Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-23-2022, 08:31 PM   #23
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinefd View Post
this sensor + spacer idea is great !
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Engine/B...M3-M4-S55.html

Bimmerworld really needs to create a section for these trick products. It's really hard to find these in their 150pages of catalog pages.
It's pure genius! When I read that they made a change in the GTS to allow another 0.5L I thought there had to be a way to get more!

But they have a section for the GTMore on the website, not sure if it's updated with this part. We've already installed this in the GTS. The only thing better than 7L of oil is even more of it!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 05:47 PM   #24
ABenLauda
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

“ in the aftermarket world, where many times ‘upgrades’ are really just eye candy with insufficient performance”. Curious about this, could you please provide some examples?
      04-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #25
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
It's pure genius! When I read that they made a change in the GTS to allow another 0.5L I thought there had to be a way to get more!

But they have a section for the GTMore on the website, not sure if it's updated with this part. We've already installed this in the GTS. The only thing better than 7L of oil is even more of it!
Yes, very cool mod. Thanks for sharing. I also wish they would make a chassis cheat page that is catered to these types of hardware.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #26
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
Yes, very cool mod. Thanks for sharing. I also wish they would make a chassis cheat page that is catered to these types of hardware.
they have a dedicated page for the GTMore, but not all of it is ready

www.bimmerworld.com/f82-m4-gtmore/
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 03:51 PM   #27
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABenLauda View Post
“ in the aftermarket world, where many times ‘upgrades’ are really just eye candy with insufficient performance”. Curious about this, could you please provide some examples?
trying to keep this thread positive!
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      04-29-2022, 06:40 AM   #28
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Thanks for all the details of you build and how you got here SYT_Shadow Looking forward to the journey!
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11468.50
NYG10579.50
      04-29-2022, 10:30 PM   #29
silverbackf8x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 & F82

Quote:
No internal changes needed. Basically it's a sensor+spacer package.
There aren't internal changes, so the new sensor reports 'full' when the car has 7.3L instead of 6.5L.

The slon stuff is really interesting, more to come there soon
Thank you SYT_Shadow!
I sent this to 4x other F8x S55 owners.
I called in and picked up a oil sensor spacer kit myself.

I was wondering if you had the OE torque specs for the replacement extended spacer studs and nuts?
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      04-29-2022, 10:43 PM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbackf8x View Post
Thank you SYT_Shadow!
I sent this to 4x other F8x S55 owners.
I called in and picked up a oil sensor spacer kit myself.

I was wondering if you had the OE torque specs for the replacement extended spacer studs and nuts?
It's a pretty big deal. This has to be one of the cheapest mods you can do and the additional oil is a Godsend!

I think the torque was 18 ftlbs

We pushed the topic with BimmerWorld but they are the ones who developed it and got everyone to beyond-GTS spec. It's really an awesome moment
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2022, 10:47 PM   #31
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Maintenance

Both GTS1 and GTS2 were bought used, so some basic maintenance was due. Want to make sure everything is in ship shape, and when you're not the first owner, an abundance of caution can't hurt (well, except your wallet?):

Fuel/Spark
-New OEM injectors
-New OEM coils
-New NGK spark plugs

Reliability
-Pinned crankhubs. We don't think this is a problem when stock, as both GTSs are, but it's better to be safe than sorry
-ESS silicone charge pipes

Fluids
-Diff fluid
-Engine oil/filter

Basic maintenance
-New OEM air filter media. The charcoal filters were removed

Not-so-basic work
-Front wheel hubs on GTS2. Wheel bearings on the M4 GT4 are scheduled to be replaced every 5k km, and our experience so far in the platform shows the most they last is 10k miles. When you remove the brake rotors and find grease caked inside the hat, or grease streak marks radially out of the hubs, it's time to replace them. This work is pending on GTS1
-Splitter mounting: the GTS front aero is chassis mounted. Unfortunately, both cars had missing bolts, bent supports and in general the mounting hardware was not intact. All hardware is being replaced. We don't want a missing front splitter to get in the way of another 2:00 at VIR!
-Front thrust bushings/brake bushings: we've been using BimmerWorld solid front bushings for many years, and they've always worked perfectly. One of the few mods we'd do to street driven cars as it has no downside
-Camber plates: GC street in one car, some random Momo (or something?) camber plates that came installed in the second car. They both have our typical alignment that we set at each track day, and that allows us to drive 550+ miles to/from the track without weird tire wear. These will eventually be replaced with the M4 GT4 style camber plates BimmerWorld has developed
-BimmerWorld GTMore oil supply modification. This allows us to increase oil capacity from 7.0L in the GTS to 7.3L. It's a sensor/spacer package and a must-have for track work. It tells the car 7.3L is 'full', so it's very easy to use. You install when you do an oil change by removing the oil sensor and installing the new sensor/spacer package. It could not be easier to do!
-GTS stone filters: we will see how often the stone filters that filter the distilled water supply used in the GTS need to be replaced. We'll start every 6 days and depending on their condition, change the interval

Some future camber plate pics are attached
Attached Images

05-01-2022, 10:54 PM   #32
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Here's the replacement of one of the side splitter supports as well as drilling a new center support point into the bumper.
At some point the front bumper beam was replaced and whoever did the work didn't bother to reinstall the center support

While there we cleaned out the radiators

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-02-2022 at 10:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 08:19 AM   #33
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Here's the replacement of one of the side splitter supports as well as drilling a new center support point into the bumper.
At some point the front bumper beam was replaced and whoever did the work didn't bother to reinstall the center support

While there we cleaned out the radiators
Speaking of radiators, did you install the Zunsport protective grills? Mine have proven effective at trapping wads of hot sticky rubber, etc.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      05-02-2022, 10:36 AM   #34
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
Speaking of radiators, did you install the Zunsport protective grills? Mine have proven effective at trapping wads of hot sticky rubber, etc.
Yes, on both cars. What a great product. It would be nice if they made another one for the top grille area, as that radiator also gets hit a lot
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2022, 12:37 PM   #35
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
It would be nice if they made another one for the top grille area, as that radiator also gets hit a lot
Are you going to just put some mesh behind the kidneys instead? That's been effective for me (and how the M2 CSR does it).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      05-02-2022, 01:19 PM   #36
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Are you going to just put some mesh behind the kidneys instead? That's been effective for me (and how the M2 CSR does it).
That's the plan! although as you see from the pics, the radiators are pretty beat up already

Another concern is airflow. Even widely spaced mesh still restricts 30% of airflow. Then again, it restricts 30% of airflow but you then expect the radiator to not be beat up and work properly
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #37
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
This forum needs more in-depth build threads like this.

Incredibly hyped to tune in!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      05-05-2022, 11:44 AM   #38
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
The slon parts looks very interesting, but where can you order them now? does bimmerworld offer those parts?
Sorry, forgot to reply to the second part of your question: you *are* still able to order Slon parts, they just continue to take a while to get state-side... well worth the wait, if you ask me.

The best way to get in touch / place an order is through his Instagram account, slon_workshop
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 03:05 AM   #39
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Quote:
The slon parts looks very interesting, but where can you order them now? does bimmerworld offer those parts?
Sorry, forgot to reply to the second part of your question: you *are* still able to order Slon parts, they just continue to take a while to get state-side... well worth the wait, if you ask me.

The best way to get in touch / place an order is through his Instagram account, slon_workshop
Pretty sure about all trade (import/export) with Russia is stopped for a long while. Are you saying traditional mail still works?? We need to make these parts stateside for sure.

Mashimarho seems to have made the upper bumper support piece in CF now, available stateside.
      05-06-2022, 09:18 AM   #40
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Pretty sure about all trade (import/export) with Russia is stopped for a long while. Are you saying traditional mail still works?? We need to make these parts stateside for sure.

Mashimarho seems to have made the upper bumper support piece in CF now, available stateside.
The postal service still works to receive things from Russia. We got a CF roof yesterday from Slon Workshop and Move Over Move Over is still getting the billet S65 vanos covers as well.

Oddly you can't ship from the US to Russia, but you can receive things

We have the upper radiator support and the front bumper beam in CF from Slon Workshop, we'll post pics.
Appreciate 1
RSXDC5707.00
      05-06-2022, 02:11 PM   #41
Rollrate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
That's the plan! although as you see from the pics, the radiators are pretty beat up already

Another concern is airflow. Even widely spaced mesh still restricts 30% of airflow. Then again, it restricts 30% of airflow but you then expect the radiator to not be beat up and work properly
Great thread SYT, sub'd. To your point above, after manually straightening out about ten thousand tiny bent fins after my first track season (2018), I wised up and put aluminum hex mesh in front of all radiators. No more bent fins and zero cooling issues in many track events since then. Here's the link: https://www.customcargrills.com/prod...?prod=Perf-Hex
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      05-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #42
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollrate View Post
Great thread SYT, sub'd. To your point above, after manually straightening out about ten thousand tiny bent fins after my first track season (2018), I wised up and put aluminum hex mesh in front of all radiators. No more bent fins and zero cooling issues in many track events since then. Here's the link: https://www.customcargrills.com/prod...?prod=Perf-Hex
This is just what the front grills crave! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #43
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Mini DIY: oil capacity upgrade

We're getting questions on the complexity of the install of the oil capacity upgrade kit from BimmerWorld.

The main objective of this mod is to increase the lateral acceleration limits of the oil system.
Stock 6.5L = 1.3g
CS/GTS 7.0L = 1.4g
BimmerWorld mod 7.3L = 1.46g

It's very simple to do in any oil change.

The kit consists of a spacer, a O-ring and a new sensor

Presteps:
Drain the oil as the oil sensor is at the bottom of the oil pan
Remove the aluminum stiffening plate at the bottom of the engine bay

This is what the sensor looks like once you have access to it

Disconnect the sensor

Use a 10mm socket to unscrew the 3 bolts

Some oil will drip out along with the sensor once you remove it, but it's not a lot

Here's the oil sensor out of the car

There is a spacer already installed in the oil pan. This is a GTS so no idea if a 'civic/ZCP' F8X has one already. Regardless, if there is a spacer it should be removed

With a screw driver or another similar tool, gently pry between the spacer and the oil pan. It doesn't take a lot to separate it

Comparison between the stock GTS spacer and the new BimmerWorld spacer

Make sure to install the rubber gasket in the kit onto the BimmerWorld spacer

Install the spacer onto the oil sensor. Note it only fits one way, so keep rotating until the holes match up.

Tighten to 10Nm

Done! Now fill to 7.3L. The car will say 'full' is 7.3L vs 6.5L/7.0L before (civic/ZCP vs CS/GTS respectively)

05-09-2022, 09:33 AM   #44
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Thanks for sharing…much appreciated!

Related, what oil will you guys run?
Appreciate 0