European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

03-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #1
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 30 Jahre M3

First Track Day

Hi All,

So many of you have been very helpful with advise for my first track day.
I'm registered for my first one in two weeks (Sat, the 19th at NJMP with NASANE). I'm looking forward to meeting some of you there!

Based on a previous thread of mine and your valuable input, this is where I am thus far with respect to prep:

I've flushed with SRF. I think I did a pretty solid flush. I emptied about 3/4 of the Motive Bottle per side. It took 2 and change SRF bottles.

To DO:
I have a set of PFC11 pads that I will be installing next week.
I also have a set of 513's with the OEM MPSS that I will use - I think they're at around 5/32.
I will change the oil and make sure it's at the max.
OnTrack Insurance - Make sure it's a "Total Agreed Value" plan.
Disable Collision Avoidance the day of.
That's all I plan to do for the first time.

Questions:
(1) I don't have a helmet. Where can/should I get one? Can I just rent one the first time?
(2) Should I put BM3 back to stock mode?
(3) Should I remove my spacers?
(4) Should I bring a spare tire just in case (to get me home) or would I need a tire mounted to another wheel? I have Blizzaks that I could mount in a pinch to get home. I also have my stock 763s with PSC2's (that I'm not planning on using at the track, but could bring 1 in case I get a flat?)
(5) Do I need to remove my sunshades? (I have removably mounted ones on the rear windshield and rear windows - nothing on the front)
(6) Do you guys recommend I mount a tow hook to the bumper at the outset, or just have it in the car in case it ends up being needed? I only ask because my license plate is tow hook mounted, so I would need to remove that if I will mount the tow hook in advance
(7) Important - What are the most necessary items to bring with me, considering that I probably wouldn't be able to really fix anything that goes wrong while there. I plan on bringing a compressor (which comes with our car anyhow) and a tire pressure gauge.

Lastly, this has been long overdue and I've always wanted to go to the track. I'm pretty sure I'm only going to want to go more and more after this.
I would say I'm likely limited to NJMP for the time being. I need to be able to go and get home in the same day. I'm generally also limited to one day per time. A main focus of mine is to have experienced instructors who will really help me improve. What other groups other than NASA NE do you guys recommend, who go to NJMP and have good instructors? Thanks!

Last edited by RElias21; 03-05-2022 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 4
NYG10726.50
jmg18703.50
V8Huntr45.00
      03-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #2
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

1) Depends on the track. Most offer rentals. Amazon should be able to get one to you quick.
2) Unless you have crank upgraded. May be best to do stock. Wouldnt run stage 2 or corn tho. Asking for trouble.
3) As long as they are hub centric and installed correct you should be fine.
4) I always bring one of my Street tires as a safety net. Id recommend.
5) Ive never heard of this being a thing. Most likely not.
6) You want your front and back tow hook on the car before you even touch the track. Critical. Saves you and EVERYONE else time and safety in the event of an issue.
7) Water/snacks, can be long days. Nice foldable chair. Tire pressure gauge, air down tires for event. Preload your phone with race chrono or harrys for lap times. Aside from that if its your first day. Just go and have fun. Try not to overthink too much. Lots to take in and learn. Sure you can take an entire toolset and jack and stuff but most likely overkill. However for your first day just get in there and go.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 2
RElias21562.50
NYG10726.50
      03-05-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Congrats! You will love it. If you are in HPDE 1 you will be assigned an instructor, the NASA guys are pretty cool generally. I will probably be there (assuming weather is good) both days, I think NYG and Dsheerdrivingpleasure will also be there. It's an easy track to learn and safe with lots of run off.

I think they have rental helmets in the shop at Thunderbolt, or they did about 4 years ago. You could also drive over to Stable Energies in Garfield NJ, good shop they have a decent selection. I got my Arai-GP5W and HANS device there.

Put your tow hooks in, just in case. The pace in DE1 is very controlled so the chance of anything happening requiring a tow is basically zero barring a mechanical failure.

Having a tune isn't really necessary, but if your used to the throttle response I would just leave it.

All you need to do is unpack your car, remove your floor mats, EZ pass etc. Go to registration get your wrist band, they can also give you numbers to stick on the car. Then drive your car to the tech line and they will check it over. After that you will have main drivers briefing and a specific HPDE1 class where they cover the flags etc. before you go out. When you come back after each you can check your tire pressures and bleed some air out but otherwise you are all set.

Just keep your eyes up, stay relaxed, listen to your instructor and you will have a blast
Appreciate 4
      03-05-2022, 04:46 PM   #4
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Another thing forgot to add, I would watch some videos of the track so you get a directional idea for which line to take which gives you a head start. Here is a lap of mine, I am driving a fairly standard line though 2-4. They place cones at the apex -

Appreciate 2
RElias21562.50
NYG10726.50
      03-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Another thing forgot to add, I would watch some videos of the track so you get a directional idea for which line to take which gives you a head start. Here is a lap of mine, I am driving a fairly standard line though 2-4. They place cones at the apex -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iALdLuA5eg" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="https://www.youtube....iALdLuA5eg</a>

Did you get banned from Rennlist.

OP, you're in good hands with these guys...everyone is friendly and helpful. The paddock experience is half the fun. I really hope I can join you guys.
Appreciate 2
Montaver2180.50
NYG10726.50
      03-05-2022, 11:08 PM   #6
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Questions:
(1) I don't have a helmet. Where can/should I get one? Can I just rent one the first time?
(2) Should I put BM3 back to stock mode?
(3) Should I remove my spacers?
(4) Should I bring a spare tire just in case (to get me home) or would I need a tire mounted to another wheel? I have Blizzaks that I could mount in a pinch to get home. I also have my stock 763s with PSC2's (that I'm not planning on using at the track, but could bring 1 in case I get a flat?)
(5) Do I need to remove my sunshades? (I have removably mounted ones on the rear windshield and rear windows - nothing on the front)
(6) Do you guys recommend I mount a tow hook to the bumper at the outset, or just have it in the car in case it ends up being needed? I only ask because my license plate is tow hook mounted, so I would need to remove that if I will mount the tow hook in advance
(7) Important - What are the most necessary items to bring with me, considering that I probably wouldn't be able to really fix anything that goes wrong while there. I plan on bringing a compressor (which comes with our car anyhow) and a tire pressure gauge.
Hey Ragi, as far as your questions;

1) You can rent one but you'll definitely want to get your own helmet after the first event. I'm sure you aren't going to stop after your first.
2) I say yes.
3) Nope, wider track is better. As long as they're hubcentric like irokdayellup says.
4) If you're worried about getting a flat, I bring a tire repair kit with me. Otherwise if you feel better bringing some spares, the F8x has plenty of room for it
5) Nope, shades are ok
6) Most people take their plates off at the track. It's good practice to have your tow hook on
7) Torque wrench, a waterproof bag or cover incase there's some showers because your stuff will be out of your car on the paddock, a quart of oil incase your turbos are extra hungry (if you top off before the track, you shouldn't need it but I always bring a quart), tire pressure gauge, compressor, WATER/snack, foldable chair to relax. If you forget something I'll have most of this stuff with me - so will Montaver

The only thing extra that I'll warn you about is track day time anxiety. There's a lot of things that are going to happen that you want to get done as soon as possible so you can relax a moment before going out on track.

When you arrive and sign in at the gate, to your left will be thunderbolt and to your right will be lightning. You'll want to go right towards lightning because the store at thunderbolt probably won't be open the moment you arrive. When you arrive at the lightning paddock, walk over to the right side of the garage in the meeting room and sign in. You'll get your wristband, tech forms and group sticker. If you need numbers you can purchase them right there. Walk back to your car and empty it out completely - center console, glove box, carpets, etc... Car needs to be completely empty. You'll drive up to the tech line, car will get inspected and then you'll head back over to where you parked. At that point (possible before you tech your car) there is going to be a drivers meeting and if you're in group 1, you'll have an extra meeting after every session to talk about some useful things. Once all of that stuff is complete, you'll check your tire pressures and setup all of your track telemetry stuff (whatever it may be/if you choose to use any) and relax for a few moments before you have to line up. They'll release the schedule a week or so before so you'll know what time you go out there. You'll line up about 10 minutes before your session starts. Usually Group 4 and 3 will go out first so you'll have a few extra moments to wind down. Right after the drivers meeting you'll want to head over to thunderbolt to grab your helmet. NASA may have helmet rentals right on the spot too though.

It's a lot of stuff that will feel like it is happening really fast but you'll get into the rhythm of it really quickly and one of us will help you out through the process. Without being prepared for any of the above, you'll wear out mentally really quickly.
Appreciate 3
      03-06-2022, 06:41 AM   #7
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks, everyone! This is really valuable info.

Anyone have a link for accepted removable/reusable window stickers? I'd like to avoid sticking the number on the paint.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2022, 07:19 AM   #8
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RElias21 View Post
Thanks, everyone! This is really valuable info.

Anyone have a link for accepted removable/reusable window stickers? I'd like to avoid sticking the number on the paint.

I would use the stickers provided or buy 1 inch wide painters tape to form your numbers. Neither adhesive will damage your paint. Amazon sells all different tape colors. Plus, you can apply the tape to protect your front end/headlights from debris if you are concerned about keeping your paint nice -- but unless your drafting other cars you don't need to be worried.

I'm ashamed thinking back about the silly amounts of track wrap that I applied before my first few events. Think car condom. Then a lose wheel weight popped my cherry and I gave up with the paint protection stuff.

Once you establish a dedicated number with an organization you can order a fancy removable sticker from trackdecals.com.
Appreciate 1
NYG10726.50
      03-06-2022, 07:58 AM   #9
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

I can understand the desire to keep the paint protected, I've got full PPF so that takes care of it for me. This stuff actually works quite well for preventing minor rash and other such things (obviously isn't gonna protect from a thrown wheel weight or anything like that), but like anything else requires some investment of time: https://www.roadwarriorplus.com/

As far as helmet, just buy a cheaper one. I've sunk $$$ into this car, but for whatever reason haven't splurged for a big-ticket helmet (probably cause I don't know any better), but honestly the one I got from Amazon seems fine. There's no way you won't be doing this again. It's a pain to have to figure out the rental thing.
This is the one I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Followed the measuring instructions on the product cage and seems to fit fine. But skulls may vary. It's SA2020 so you're good to go
Appreciate 2
NYG10726.50
      03-06-2022, 10:25 AM   #10
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I used trakwrap a lot until I got ppf.

Initially I thought trakwrap was way cheaper so no point of going ppf. After a few events and HOURS spent applying it, PPF actually ends up being cheaper.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2022, 11:29 AM   #11
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

On track days particularly where there is racing on slicks there's normally loads of rubber chunks everywhere that inevitably hit you. I've had one thing go through my PPF and chip the paint, I think a screw fell off someone's splitter or something. Made a big clang when it hit the roof. Windshields also take a beating and inevitably pickup chips. No way around it unless you are able to never follow other cars (unlikely), particularly cars on slicks as they throw up everything. I would do a PPF or wrap when you can. When I replace my windshield I'll do a protector on it.

Number stickers won't damage the paint, if your worried put them on the rear windows.
Appreciate 1
NYG10726.50
      03-06-2022, 11:51 AM   #12
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Good point on the windshield.... I've already replaced 2 due to track damage. Maybe I just have bad luck. Doesn't help that I think BMW uses shitty glass.

What is this protector you speak of?
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think there is PPF for the windshield now.

My front end is PPF'ed.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #14
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Good point on the windshield.... I've already replaced 2 due to track damage. Maybe I just have bad luck. Doesn't help that I think BMW uses shitty glass.

What is this protector you speak of?
I think it's a German thing. My Audi glass is getting HAMMERED. Had to buy a permatex repair kit to fill in a nasty chip a few months ago but looks good as new.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #15
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

RElias21

Schedule is up.

I go out first (as well as some of the other guys from here) at 9:00 so I'll make sure you're all good to go before I head out. At 9:40 you'll be in the classroom with your session starting at 10:20 so you should be able to get everything done without too much chaos.

Get there at 7:00AM, if you want to meet along the way I'll dm you my number. There's a few of us going. Walk over, sign in, empty your car and take it to the tech line. You'll have an hour to do all this before the driver meeting which is plenty of time.
Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      03-13-2022, 08:16 PM   #16
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Watch the above and try to memorize the track (where you brake, where you accelerate, what the turn numbers are and most importantly where the flaggers are). You don't have to learn it like the back of your hand because you'll have an instructor but the more ready you are, the more of a good time you'll have.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 08:22 PM   #17
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Also, I just rewatched the above video and you're not going to be taking those lines entirely. Your car is a lot faster and heavier than the one he is driving in the video. You'll have to watch your steering input after turn 7 where that little crest is and you'll need to brake going into the bowl. It's fast but you will definitely not carry far beyond 75 mph through there on street tires at your first event. I also take a much tighter apex entering the front straight. Every car and driver will have a slight variation which you'll learn over time. Here's the line I took with the Corvette (I had to take inside line at the bowl but I don't actually dislike that line with street tires).

Appreciate 1
RElias21562.50
      03-14-2022, 06:50 PM   #18
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
RElias21

Schedule is up.

I go out first (as well as some of the other guys from here) at 9:00 so I'll make sure you're all good to go before I head out. At 9:40 you'll be in the classroom with your session starting at 10:20 so you should be able to get everything done without too much chaos.

Get there at 7:00AM, if you want to meet along the way I'll dm you my number. There's a few of us going. Walk over, sign in, empty your car and take it to the tech line. You'll have an hour to do all this before the driver meeting which is plenty of time.
Thanks so much Alex. I just realized this track is an 1:45 from me, so I'm def down to meet along the way. Looks like it's going to be an early morning!

I put in the Ferodo's on Saturday, so I'll be the car you can hear squeaking from down the road!
Appreciate 1
NYG10726.50
      03-18-2022, 12:01 PM   #19
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Fingers crossed for you guys and the weather tomorrow... Millville is always weird with weather, often you can eek by and you'll stay dry even when forecast looks ominous
Appreciate 2
NYG10726.50
RElias21562.50
      03-18-2022, 12:08 PM   #20
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fingers crossed for you guys and the weather tomorrow... Millville is always weird with weather, often you can eek by and you'll stay dry even when forecast looks ominous
It'll be similar to the last time you and I went. Forecast looks identical. Few showers in the early session. Clears out later in the day.

Sunday looks great. D_SheerDrivingPleasure should be there for both along with me. RElias21 will be there tomorrow only but I think he'll sign up for another day once he wraps up
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 12:24 PM   #21
jfritz27
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
It'll be similar to the last time you and I went. Forecast looks identical. Few showers in the early session. Clears out later in the day.

Sunday looks great. D_SheerDrivingPleasure should be there for both along with me. RElias21 will be there tomorrow only but I think he'll sign up for another day once he wraps up

Shoot me some texts with those killer lap times between you & Derek .... after I finish work in the morning, I'll be getting myself in the mood by playing with my new QuickJack, replacing front wheel bearings and freshening up my studs

Appreciate 2
      03-18-2022, 12:28 PM   #22
RElias21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You and me both!!!
I'm holding out hope that it will be done before or by 10, and then clear out the rest of the day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0