GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

07-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #111
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Ok, back on topic....

The more and more I read, I keep coming back to the M4...

Current: 335i full bolt ons- putting out prob close to M4 power, issues: can't get the power down, squirms because it wasn't designed to have that much power, torque steer...
Choice: M4 - issues, traction gEtting the power down - new M4 owners, is this as big a deal as the magazines say?
Choice: C63 507: issues: traction, tail happy, doesn't handle as well as M4, bad gas mileage
Choice: RS5: issues: under steer, bad mileage, wait for new model?
Choice: GTR: issues, not refined, noises, expensive to maintain

M4 is truly an all rounder, it is beautiful, fast, the full package. Coming from a FBO 335, 6MT, is the really big difference going to be the DCT?

I hate my car spinning all my performance away, will the M4 have this same issue? The articles all say this is the case which is why I was going to go all wheel drive.

AMG owners does the 507 get it's power down?

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #112
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
Ok, back on topic....

Current: 335i full bolt ons- putting out prob close to M4 power, issues: can't get the power down, squirms because it wasn't designed to have that much power, torque steer...
Choice: M4 - issues, traction gEtting the power down - new M4 owners, is this as big a deal as the magazines say?
Choice: C63 507: issues: traction, tail happy, doesn't handle as well as M4, bad gas mileage

M4 is truly an all rounder, it is beautiful, fast, the full package. Coming from a FBO 335, 6MT, is the really big difference going to be the DCT?

I hate my car spinning all my performance away, will the M4 have this same issue? The articles all say this is the case which is why I was going to go all wheel drive.

The C63 and the GTR are getting refreshed next year. It is unclear if the RS5 is getting refreshed at all (at least in the US) and if it is, it'll be in 3 years. Also the GTR and RS5 both get 1mpg less than the M4...hardly "bad gas mileage." The C63 for sure gets bad gas mileage. The GTR also suffers significantly from understeer...the RS5 is actually fairly neutral if driven in manner to take advantage of torque vectoring. I would rethink your evaluation.

The M4 does have slight difficulty putting the power down if you're not judicious with throttle input and I'd argue that the DSC is too aggressive and cuts the power needlessly. However it's nowhere close to being as bad as the tuned N55s I've driven (whether 135i or 335i)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #113
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3
Quote:
Ok, back on topic....

The C63 and the GTR are getting refreshed next year. It is unclear if the RS5 is getting refreshed at all (at least in the US) and if it is, it'll be in 3 years. Also the GTR and RS5 both get 1mpg less than the M4...hardly "bad gas mileage." The C63 for sure gets bad gas mileage. The GTR also suffers significantly from understeer...the RS5 is actually fairly neutral if driven in manner to take advantage of torque vectoring. I would rethink your evaluation.

The M4 does have slight difficulty putting the power down if you're not judicious with throttle input and I'd argue that the DSC is too aggressive and cuts the power needlessly. However it's nowhere close to being as bad as the tuned N55s I've driven (whether 135i or 335i)
Thanks

Winter and wet conditions are always a factor in canada. Sounds like you would go RS5. The only issue with that is the performance upgrade limits on the RS5.

Would love to see a comparison with these three cars. C63, M4 and RS5

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #114
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Thanks

Winter and wet conditions are always a factor in canada. Sounds like you would go RS5. The only issue with that is the performance upgrade limits on the RS5.

Would love to see a comparison with these three cars. C63, M4 and RS5
Actually I'd take the M4 just for the sheer fact that it's the newest. just put snow tires on in the winter and leave traction control on in the wet and you'll be fine. That's arguably a strong point is that it's so easy to slide if you wanted to have tail-out fun -- can't do that in the RS5 or GTR (at least not to the extent that you can adjust the drift). Until the M4's competitors are refreshed in a year or two, it's not really going to have any competition if you're looking for an all-around sports car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #115
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Odds are I'd be quite happy owning and driving either one. I think I would probably pick the BMW just because it's more efficient and I prefer the slightly more subtle exterior appearance, but the cache of the C63 sharing it's power plant with the SLS is appealing. Regarding pure performance, both cars have more ability than I have skill to exploit, aside from slamming the throttle and going in a straight line, so that aspect probably wouldn't factor into it for me. Practically speaking, I think I'd have a very hard time choosing as I doubt either would be a daily driver for me, making moot (somewhat) the BMW's efficiency edge.

Some thoughts based on what I read:
  • Looks/design/styling (inside and out): Some folks like Monet and some like Mondrian. Both are quite nice and I doubt either looks bad. The only thing is that one's been around for a while and the other is new. Nice and old is still nice.
  • Steering feel: Seems like Porsche remains the only brand that figured out how to make it happen with electronic steering.
As for the review, seems like it was pretty fair and balanced and although the writers/editors stated a preference, they didn't present the article so as to make one feel that selecting the other car would be a poor decision. IMO, that's about as it should be concerning these two cars.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #116
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

In my opinion GT-R performance wise is in a different league than M3/M4, C63 or RS5. Neither car can touch GT-R for out right performance.

I am not so sure myself if M4 is gonna give that much of a different flavor than highly modified N54 335i. It will be better in some areas for sure but the flavor will be too similar I think for my taste specially given the price of an M4 might wait for M2 as it might be lighter and bit more hardcore. Thus, for now going C7 direction myself even though I really like the Jaguar F-Type and Cayman GTS.

Quote:
Ok, back on topic....

nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #117
thebigcheese
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Since you're in ontario i would most likely go with an awe car. Have you ever tried looking at an rs7?
Appreciate 0