Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-04-2023, 11:46 AM   #1
ViralCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

KW V3 or KW DDC.

Hi !
I have a BMW F82 with adaptive suspension
DDC, but I need to buy a KW thread. Which one to choose?
KW V3 or KW DDC?
Are there users here who can help with the choice? What will be better? The price difference is considerable.
I don't drive the car on the track, only weekend rides around the city.
Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2023, 04:27 AM   #2
Hide-F80M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Adjust dumper setting by yourself? or automatic 3 patterns

Hello I used to have KW V3 suspension kit with F80-M3
I suppose there is not big difference between two in terms of spring rate and dumper performance.
If you'd enjoy dumper setting by yourself, you 'd choose V3.
If you don't, DDC might be your choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:30 AM   #3
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Everyone's driving style and road conditions are different, so this is really a choice where you need to reflect on your specific situations.

You need to think about how many times on every single drive where you are actively toggling between different suspension modes.

If you find yourself manually toggling between the comfort, sport, and sport+ settings on every different road surface you encounter, and you think that the changes are noticeably worth the ride quality change, then DDC might be the best for you.

If you find yourself mostly staying in one suspension mode most of the time (doesn't actually matter what that setting is), then I would say DDC is a total waste of money and you could get by with a "one and done" setting. EDC/DDC is a luxury, not a requirement.

The best way to find out is to ONLY drive the car in one suspension mode that suits the types of roads you mainly drive on and drive it that way 100% of the time for two weeks and ask yourself if you truly miss the other two suspension modes.

The V3 and DDC are basically the same coilovers, except for how the compression/rebound is adjusted and the amount of adjustability . I say "basically" because the shock bodies are different between the two, but both V3 and DDC are valved and sprung for the f80/f82 cars. If you drove both versions at the same settings, you wouldn't know which one you are driving.

The V3 has more adjustability overall with 12 clicks of compression and 16 clicks of rebound adjustment. This allows you to fine tune your suspension to your ideal settings for whatever driving you need to do.

The DDC gives you three predetermined stiffness levels set by KW that they think matches the same difference between BMW's factory Comfort, Sport, and Sport+ settings. The problem is what if you don't particularly like their preset settings? You have to deal with it.

I have KW V3 and for the street/mountain roads they are great and even for some fun novice/intermediate HPDE stuff when paired with normal street tires. They aren't great options for "hardcore, badass track rat" guys, as the V3/DDC are softer and more compliant than 'track car' coilovers.

I have my V3 coilovers set at the factory KW settings and they do great on my local roads, my wife doesn't complain about stiffness, and yet they still do great on fast backroad and mountain driving. Stiff suspension isn't always better. If I know that I am going on a fast mountain drive or track day, it is easy to spend the 5-8 minutes to adjust the coilovers to a stiffer setting.
Appreciate 4
regpaq73.50
spidy512491.50
cotmfk2045.00
      02-21-2023, 01:44 AM   #4
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViralCar View Post
Hi !
I have a BMW F82 with adaptive suspension
DDC, but I need to buy a KW thread. Which one to choose?
KW V3 or KW DDC?
Are there users here who can help with the choice? What will be better? The price difference is considerable.
I don't drive the car on the track, only weekend rides around the city.
Thanks in advance.
I suggest you should take the KW DDC. The V3 is lame compared to a KW DDC or a KW Clubsport ...

https://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/da...ur-modern-car/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 08:19 AM   #5
ViralCar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks for feedback
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 12:05 PM   #6
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

Quote:
Thanks for feedback
Please let us know what you decide, and ultimately your feedback would be appreciated as well!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
Nickshawf80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 m3 competition

Garage List
2017 Bmw   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickologic View Post
I suggest you should take the KW DDC. The V3 is lame compared to a KW DDC or a KW Clubsport ...

https://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/da...ur-modern-car/
Hi there, seem some of your posts on other threads. I’m considering the kw ddc as I drove an f80 with the bilstien b16 and the ride was just awful. In your opinion how much would the ddc kit improve handling over stock and in what ways? Would appreciate as much information as possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 09:24 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks for feedback
Which one did you get?

Phone number 702-494-9435