Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

08-22-2016, 10:11 PM   #23
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Intentions View Post
this is great, im very impressed by these gains, wonder if this tune will be something that i can use and also retain my JB4 for meth control .
Yes completely, and all the great canBUS features too*
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #24
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

This looks great. Any idea on what a 91 octane OTS map would make in terms of whp and torque? Also any estimate on when this will be out of beta and available to the public? Finally, what will cracking the ECU entail? Will it need to be shipped to your facility in Ontario Canada or will there be U.S. dealers who can handle the ECU jailbreaking and install? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 11:06 PM   #25
1FastS4
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3 & 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Are you blind? What's there to be not sure about exactly? Its black and white and the guy above even said 24psi on stage 1 from VF Hex while this is 20-22.5psi.

The other guy that keeps talking crap its not peak gains they posted. They posted max power stock vs. max power on their Stage 1 like everyone does.

PTF, can you see what MAX gains were in your graph as I'm sure along the curve the gains are EVEN higher.
VF pointed out to me that the PTF graph is STD Correction which on a warm day will usually be noticeably higher than Uncorrected. If you want apples to apples either VF should post their Stage 1 in STD, or PTF should post theirs Uncorrected.

What MThree_driver posted is that Peak Numbers may be higher from PTF but the VF HEX Stage 1 has more area under the curve. I'm pretty sure he's not blind since I see the exact same thing when you open the two graphs side by side. So it's not less boost making more power because it looks like VF is still making more power overall.

My Stage 1 HEX Tune is the first one in this link - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=3

Maybe VF-Engineering can repost it with STD Correction??
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
      08-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #26
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastS4 View Post
VF pointed out to me that the PTF graph is STD Correction which on a warm day will usually be noticeably higher than Uncorrected. If you want apples to apples either VF should post their Stage 1 in STD, or PTF should post theirs Uncorrected.

What MThree_driver posted is that Peak Numbers may be higher from PTF but the VF HEX Stage 1 has more area under the curve. I'm pretty sure he's not blind since I see the exact same thing when you open the two graphs side by side. So it's not less boost making more power because it looks like VF is still making more power overall.

My Stage 1 HEX Tune is the first one in this link - http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=3

Maybe VF-Engineering can repost it with STD Correction??
You know right away PTF is doing something right when the other vendor is talking shit about them LMAO and yes you are both blind as PTF's dyno makes 30WHP more than Stage 1 from VF with 2-4psi less!!! You know what would've happened if they added that 2-4psi to this tune? Another 30-40WHP! Your comments are making VF look worse and worse honestly. This is PTF's thread. Show some respect dude where its due.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #27
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Its laughable these undercover vendor accounts who sell VF sticking up for them in here repeating what VF tells them to in PM. Just sayin...
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
      08-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #28
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Its laughable these undercover vendor accounts who sell VF sticking up for them in here repeating what VF tells them to in PM. Just sayin...
+100 absolutely ridiculous
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2016, 07:29 AM   #29
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
🤔
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      08-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #30
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Really appreciate the kind words guys!

Our focus is on our own work. Discussions regarding other tunes just won't be entertained as its energy poorly spent and being on these boards for many years we know they go nowhere. If any questions at all about what we've done with the tune here, bootmod3 in general or anything we're working on please let us know and we'd be really happy to discuss.

bootmod3 s a full custom tuning platform and this is just an example of 1 canned map we built on the dyno after solving the boost targetting and especially the throttle closure issues we found the non-ZCP cars plagued with.

As an end user you'll have bootmod3's canned OTS maps that will require no additional work to enjoy. Custom tuning, monitoring, map switching and resale value along with other features planned are what bootmod3 is about, not peak or max gains from a sample of one car on one dyno with a particular pump gas and ambients out there whose numbers can be debated six ways from Sunday

Pump gas, race gas, E85, methanol, stack with a piggyback like the JB4, datalog, go bigger turbo and custom tune, you name it, that's what we're trying to accomplish. If it were for just a flasher or a canned tune we would've never gotten involved. We could've had our own canned flash and called it a day a long time ago but that isn't where our goals are.

As for next steps, catless downpipes are going on the S55 and we'll be moving forward with some more tweaks to the Stage 2 on the 6MT car and testing changes on a local DCT S55 that has downpipes and K&N drop-in air filters:

all the best!

Last edited by proTUNING Freaks; 08-23-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Appreciate 4
dmk087316.00
FSociety3810.00
farbmw421.50
      08-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #31
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

This beta user is having a ton of fun out there

Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #32
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

The results look great but in HEX's defense the baseline seems pretty low. I've seen many stock dynos around 430hp. It also seems tuned for pump gas they all make around 480hp, and 530hp on E85. So while the tuning here seems fine the main thing is the platform where you can tune and log the car yourself like a JB4 only with flashing instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #33
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

Man you PTF guys are too damn nice in here!! You should turn up that boost another 2-4psi to match what VF is running on their Stage 1 boost wise and drop the hammer on these mothabitches up in here LOL! Let's line 'em up boys! Haha

Do y'all not understand that if they ran same boost as VF it'd then be even more embarassing for them? F* me. Is that for some reason a hard thing to understand? Its already 30WHP higher gains than VF and 40-50 than other copy paste flash tuners AND they got another 2-4psi to work with. You do the math!
Appreciate 2
dmk087316.00
      08-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #34
1FastS4
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S3 & 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
Man you PTF guys are too damn nice in here!! You should turn up that boost another 2-4psi to match what VF is running on their Stage 1 boost wise and drop the hammer on these mothabitches up in here LOL! Let's line 'em up boys! Haha

Do y'all not understand that if they ran same boost as VF it'd then be even more embarassing for them? F* me. Is that for some reason a hard thing to understand? Its already 30WHP higher gains than VF and 40-50 than other copy paste flash tuners AND they got another 2-4psi to work with. You do the math!
24psi (HEX) - 22.5psi (PTF) = 1.5psi (not 2 - 4 psi)
89whp (PTF) - 72whp (HEX) = 17whp (not 30whp)
107wtq (PTF) - 113wtq (HEX) = -6wtq (advantage HEX)

Uncorrected vs. STD Correction makes for fuzzy math no matter how you shake it. Max Gains across the rev range vs. Peak Gains also seem tell a completely different story about who's making more power.

I wasn't trying to debate the two products since I see a lot of cool factor in the ability to custom tune for hardware configurations that a pre-written tune doesn't accommodate. I also wasn't the first one to bring up VF or HEX in this conversation, I was just the first to point out that it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Back on topic. (mic drop)
Appreciate 2
FSociety3810.00
      08-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #35
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08
Not a vendor, not associated with VF. Simply stating what I see. If you don't like it then apologies, I'm not here to think illogically.

I'm sure pro tuning's tune is great, commendable that they're able to create custom tunes and that they're giving others the ability to do so as well..so don't think I'm hating on them.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      08-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #36
chewbakam4
Major
Rep

No that's bullshit and you're using correction numbers to prove a point in a way that makes no sense. If PTF dynoed in colder conditions then their numbers uncorrected would've been even higher Mr dyno corrections expert! Your argument on power and corrections makes no sense. In fact I just looked at the boost values for PTF and at manifold they are barely going above 20psi dude. Look at their log they posted. When VF posts ANY logs of anything they make lets talk then. Anyways I'm done here, proof is in the pudding and shit will get only worse for canned tunes from here on. If they just add the 1.5psi you talk about (which really is 2-4psi) they'd pick up another 20 to 40 WHP and torque then what will you say? Laughable!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #37
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:

Uncorrected vs. STD Correction makes for fuzzy math no matter how you shake it. Max Gains across the rev range vs. Peak Gains also seem tell a completely different story about who's making more power.

I wasn't trying to debate the two products since I see a lot of cool factor in the ability to custom tune for hardware configurations that a pre-written tune doesn't accommodate. I also wasn't the first one to bring up VF or HEX in this conversation, I was just the first to point out that it's not an apples to apples comparison.

In my personal dyno testing the numbers barely change STD vs Uncorrected. My area is very hot & humid and Atlanta is about 1000ft above sea level. So not ideal conditions. These are the same results Ive seen in other tests after people posted the uncorrected and STD. So while it would be nice to have uncorrected I wouldnt expect a huge variance.

Hell the numbers could be higher uncorrected....

MThree_driver I was not referring to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #38
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

Quote:
In my personal dyno testing the numbers barely change STD vs Uncorrected. My area is very hot & humid and Atlanta is about 1000ft above sea level. So not ideal conditions. These are the same results Ive seen in other tests after people posted the uncorrected and STD. So while it would be nice to have uncorrected I wouldnt expect a huge variance.

Hell the numbers could be higher uncorrected....

MThree_driver I was not referring to you.
X 2** ...Very true and my experience as well^^
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #39
V3rbatim
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

Ptf should just post an uncorrected dyno sheet to end this debate between these girls arguing so chewbaka can once again practice his mathematics.

Disclaimer: im not affiliated with either tunes yet... Still gathering info/reviews.
      08-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #40
V3rbatim
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3

On another note, what really counts is the before and after dyno results. That way you see how much power it actually gained! Anyways, back to work.
      08-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #41
proTUNING Freaks
Rep

Quote:

We need to make a correction to our OP it looks like We actually barely were hitting 21psi pre-throttle and around 20psi in the manifold. Thanks chewy for pointing that out but honestly we wouldn't sweat the details.

Our OTS maps are always evolving and will see updates even after release. If you've used MHD or Cobb you'd know OTS maps can go through updates and everyone enjoys the updates free of charge which we'll do as well. Updates will be delivered automatically via the Mobile App to everyone so no need to visit a dealer or pull DME again.

Any time we have an update and find a little more power somewhere whether through boost, timing, fuel, valvetronic etc we'll update the OTS maps and provide the updates free of charge to end users. At that point they're simply a map switch away
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      08-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #42
EBM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Guys the bottom line is what is the perception of the public that has not bought a flash tune yet, further are these consumers compelled to by Hex or wait for PTF at this point.

I will tell you for me I looked at Hex seriously and frankly have been waiting for PTF and it's customizable features since I have upgraded turbos and it just seems silly to me to pay someone for a tune that I cannot change or modify if my bolt ons change. I think it's safe to say that PTF or its eventual affiliates will be able to easily duplicate what Hex has now with many more added benefits, it's simply the evolution of the platform. That's not a knock on Hex from what I understand a consumers favorite tuner will be able to customize a map utilizing Bootmod3 as the delivery method.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #43
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #44
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

I think you guys are comparing two different things.

The HEX tune is a canned, off-the-shelf tune with zero datalogging or other ancillary features.

BM3 is a full-suite tuning/datalogging solution for the F-Series chassis that features OTS tunes as base tunes or can be tuned by yourself (if you know what you're doing) or the tuner of your choice.

No comparison should be made between these two setups, unless you're just evaluating each OTS tune on a particular car, on a particular day, on a particular dyno. Which frankly, is useless.

For argument's sake, anything HEX is doing, tuning-wise, can be reproduced in BM3.

Last edited by CaryTheLabelGuy; 08-23-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 7
dmk087316.00
sA x sKy739.00
FSociety3810.00
mcvaughan703.00
ASAP10125.00
farbmw421.50