ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

10-03-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
cheeber
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 550i, 15 m4

Ran across sib 84 02 21 which indicates that bmw is upgrading telematics 3g to 4g on certain vehicles. Went to dealer who told me my 15 f83 is not eligible. Does anyone know what vehicles this applies to? Would be particularly beneficial for those looking to upgrade from nbt to evo.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 12:24 PM   #2
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeber View Post
Ran across sib 84 02 21 which indicates that bmw is upgrading telematics 3g to 4g on certain vehicles. Went to dealer who told me my 15 f83 is not eligible. Does anyone know what vehicles this applies to? Would be particularly beneficial for those looking to upgrade from nbt to evo.
As far as M3/M4, the replacement units only apply to 2016 vehicles which already have the very limited function NBT EVO HU HW 2.x installed.

I've done the complete retrofits in a few pre-2016 BMWs with full working Connected Drive essentially just to prove it can be done. Worked with several of the forum's better known coders/sponsors to code remotely. It's not cheap. Then again, if you compare what BMW charges for a new HU and TCU Communication Unit plus labor (though they will not retrofit) then it's really not bad at all.

I only attempt to do it with the HW 4.x NBT EVO. Too many limitations on HW 2.x and HW 3.x NBT EVO units to pay that much and not have all the functions saving several hundred dollars. It's like running your M on 87 Octane and the cheapest $100 tires you can find.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
As far as M3/M4, the replacement units only apply to 2016 vehicles which already have the very limited function NBT EVO HU HW 2.x installed.

I've done the complete retrofits in a few pre-2016 BMWs with full working Connected Drive essentially just to prove it can be done. Worked with several of the forum's better known coders/sponsors to code remotely. It's not cheap. Then again, if you compare what BMW charges for a new HU and TCU Communication Unit plus labor (though they will not retrofit) then it's really not bad at all.

I only attempt to do it with the HW 4.x NBT EVO. Too many limitations on HW 2.x and HW 3.x NBT EVO units to pay that much and not have all the functions saving several hundred dollars. It's like running your M on 87 Octane and the cheapest $100 tires you can find.
There are no limitation on HW3.x compared to HW4.x. This is 100% incorrect.
HW2.x (from F series) have 2GB RAM. HW3/4 have 4GM RAM.
this is the only difference from user perspective.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 10:39 PM   #4
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:

As stated and proven by FCC info, there is a difference in the HARDWARE of the HW 3.x and HW 4.x units. Stating there is no difference is the equivalent of saying there us no difference from a users prospective between an iPhone 8 and an iPhone 14 both running iOS 16.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 11:01 PM   #5
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
Quote:

As stated and proven by FCC info, there is a difference in the HARDWARE of the HW 3.x and HW 4.x units. Stating there is no difference is the equivalent of saying there us no difference from a users prospective between an iPhone 8 and an iPhone 14 both running iOS 16.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2022, 03:39 AM   #6
kubax86
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
No_Country
Rep

Drives: M2

Quote:
yes, RH850 vs V850. In terms of usage there is no difference
Appreciate 0