R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #89
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
It depends on preferences. If you like it then it's fine, just the hardware itself (dampers) are a little different.
My issue is that my car was not driven for a while and when you fixed it I swapped my winter wheels/ tires on, so I didn't get to compare it right away. I just feel like it doesn't feel as planted in corners with bumps, esp at higher speeds. The GTS diff is a great upgrade though, no more dancing around in the back

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 08:58 PM   #90
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
My issue is that my car was not driven for a while and when you fixed it I swapped my winter wheels/ tires on, so I didn't get to compare it right away. I just feel like it doesn't feel as planted in corners with bumps, esp at higher speeds. The GTS diff is a great upgrade though, no more dancing around in the back
No worries. In case you need to change any setting - contact me. Will do.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3942.00
      09-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #91
Fat Goose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F83 ZCP 6MT | F/A-18E

Another happy @kubax86 customer. 2018 ZCP 6MT, transformed the car, most notably the GTS differential flash really plants the car and prevents wheel slip. Love the feel of the GTS sport plus steering and the rebound and dampened feel of the CS suspension. And of course with everything in comfort, the car is great for those who are looking for a smooth ride.
Appreciate 1
Kilabyte3942.00
      09-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #92
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
It depends on preferences. If you like it then it's fine, just the hardware itself (dampers) are a little different.
So is it bouncier with CS coding on stock dampers? I have non zcp but with EDC. Looking for some actual feedback on CS coding with this combo but most just say "not recommended" and don't go into detail (super stiff? Super soft? Etc)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 09:26 PM   #93
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
So is it bouncier with CS coding on stock dampers? I have non zcp but with EDC. Looking for some actual feedback on CS coding with this combo but most just say "not recommended" and don't go into detail (super stiff? Super soft? Etc)
I have EDC and the CS coding on non ZCP dampers doesn't feel planted. In Mexico I was pulling on another vehicle at a high rate of speed when a long sweeping turn came up and lets just say that it was the first time I let off the throttle because the car felt unsafe, I don't ever recall that feeling before the flash.

Don't do it, the shock valving and spring rate are not made for it.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 2
9M711232.50
hellokitty2883.50
      09-26-2021, 09:39 PM   #94
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you are able to, get the B16 DDC dampers on Black Friday. They are a great setup paired with CS EDC. Extremely planted and confidence inspiring on bumpy sweepers while retaining the EDC function for bumpy roads.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
9M711232.50
Kilabyte3942.00
      09-28-2021, 06:22 AM   #95
Jeremy Billiel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

I just purchased the upgrade online from Kubax86 and looking forward to the chnages!
      09-29-2021, 06:49 AM   #96
EricP3
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 X3M Comp

Quote:
I have EDC and the CS coding on non ZCP dampers doesn't feel planted. In Mexico I was pulling on another vehicle at a high rate of speed when a long sweeping turn came up and lets just say that it was the first time I let off the throttle because the car felt unsafe, I don't ever recall that feeling before the flash.

Don't do it, the shock valving and spring rate are not made for it.
I noticed mine feeling a bit floaty after flashing EDC. Does that sound similar to what you are experiencing? I am also non ZCP. I may have Kubax flash it back to stock and see if it's better.

It sounds like the CS EDC settings are good for ZCP cars but not for non-ZCP from what I am hearing.
      09-29-2021, 07:31 AM   #97
Soul Coughing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
Racer20 did the research on all of this and found that the CS uses the ZCP dampeners, the Base front springs and roll bar and keeps the ZCP rear bar and springs. So for the CS dampeners to work correctly on a Base car, you'd need ZCP dampeners, rear ZCP springs and sway bar. ZCP cars get most of the CS feeling because their dampeners can run the CS calibrations correctly, but you're still missing out on part of the package without the Base front bar and springs and the smaller 19 inch front wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Many types of rough roads actually require high damping to reduce the amount of wheel travel and prevent crash-through. Having higher damping can give road impacts a more muted thud sound rather than a louder bang sound, even though the people impact is technically firmer.

The driver may experience a bit more acceleration of jerk, but the ride may still be perceived as more plush because of the improved damping of wheel impacts.

CS edc cal has this characteristic. It has higher damping quality, meaning the damping is applied at the right time and in the right amount more often than the other tunes.

The reason you notice more roll is that the front to rear balance of the springs and bars is different between the CS and ZCP. The ZCP has a stiffer front bar. The CS EDC compensates for this by increasing roll damping at the front. But since the CS and ZCP have the same rear bar, the CS EDC doesn't provide the same increase to rear roll damping.

So now your roll stiffness and damping is a bit out of balance front to rear. Since humans really only perceive things relative to other things, you're probably noticing the rear rolling more than the front, even if the whole car is actually rolling less than before.

To me, the CS is a better damper calibration, but you'll sacrifice a bit of handling and roll balance and steering feel and response unless you have the full CS suspension package. Whether the overall improvement in damping quality is worth it or not is up to you.

The good news is that ZCP's already have most of the expensive/difficult parts needed to swap to a full CS suspension. A front bar and set of springs is all you'd need. It's much more expensive to update a base car to The CS spec.

Last edited by Soul Coughing; 09-29-2021 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #98
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP3 View Post
I noticed mine feeling a bit floaty after flashing EDC. Does that sound similar to what you are experiencing? I am also non ZCP. I may have Kubax flash it back to stock and see if it's better.

It sounds like the CS EDC settings are good for ZCP cars but not for non-ZCP from what I am hearing.
That's it exactly.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:56 AM   #99
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
I’ve cs coding with non zcp, it’s not even remotely bouncy, however I have made other changes. I utilized kw HAS and have zcp rear sway bar. Planted is an understatement at high speeds, cornering and high speed cornering. I have no experience with this on stock ride height.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #100
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohwblow View Post
Quote:
I’ve cs coding with non zcp, it’s not even remotely bouncy, however I have made other changes. I utilized kw HAS and have zcp rear sway bar. Planted is an understatement at high speeds, cornering and high speed cornering. I have no experience with this on stock ride height.
Thanks. Forgot to mention I'm on MPHAS, slightly lower than recommended settings. This is good to hear from your experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #101
Maryan425
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
Thanks. Forgot to mention I'm on MPHAS, slightly lower than recommended settings. This is good to hear from your experience.
I will be doing the GTS coding with Kubax tomorrow and I will be getting the CS EDC coding done on a non-zcp M3. The car has MP HAS also set slightly below the recommended height from BMW and no other suspension mods. I will report back in how this changes the characteristic of the car and whether I will be sticking to the CS or reverting to original.
Appreciate 1
9M711232.50
      09-29-2021, 12:36 PM   #102
9M71
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryan425 View Post
Quote:
I will be doing the GTS coding with Kubax tomorrow and I will be getting the CS EDC coding done on a non-zcp M3. The car has MP HAS also set slightly below the recommended height from BMW and no other suspension mods. I will report back in how this changes the characteristic of the car and whether I will be sticking to the CS or reverting to original.
Much appreciated sir! Looking forward to your thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 08:24 AM   #103
Jeremy Billiel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Another kubax86 happy customer!

My car had the GTS transmission, no steering modifications and M2 everything else. Updated everything to the correct coding, took the car out and it feels totally different! Steering is really nice, EDC is way better and MDM and Diff are also better. Just much more refined all the way around.

Thanks Kubax86!
      09-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #104
Maryan425
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Another +1 for kubax86 and Bimmer remote coding, process was super fast, easy with amazing communication!

I was able to get my GTS coding done today as well as a NBTEVO5-6 upgrade.

Let me preface this by saying the car was in for a fresh alignment (hit a few holes/bumps on the highway, thanks PA roads) this morning prior to the coding and I was able to drive it a good 30-40 minutes prior to the coding and after fresh alignment. This was done so I had a good before and after comparison with no other factors.

I have a non-zcp F80 with M-performance suspension (set slightly below recommended height) and no other suspension work. Its on 19x11/19x9.5 wheels with almost brand new MPS4S 265/35 and 305/30 tires just for reference. The coding options I got were GTS steering, GTS diff, Euro GTS MDM and CS EDC. I also already had the GTS DCT via BM3.

My initial impressions for each piece after a 30min spirited drive.

GTS steering: this is a massive upgrade in all categories, it is tighter, more responsive and there is less play in the steering wheel. It is still not anywhere near the non-electric power steering feel but it is much better. Car does not feel twitchy and is very direct with input.

GTS diff/Euro MDM: another pair of awesome upgrades, the diff no longer seems as confused about what is happening in terms of driver input and feels like it is more in tune with the transmission. The car is also no longer has as much wiggle to it when traction breaks and is better at maintaining a straight line. It also feels more predictable. Euro MDM feels is as expected and previously discussed with having an increased time before intervening.

CS EDC: This option I am still feeling out. Initially the car feels slightly softer in comfort but did not feel unstable. I will be fair in saying I was not taking any high speed turns to fully test it in comfort mode. In sport I did notice that the ride felt slightly stiffer especially in terms of rebound but it did not feel uncomfortable. Everything tightened up even further in sport+. The dampening change was most noticeable. This again was a tough one to put into words but I will test it for the coming week and see whether I decided to stick with it. 9M71 I would recommend giving it a shot and seeing how the car feels with it.

I will update this in the coming week after driving a bit more and feeling out the changes.
Appreciate 1
9M711232.50
      09-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #105
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
Another kubax86 happy customer!

My car had the GTS transmission, no steering modifications and M2 everything else. Updated everything to the correct coding, took the car out and it feels totally different! Steering is really nice, EDC is way better and MDM and Diff are also better. Just much more refined all the way around.

Thanks Kubax86!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryan425 View Post
Another +1 for kubax86 and Bimmer remote coding, process was super fast, easy with amazing communication!

I was able to get my GTS coding done today as well as a NBTEVO5-6 upgrade.

Let me preface this by saying the car was in for a fresh alignment (hit a few holes/bumps on the highway, thanks PA roads) this morning prior to the coding and I was able to drive it a good 30-40 minutes prior to the coding and after fresh alignment. This was done so I had a good before and after comparison with no other factors.

I have a non-zcp F80 with M-performance suspension (set slightly below recommended height) and no other suspension work. Its on 19x11/19x9.5 wheels with almost brand new MPS4S 265/35 and 305/30 tires just for reference. The coding options I got were GTS steering, GTS diff, Euro GTS MDM and CS EDC. I also already had the GTS DCT via BM3.

My initial impressions for each piece after a 30min spirited drive.

GTS steering: this is a massive upgrade in all categories, it is tighter, more responsive and there is less play in the steering wheel. It is still not anywhere near the non-electric power steering feel but it is much better. Car does not feel twitchy and is very direct with input.

GTS diff/Euro MDM: another pair of awesome upgrades, the diff no longer seems as confused about what is happening in terms of driver input and feels like it is more in tune with the transmission. The car is also no longer has as much wiggle to it when traction breaks and is better at maintaining a straight line. It also feels more predictable. Euro MDM feels is as expected and previously discussed with having an increased time before intervening.

CS EDC: This option I am still feeling out. Initially the car feels slightly softer in comfort but did not feel unstable. I will be fair in saying I was not taking any high speed turns to fully test it in comfort mode. In sport I did notice that the ride felt slightly stiffer especially in terms of rebound but it did not feel uncomfortable. Everything tightened up even further in sport+. The dampening change was most noticeable. This again was a tough one to put into words but I will test it for the coming week and see whether I decided to stick with it. 9M71 I would recommend giving it a shot and seeing how the car feels with it.

I will update this in the coming week after driving a bit more and feeling out the changes.
Thank you for your kind words and appreciate choosing BIMMER-REMOTE
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:57 PM   #106
F30328iN202013
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F48 X1

+1 Another happy customer - I can't recommend kubax86 enough! He fixed the mess that Thor left behind. Night and day difference in steering and differential engagement.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 08:45 AM   #107
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

I flashed my car with the Thor GTS MDM, differential and steering, while I feel no difference in the steering I did notice a difference in the MDM not kicking in as before, my question has anyone reflashed with kubix and noticed a difference with the GTS MDM?
      10-02-2021, 09:19 AM   #108
LYTSOUT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 F30 xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteredBe4st View Post
I flashed my car with the Thor GTS MDM, differential and steering, while I feel no difference in the steering I did notice a difference in the MDM not kicking in as before, my question has anyone reflashed with kubix and noticed a difference with the GTS MDM?
Yet another happy Kubax customer here. As with other Thor customers, my steering was unchanged, MDM was Euro, and LSD was from an F87.

Steering: MUCH better than OEM. As someone mentioned above, this was the first thing I noticed as soon as I pulled the car out of the garage after the flash. It now feels like a proper power assist setup: at low speeds (parking lots, etc) the wheel is FAR easier to turn, but at higher speeds, it does stiffen up a bit (but not too much like OEM was). I prefer my steering to be very light, so I drive exclusively in Comfort. I can't really comment on GTS Sport/Sport+ steering b/c I don't really care for anything heavier than Comfort so I never use those settings.

LSD: Much better than OEM, but similar to Thor/F87. The car definitely hooks up better in a straight line, and if it does break loose, you can stay on the power without it cutting out and killing your momentum. This was the one thing that didn't change/improve much with Kubax's flash (but that's okay b/c apparently the F87 that Thor installed was still much better than OEM).

AlteredBe4st , this is for you...
GTS MDM: Much less restrictive than American/OEM, but a bit more restrictive than Thor/Euro. American/OEM MDM is a complete joke. It doesn't allow much slip angle whatsoever (not much better than DSC fully on). By contrast, the Euro MDM that Thor installed, allowed way too much slip angle. Tbh, I'd have to lift before it ever kicked-in b/c I was afraid the rear end could continue to come around, and I feared it wouldn't ever save me before I got into trouble. It pretty much felt like DSC fully off. The new GTS MDM is perfect. It's right in the middle between boring American/OEM and insanely loose Euro. It allows the back end to come around, but it does catch you at a reasonable point of slip. It feels much more like Porsche's PSM (which is about as good as traction control can get).

Edit: I forgot to mention just how cool Kubax was/is to work with. I won't drag you through all the details, but summarize, I have a Mac and didn't have the appropriate Windows software installed to get Kubax's process going as smoothly as it usually does. Rather than telling me it simply wouldn't work on my computer, he actually spent lots of extra time working with me over two different 45 minute sessions (remotely tinkered with my settings, etc) to get it all done. So even more props to Kubax, not just a great product, but also for lots of patience and going the extra mile to get the flash done despite technical challenges.
-PCA Instructor #201804533
-B58 F30, 6MT, M Sport, M Perf Exhaust, Dinan Springs, BM3 Stg 1
-My B58 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1981176
-My F80 Build Thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757458
-My N55 F30 Build Thread https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1739248

Last edited by LYTSOUT; 10-02-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 09:49 AM   #109
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
Quote:
Yet another happy Kubax customer here. As with other Thor customers, my steering was unchanged, MDM was Euro, and LSD was from an F87.

Steering: MUCH better than OEM. As someone mentioned above, this was the first thing I noticed as soon as I pulled the car out of the garage after the flash. It now feels like a proper power assist setup: at low speeds (parking lots, etc) the wheel is FAR easier to turn, but at higher speeds, it does stiffen up a bit (but not too much like OEM was). I prefer my steering to be very light, so I drive exclusively in Comfort. I can't really comment on GTS Sport/Sport+ steering b/c I don't really care for anything heavier than Comfort so I never use those settings.

LSD: Much better than OEM, but similar to Thor/F87. The car definitely hooks up better in a straight line, and if it does break loose, you can stay on the power without it cutting out and killing your momentum. This was the one thing that didn't change/improve much with Kubax's flash (but that's okay b/c apparently the F87 that Thor installed was still much better than OEM).

GTS MDM: Much less restrictive than American/OEM, but a bit more restrictive than Thor/Euro. American/OEM MDM is a complete joke. It doesn't allow much slip angle whatsoever (not much better than DSC fully on). By contrast, the Euro MDM that Thor installed, allowed way too much slip angle. Tbh, I'd have to lift before it ever kicked-in b/c I was afraid the rear end could continue to come around, and I feared it wouldn't ever save me before I got into trouble. It pretty much felt like DSC fully off. The new GTS MDM is perfect. It's right in the middle between boring American/OEM and insanely loose Euro. It allows the back end to come around, but it does catch you at a reasonable point of slip. It feels much more like Porsche's PSM (which is about as good as traction control can get).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
Quote:

Thank you for the response, exactly to the point
      10-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #110
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

Just used Kubax86 services today.
I have not used any type of previous flash and I just had the GTS flash along with some miscellaneous coding done today which was based off of this thread. I wanted nothing on the motor touched. Been there, done that past platform…

For the GTS coding, my first thoughts:
What a huge difference.

The best part for me is the CS damper coding. It’s way more compliant. Those damn lane reflectors no longer fell like I’m hitting a small animal on the road. Sport feels better than the old comfort mode and comfort mode is actually, comfortable…
Sport plus is still nice and stiff

The DCT: beyond better. It doesn’t lag or “think” with light throttle input

Diff: Lays down power without much wheel spin. Much better

Steering: Improved. If anything I felt it made the steering much softer and not the other way around.
But also, in a good way. It steered like a ride on mower before. Too heavy

MDM: Haven’t played with it enough yet.

As for the coding goes, I have a late model and a lot of it doesn’t work on the later cars.I was so disappointed to not have seat/easy access. However, I didn’t like having no active sound and he coded that back in as well as removing the rear view camera at all speeds.(it wouldn’t turn off after reversing then putting in D)

Very very happy overall and the car is no longer twitchy and strung out.
Thanks Bimmer-remote!
Appreciate 0