Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #3213
Nativetexan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

That I could save the tire pressure readings under the 1-8 memory buttons.

Appreciate 1
65fastback1137.00
      09-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #3214
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

After about 3 weeks I finally realized I could adjust the height and the brightness of my heads up display. I actually turned it off after the first week because I thought it was too intrusive. Turns out the previous owner had it at max height and brightness... lol
      09-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #3215
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativetexan View Post
That I could save the tire pressure readings under the 1-8 memory buttons.

Cannot be overstated how useful those memory/macro buttons are. Every car should have them

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #3216
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Radek View Post
Just found out that the car actually sounds better in regular mode vs. Sports mode especially when you rev it out past 4K, maybe due to the fact that the turbos don't engage as quick in Comfort therefore not muffling the sound?
That's probably more a function of the valves being closed in comfort mode. Eventually they open even in comfort if you rev it up, like you said, past 4k. I have a VSC controller and it sounds the same in either mode when the valves are open. The difference is you'll hear the turbos spool earlier and harder in Sport and Sport+
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:21 PM   #3217
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caomei View Post
I learned that the exhaust valves do NOT stay open the entire time in sport/sport+. The valves shut off in 3rd gear at 20mph+. The annoying thing is that when I'm downshifting into 2nd and 1st gear while braking, I expect some nice downshift blips, but I really just get some silent fart can noise instead, which is REALLY embarrassing. If you're interested in testing this out, stay in sport/sport+, get into 3rd gear and over 21mph, downshift without stepping on the gas.
I think the way to get some proper downshift noise is: Stay in 3rd gear until speed is a little below 20mph, give it a little gas to reopen the exhaust valves(the same way you open the valves before starting the engine for a cool cold start), make sure to stay below 20mph, so not too much throttle, then downshift into 2nd and 1st.

Please let me know if this is not by design, and there exists a fix(I don't really want to unplug the active valve wires, that'll be too much for the neighbors to handle). Will the next gen M fix this? I heard the exhaust valves remain open if you shut off the car and restart in the next generation.

Cheers,
bumping this. would make so much sense if this was true. can anyone else confirm?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #3218
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by six75LT View Post
bumping this. would make so much sense if this was true. can anyone else confirm?
Yes, this is true. The valves' purpose seems to be to help reduce droning. That's why many of us run valve controllers to force them to stay open. This allows for a much more aggressive sound all the time, like throttle blipping on downshifts is way more pronuced. When I start to get a headache I just activate them back to the default mode.
Appreciate 2
six75LT916.50
bsmf8x778.50
      09-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #3219
Damian Radek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Quote:
Just found out that the car actually sounds better in regular mode vs. Sports mode especially when you rev it out past 4K, maybe due to the fact that the turbos don't engage as quick in Comfort therefore not muffling the sound?
That's probably more a function of the valves being closed in comfort mode. Eventually they open even in comfort if you rev it up, like you said, past 4k. I have a VSC controller and it sounds the same in either mode when the valves are open. The difference is you'll hear the turbos spool earlier and harder in Sport and Sport+
I have the valves unplugged so they're always open, must be the turbo spool.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50
      09-07-2020, 03:17 AM   #3220
Danlnyc88
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp, 2017 Macan Turbo

Yup gotta open them up with BM3 or a valve controller. In my case I have both.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #3221
ferrarifast
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 Comp xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Didnt realize for the entire first month of ownership, that the iDrive screen on my '18 was actually a touch screen. Big DOH moment when i found out (also realized you can "write" on the iDrive wheel as well). Should probably RTFM.

That brings me to the next problem - the screen gets real dirty quick if i use it as a touchscreen and im always weary of wiping it with a microfiber that may be contaminated. Took my chances and purchased this glass screen protector (linked below) despite the iffy reviews. It fits perfectly, almost a 10/10 and cant even tell its installed. Does not affect the touch sensitivity either. Now i can wipe the screen down without a worry and just replace the screen protector whenever.

https://amzn.to/33Icrp4

Curious to hear your logic here. Why put a screen protector on? It's not like you can "drop" it. Maybe I'm missing the picture here.
Life is too short to list the non Ms
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:06 AM   #3222
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarifast View Post
Quote:
Didnt realize for the entire first month of ownership, that the iDrive screen on my '18 was actually a touch screen. Big DOH moment when i found out (also realized you can "write" on the iDrive wheel as well). Should probably RTFM.

That brings me to the next problem - the screen gets real dirty quick if i use it as a touchscreen and im always weary of wiping it with a microfiber that may be contaminated. Took my chances and purchased this glass screen protector (linked below) despite the iffy reviews. It fits perfectly, almost a 10/10 and cant even tell its installed. Does not affect the touch sensitivity either. Now i can wipe the screen down without a worry and just replace the screen protector whenever.

Curious to hear your logic here. Why put a screen protector on? It's not like you can "drop" it. Maybe I'm missing the picture here.
Sure. Mainly for when I detail the interior of the car, which is quite frequent having free time these days. Even though I use a microfiber, crap can get caught in it and scratch the screen. This worry is alleviated with the screen protector.

Plus it's also a touchscreen, so sometimes I wipe it down with a glasses cloth or something while on the road if smudges are starting to accumulate. I wouldn't just mindlessly wipe it down if it didn't have a screen protector on it. A scratched screen would drive me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #3223
Damian Radek
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. Mainly for when I detail the interior of the car, which is quite frequent having free time these days. Even though I use a microfiber, crap can get caught in it and scratch the screen. This worry I'd alleviated with the screen protector.

Plus it's also a touchscreen, so sometimes I wipe it down with a glasses cloth or something while on the road if smudges are starting to accumulate. I wouldn't just mindlessly wipe it down if it didn't have a screen protector on it.
I have an 18' m4 and it's not a touch screen...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #3224
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sure. Mainly for when I detail the interior of the car, which is quite frequent having free time these days. Even though I use a microfiber, crap can get caught in it and scratch the screen. This worry I'd alleviated with the screen protector.

Plus it's also a touchscreen, so sometimes I wipe it down with a glasses cloth or something while on the road if smudges are starting to accumulate. I wouldn't just mindlessly wipe it down if it didn't have a screen protector on it.
Not sure why. Mine is a base model but that included HK + backup cameras on the 18. Plus a sweet touch screen
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #3225
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
I have the valves unplugged so they're always open, must be the turbo spool.

Funny...i have them unplugged so they're always CLOSED.

Its like a hot girlfriend with a annoying laugh.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 07:05 PM   #3226
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
You're in Canada, different market, different standard equipment and options (sometimes).

My wife's '18 M3, June '18 build date, has a touch screen.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #3227
BKBMWM3C
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 Comp

OE Brake Pad disintegration

I learned if you use Ferrodo DS1.11 for the track and try to go back to OE pads, they will look like this when you go to swap them again for your next track day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #3228
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKBMWM3C View Post
I learned if you use Ferrodo DS1.11 for the track and try to go back to OE pads, they will look like this when you go to swap them again for your next track day.
I don't have that problem with my Pagid RSL9s. Been running them for 26 track days in the last 4 years.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:42 PM   #3229
Pseudolus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I can’t believe I read 147 pages but there were some great nuggets so thank you! The most recent three things I’ve learned are:

1. Always make sure the EZ pass is secured before slamming the gas or you’ll struggle to find it again.

2. The optimal comfort cruising speed of this car is 98 mph.

3. The cupholder holds a bottle of wine perfectly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #3230
Morgen Black
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Unicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
You're in Canada, different market, different standard equipment and options (sometimes).

My wife's '18 M3, June '18 build date, has a touch screen.
I have a '18 M3 with a 9/2017 build date and it has a touch screen.

MB
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #3231
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post
I can’t believe I read 147 pages but there were some great nuggets so thank you! The most recent three things I’ve learned are:

1. Always make sure the EZ pass is secured before slamming the gas or you’ll struggle to find it again.

This is the view you will have after you've had too much of that wine.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:34 AM   #3232
Drj161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudolus View Post

flex with the caymus
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #3233
Pseudolus
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
flex with the caymus
LOL. Flex with the M3!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #3234
six75LT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

how are you guys programming the sports display on the radio buttons? it just tells me "unable to save"
Appreciate 0