proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 YMB M3 Comp

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
PDC retrofit: any experiences?

I searched long and hard to get specific specs when i was car shopping, but i saw a solid deal that forced my hand. Drawback was that it didnt have the executive pkg (albiet O prioritized a 6 speed with a warranty) so I figured with the coupe of grand i saved versus the examples available I could retrofit.

Long story short, was wondering if anyone has had any luck in doing this? Want to know what Im getting into. My front bumper needs to get resprayed too so it works out somewhat. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Not sure how helpful this post will be - but I know that OEM bumpers are drilled for PDC after spray at the body shop so respray isn’t necessary unless you are getting it done anyway. You will need a PDC mounting kit ($40-50ish) and sensors ($??), and IIRC PDC is a separate hardware unit and wiring harness as well, so it isn’t pure plug and play. I had my bumper resprayed for cosmetic reasons (in the East Bay!) so that’s the basis for my understanding
      12-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Not sure how helpful this post will be - but I know that OEM bumpers are drilled for PDC after spray at the body shop so respray isn’t necessary unless you are getting it done anyway. You will need a PDC mounting kit ($40-50ish) and sensors ($??), and IIRC PDC is a separate hardware unit and wiring harness as well, so it isn’t pure plug and play. I had my bumper resprayed for cosmetic reasons (in the East Bay!) so that’s the basis for my understanding
Anything helps bro! And where did you go in the east bay? I need to get it done as well....

But i know the bumpers have perforated marks where the pdc/camera holes can be punched out which is good, just seeing if someone had first jand experience doing it is all
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #4
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotflare View Post
Anything helps bro! And where did you go in the east bay? I need to get it done as well....

But i know the bumpers have perforated marks where the pdc/camera holes can be punched out which is good, just seeing if someone had first jand experience doing it is all
I went to Sunwise (OE BMW dealer) in Concord and the spray was $1,300. Surprisingly that actually wasn’t the most expensive quote I got but still in the general range (1200-1500). The caveat here is: I only reached out to highly reputable shops that specialize in higher end cars primarily because I have a metallic paint (mineral grey) and I wanted a flawless paint match. I went with Sunwise because it’s OE so they have the exact paint formula and they paint match perfectly, and I had a good experience with them on a different car. Since you’re Alpine White, the quote should be a bit lower and you probably don’t need to go to as expensive of a shop since it’s easier to color match
      12-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
Hotflare
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Lol the moment you said concord i was sweating hahah im in hayward ... but yeah, 1300 for a strong paint match is key, im thinking 700 ish for at least AW ... my quarter panel needs new clear and its hitting for 1200 already :-/ fml. Lol....

But punching a hole post spray shouldnt be bad for the retrofit im assuming
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #6
escribblings
Rep
Drives: F54 Mini Clubman

I've retrofitted to my F54 Mini Clubman. Drilled and then punched through the painted bumper without issue.

The link to the tool I used is in here:

MiniF56.com > Retrofit Genuine BMW/Mini towbar, reversing camera, and rear PDC - Adding 235, 3AG, 3AR, & 507 to F54 through Esys
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
Harrympower
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 Cabrio individual

Garage List
2006 BMW M3 cabrio  [10.00]
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
i see front pdc systems with 4 sensors and with 6 sersors on the F83 what is the difference?
Appreciate 0