight is 20/20 and may have gone a different route had I known. Unfortunately how it goes sometimes.
      05-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #54
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Coming back around unfortunately as the saga continues - got a big 'ol puff of oil smoke again on cold start this afternoon. Car still drives totally fine and no appearance of smoke at any other point.

I may wait until I pick up a LPFP and do the Dorch lift kit at the same time as having the turbos checked out again.
      05-25-2022, 07:12 PM   #55
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

^^WTS, are you serious!! That blows man, sorry to hear that.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      05-25-2022, 08:00 PM   #56
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Damn just read through the thread a few days ago when looking into turbo upgraded. Sucks to hear your dealing with this again. Thanks for sharing your experience though. This info is extremely helpful for those thinking of going this route. Big single is looking better and better everyday
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      05-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #57
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
^^WTS, are you serious!! That blows man, sorry to hear that.
Seriously, i'm very very disappointed after not having any smoking for several months. Nothing else has changed in the setup so it all points back to a turbo issue again (maybe the front one now?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI///M3 View Post
Damn just read through the thread a few days ago when looking into turbo upgraded. Sucks to hear your dealing with this again. Thanks for sharing your experience though. This info is extremely helpful for those thinking of going this route. Big single is looking better and better everyday
Totally glad to share how it's gone for me. We'll see what I end up doing but I'm going to take a very hard look at some of the single kits and what other options there are - assuming it is a turbo again. Whenever I get ready to turn the wick up a little bit I run into stuff like this and it's pretty exhausting.
      08-18-2022, 12:02 AM   #58
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Quote:
Seriously, i'm very very disappointed after not having any smoking for several months. Nothing else has changed in the setup so it all points back to a turbo issue again (maybe the front one now?)

Totally glad to share how it's gone for me. We'll see what I end up doing but I'm going to take a very hard look at some of the single kits and what other options there are - assuming it is a turbo again. Whenever I get ready to turn the wick up a little bit I run into stuff like this and it's pretty exhausting.

Did you ever get to the bottom of your turbo nightmare?

Glad I read this thread, mine need replacing after sustaining damage from hitting road debris, so I thought I may take the opportunity to "upgrade" with some aftermarket sets, but these horror stories have steered me back towards stock units.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #59
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ram View Post
Did you ever get to the bottom of your turbo nightmare?

Glad I read this thread, mine need replacing after sustaining damage from hitting road debris, so I thought I may take the opportunity to "upgrade" with some aftermarket sets, but these horror stories have steered me back towards stock units.
I haven't had any smoking issues again, at least not consistently in any way, shape or form since having the CHRA replaced in the rear unit. I definitely have had an instance or two since then, but not sure what to make of that.

I talked to my shop the other day and they asked me about the same honestly. They said that they've had a few sets needing to be replaced or rebuilt. It seems like there's a decent enough failure/issue rate to be concerning but I also hate throwing mud when i'm not certain.

I read about fewer problems with some of the other options but they're also not as utilized as frequently so the sample size isn't nearly as large. Mosselman makes a pretty compelling option imo. I'm not as well read on some of the others but given your situation, I'd upgrade to larger but not sure which direction i'd go again for twins.

Starting from scratch I'd probably do a 4N single setup. Hypothetically i'd have come out ahead going that route once I factor in my time and multiple installs of the Pures.
      08-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #60
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

It's strange, for the last 26 years I've sold HD diesel parts, and can count on two fingers the turbo failures after rebuilds I've seen. Hard to believe the issues I've read about, but definitely scares a guy off.

Dealing with insurance, so I'm probably fairly limited into options regardless, may be "stuck" going with stock. That being said, the car ran flawless for the 15,000 miles I've had it for. And I do trips to visit my bother (about 550 miles away) through the Rocky Mtns, so definitely need reliability.
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      08-26-2022, 12:00 PM   #61
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Smoking hasn't been an issue (yet) but my rear turbo is oily again like it was when it started smoking last time

In going through the process of tracking down a boost leak (seems to be my CTS j-pipe vacuum connector on the front) I took it in to have the wg checked to ensue they were closing all the way and got the call that the same turbo is having issues.

At this point i'm going to just keep on it and see if it gets bad again, take it from there.
      01-26-2024, 05:22 PM   #62
kenf80
Private
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

This is the thread I have been looking for.

About 6 months ago I was just sitting idling in my driveway after a hard run, gave it a little rev stationary and a puff of white smoke came out of the exhaust and smelt a mixture of sweet and burnt.

I check both coolant tanks and j-pipe and no leaks all good there.

Got BMW to check for any oil leaks and was all good there and turbos and everything are clean.

It doesn't happen all the time for me except for when I'm doing a hard pull WOT the smoke come out constantly from ONLY THE LEFT exhaust tips.

I have noticed the video where upon accelration there is smoke and a lot of condensation/liquid coming out of the left tips. I have the exact same issue

I am on stock turbos at 75K miles and running Alpine MSS Stage 2+ for about 20,000 miles.

I guess I can take it it in and start at the rear turbo as a point of narrowing it down.
Appreciate 0