Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

09-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Akmenace22
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991C2

On the fence

Wow - not sure what it say..... walked into the BMW dealership not expecting much but now seriously considering trading in my 991 911B for the M4. Am I crazy?

I've always wanted a 911 and figured once I had one, it would be in my garage for a long, long time. I owned the new 981 boxster for a year before it and absolutely loved it except for the lack of power and the fugly rear end. Decided to move up to the iconic 911 when used ones started popping up within my price range. There is just something special with the suspension, handling and sound with P cars. Then I drove my first M car and now left wondering if I prefer the luxury coupe to the old fashioned sports car.

I drove both the manual and DCT version back to back and while it wasn't as refined as the 911, there was something raw and visceral about the M4 that I really enjoyed. The full leather interior was spot on and all the tech made my porsche look like it was from the 80s. Since I don't track my cars (yet), I'm not sure the 911 has anything on the M4 except status, a bit more exclusivity and perhaps classic styling if you aren't into the aggressive M styling.

Have any M owners crossed over from the P family? Any regrets?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
s4awd
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 GT3RS, 08 E92 M3, 06 Evo IX

Did you prefer the manual or DCT?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Akmenace22
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991C2

The manual felt a bit rough but I attribute that to my first time in the car. I drove the DCT second and while slightly faster, the instant shifts jerked you into the seat on all the highest sport/shift settings. I didn't like it and still think the PDK is a better transmission. Maybe it was the combination of settings but I didn't like it and would go with the manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Kurt_OH
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmenace22 View Post
I drove both the manual and DCT version back to back and while it wasn't as refined as the 911, there was something raw and visceral about the M4 that I really enjoyed. The full leather interior was spot on and all the tech made my porsche look like it was from the 80s.
You're joking, right?

So the car with the active diff, fake sound pumped in, turbos, rev matching, full leather and "all the tech" felt "raw and visceral", VS the 911 that is like it "was from the '80s"?

It sounds like you've made up your mind that you want a new M3, and you're searching for a reason.

If you want it, get it. Cars like this are about passion, not logic. None of us NEEDS 0-60 in under 4 seconds or an 8 minute 'Ring time in our street car.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
fortressmaximus
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Quote:
I drove both the manual and DCT version back to back and while it wasn't as refined as the 911, there was something raw and visceral about the M4 that I really enjoyed. The full leather interior was spot on and all the tech made my porsche look like it was from the 80s.
You're joking, right?

So the car with the active diff, fake sound pumped in, turbos, rev matching, full leather and "all the tech" felt "raw and visceral", VS the 911 that is like it "was from the '80s"?

It sounds like you've made up your mind that you want a new M3, and you're searching for a reason.

If you want it, get it. Cars like this are about passion, not logic. None of us NEEDS 0-60 in under 4 seconds or an 8 minute 'Ring time in our street car.
Strictly from a technology standpoint, the combination of standard and optional technology available in the M4 does indeed make the Porsche seem like the Porsche is ancient. This is coming from a longtime Porsche and BMW M owner.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
M4isKing
Banned
Rep
Drives: no torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortressmaximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH
Quote:
You're joking, right?

Strictly from a technology standpoint, the combination of standard and optional technology available in the M4 does indeed make the Porsche seem like the Porsche is ancient. This is coming from a longtime Porsche and BMW M owner.
thats the great thing about porsche. steering wheel, pedals. seat.

unless you start optioning crazy stuff you dont need.

my cayman gts options were: power mirrors (for parking!), sports suspension (free) and fire extinguisher (because racecar).

cant even get the gts seats in the car without it if you dont option it
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4isKing View Post
I really wish this is the case. The 'technology' a.k.a the electronics behind the scenes has become so obtrusive with Porsches that it is truly taking away from the experience. The PSM/ABS issues, the throttle mapping, air/fuel mixture constraints, PTV, etc. You don't option them of course (except PTV), they are forced onto you in the way they see fit. Nowadays all manufacturers do that to some extent, but Porsche's has become quite intrusive IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS
Quote:
I really wish this is the case. The 'technology' a.k.a the electronics behind the scenes has become so obtrusive with Porsches that it is truly taking away from the experience. The PSM/ABS issues, the throttle mapping, air/fuel mixture constraints, PTV, etc. You don't option them of course (except PTV), they are forced onto you in the way they see fit. Nowadays all manufacturers do that to some extent, but Porsche's has become quite intrusive IMHO.
I have no clue what those things are but turn all nannies off, no adaptive suspension, a manual gearbox, a diff, sports exhaust and drive hard. Mid/rear engine balance.

I picture it pretty much as that. As close to pure you can get these days?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As close to pure you can get these days?
As I mentioned, I wish it was that simple, but with the 987/981 platform it isn't. There are settings and calibrations that you cannot adjust/change and most often you don't even know they are there, those are the ones that really bugs me. I suspect/guess, there is some purposefulness on Porsche's part with such things.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I traded my 997 C2S in for an e92 M3 and never looked back. the M3 is a far more suitable car for the road and was just as exciting of a daily drive. can't wait to get into the new M3. after test driving it, there's no question it is a huge improvement over the outgoing model
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
M4isKing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
As I mentioned, I wish it was that simple, but with the 987/981 platform it isn't. There are settings and calibrations that you cannot adjust/change and most often you don't even know they are there, those are the ones that really bugs me. I suspect/guess, there is some purposefulness on Porsche's part with such things.
I guess I'm asking what these are? I know you mentioned some things in the earlier post but what else is there that will prevent me from having a better manual-like experience?

I guess throttle mapping is what it is though....as long as its instantaneous, it's all good!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep

No, no, I think you will enjoy the car superbly, fantastic car, nearly all Porsches are. There are few things behind the scenes that keep me away from them after 10 years of being a near-fanatic. Have fun, don't think too much about the issues, be careful and watchful at the track, don't over do it. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
cah1708
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Wow - not sure what it say..... walked into the BMW dealership not expecting much but now seriously considering trading in my 991 911B for the M4. Am I crazy?

I've always wanted a 911 and figured once I had one, it would be in my garage for a long, long time. I owned the new 981 boxster for a year before it and absolutely loved it except for the lack of power and the fugly rear end. Decided to move up to the iconic 911 when used ones started popping up within my price range. There is just something special with the suspension, handling and sound with P cars. Then I drove my first M car and now left wondering if I prefer the luxury coupe to the old fashioned sports car.

I drove both the manual and DCT version back to back and while it wasn't as refined as the 911, there was something raw and visceral about the M4 that I really enjoyed. The full leather interior was spot on and all the tech made my porsche look like it was from the 80s. Since I don't track my cars (yet), I'm not sure the 911 has anything on the M4 except status, a bit more exclusivity and perhaps classic styling if you aren't into the aggressive M styling.

I currently drive a 2014 Cayman S and am seriously considering trading it in for a 2015 M4 Cv. I love how the CS looks and how it drives, but the PCM technology (or lack thereof) drives me nuts. A few years back I went from an E46 to the 1st generation Cayman S, and always regretted it. Now it looks like I'm going to go in the other direction. My dealer has a slot open, so I have to decide quick.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:

I think quite a few of us are on this "fence" regarding the 991 C2-4S vs M4, myself included. Here is how I see these cars. I have to say though that I have not yet driven the M4!!. (I do own a 997.2GT3RS and my better half drives a 991 C2S cab (pdk).
The 991 especially the C4S is a great DD car if you do need some rear seats but not much. I could put my younger one back there for a short ride, like from school to home etc. The M4 is much larger and easier to live with. However it comes in RWD only. Which is an issue for me. I had two occasions last year when I could not use the M3 (winter tires etc) due to major snow. I do not and cannot fit one more car in my garage. So the FWD is a major plus on the P car.
The new (991) C2S drives way less busy and less exciting than the 997.2 but have way more comfort much much nicer interior less noise etc. Difficult to compare to my GT3RS though since it is heavily modified but the brutal visceral feel is missing from the 991 we have. It is not slow though.
Right now I think, I will go with the new GTS4 (will be announced in November on the LA show) which is C4S with power pack basically. However I will test drive the M4 and that may change a few things.
Appreciate 0